50 and over 5k and beyond

February runs & workouts (Read 19 times)

justrundan

AZ-so sorry the weather just won't let up for you!   Hope your weekend turns out better than expected!

adkkev- yes, running in a warm room on the TM takes some getting used to.  Fortunately there is a fan I can usually turn on myself to help keep cool.

Rich- good news on the Achilles!

AZ, the wind made it to us also.  When I could feel it while driving I knew I didn't want to run in it,  so ran the TM a little different today, and liked how it went.  after about a 2 mile warm up I did a progressive run, bumping speed by 0.1 every tenth of a mile, up to a point where I wasn't sure I could go further, then walked a few minutes.  Then I started it over, this time bumping 0.1 mph every minute, up to the same pace, then walked .25 to cool down.  7 miles total.  The other thing that made it go by more quickly was using music and my earphones.  I recently discovered Pandora (I know, a little slow, right) and was listening to Simon and Garfunkel 'station'.  That gave me a lot of 60's/70's music that I really enjoyed.  Big smile came to my face automatically as soon as I heard Jim Croce start in on "Operator".  Love his songs.

Stay warm in the mid-west and elsewhere; here we have at least another week of the cold spell!

BTW, what type headphones/earphones does anyone use?  I have a hard time getting mine to stay in place. Any suggestions?

Dan

Chantilly75

justrundan  +1 on Jim Croce.  "You don't mess around with Jim"

I  got new headphones after Christmas.  Sennheiser PMX 685i Adidas Sports in ear neckband type. ($55 on amazon)

I thought they may not fit over my ears properly because of my glasses, but they don't bother them at all.  Very good sound, also, and I can still hear a little outside noise, for safety.

My son likes Sony MDR G45 neckband type, but they get really sweaty, because they cover up the entire outer ear.

az2mntrail  poor you, this weekend! (FIL plus GF) Hope everything will be ok.

6 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

5 miles on the treadmill, .5 miles on the indoor track, followed by .5 miles of a walking cool down.  Didn't feel quite so hot in the Y tonight even though it was warmer outside.  Dan - there's a small fan on the treadmills but it's small and blows towards your midsection ... I'd prefer to have a fan blowing on my face!

I have an older ipod with the original earphones ... so they don't always stay in place either but I just deal with it.  I only wear them when running at the Y ... when I run outside I don't take my ipod.

Rain overnight, then nothing on my way to work this morning ... but then early in the afternoon the monsoon started coupled with some lightning & thunder.  Made it into the low 40s I think, but it was in the high 30s by the time I got home.  Real dense fog tonite on my way to/from the Y.  Some thin ice forming here & there ... gonna be one of those black ice nights I think.

rmcj001

Quick note before I head out for the day.

Everyone seems to be running well.  Rich sounds like the achilles is healing and you're doing the right things.  Chantilly, hope the finger is a little less sausage like.  Az, Dan, Debra sounds like you should send your weather my way - good to see you all are keeping things going in spite of the inclement weather.  Fletch hope the race went well.  Adkkev you've got bad weather too, nice TM work.

Forgotten where I left off, oh well. Wednesday 5 mile run with work mates 50 minutes (nice and slow).  Thursday 7.1 in 57:30 - weather is warm here.  Yesterday, Friday, 11 miles in 1:32:30 (mol).  Recovery run today 5.1 miles in 45:11.  Calf is feeling mostly normal and feeling safe in resuming schedule.

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 2/22... Our temp hit 51 degrees with sunshine today, so there's no way I was staying inside.   Running pants, one L.S. & one S.S. tech shirt, gloves, hat and I was ready to go.   I wanted to run 5 miles, but right at the end of 4 felt a little twinge in my achilles, so shut it down right there and walked home.    Happy with the splits, I hit 9:13, 9:03, 9:05 and 9:11 and I think I'm fine, but wanted to be safe rather than sorry.   Tomorrow will tell the story.

We've got family coming to eat later, so I've got lasagna, a vegetable salad and chocolate cream pie on the menu...

Dan... I like what you're doing on the treadmill.   Our bodies get really efficient if we throw the same thing at it every day, mixing up your pace like you did keeps a variety in the mix.   Perfect!

adkkev... is your weekend weather improving?   Another solid session on the T.M.

Chantilly... you're like the Eveready Bunny, you just keep going & going!

