50 and over 5k and beyond

January runs & workouts (Read 20 times)

NH Runner

I took yesterday off, after 3 days of skiing it was time...

We ended up with a foot of new snow this morning, so I cross trained getting that off the driveway and away from the bird feeders...

Then I tried to call Al Gore, I figured he'd know where Global Warming had run off to, but he didn't answer his phone.   Must be off vacationing somewhere where it's warm...

Anyway, 2 miles on the trusty treadmill today.  I'm leery of the thing messing with my sore achilles, so I took it easy and ran with short, quick steps.   I think I got away with it, but won't know for sure 'til tomorrow.

Everybody's running pretty well, it's good stuff!   I also like the Forrest Gump run Fletch, what a great idea!

And that bike ride ain't a bad idea either Art, good for you!

justrundan

2.8 this morning in the dark; -14 degrees kept if from being further.  hands didn't warm up after 2 miles like they did last weekend.    Then worked just the morning and hit the treadmill @ hospital for another 4.5 easy miles, 7.3 total today.  Tomorrow is forecast to be warmer, but wind chill make keep me inside.  then the bottom drops out and we'll have sub-zero for highs, worthy of AZ's temps in northern MN. 

Deb, good luck with that foot, maybe a day or 2 off?  Just in time for the deep freeze, so good excuse!

Chantilly, that track serves you well.  I think the TM is like that too. I had forgotten how mind numbing the thing is until I started using the one at the hospital.  Hard to last an hour today.

Stay warm, run safe if you're outside folks!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Dan-Hurray on your double today.  Great to have the TM available for you at work.

Rich-I've heard Al Gore's name muttered from under layers of winter scarves and face masks the last few days!  Hope the Achilles fared well after the TM run.

Art-Taking care of errands by bike makes them more fun to do, too.

Chantilly-Another nice double for you.  The indoor track is 20 minutes from home -- not bad, and DS2's school is nearby.  Makes it convenient   after getting him to/from school and extra-curriculars.

At the indoor track again.   4 miles and finished w/ 5 striders.  Feet feel fine today, the epsom salt soak must've helped.  It's all good!

Run strong, friends

Quo Vadis?

Oops, I posted this in December Runs .......... so in case some of you didn't catch this:

Jan. 1, 2013: Didn't think I would but I did......celebrated in the New Year with a brisk run .  Another sunny blinding day and it was frigid!!

Start: -7 degrees, 1 mph wind, feels like -7.  The high temp for the day!

Finished 5.2 miles.  Just wanted to go an hour, took it slow due to overnight freezes which made for some slippery areas. .  Could have gone longer but frosty eyelashes made it challenging to keep eyes open .

End:  -10 degrees, 1 mph wind, feels like -11.  Had icicles forming around/bottom of balaclava and cap and jacket.

Didn't get warm on run but stayed cool.  Got out of running clothes asap to minimize chills, BRRR!

YAY, I ran on New Year's Day!!  Triple celebration:  our anniversary, and our second granddaughter's first birthday, same day!!

gito57:  CONGRATS on your 10k!!  That is a great finish time considering, woohooo!!

Art:  I certainly won't miss this weather either when we move back to the SW. We lived in ND for about 10 yrs (1990s'), it took about 10 more years to thaw out then here we are in MN, LOL!!  I'm really trying to embrace it and whine less .

Rich:  Love that town winter photo!! Gorgeous!!  Your skiing sounds like fun, good for you.  DH found my XC skis and with my new snowshoes (gift from DH), I'm all set to 'embrace' this mid-west artic adventures ....................oh darn, I will be leaving for AZ tomorrow (Sat) for about a month!!! 

Thanks Ray!!  RE: 1/25th 20k trail race:  I will "relax, do what I can do and enjoy it."

WAY TO GO everyone on 2013 mileage!!  I have no idea what mine is but I'm going to keep a better record of it this year.

Rich:  artic blast is moving up your way, stay safe and warm!!  That's awesome cross-training activities.  Old injuries tend to resurface when I run on the TM too often. Hilarious!!  RE: Al Gore

Dan:  BRRRR!!  I wear mid-weight liners underneath leather gloves but it takes me about half mile before my hands warm up.  Way to hang in there for a double!!

Deb:  we ask alot from our feet so a little TLC is sometimes all they need.  Glad you're doing fine.

Art:  I'm thinking of doing a duathlon in the fall so I need to get more time on my bike and I have no excuse since DH got me a trainer!

Great 12 miler!!  Isn't the ratio '3 miles cycling is about 1 mile running?'

Chantilly:  you're incredible!!  mental toughness takes 'training' too.  Using time rather than distance helps me when I run on TM or track as well.

