50 and over 5k and beyond

January runs & workouts (Read 20 times)

Crazy Diamond

adkkev-Best wishes with the bath remodel.  I've been procrastinating our remodel as it's our only bathroom, too!

Fletch-WTG on your 3.1 run!  As Ray Bradbury wrote, "The magic was always in the new pair of shoes"

Rich-Sharing your paces is great.  I've considered getting the Garmin foot pod to use at the indoor track. But decided, it may be of benefit to run being cognizant of my effort instead.  I can get very OCD about pace watching using the Garmin!

Chantilly-The race sounds very intriguing.  Our running club has a 6/12/24 race in August, I may volunteer just to see it.  Nice score on the shoes.  Hope they work out well after the adjustments.

AZ-New Zealand!  Dream trip.  I thought of Nan from our Active thread and her exotic marathon adventures?

Dan-Keep TM-ing until you can get outdoors.  The Arctic Polar Vortex is back for another visit -brrr!

Ray-Awesome running, as usual!  Any races coming up?

Art-Helping DD move was some serious cross training!  Enjoy the tour.  Spring training can't come soon enough!

We're back in the deep freeze, again.  Monday and today at the indoor track, 2.5 miles and 3.5 miles. Tomorrow, one more easy run and then rest up.  Exciting to see 2 speed skaters wearing their Olympic uniforms doing drills today.  So incredibly fast!  Lucky to have so many interesting things to see at the track.

Run strong friends.

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

gito57 that would be fun to see the Olympians practise.

justrundan 'way to keep up on the TM.

I take 2 totally different models of shoes.  Then when my feet get sore, I can switch. The faster runners never stop except to eat or take washroom breaks. They will run 100 miles+.  I have done less than 70.

adkkev hope the worse of the snow stays 100 miles away for you.

az2mntrail   My friend at work had a nephew who ran the New Zealand marathon last October.  He said it was lovely there.

Art in AZ  you have been busy with a lot of work around the house.  Must be keeping you in good overall condition.

NH Runner I like to read about the paces. I don't post mine because I use a foot pod and it is not very accurate.

rmcjo001 You're still warm there with no rain?  Keeping your paces up, too this winter.

I do have endurance and stubborness,   only the arthritis limits how many miles I can cover.

4 miles last night and 5 miles today. Neuroma aggravated by the Adios2 shoe.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 1/22... 4 mile treadmill run for me today.   Temp and wind left us with a -9 windchill, so I stayed inside.

Everybody's running really well!

Dan... I'm the same way with the treadmill, it seems like I work a lot harder for the same pace.   And I know people who say just the opposite, it's easier for them on the treadmill.    I think we all take the attitude it's better than nothing...

Fletch... I meant to ask, are you keeping a log?   It's handy for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to know the mileage on your shoes.

adkkev

5 miles on the treadmill this evening ... gym was pretty quiet.  Not sure if it's because of the cold temperatures outside or because we're past that date when most New Year's resolutioners give up.  Maybe some of both!

-13 this morning at our house ... supposed to be colder tomorrow morning.

And up in Alaska, Alyeska Ski Resort closed because of warm temperatures (in the 40s).

justrundan

I take 2 totally different models of shoes.  Then when my feet get sore, I can switch. The faster runners never stop except to eat or take washroom breaks. They will run 100 miles+.  I have done less than 70.

Chantilly- I've done less than 70, too.  A lot less...

rest day for me today, probably PM treadmill work again tomorrow.  Hope to get outside Friday or SAturday, probably with 3 layers or more.

Careful in the cold folks!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Great running everyone -- you are not letting the weather or winter doldrums keep you down!

Ran 4.5 miles, 5 striders and finished with a 2 mile walk at the indoor track last night. Next two days I'll rest and stretch -- and reach for the sky!  Anyone remember "Romper Room"?

The track was very crowded last night due to our -3 temps and speed and tri training groups.  A taste of what the track conditions will be for the relay on Saturday. 