Ray... nice running lately even while your calf recovers, good for you!

Chantilly75

adkkev black ice is not nice..

rmcj001 nice training runs after your race!

NH Runner 51F would be tempting to get outside. Sounds like you had a good day.

3 miles in the morning with son.

5 miles after lunch.

Need longer runs, not ready for a spring marathon in April.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

5.25 miles this evening OUTSIDE!!  First outdoor run since Jan 1st.  A few slick spots here & there but easily avoidable for the most part.  A bit of a breeze from time to time, temp maybe about 34 or so.  Mixed in a lot of hills along the way too.  Felt really good to get out & run rather than run on the treadmill.  Time seems to go by so much faster when I'm running outdoors (compared to running on a treadmill) - anyone else feel that way?

Chantilly - how's the finger?  Healing well I hope.

Rich - sounds like you had even nicer weather than we did today - way to get out there & enjoy it.  Smart move to cut the run short when you felt that twinge.

Fletch

Az - Hope the weekend is going well will FIL and his GF.

Dan - I like the changeup on the TM.  Sounds like that would keep it a little more interesting.  RE: ear buds - I'll look forward to the other responses - I have the same problem with mine.

adkkev - Another good TM workout.  Hope you didn't have problems with black ice last night.

Ray - Sounds like the calf is coming along fine.  Nice runs!

Rich - Good news on the Achilles.  Glad you got some decent weather to test it.

Chantilly - "need more miles" is the last thing I associate with your workouts.  I think you'll be fine for your April marathon...but then, I am still really new to this. 

Mardi Gras Miles 5k race report:  On advice from you guys, I tried to keep my regular routine.  Ate a power bar about an hour before the start of the race, with a cup of coffee.  Got to the race site and checked out the start area and spoke briefly with the race director.  Warmed up with a 15 minute jog, mixed with a few sprints.  Had my smartphone with me, and a plan.I knew I would need energy in the last mile.  This was a trail run, and the last .2 miles is steep uphill (about 6% grade, by my calculation).  At the top of this hill, you come out into the field at the college, with about a 50 yard sprint to the finish.  My plan was to run the first mile at about a 9 - 9:30 pace.  Figured I could pick it up a little in the second mile, and then have enough cushion in the last mile to keep the average pace at 9:40 or below, which is what I would need to break 30 minutes.

So how does the old saying go..."the best laid plans of mice and men..." - you know the rest.  Right at the start line, I ran into a friend that I hadn't talked to in a while.  Didn't even know he was running the race.  Hit the button on my gps at the start, then just tried to keep my footing, not run over any kids, and not get run over myself.  Ran along, chatting occassionally with the friend and just totally enjoying the run around the lake.  He commented that we would keep it "slow and steady," and that's what it felt like, even though I didn't even look at my gps until we hit the one mile marker.  8:13 for mile one! In hindsight, maybe it would have been better to not look at the gps at all.   I didn't feel tired, until I realized I shouldn't be running that fast.  Obviously, I slowed for miles 2 and 3, then struggled up the hill at the finish. Was shooting for a sub 30 time, came in at 28:24.  A PR for me, but that's not saying much, considering this was only my second race.  Very pleased.  Several veteran racers have said that this particular course adds about 30 seconds to everyone's typical 5k time, mainly because of the difficult hill at the finish.

I took the advice that most of you gave here, and really enjoyed the run.  Next up...Shamrock and Roll 5k on March 15th.  Man, this running thing is ALOT of fun!  Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement.  It has helped me stick with it.

adkkev

6 miles of snowshoeing today ... beautiful!!  Not quite 40 degrees, mix of sun & clouds for most of the day.  Followed snow machine trails/tracks all the way out & back - much easier than trying to break trail in mashed potato snow.  Met only a couple snow machines so it was a nice quiet hike most of the time.

Fletch!  Nice race ... & congrats on the PR.

NH Runner

I took today off, but wanted to comment on Fletch's race.   First, congrats on your PR, you must feel great about that!   Secondly, that 8:13 first mile bodes well for future races, you've got a lot of potential!   And lastly, yesterday's race was a great speedwork session and will pay dividends in upcoming races.   Congrats again!

adkkev... nice workout!!

justrundan

Fletch- great job on the 5K buddy!  It took me several years to break 30.  As long as you stay healthy you will continue to see improvement.