Haven't run since New Year's Day Sad  Wind more gusty thus bitter temps and even more frigid windchill.  Frostbite warnings so been staying home, not worth driving anywhere either.  Work is slow but that's to be expected around this time.  Getting ready to leave keeps me busy enough. Hoping that my flight doesn't experience any delays, have to go through the twin cities which is getting hammered for the weekend.

adkkev

Friday 1/3: 4.25 miles on the dreadmill at the Y.  I can't justify going out for a run in subzero temps combined with snowy streets/sidewalks ... so we joined the local Y.  Better to sweat inside rather than freeze my lungs outdoors!  And the Y has a hot tub we can use!!  Nice perk.

Hopefully we'll be able to go snowshoeing or x-country skiing tomorrow ... supposed to warm up to 20 degrees!!  wooohoooo!!

Fletch

I figured you would all know about the Gump Run, even if you don't call it that.

Nice work everybody.  Hope the weather breaks soon for those that aren't able to get out.  FYI, Rich, Al Gore has changed his tune about global warming.  Oh, he still believes it's happening, he just says we should be thankful for global warming, or it would be EVEN COLDER!

3.25 miles this morning. Overcast and 25 degrees - cold for here.  Made the entire distance without a walk break, which is a breakthrough for me.  Hey, gotta celebrate even the little one's.

adkkev

3.25 x-country ski miles today on the nature trail along the old Erie Canal  ... crisp, single digit temp but beautiful!  This is one section where a snowmobile broke trail for us (snowmobiles aren't supposed to use this section of the trail but ...).  Lots of animal tracks.

NH Runner

Saturday, 1/04... 3 miles of xc skiing on the railtrail today.   I'm not sure why, but the snow wasn't the best for skiing today, not very slippery.  My guess is there's not a lot of moisture in the snow due to the single digit temps we had during the storm.  A good workout just the same...

Dan...nice double.  -14 would keep a lot of people snug in their beds.

Gito... nice track run.  Strides is something I like to do as well, they're a great way to throw in some quicker stuff.

Az... you'll never qualify for Olympic skiing by heading to AZ to escape the cold...

Fletch... that's pretty big, covering 3.25 miles without a break!   You can see how your body's adapting to the stresses you're throwing at it, eh?   Each run gets a little easier.   And good ol' Al, we're so lucky to have him, eh? lol

adkkev... nice picture, and nice workout on the skis!  The nice thing about skiing is you can bundle up to escape the cold and the bulky clothes doesn't interfere with your ability to ski.

adkkev

4.75 x-country ski miles today ... again along the old Erie Canal.  Beautiful day!!

Fletch

adkkev and Rich - nice xc workouts (great pics!).

Gump run today with a few walk breaks.  First time running on consecutive days, so I didn't want to push too hard.  Ran like before, with no music or planned route, and did not look at the gps the entire run.  I did decide, however, to check my total distance at the end of my Gump runs, simply for the sake of having an accurate training log.  3.4 miles today.

Chantilly75

adkkev nice photo

NH Runner  we can talk to Al Gore together. Life threatening windchill warnings for North Dakota down to -65F through Monday. 

Fletch_NC good consistency.

justrundan it is either keep warm outside, or keep mind occupied on the TM.

gito57 good to hear the soreness was temporary...probably from the Yaktrax..

azmntrail have a safe trip

worked on Saturday.  Ran 2 miles & walked 1 mile today on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

fletch- nice run.  Slow progress beats pushing to hard and injury!

adkkev- great pics.  Looks like you're having fun.

LSD yesterday during the warm spell, 29 degrees.  9.1 total, with a push on the last 3/4 mile @ 9:20 pace.  Rest day today, tomorrow won't be outside, that's for sure.

Stay warm folks.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Fletch-Congrats on the3 miles no walk milestone!  Another good Gump run for you, too!

adkekv-Enjoyed the photos, looks like a beautiful place to run/snowshoe/ski. I remember the old Erie Canal song from camp ... "Low Bridge, everybody down!"

Rich-Great to get outdoors on the skis.

AZ-Hope all goes well with the travel plans.  I'll be thinking of you running on your favorite trails!

Yesterday packed up all the holiday decorations and a 2 mile walk.  Today 10 miles at the indoor track.  Picked it up for the final 8 laps to HM pace.  IT band making it's presence known today, lots of foam rolling and gentle stretching after.  Bracing for the big chill arriving tonight.  We haven't had these kind of temps since 1996.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Sunday, 1/05... we've got freezing rain coming in tonight and colder temps tomorrow, so I went skiing again while the conditions are still good.  Lots of snowmobile traffic, so I cut it to 4 miles.  Nice workout though, it compliments running really well.

adkkev... another nice pic and workout!   That's your wife in the pic, right?  It's awesome you two work out together.

Chantilly... Holy Moly that's cold!   We've been below zero lately, but nothing like -65!

Fletch... 2 days in a row!  Good for you!

Gito... my wife gets Christmas decorations out early and puts it all away early...lol  Nice track run!