Stay warm, safe and run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Thursday, 1/23... the temp got to 16 degrees so I bundled up and went xc skiing on the railtrail again today.    With the windchill at 0, I had the trail to myself for 5 miles of classic skiing.    Fun...

Let's see, if you run 70 miles and burn 125 calories per mile, that's 8750 calories you need to take in in 24 hours!   Do you actually plan for something like that Chantilly?

adkkev and gito... nice workouts!

Wed (yesterday):  8.1 miles on a different, slightly more technical steady uphill trail but the one I tend to run the most AFTER reaching a more conditioned state mostly in regard to acclimation to the elevation.  It was glorious!!  Highest point I reached before heading back was around 8,000 ft and the wind got more gusty in the open but running along the ridge gives spectacular views!!  I relished the moment for about 2 minutes while I stretched and hydrated.  I miss these incredible rush of euphoria, being 'in the zone', the solitude on such a trail.  It can be emotionally liberating and exhilarating at the same time! There are about 4 different connecting trails before I reached the turnaround but so many other trails to explore that one can run for hours.  A few mtn bikers, a couple of hikers and waved to 4 other runners (all females) on the way back.  Temps in the high 40s when I ran; it reached about 52 but stayed cloudy throughout the day with pretty gusty winds.

Thurs (today) is rest day. Feeling good, no soreness or aches.  Might rest Friday.  If I run, it will be no more than 4 miles.  It depends on when my brother and his GF arrive to pick me up (the sooner the better) to stay the night in Phoenix for the trail race on Sat .morning.  GF might run.

Temps in the 40s today, partly sunny but the wind has picked up making it much 'cooler' than I thought.  But no complaints compared to DH's weather reports in MN and the latest artic blast.

Rich:  where does your son live in AK?  I like reading about your paces so share away!

adkkev:  I grew up with 3 sisters/5 brothers with only 1 bathroom to share!!  It's a blur on how we survived that, haha!

Dan:  that's hilarious, making a new name for me already, haha!!  Clever though

Chantilly:  oh no!! Sometimes 'trial and error' when it comes to new shoes is frustrating!  DH takes photos/videos and loves to 'show/tell' of my running 'injuries' which includes some whopper blisters/loss of toenails to his non-running buddies/family!! The facial expressions are priceless!! .  Hope the neuroma doesn't cause too much discomfort or inconvenience in your training.

Deb:  how exciting!!  I've 'run' into some elite runners here in northern AZ and some skiers when we went snowmobiling in West Yellowstone some years ago!  It was always fun to hear where Nan is/will be running next.  I might 'volunteer' for an endurance event myself .........

Art:  you're a great dad!!  Tri-level?? Had your heart pumping and legs screaming for sure but great stair workout!!

Fletch:  when is your 5K?  You are doing awesome in your training and you'll finish sub-30 for sure!!  I love following your progress!!

Stay warm, safe and healthy in your running everyone!!

Fletch

Az - That trail run sounds like a ton of fun!  What's the trail race you're doing this weekend?  I'm running in a 5k February 22nd.  It's a small race, about 200 runners last year.  But it's part of a big fundraising weekend for a local Catholic school.  The principal is a friend, and we're promoting the fundraiser on the radio station where I work, so I promised her I would run as well.  Also looking at another 5k on March 15th.

Rich - Sounds like a good day on the skis.  I've not entered my information into a log yet, but all of my runs are saved on my smartphone.  I use the Runkeeper app.  I did make a note of when I started with the new shoes. Will eventually get around to putting it all into a log.

Debra - Romper Room!  I haven't heard anybody mention that show in (way too many) years.  Where I grew up, it came on right after Captain Kangaroo!  Remember him?  I may have missed it in an earlier post...are you running in that relay you mentioned this Saturday?

Dan - becoming one with the treadmill, huh?  Wishing warmer weather for you.

Adkkev - hoping for warmer days for you, too.  -13 is just crazy.  And I saw the same thing you mentioned...Alaska's high today was warmer than the high in Atlanta!