Rich- 51 degrees, wow!    I can hardly wait.

adkkev- 6 miles on the snow shoes= good workout!  easier on your knees too.

Forced myself outside Saturday, and glad I did.  It wasn't too bad once I got warmed up.  Did LSD of 11 mi, last one cool down.  Today I just walked about 2 mile 'recovery'.   Back to the TM tomorrow morning. Depending on which weather service, they are predicting sub-zero nights either 5 or 7 nights out of next 10! 

Run strong, safe and warm!

Dan

NH Runner

Monday, 2/24... I got lucky, after Saturday's stunt trying to run 5 miles on a less than 100% achilles, I'm still ok.   I started out early today with the idea of running the railtrail, but today's below freezing temp after 2 days of 50 degree weather left the trail with rough footing that was frozen solid.    I never got beyond a walk / jog and packed it in at 2 miles.

This evening was 2 miles on the treadmill, pace to 5.8 mph with no issues and called it a day.

adkkev... to answer your question, yes, the clock drags when I'm on the treadmill.  It feels like I'm running at about 1mph...

dan... nice run!  11 miles is good stuff!

Fletch

adkkev - thanks.  Glad you finally got some decent weather.  Nice workout, too - 6 miles on the snowshoes.  WTG!

Rich - thanks for jumping in on your "day off."  And yes, that first mile pace really made me feel good about "future prospects."  I'm cautiously optimistic...I want to keep improving, but at a safe pace.  And I'm glad your Achilles didn't "protest" too hard after the 5 miler. I'm sure it was a relief to get in the 2 miles on the TM without pain.

Dan - thanks!  And a great run for you Saturday - 11 miles.  WTG.  Hope the sub-zeroes miss you this week.

Rested Sunday, and had a great visit with DD2, SIL and the GKs (is that right for grandkids?).  Made it back in time to get the dogs out on a 2 mile walk in the evening.  Today, I added an extra twist to my run...hill repeats (since the hill at the end of the race Saturday kicked my butt so bad ).  On one of my regular neighborhood routes, there's a couple blocks of moderately steep incline.  Did an easy two miles around town, to the hill, then did 5 repeats - hard up, slow jog down.  Walked for about 3 minutes after the last one, then did another couple miles back to the house.  Total 5 miles, including the hill work.

Follow-up note on the race:  Several of the local hot-shots skipped this one.  Only about 200 runners total.  The winner finished with a time of 19:14.  Oh, he's 12 years old!  And his 10 year old brother was only 1:30 behind him, at 20:46.  As George Bernard Shaw said, "youth is wasted on the young."

adkkev

another 6 miles on the treadmill at the Y followed by .5 cool down walk.

Temps have dropped considerably since the weekend & the wind has been blowing quite heavily since last night ... dropping the wind chill to at least zero.  Forecast is calling for colder temps as the week moves on ... looks like more indoor treadmill running for me!

Crazy Diamond

Fletch-CONGRATULATIONS on the PR and a well run race! Putting a hill at the end of a 5k - just not nice! I enjoyed reading your RR, too.  I can tell, you're hooked!

Chantilly-"need longer runs, not ready"  I'll echo Fletch's comments as well.  You are NO slouch!  This winter has been absolutely brutal for getting the miles done due to having to run on the track or TM.  How many 20+ milers do feel you need to run during FM training?

Rich-Ahh ... 51 degrees!  Glad you were able to enjoy it and test out the achilles.  Wise move backing off the next day.  Take care.

Dan-Great job getting the 11 miles run on Saturday.  I wanted to get outside on Sunday, but the wind was fierce.  Any HM's  for you this spring?

AZ-Yea! on the 3-day streak.  Hope all went well for you and DH this weekend.

adkkev-Nice you've been able to get outdoors and break up the TM running.  Time running outdoors does fly by.  While on a TM, I'm always checking the time and it feels like I've been on it for hours and it's only been ... 10 minutes!   I never feel that way at the indoor track.  Perhaps passing by things makes it different than the TM.

Ray-Good news on the calf.  btw- KT tape from TJ Maxx was the pre-cut variety.  Thought it was good to have on hand.  They have great deals on gear from time to time.

Sunday -  ran 11 and walked 1 mile at the indoor track.  Yesterday - domestic workout, then stretches.  Began new training plan for HM in May.   5 - 7 mpw more than the RW plan I did last year.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?