50 and over 5k and beyond

February runs & workouts (Read 19 times)

adkkev

AZ - we live in upstate NY, about 45 miles west of Albany.  And if you're going to try snowshoeing, don't forget to get some hiking poles to use for balance!!  Snowshoeing is a lot of fun, especially if someone else breaks out the trail for you!!

5 miles on the treadmill, .5 miles running on the indoor track, and .5 miles of a walking cool down.

More snow today, about 2" at our house, enough to cover the roads again!

Chantilly - hope everything is okay after your fall!  Last winter I was running along, daydreaming, and the next thing I knew was that I was falling head first onto the sidewalk!  Ouch.  Then during my trail run last August at Moosalamoo (in Vermont), on a relatively flat, smooth section of trail, down I went.   I have no idea what I tripped on ... fortunately there wasn't a soul around to witness this epic event.

justrundan

Fletch- when I ran my fastest 5K last summer I warmed up with a 2 mile slow job, finishing about 10-15minutes before the start of the race.  And I definitely don't eat anything close to the start of the race; I want the stomach empty.  I agree with keeping your pace from the beginning, hard to do on the shorter races.

Chantilly- wow, hope the fingers heal well.  Keep at it.

Deb- you had 48 today!    Stuck inside all day; the early morning outdoor run didn't happen because we had dense fog early, and didn't want to chance that on top of slippery conditions.  there aren't many cars out that time of morning, but it would only take one!

I did 4 mi on TM at work, tomorrow is regular 6AM meeting, so I'm gonna miss the best weather, this week anyway.  O well, it will come around again soon.

Ray- 1st in AG!  Nice race!

AZ- good to hear you got some warmer weather too.  Must have felt great to get outside after all this time!  Enjoy.

Dan

NH Runner

Wednesday, 2/19... An experiment today, walked the treadmill instead of skiing or running.   Just a mile, I wanted to see if it would stress my achilles.   Anyway, speed @ 4.3 mph, tilt @ 4 degrees and heart rate to 113.  Not much of a workout, but my achilles liked it...

Ray... yes, my achilles is pain free, but I'm still going to wait a bit before trying a run.   I REALLY want to get this behind me, so am being extra careful this time.   Hey, 1st in age group!   Pretty good for a guy with a bad leg...   Nice going!

az...  remember, get into an "athletic stance" on the skis.   You won't ski any better, but you'll look good when you fall...   For someone who hasn't run in a while, you're doing pretty dern good!   'Bout time you showed your face back here!

gito... a couple nice runs for you too and I'm jealous of your warm weather!   You're right, I'm fortunate to have the railtrail, I get to choose either the woods or the road every time I run.

adkkev & Dan... you guys should be proud, a steady diet of treadmill running is TOUGH!

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Congratulations on a good race placing with a tight calf.  Lots of hiking keeps you in shape.

The bleachers were kinder than the sidewalks I have fallen on...

gito57  whoops!  DS=son?  DD=daughter?  More snow for you, but 48F=not too bad

NH Runner social event with McGyver2, eh? Any new inventions in the works?

Az2mntrail Hope the sunset helped to make up for the snowfall.

adkkev I guess it is easy to get distracted. You and your wife seem to have a lot of different activities to do.

justrundan good job on the treadmill. Dense fog? Winter can't last too much longer.

4 miles. One finger looks like a blackened sausage, the other was just cut up.

My male runner friend (73 yrs. old) told me he was running on a park path a couple summers ago, and ran right into the gate that keeps cars off the path! It knocked him on his behind, but nothing injured but his pride, he said.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Day started out sunny.  Although temps barely in the high 20s, should have run when sun was out but work kept me busy.  It got cloudy by 2 pm but temp was around 30 degrees, w/c around 20 degrees!! WOW!! By the time I got out, it started to get breezy.  Headwind first mile and third mile, finished 4.5 miles, 46 mins. with a minute walk break at 2 miles.  Even Odie was eager to run with me on my cool down .  Ankle is feeling the workout so should be wearing my ankle support.  I hope to run each day but there's 60% chance of snow Thurs/Fri, with some BELOW zero windchill temps.  It wouldn't be so bad as long as it doesn't get too windy, BRRR!  I'm wearing a long-sleeved and light jacket with fleece tights/gloves/cap but I was in town and saw couple of female runners wearing only capris and short sleeved t-shirt .  But it was during the SUNNY part of the day. 

adkkev and Rich:  thanks for the advice and the thoughtful way to fall with grace .

