50 and over 5k and beyond

May runs & workouts (Read 14 times)

NH Runner

Monday, 5/26... 7 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail... easy

Tuesday, 5/27... 4 mile run.   1.5 mile warm-up, 4 X 440 sprints with a 90 second break between, then 1.5 mile cool-down.   Sprint pace was 8 minute miles, just a short reminder of what it feels like to run a little quicker.

Chantilly... you're right, we have good runs and bad runs and it's hard to predict when either is going to happen...   I don't take any one run too seriously, there's just too many variables.   And yes, Friday will be a complete day off and Saturday will be a short easy run just to stay loose.   The weather forecast for race morning is 48 degrees and 70 degrees for the high.   Of course, given the accuracy of weather forecasters, there's a good chance that'll change...lol

Fletch

Az - Great runs in Boston.  Sounds like you had a good trip.

adkkev - Love the picture - great scenery.  Good job getting back into the running routine.

Chantilly - nice workouts - and nice x-training with the yard work.  When is your 24 hr. race?

Rich - I'm no expert, but it seems to me like you're in good shape for your HM this coming weekend.  I know you're looking forward to it.

Ray - Nice finish for a spur-of-the-moment 5k.  Sounds like a fun race.

Dan - a fun Bun Run with DD, and DW starting to run with you again - family fun...it doesn't get any better than that!

DW and I had a great trip to Charlottesville for the long weekend.  Visited some of the historic sites (Monticello, Ashlawn-Highland) and took in a few of the wineries and breweries.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity to run in a new place, so I got up early Saturday morning and ran 4 miles on the winding, hilly mountain road where we were staying.  It wasn't fast (9:54 pace), but it was beautiful, and it felt great.  Followed that with about 8 miles of hiking with DW in the Shenandoah National Park Sunday.  Memorial Day activities Monday, then the drive back home.

Now it's back to the rat-race.  Hectic times at the radio station getting ready for the men's and women's US Open golf tournaments in just a couple weeks.  In addition, we have a shortage of rooms in the area for all the planned visitors.  DW and I have rented out three of our bedrooms to a company for some of their reps who will be in town to work the tournament.  Lots of work to do getting ready for the guests.  Still hope to maintain about 10-15 miles of running each week (it helps keep me sane!).

Safe running, everyone.

rmcj001

Az - Forgot to mention the shirt is a "tech" shirt - I try not to run in "cotton".  Yeah, maybe not the smartest color to were when it's warmer...

Rich - Here's a picture from near the start/finish line:

GG Bridge

Chantilly - Yes!  Their store is in Palo Alto, which is local to me!  They sponsor the "Zoom" series.  Race Director made sure to point out that there would be no "Zombies" in the race and that it was local store.  Enjoy your rest day!

Dan - It's cool that you stayed with DD, you're a good Dad!  Great news on DW - you've inspired the whole family (the other way around here) !

Fletch - How great that you got to run in a new place!  Keep up the running!

Saturday, did a walk/run with DS2 at the dish - 5.25 miles in about an hour.  Sunday - Watched "Dr. Who" and slept through many episodes, barely moved.  Monday, 2nd day of no running - 7mile hike with 2000 feet of elevation change.  Tuesday, 5/27, 10 miles in mid 70's temps in 1:21:22 - felt good, but legs are a bit sore now...

Ray

Fletch

3.5 miles this morning.  Started with a .75 mile loop, to warm up, with the dog Brady.  Dropped him back off at the house, then did 2 miles with striders, followed by .75 mile cool-down.  I ran at 6:30 this morning, but it was already 72 degrees, and VERY humid.

adkkev

Tuesday: 3.3 miles @ lunch around the sidewalks/streets @ work, 4.2 miles in the evening around town as the sun set.  Very warm, in the 80s.

Cool picture Ray!!  Smile

Chantilly75

NH Runner The weather forecast sounds ideal…if  it is accurate…

I don't know how you would be any more ready…your workouts have been very sound.

Fletch_NC  We went to Charlotte NC some years ago and also went to the Boone plantation after staying at Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head. (husband was a golf enthusiast)  You live in a lovely state and have some quite scenic run opportunities there.

rmcj001 Your photo looks familiar to me, we have been to SF 3 times. Is that a boat launch area?

I went to the Fleet Foot store, didn't know that Zombierunner had a physical store.

adkkev You must be enjoying your evening runs again.

15 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 5/28... 3 mile Nordic Walk on the railtrail today.    Nice way to cross train and give running muscles a break...

