50 and over 5k and beyond

December Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

adkkev

6.1 birthday miles this evening.

Chantilly - yes, I'm still running in the evening.  Except for weekends, it's the only time I have to get out & run.

justrundan

1.2 miles on TM tonight; these will be my 'rest days' during the streak.

Chantilly- the goal is at least one mile/d between Thanksgiving and New Years, to help keep the weight under control.  I just thought it would be fun to try to string that together.  I'm already seeing a problem for tomorrow though!  I'll work something out.

Rich- I remember the pic- that is an AMAZING trail to run!

AZ- hang in there with that ankle.  Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff.

adkkev- I hear you on the molasses analogy!  Just keep it movin'.

Dan

rmcj001

adkkev - Happy Birthday!  Gotta love those night runs.

Chantilly - Shoveling snow in addition to the 8 mi and 1 mi walking?  That's cross training!

Rich - Sounds like the shoes are working.  +1 on the pic!

Az - You maybe the only person more accident prone then myself - don't keep it up Wink  Hope you heal soon and get back to running the flats.

Dan - You got it in! Keep it up!

I know it ain't that cold here, but temps were down 10F from yesterday.  Was doing my usual 7 miles and chugging along a bit quicker then yesterday.  Hit my turn around point and a headwind, so stepped it up a bit.  Well, I was going faster then I thought!  7 miles in 58 minutes. Not a race day, but close to racing speed over the last three miles.  Felt good.

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Marie~Great work on the streak.  Keep it up!

AZ~Take care of your ankle.  I love my Atlas Elektra snowshoes, but we haven't had much snow ... yet!

Rich~You have a beautiful place to run!

Chantilly~Run, walk, shovel - great workout!

addkev~Happy Birthday!  There is something special about running in the evenings in winter.

Dan~Glad you found a treadmill to keep your streak going.  Sent you a PM.

Ray~Wow, you have been getting some great runs/times in!

I had no intention of running any sort of streak, but after 4 days strung together over the holiday weekend I thought, I can't stop now!  Unless the ITB wakes up and begins to bother me, I'll keep it going.  Yesterday 5 miles at the indoor track.  Today 3 miles, with a couple of hills at 1.25 and 2.5 miles.  Weather isn't too bad for December on the Great Lakes, 40F, foggy and misty rain.

Run strong everyone!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Wednesday, 12/4,  8 miles.   1 mile walk / jog to warm up in 11:33, another 3 miles on the railtrail, then 4 more on the roads.  Pace was mid 9's, shoes were Brooks racing flats.  A slight complaint from my achilles, I've iced it and hoping for the best

Everyone should have a look at this, it's great info... http://experiencelife.com/article/overtraining-myths-facts-and-fantasies/

Chantilly75

Good article, NH Runner.

Happy Birthday, adkkev.

Fog and misty rain isn't too cold? gito57

rmcj001 nice speed, the leg must be feeling better..

justrundan  TM's come in handy for those streaks if the weather doesn't co-operate.

4 miles run on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

I like that article Rich, good info to store away.

1.25 on TM, another 'rest day'.  Tomorrow I hope to get out early, but the temps are dropping and wind increasing, so I'll have to see about that...   Joking

Chantilly- is it warm enough to run on an outdoor track where you are, or do you have access to indoor track like Debra?  I've run on the one she uses once, and it's great!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Dan~Bundle up, temps dropping 20+ degrees tonight!  I hope you can return to run on the upgraded track soon.  It's now 3 lanes, nicely cushioned (but not too much), and tripled the size of the warm up area.  Many updates to the rest of the building, too.

Chantilly~Re: misty rain - it wasn't too bad. 30F and rain is probably my cut-off, though.

Rich~Interesting article, thanks for sharing it.

1.13 miles around the subdivision tonight.  Enjoyed 50F temps and the Christmas light displays.  Kept the streak going, but it was over too soon.  Sad

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Rest today, ankle needed it after yesterday's tough run in the fresh fallen snow.

SNOWED ALL DAY today, predicted 12" was reached, probably more here in northern MN, smart to stay home Smile   Below zero degrees tonight, BRRRR!!  DH came home early from work, clinic closed early due to weather/road conditions, low patient load anyway.  Reached about 15 degrees for the high, but felt like 3 degrees according to weather report.  Beautiful falling snow is so picturesque, but crappy to drive in.  I usually cut down on eating by at least half .......but I still feel like I gained 10 lbs!!  I really need to run ..........to eat, LOL!!

