50 and over 5k and beyond

June - Tune-up runs and virtual races! (Read 8 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I wanted to send a reply, so I guess I'll start the month!

Art - Heat in low humidity is not bad, still the early morning runs are a good idea! Yeah, the work on the squirrel barrier must increase my arm strength if nothing else! You seem to know about the paints. I once was payed to paint a picture of Mr. Natural on a friend's car, otherwise I have no experience.

Mr Natural
     I doubt races will be run in July, we'll see. I agree running for enjoyment is the mindset we need right now!

Led - It seems the blood gets more diluted with exercise so it will circulate better. Here is a link to an article: Thinner blood
    I've never tried a pace bunny, impressive how far ahead you are, almost a hundred miles!

Rich - It does seem you run faster to warm up when you dress lightly! I think you are right about the slow running making you stronger, I have always worked on a lot of slow distance and I think it is wise to start that way to build up first. My pace does increase as I run longer distances, but the speedwork may be needed to really get results in increasing the pace.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

3.9 miles Monday morning to start another month off. Saw a different person doing the exercise stations in the park where I do my pull-ups and chin-ups. Another one trying to beat the heat and get an early start.

Altair - Like most things, I tell people they could do what I do with the proper equipment and practice. It's all in the prep work. Spend the time upfront or you'll be doing it over again. My first few times painting were less than ideal. The more we do, the better we get and the easier it becomes. Just like running.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks, Altair, for starting the June thread.  Maybe I should be posting the last of my May runs in the other thread, but I'm just opting to forge ahead.  I had a strong weekend in terms of miles - almost 24 Saturday and Sunday, and that got me a 50 mile week and a 200 mile month! I guess that just indicates I have nothing better to do than run. Smile  Yesterday and today were just my usual weekday routines of one with the dog and four on my own. Temps now are near 70, so I'm starting to work up a sweat these days.

Altair - You have interesting friends, evidenced by the one with Mr. Natural painted on his car. I think I became acquainted with Mr. Natural (and other great cartoons) when we subscribed to Funny Times.  I asked about blood thinning because we need to be careful - blood "thinners" is a misnomer because we are not actually referring to the viscosity of the blood.  Hydration can affect blood viscosity to a degree, although the body is always doing its best to keep our electrolytes in balance.

Art - Be careful dodging those barricades; things will be improved in the long run (so to speak).  You've had some nice runs and walks among your projects.  Good job keeping your life in balance!

Rich - 55 and windy makes a whole different run from 70 and calm, doesn't it? For the foreseeable future, it's shorts and a light shirt for me. I'm sure it'll be getting warmer for you soon.

Art in AZ

Another 3.9 miles Tuesday morning. One of the problems with the warmer weather is when I go to the chin up bar, it's hard to get my hands really dry. So around number 8 my hands are damp enough that I have trouble holding on. Trying to wipe my hands on sweaty shorts doesn't work. So I get in as many as I can and move on.

Led - Great numbers for the week and month. Now you just need an event to run in. One of the events I was notified of that were going ahead with their July run sent out the details today. It's a virtual run. Not quite the same as a regular race event. But we have to start somewhere. So the company doing the repaving work in the area did our street today. Strange thing though is they only chipped away the outside of the street along the curb. Nothing in the middle. So there is about an inch and a half layer removed. It looks like they are going to pave over the middle section making it higher so it slopes more to the sides.  Not sure why they are doing it that way.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Led - Yeah, my friend is an "interesting" character and was in to getting old cars and this was back in the mid seventies. The car he had was a "Nomad", kind of a big station wagon, I don't recall the year, but it was something like this:

A bunch of us drove in the vehicle around '76 to the Mardi Gras in New Orleans and spent a week partying there. We were allowed to sleep between the pews on the floor of a church. I got to see "The Fonz" hanging out on a balcony on Bourbon Street and John Bulushi filming a dance for the Saturday Day Night Live TV show. I also stood outside a bar listening to the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Somewhere I have a pencil drawing of Jackson Square I did. I think it was after we returned I painted the pictures on both sides of the vehicle of "Mr. Natural". At the time Crumb's "Keep On Trucking" cartoon was a popular image for like stickers and patches, but my friend wanted Mr. Natural with the logo "Just Passin' Thru..." which also was somewhat  popular. My friend had hired me once before to make a copy of the "Wanted" poster used on the Kung Fu TV show. Later, he drove the Nomad to Florida and said he got a lot of compliments on the car pictures from the retired people there. Guess I am now as old as they were then.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

4.5 miles Wednesday morning. Decided to add a little to my run so veered off to a different way home. The normal 3.9 route felt boring this morning.