Fletch... training's been a roller coaster for the half, trying to squeeze in workouts around a testy achilles, doing too much at times, then having to back off too long to recover, but I think I'm ready.   The big thing now is timing, getting my legs race ready for Sunday.   And hang in there with your busy schedule, maintaining has to be tough, but you're doing it.

ray... I knew there was awesome scenery at the start of that race...    Tuesday's run was solid, 10 miles @ just over 8:00 pace says a lot, you're a strong runner...

adkkev... we haven't seen 80 degrees in NH yet, but it can't be far off.   These snow white legs of mine should look good to all the Flatlanders headed to Vermont for Sunday's race, running in pants 'til May, I'm gonna stick out like a sore thumb...    Nice runs Tuesday...

rmcj001

Chantilly - 15 miles!  I will need to start knocking out a few of those soon.  Yes, that is across the parking lot from the St Francis Yacht Club (which is where the Marina is).  Across the street (other side) is the Palace of Fine Arts (1936 Worlds Fair?).  I think it is Fleet Feet and they're everywhere now, we have one in Menlo Park...

Fletch - I don't mind the heat so much, but it is definitely worse when there's humidity.  That which doesn't kill us, well it doesn't kill us - might just be softening us up for the kill 

Rich - 3 miles?  Aren't you just starting to warm up at that point? Not sure why, but your sore thumb comment brings back memories of freshman English and "Even Cowgirls get the Blues" - something about Sissy...

adkkev - Literally with all that visible fog!  Nice double!  Remember to hydrate with the warm temps!

Wed, 5/28, 4 miles with workmate and then another 2.1 by myself - total time 1:00:02, then 1 mile walk back to work

Ray

adkkev

Wednesday evening: 6.3 miles around town ... cloudy, misty at times, & 20+ degrees cooler than it was on Tuesday!!  Surprisingly I saw several walkers and one other runner during my sojourn around town.

Rich: I'm sure my snow white legs are a good match for yours!!  And that won't change much no matter how much time I spend out in the sun.

Chantilly:  nice 15 miles!!  It's been a while since I've kicked out a double digit run ...

Fletch: I don't do well in the high humidity either ... during one stretch of humid days last summer I made myself get up at 5am to go out for my daily run ... and I am NOT a morning person.

Fletch

adkkev - nice run.  I've spent my entire life in the southeast - Georgia and the Carolinas - and I don't think we ever get completely accustomed to the humidity.

Ray - good run.  What did you do, make the coworker mad and he/she bailed on you at mile 4?

Rich - good job on the cross-training.  Save those legs for the race!

Chantilly - 15 miles - WTG!  We lived in Charlotte for a few years.  Nice place, but we prefer the smaller, rural areas.  We live now in a BIG golf area.  And yes, there are plenty of very scenic running opportunities.

5.4 miles this morning in 52:50.

justrundan

40 minutes run/walk with DW Tuesday and today,out the door by 0500.  Today I did fartleks, so didn't stay right with her the entire time.  Near the end there is a small  downhill grade, so I really tried to sprint it.  fastest pace, for very short time-ab out 5:40.  Unbelievable those marathoners can do an entire marathon at sub-5:00.          Went over 100 miles for the month today, hope to beat my March mileage for highest this year.  We will see, the weather looks good, but work may interfere.  I'll be glad when I can stop saying that! 

Chantilly- wow, you keep racking up the miles.  Way to go!

Ray- nice lunchtime run!

adkkev- those cool temps can make for nice runs.  This morning was perfect, 52 degrees.

Dan

NH Runner

Thursday, 5/29... 3 mile easy run on the railtrail today.

ray... yes, I've cut way back this week, very similar to what the FIRST plan recommends.   I'll know Sunday if it's a smart move...

Nice runs everyone!

Chantilly75

NH Runner nice taper

justrundan Good mileage for the month for you.

rmcj001 Did you get anymore rain or is it still very dry?

adkkev misty and cool would be fine in the evening.

Thunderstorm here early this morning, so 7 miles done on the track.  The rain popped up some more dandelions, so had to get out and pull them this afternoon.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

adkkev - nice runs there. I'm not a morning person either

Fletch - Who knows, maybe she is mad at me.

Dan - Congrats on the monthly milestone!  Hope you get that distance goal in!

Rich - Are you doing a geometric taper?  I forget about the taper for races, but then I'm racing more then most.  Too many races and you can't focus enough, too few and I find I get too amped up and too nervous and way too mental   Good luck on the race this weekend!

Chantilly - Nothing significant.  Last couple of weeks there have been days where it has threatened to rain.  Fire danger has been high enough to close several local parks in the last month. IIRC 100% of the state is in drought with 70% in extreme drought - I think only Texas is worse off.

Thursday, 5/29, 8.1 miles in 1:10:31 - temps were low 80's.  First 5 miles were at 9mpm, so last 5k was a little quicker.

Ray

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Sorry to hear that.  The prairies had good enough snow cover, and so far enough rain, but that can change in a hurry. We went from 32F one week to 85F the next.

You're getting a lot of race experience in this year.

7 miles this morning, then 2 hours of gardening/yard work.

Sonata Arctica