50 and over 5k and beyond

February runs & workouts (Read 19 times)

Chantilly75

Fletch_NC congratulations on your 5 Km!  There's no reason why you can't train to get down to a 24 minute 5 Km in the future.  Especially since you said you never felt it, till you looked at your GPS.  Running with friends makes it a bit easier. A hill at the end makes it harder.

NH Runner your temps are up and down, there!

adkkev Good cross training you have been doing, with the snow shoeing, the renovations, the treadmill.

My fingers are better, except for the cuts which are slow to heal up in the cold weather. (less circulation)

justrundan sounds like you enjoyed your run outside. Too bad the cold is returning.

gito57  Those added miles should help in your HM.

As for my training, I do too many middle distance runs and not enough 18-20 milers. (Just find it difficult to go out for 3+ hours by myself once a week.)

couple days off due to work.

windchill -28F

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 2/25... my buddy called this morning to tell me the groomer had gone through on the railtrail and this being Tuesday, there were a bunch of people planning to XC ski.   The trail's frozen solid and the groomer did a good job of leveling the snow, but nothing about how hard the ground was.   Soooo... with 3/4 mile to go, my feet came out from under me and I smacked the ground HARD...  Other than being pretty dern sore, I had a good workout.   6.5 miles of skate skiing...

Chantilly... I can't remember the particulars, but think you should run your last 20 miler 3 weeks out from your race.   If the weather will cooperate, it's not too late for your April marathon.   Good luck!

Fletch... hill repeats will definitely make you stronger, well done!   The 12 year old who won the 5k?  That kid's FAST!

adkkev... another solid treadmill run, WTG...

Gito... I think a half marathon is my favorite distance to race, good luck with your new training plan.   11 miles indoors is awesome, nice run!

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly-Windchill -28F.  Hope your work place is warm!

Rich-Oh, sorry you took a spill!  Sounded like a nice day of skiing, until then.  Did you see the exciting finish of the Olympic xc 50k on Sunday?

About 8 miles at the indoor track, then 6 100m striders.  It was senior skate while I was there.  Strauss waltz's playing on the PA.  Think 2001 - A Space Odyssey when the star ships are floating and spinning in space.   Made for interesting running music!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

rmcj001

Rich - Ouch!  Hard and cold...Glad to see you're keeping busy.  Hopefully, the achilles will cooperate soon.

Chantilly - Think we could all use longer runs.  You've still got time to sneak some in.  Good luck!

adkkev - Good to see you're keeping up in spite of the weather.  I know you'll be glad to see better weather when it arrives!

Fletch  - Congrats on the PR!  Now, you need to learn to "Gump" race!  Don't ask me how.

Dan - sounds like things are progressing nicely.  Wanted to mention on the earphones, I think if you have the apple ipod buds they work better if you put them in sideways with the speaker facing forward, at least they stay put that way for me...I also have a pair of Denon's that work well.

Debra - The pre-cut KT tape looks so much easier.  I still have the old stuff and most of the youtube video's use the pre-cut.  What's your next race?  and when is your relay with Dan?  Keep up the good runs, that sub 1 hour 10k is coming soon...

Az - Hope the runs and FIL visits have/are going well.

Sunday was planning on doing 7 miles on TM, got to two when nature called - some friends came over soon after and didn't get back to finish it.  7.1 miles and probably 73 or 74F yesterday in 59:55.  Little cooler today, 70F?, 7 miles in 55:26 - first time I've had a training run over 5 miles in sub 8 minute miles.  Last 4 miles were 7:55, 7:24, 7:39, 7:15 and yes, the calf is feeling pretty good!

Run safe everyone!

Ray

adkkev

Rich - nice skiing!  Except for the fall of course!!  Hope you're not too sore after that spill.

Chantilly - enjoy your rest days ... of course I wouldn't be running outside with a wind chill of -28 either!

Debra - nice run!!

5 miles on the treadmill tonight followed by .5 mile walking cool down on the indoor track.

Short message:  weekend visit did NOT go well between DH and FIL's GF.  I'm more worried about DH and his relationship with his dad. It just wasn't 'FROSTY' inside but outside too.    With the windchill, it's -31 degrees for the night, and not much different for days to come!!  Can you believe that?!? 31 BELOW ZERO!!!! I have NOT run outside since last WED!!!  Another yucky week, it seems .

Fletch:  WAY TO GO!!!  CONGRATS on the PR!!!!  You are doing so AWESOME!!  Just over 8 minute per mile is excellent regardless of the moment in time when you actually 'noticed' how fast you started ...........that's how you learn ..........you still had a great finished time!!  I'm so happy for you!! 

NH Runner

Wednesday, 2/26... felt like I'd been "bodyslammed" by Hulk Hogan this morning after yesterday's fall, but got on the treadmill and walked a mile, then jogged a mile.    That loosened me up, got the circulation going and got me feeling better.   That's it for today, but I expect to be back at it tomorrow.

Gito... while the Olympics were going on, I could replay any event on the computer because of my cable provider.   I tried to access that today to watch the women's 30K, but was denied permission.   I WAS able to watch highlights though and watched Norway sweep the podium.  What a race!   And what a runner you are!  Another nice workout yesterday!

Ray... you just keep getting faster!   You've got to be happy with where you're at...

adkkev... rock solid on the TM again!  The calender says March is just around the corner, things have GOT to get better soon!

Az... you always have such a positive attitude.   Give DH the support he needs and stay strong, things WILL get better!