Crazy Diamond

adkkev-Nice TM/track miles!  Another 2" snowfall? At least it covers up all the brown/grey/black snow!

Dan-Lovin' this February thaw!

Rich-*in my best mom voice*  Richie, be careful with your achilles!

Chantilly-Yikes! Visualizing your injured fingers  Hope they heal quickly.  In true Chantilly-fashion though, you were right back out there!

Do you and your son run similar paces?  I'm so slow, the only time son is near me is when he laps me on the track!

AZ-After enjoying the milder temps in AZ, it must be sooo hard getting out in MN's frigid temps again.  Good for you getting out there!  Sorry the ankle is still giving you grief!  Hang in there friend!

Every Wednesday is a long day with car pool duty, work, and son's lessons and rehearsals.  Last evening while he had a 3 hour rehearsal, I headed to the track.  Sat in the car for a while having a deep conversation with myself. Go to Baker's Square for a slice of cherry pie or workout???  Chose 1 mile walk + 1 mile easy run + 5 miles @ HM pace + 1 mile easy + 1 mile walk.    Extra time to do some lunges, planks and stretches.  Picked up son, then home for Cherry Pop-Tarts (yes people, I ate 2!).   Not the same as a nice slice of cherry pie!

Run strong and safe friends!

Quo Vadis?

Fletch

"Ask, and ye shall receive..." - thanks so much for all the feedback on race etiquette and preparation. Very helpful advice!

Glad to hear some of you are enjoying some reasonable weather, and it's inspiring to see the workout summaries, in spite of weather and various injuries/ailments. Az - hope the ankle doesn't keep you from enjoying the warm-up. Chantilly - hope the fingers are healing well.  Ray - sounds like the calf is coming right along.  WTG on the 1st in AG!  Good race.  Rich - glad the Achilles is doing better.  I'll echo what the others have said...don't rush it!

Debra - I wish you had chosen the cherry pie instead.  Then I wouldn't feel so bad admitting that this past Saturday, I didn't run, but I did find time to visit The Sweet Shop for a whopping slice of "to-die-for" pound cake.

Dan and adkkev - nice work on the TM.  Hope the weather breaks for you soon.

Clear roads and sidewalks here now.  3.5 miles yesterday after work.

Thanks again for your suggestions on the race.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail  Hope that Odie is doing ok.  You seem to be well in spite of the ankle. Do you always have to wear an ankle support?  BTW: capris and a short-sleeved shirt?….those girls must have been young...

gito57 my son is 23 and can run for up to an hour a lot faster than me, even after  a couple weeks off.   He likes to stay in shape and running is the quickest way to do it for him.

Cherry pie would have been better, I agree...

Fletch_NC good luck on your race!  I am sure that you are ready.  Just hope the weather co-operates!

12 miles.  A marathon training group was there..gave me some motivation..

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 2/20... We've got rain coming in overnight and into tomorrow, so first thing for me today was to get the snow off my roof.    There was close to 2 feet up there and with the rain coming in, I'm just not comfortable leaving that kind of weight up there.   Soooo, some 2+ hours after I started shoveling, I finally climbed back down off my roof this morning. 

And I just got off the treadmill after 3 miles.   I'm babying my achilles, even though there's no pain, so set the pace at 5 mph and left it there.

Chantilly... that injured finger sounds sore, a blackened sausage? Yikes!  Not sure about the next McGyver project, I'd thought about a robot to snowblow my driveway, but one that would shovel my roof might even be a better idea...    Sore finger or not, you're still running like a champ!

az... what's up with your ankle?   Is it an injury you're trying to run through, or something you deal with all the time?   At any rate, you had a nice run today, good for you.

gito... you had a really nice workout today, I'll say it again, you cover all the bases in your workouts.  Nicely done!   I like to cook and tried once to make a cherry pie, but used frozen cherries and didn't like the results at all.

Fletch... can't wait to hear how your race goes.  First and foremost, remember to have fun...

justrundan

LOL!

Sat in the car for a while having a deep conversation with myself. Go to Baker's Square for a slice of cherry pie or workout???

If the choice had been pecan or peach, I don't think I would have made the workout Debra.    Nice 9 miles.

Fletch- hope the weather holds for your race.  Have a blast, and finish strong.