Altair - Those old Chevy Nomad wagons were popular in those days. Interesting story.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 6/3... DW was transported to the hospital yesterday with symptoms that turned out to be a mild heart attack.   With no visitors allowed due to the virus, the whole ordeal was a little surreal.   Anyway, when she called this morning to tell me the hospital was releasing her later today, I got out for a 5 mile run on the road.   I don't normally share splits, but these weren't bad for an old guy who wasn't working too hard...  9:51, 9:38, 9:32, 9:34 and 9:45.   I'll get back to participating in here in a few days...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

After a big thunderstorm last night, this morning I made myself do a little speed work. It went reasonably well, considering my minimal motivation.

Art - I remember sweaty hands on the chinup bar. Just doesn't work. Maybe those gloves that weightlifters use?  Carry a couple pieces of chamois?  As for an event, there is one, another virtual 10K race starting this weekend, but I don't think I'll sign up. I've already done 3 virtuals, that were presumably going to be "real" races at the time I signed up for them. Not seeing much point in doing this one. Are you sure the pavers aren't going to do their job in two stages, first the outside lanes, then the middle lanes?

Altair - Boy, that Nomad was a classic, wasn't it?  Great memories of New Orleans. I have a weird and very tenuous connection to John Belushi, having to do with his rented drumset. Well, I bought it, some time after he rented it. You probably didn't even know he was a drummer.

Rich - Wow, sorry about your wife. Sounds like things are under control now, and I'm sure DW will be fine going forward. Weird time to have anything to do with a hospital, for sure.  Nice 5 mile run!

Art in AZ

Thursday morning did a 14.5 mile bike ride. Felt like doing something different. Looked at the garden and did some more watering. Even with the shade cloth keeping the direct sun off the plants, they sure do look beat up because of the heat. Thankfully it's going to cool off over the next few days.

Rich - Sorry to hear about your wife but it looks like she'll be good to go again. Any chance she might start doing some kind of physical activity? She didn't seem too interested last time. What does the doctor recommend? Nice getting in a 5 miler to help with the stress.

Led - In a couple of weeks we'll enter the start of monsoon season. Rain chances start to increase as the dew point gets higher. While on my bike ride I did do a set of pull-ups and chin-ups. I had on my biking gloves and that did help. So I am going to try the other pair I have Friday and see how those work. The pavers paved one of the roads they chewed up yesterday. No more work done to the middle, just paved the street. The street does look good now. I'll run on it Friday.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Guess I better chime in.  Sorry, haven't been exercising that much this last month.  Got in 131 miles in May, only ran about half the days with a couple of big gaps in there.  On the bad side of things, all the inactivity seems to have weakened a few muscles and strained left calf.  It seemed to be getting better then I took a few days off and next run seemed to re-strain it.  Been walking mostly this week and last night threw in a 3.1 mile slow jog. The calf felt better near the end, but tightened up a bit later.  Will try and do a little running to try and not fall too far behind the pace bunny.

We had a solar system and batteries installed and I rewired my network and rebuilt a bunch of my servers, not to mention my home system died and had to be replaced.  Fortunately, for me, the SSD disk was still good and transferred to the new system nicely.  I guess the file server new I was about to replace it when it decided to die early.  For those who understand file systems, new file server is using ZFS and I built a 20 TB RAID volume (~30 TB of raw space).  Replaced a multi-disk system (non RAID) with about 7 TB of disk space.

With the Solar system came a new main and sub circuit panels, which allowed me to self-install a 40 amp level 2 car charging port.  Car charge time has gone down from 12 hours to 2 hours.

Altair - I was laid off.  Need to figure out if I should just retire or look for a job for a short time. Mostly working is so I don't have to think about medical coverage.  Initially thought that it would be fairly cheap do just go through the medical exchange, but forgot that I need to include all income and quickly realized that I have  enough income that I would be subsidized this year.  Still, severance pay should cover this year's COBRA coverage (just under $2500/mo for Medical and Dental). Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to keep up your running. I'm a fan of old cars and I'm impressed that you are a good enough artist to be payed for it!  Awesome.