Chantilly75

NH Runner sorry about your fall…that would make a person feel pretty stiff (even if Hulk Hogan is being The Nanny, nowadays…he could still do some damage...

gito57 sounds very interesting at your track..makes it a bit easier to run indoors…nice workout..

rmcj001  70F=a little cooler???  (envious +)  Nice training paces.

adkkev hope you're keeping warm with the reno's (moving things inside and outside)

az2mntrail sorry you had such a bad weekend.. I can understand how your husband must feel.

We share the low windchill, it was -30F here this morning..

8 miles. Could barely force myself out the door in the cold.  (Won't even go out for groceries..leftovers are good enough...

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

Chantilly - thanks.  I would love to get to a sub 25 minute 5k.  I suspect it may take a little longer to get from 28 minutes down to 25 minutes, than it took to get from 31 down to 28.  Nice workouts - I can't fathom -30 w.c.!  Don't blame you for staying in.

Rich - Sorry about the fall.  WTG getting back in the saddle (on the TM) next day.  I know that was painful.

Az - thanks.  Sorry to hear the weekend was so rough.  Sometimes all you can do is "hunker down" and wait for the storm to pass.  Hope it passes soon for you and DH.

adkkev - nice work on the TM, as usual.  Keep plugging away, warmer weather is coming.

Ray - thanks.  You may be onto something - maybe I should just run the next 5k like a Gump run.  Glad the calf is better.  You're running GREAT!

Debra - thanks.  And DW said the same thing the other day - "you're hooked on this running thing, aren't you?"  I wish she could run with me, but she's supportive. She was at the finish for the 5k Saturday.  After I caught my breath, she couldn't pass up the opportunity to rib me a litte, though.  Her: "I saw the winner when he crossed the line...want me to point him out to you?" Me: "Sure."  Her: He's right over there, playing in the bouncy house with the other 12 year old kids."  OUCH!  Nice workout - next senior skate night, I think you should suggest a little tit-for-tat: you ran striders to their Strauss, now they should have to skate to your AC/DC!

Nice Gump run this evening.  Started the GPS, then put it in the background and just ran without looking at it.  Ended up doing 6 miles in 58:24.  I'm still trying to build my base, but at least, off in the distance, I can see the possibility of stepping up to a 10k, maybe in the fall.  We'll see how it goes for the next couple months.

adkkev

another 5 miles on the treadmill this evening (plus the usual half mile cool down).

nice running everyone!! 

NH Runner

Thursday, 2/27... my workouts are so boring these days.     Torn between running in a 20 mph wind on the highway, or taking to the railtrail where Hulk Hogan's waiting, I put on the Yaktrax and headed for the trail.  Warmed for the first mile with a walk / jog, then jogged the next 2 miles.  Splits were 14:11, 11:01 and 10:44.   I'm searching for a level of activity that doesn't upset my achilles while I wait an eternity for it to heal...

Chantilly... avoiding the cold are we?   Toughen up or I'll send Hogan your way.   Nice run!

adkkev... are your workouts getting boring yet? 

Fletch...your wife's funny.   I've chased 10 year olds to the finish in a 5K, you'd think parents would keep their kids home where they're not underfoot during a race, wouldn't you?    A sub 24:00 5K?  I bet you go even faster...

Chantilly75

Fletch_NC If you ran 6 miles in 58:24, you are ready for a 10 KM.   That's just another .2 miles. Even taking into account that your GPS may be off a little due to tree cover, clouds or buildings, that is a good time for 6 miles after your 5 Km of 28 min.

adkkev keeping it going on the treadmill...

NH Runner Yak Trax are a good idea.  Yeah, I think we are all bored...

Day off due to having cold symptoms.  Sniffles, sore throat, sneezing.  Watching 80's music videos and having soup.

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

adkkev & Rich - nice workouts.  For one of you, I hope for better weather, for the other, quick healing.

Chantilly - 80's music videos and soup...almost makes me want a cold...almost.  Hope you're feeling better soon.  RE:  10k... I feel like I could handle one now, but I'm trying not to push too hard, too far, or too fast.  There are several 10k's coming up in this area.  I may look at one in May or June.  I'll get through March first.  Two 5k's coming up...one on March 15th, and one two weeks later on the 29th (tentative on this one...the radio station is a sponsor, so I may have to work the race instead of running).

I don't often run on consecutive days.  But I am trying to gradually increase my weekly miles.  Would like to be running at least 4 days each week.  So I went out this evening for a short one.  Two things working against me...I ran yesterday...and I ran 6 miles yesterday, which is still a fairly long distance for me.  So my legs weren't exactly fresh today.  Managed 3 miles at 9:46 pace.  Planning to rest tomorrow, then run one (or both) days on the weekend.

Wishing you all safe runs, mild weather, and quick healing.

justrundan

You all have been busy! 

only 2 runs so far this week; missed Monday due to feeling under the weather, and Wed PM run didn't occur due to work.  I actually went outside Tuesday morning, running from home, got in 4.8.  This morning did 6.6 on TM at hospital.  Hope for long run tomorrow, probably on TM due to weather.

chantilly- hope you get over the cold quickly!

adkkev- These treadmiles are growing old.   Need to continue to vary it to keep my interest.   Way to keep at it.

Ray- yes, at a pace like that, I'd  say the calf must be doing very well!

Debra- no firm HM plans for me, thinking about the Madison HM in late May, but not committed to it yet.

Fletch- I like DW's sense of humor.     I've been beat up by the little munchkins too many times!  I'm amazed when I look at the fast times and see the ages of some of the young runners!

Finish off the week strong friends.

Dan