Deb:  Running at least a mile each day to keep up your 'streak' isn't as easy as it sounds, I know.  Glad you're keeping it up though, good for you!!  WOW!!  50 degrees is summer temps to us here, LOL!!

NH Runner

Thursday, 12/5

4 mile Nordic Walk on the railtrail today.  I treat these walks like a workout and tend to huff and puff along, today's splits were 14:03, 13:54, 13:46 and 13:40.   In the process, I broke the tip off one of the walking sticks, so something else to fix... lol  I'll never figure out how race walkers can go at a sub 7:00 pace, that's unbelievable to me.

And yeah, I thought that article was worth sharing, you can work awfully hard with little to show for it if you train wrong and I've done my share of that....

Run strong everyone...

Chantilly75

justrundan The indoor track is 7 laps=1 mile. I like it better than a treadmill. Still keeping up the streak, I see.

a2zmntrail  I like northern MN in the summer, but that is a bit much snow for this early in the year.

NH Runner I think we are going to have to call you McGuyver, with all the repairs and modifications you have been doing this year...Wink

4 miles in the morning

4 miles in the afternoon.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

before:  road not plowed photo GOPR0723_zpse0ec8f2c.jpg   photo GOPR0751_zpsd6a79a3b.jpg

3 degrees, 12 mph wind, -15 windchill photo GOPR0733_zps9fe79d2e.jpg            after:  plowed road photo GOPR0741_zps511cc5ff.jpg

before:  unplowed dirt road                                           after:  plowed paved road

Around 1 pm in northern MN:  5 degrees, 12 mph wind, -12 degrees windchill and I was out there RUNNING!!  What a difference the sun makes!  Yeah, it was cold with the head wind but ran different direction to minimize it.  This is around my neighborhood where the southern area has  more trees so they are great windblockers Smile   Road got plowed just when I was on my way home.  Finished another 3 miles, ankle feeling better but took 30 seconds walk breaks after each 1/2  mile, for photo ops too.  It was 3 degrees when I got home but I felt great!!  Took my left shoe off to ICE my ankle in the snow while taking additional photos, LOL!!  

rmcj001

Rich - I think walking makes an excellent work out!  Here's an article from NY times yesterday: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/04/why-a-brisk-walk-is-better/?src=me

Debra & Dan - Keep the streak going!

Chantilly - Nice double!

AZ - Like the snow pics!  Take care of the ankle.

4.6 miles with workmate in 51 minutes yesterday.  Only 50F, so cooler then Monday, but no wind and no clouds - so, it felt warmer.  48F today, 7 miles by myself in ~57:10 - think I'm ready for next weekend.  Should be fun...

Ray

NH Runner

Friday, 12/6

30 minutes on the bike trainer.  Really a day off, but I think these easy sessions on the trainer help get circulation going to my stubborn achilles.

Nice read Ray, thanks!   I've taken to using walking sticks as a way to get an upper body workout when I walk and they work pretty well.   The only trouble is the tips wear out from so much contact with the ground.

Chantilly, that's a funny comparison to McGuyver...lol  I do tend to fix rather than toss, even the windbreaker I use for running has a new zipper installed by me, I like the jacket and didn't want to give it up.   The sew job's ugly, but you have to look close to see it...lol

az.... you guys have been getting hammered by old man winter lately.  So far, N.H.'s been spared, but our turn's coming.    Hang in there, spring's just around the corner... Big grin

gito and Dan... good luck with your streaks!

justrundan

Nice race report Ray, sounds hectic at the start!  Smile

Debra- not sure if I'm coming to Milwaukee with DW for her reading convention this winter or not. If I do I will definitely check out the track @ Pettit Center.

AZ- You're right, the snow is pretty, but a little goes a long way with me.  Somehow our region of WI has been spared, but that may change Sunday night.  Nice run in the snow!

Rich- the walk on the rail trail sounds great too!

Three evenings in a row had to settle for about 1.25 mi on TM @ hospital, just not enough time.  Using those feels like cheating, but those ar the rules, minimum 1 mile run daily.  Today it was sunny, 10 degrees (feels like -1) so I jogged on the River Walk here in town after a morning meeting.  6.2 slow miles; layering and the balaclava really helped.  I always have cold hands, so I wore leather, lined mittens and the cold air couldn't penetrate, so all was well.  Maybe more of the same tomorrow.  Nicer on along the river in town, there is some break from the wind.

Have a great weekend friends.

Dan