Led - Nice monthly total mileage!  I'm way too familiar with blood thinners and consequently INR tests. Don't know when they'll open up enough to allow racing. Vacation Races is doing a half marathon race this weekend in or just outside Zion National Park.  Starting at 7PM thru 7AM, 50 runners are allowed to start on the hour.  We were thinking of actually doing it, maybe their next one.

Art - Can't wait to see pictures of your car's paint job. Not sure I have the patience to do a good spray.  You've gotten in some nice bike rides.  A few weeks ago, got together with former co-workers and did a 20 mile ride. Of, course it was right after that ride I strained my calf.

Rich - Hope your wife is doing well.  That has to be pretty scary.  Nice splits!

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 6/6... 6 mile trail run in the heat and humidity today.  The shade from the trail helps, but sometimes you just have to sweat...Lol   Sorry about the spotty posts lately, just really busy right now...

Art... diet and exercise is what the docs recommend for DW.  I asked what her plans were for the necessary lifestyle changes she needs to make and got a, "I don't want to talk about it!" Lol   She's carrying about 40 lbs. of extra weight and struggles to climb stairs, but you know what they say about taking a horse to water, there's only so much a guy can do...

Art in AZ

3.9 miles Friday morning. The usual.

Saturday made a rest day. Started looking at the stuff I wanted to do and before I knew it, it was late morning. So changed into working clothes and passed on the run.

Another 3.9 miles Sunday morning. Was thinking of adding a bike ride but went grocery shopping instead.

Ray - That's frustrating getting a strained calf and it not cooperating with your healing process. Hopefully it will heal quickly. Oh yes, the joy of recovering from a system crash. So far, the SSDs seem to be on more robust in that I haven't seen one fail yet. Having said that, I'm sure that will happen this week to someone. I back up my systems to the server automatically twice a day. If a system dies, I can connect to the server and restore everything in about 30 minutes. Only losing a few hours work. That' a lot of storage you have there. Big improvement on the battery recharging time. That must be real nice.

Rich - Nice run. Humidity doesn't seem to care too much about shade. We're just thankful for AC to cool us off. Hopefully she'll come around and at least try making small changes.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Sunday, 6/7... couldn't pass up today's weather, 60 degrees, dewpoint in the 40's, cloudy with a tolerable breeze.   Still ran the trail to get out  of the breeze, 7 miles.  I'll catch up with comments soon...

Art in AZ

3.9 miles Monday morning. Enjoyed the cooler weather as it was in the lower 70s when  ran. Late afternoon I did a 6 mile bike ride just before lunch so got in a little more exercise just because of the weather.

3.6 miles Tuesday morning before having to go out for work. So far, even though they have opened up most businesses, the traffic is still great. Came home during what would have been the rush hour around 5:00 PM and the traffic was what would have been normal for the middle of the day.

Rich - Good to take advantage of the nice weather. Good 7 mile run you did.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sorry, I have a tendency to get pretty far behind on my posting - I think I'm a week behind. Anyway, most of my runs have been the usual, easy 4 or 5, now in some serious heat and humidity. The weekend was nothing like the 24 last weekend; I only did eight on Saturday because we had a morning meetup with the kids. Sunday it was 84 degrees and humid, and four was all I could manage. We finally had a rainstorm last night that cooled things off to ~60F, so my five was pretty nice this morning. Dog was still traumatized by Thunder Monsters, but I coerced her to jog around the block with me.

Ray - Sorry you're dealing with injuries. It's obviously not your first rodeo, injury-wise, so you know how to cope. No doubt you'll be back on the road soon. The Zion half should be really nice. Speaking of on the road, what kind of car do you have? We have a Chevy Volt, and love it. Haven't used any gas in months, other than for the lawnmower. Might be time to get an electric lawnmower as well. Smile  You apparently are running a serious data center. Cool, but don't you know, everything is in the cloud these days?  Or, you must be the cloud for some people, huh?

p.s. Speaking of racing in Utah, have any of you seen this race concept?  Interesting...

https://runoyo.com/info