Chantilly- you keep churning out those double digit workouts!  Way to go.

Rich- that is a double workout, from the roof to the TM!  I don't think my back would take it after 2 hours on the roof.

Got to the TM at work earlier than usual, so I was able to get 6 miles in this morning.  The spring thaw is disappearing fast, with winds up to 35 mph, gusting to 50 overnight and tomorrow.  I think I may be inside again!

Have safe runs friends!

Dan

So glad and proud of myself for getting my butt out the door before noon!!  Early morning snow, it let up for a couple of hours but breeze picking up as I started about 11 am.  Around 2 miles, it started to snow again, wind picked up, temp is slowly falling. Finished 5.1 miles, 49 mins!!  About 28 degrees, 13 mph wind, 10 degrees windchill, it was great!!  Ideal winter running conditions IMO!!  Took Odie with me on 1/4 mile cool-down jog while I took some photos/videos. After a glass of chocolate milk, I went snowshoeing in my back yard for about 20 minutes, yippee!!  Odie didn't like being outside that long, LOL!! Met DH for dinner in town.  Haven't stopped snowing, temp is around 7 degrees, 20 mph wind, -5 degrees windchill now.  Hope this is our last 'major' storm.  So I've run 3 consecutive days, YAY!!

Rich, Chantilly:  I mentioned I tweaked my right ankle when I stepped into a hole in the dirt parking lot during a walk break.  I was running the state paved trail by the lake back in Nov. 2013.  I've had injuries in ankles and right knee, shoulders, had contusions, etc. from playing basketball (since 4th grade thru college), and volleyball, track and field mostly from Jr./High Sch days.  A few minor ones from snowboarding in my 30s/40s.  Haven't snowboard in about 10 yrs!  Anyway, the ankle 'injury' in Nov. was in a 'different' part of the ankle not use to such injuries  so I think that's why it took longer to heal.  Does that make any sense?!?   'Old injury' area usually recovers in days.  Because I have been running trails, it's just a habit now for me to wear an ankle support (neoprene).  The snowy road and/or technical trails makes for a good workout for my ankles/right knee so I wear it for stability (right knee, surgery '94).  I usually don't wear ankle support when I run on flat, paved, dry road.

Chantilly:  'blackened sausage finger' .......ouch!!  But I bet it's a pretty shade of purple now .  Glad you're okay!!  WTG on the 12 miler, amazing!

Deb:  that is awesome time management workout!!  WOW!!  Does it seem like we get more 'quality' run/workouts when we feel a time crunch?!?  I was trying to outrun the storm today, LOL!!  Scrumptious way to reward yourself .

Got to the TM at work earlier than usual, so I was able to get 6 miles in this morning.  The spring thaw is disappearing fast, with winds up to 35 mph, gusting to 50 overnight and tomorrow.  I think I may be inside again!

Have safe runs friends!

Dan:  The storm moved pretty quickly into your neck of the woods from our area!!  But that darn wind!!    I'm jealous you get in those miles so early!!  Not sure about my weekend running, will just play it day by day and be obsessive with checking the forecast.

adkkev

another 5 miles at the Y along with a .5 mile cool down walk afterwards.  Felt kinda tropical in the gym this evening ... I think they could have turned down the heat just a notch or two.

We got a quick burst of snow earlier this evening, giving us another 3 inches of wet snow on top of everything we already have.  But it's supposed to turn to ice over night, then rain tomorrow.  Yuck.

Yucky here too adkkev!!  It's still snowing, about -2 degrees, and the 25 mph wind gusts makes for a crummy, bitter, dreary cold day, windchill is -22 degrees!!    Suppose to 'warm' up to a high of 7 degrees but wind and windchill not changing much for the rest of the day .......or for the weekend, ugh!  So rest day for me.  Despite the snowy/windy conditions, FIL and his lady friend are coming today, driving from ND, for the weekend.

NH Runner

Friday, 2/21... 4 mile treadmill run today, I'm gradually increasing the intensity in these things to see how my achilles holds up.    Speed to 5.5 mph, heart rate to 130 and not a peep out of my achilles...

adkkev... if I were a betting man, I'd bet you can't WAIT to get outside for run.   You do great on that treadmill...

az... nice run yesterday!  And you topped it off with a little snowshoeing to boot, good for you!   Hang in there with your FIL, he may be coming to visit to add a little sanity to his life...