Chantilly - Sounds like i had a little better luck with my new shoes than you did.  Of course, if I put in the miles you do, there's no telling what would flare up!

Art - Nice cross-training/moving.  And I'm sure DD appreciated it as well.

Ray - Nice work.  Your mileage totals inspire me!

4.2 mile gump run this evening, followed by a 1 mile walk with the dogs.

justrundan

Fletch- nice gump run

AZ- that sounds like a tough run,esp at altitude!  Good luck on your trail race this weekend.

Debra- I bet the track is crowded!  In this weather every runner in Milwaukee would like to be there!  I'm not coming to Milwaukee with DW next month, so I'll miss it. 

Rich- those skis are giving you good alternative to running

another 4.4 on the mill early this morning.  It will be a "game time decision" tomorrow on running TM again or outside.  Hoping the projected winds die down a little.  It will be a 3 layer day if I'm outside.

Stay warm everyone.  (Wow, it will be nice when we don't have to say that anymore!)

Dan

Chantilly75

gito57 hope you have fun on Sat!

NH Runner does the skiing bother the achilles at all? Nice to have the trail free.

I had a burger, pizza slice , a grilled cheese sandwich,  PB&J sandwich, fig newtons, coffee, soda, smarties, energy drinks. Certainly not 8000 calories! 

az2mntrail your trails sound very challenging.  Good luck in your race!

Fletch_NC I think you will be ready for your race in Feb.

I've used runkeeper in the summer.  It is pretty accurate.

justrundan hope you are able to get outdoors soon.

6 miles after breakfast

8 miles in the afternoon

4 miles this evening.

walked for 10 minutes after each run.  (all on the track)

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Debra - Doing a 10K on Saturday.  It is fun to see really good athletes. Good luck with your relay race!

Az - Your trail runs sound nice!  Good luck with your run!

Art - gotta love that cross training!

Chantilly - You're one tough cookie!  Hope the foot improves quickly!  Highs are still in the 70's and looks like it will be dry the rest of the month...

Rich - It is good you have such a variety of activities to keep you going!  Nice workouts!

adkkev - yes, it sounds so cold.  I have no idea...

Dan - Is my imagination, or are you being more consistent in your running this winter?  Bodes well for when it warms up.

Fletch - Have you looked at the logging facilities here?  There is an interface for run keeper logs.  You might have to download the files from run keeper, but once you do you just upload it and once it is in you can edit the entries.  Having a garmin gps watch makes it even easier.  Just wish they had an interface to my TM...You can keep you log private, open it up to the world or share it with just members of the group.

Yesterday was supposed to go to lunch with workmates so did the TM before work 4 miles 32:10.  Co-workers took off w/o me so walked 5 miles to get lunch.  After work did another 3 on the TM in 23:47 and did the sauna thing afterward.  Today another warm sunny dry day, did 6.25 in 53:30.  Might have tweaked the right calf, so about to do the foam roller.

Keep safe and/or warm everyone.

Ray

NH Runner

Friday, 1/24... temp 16 degrees, windchill to 0 again.   6 mile run on the railtrail.   I bundled up pretty well, but my gloved hands got cold at around mile 5.   I've got mittens that work great, but not when they're home in the drawer...   Pace was low 10:00's most of the way, but my cold hands motivated a 9:52 last mile.   Not bad in the loose footing and ended up a nice workout.

az... you're confusing me with adkkev, he's the one with the son in AK.   I'm the guy with the weird sense of humor.   You have to be happy with the way you're running, you're hammering your runs lately!

Fletch... be old school and buy one of those notebook weekly planners, they make great a running log...   Just kidding.  Can't wait to see how your race goes next month, there's this stuff called adenaline that's hard to figure into the equation.

dan... good luck with your weather, treadmills get old after a while.  And yeah, I like the break from running that xc skiing provides.  The two compliment each other nicely.

Chantilly... I got a kick out of your last post, I'm trying to imagine eating pizza in a race...lol  You'll have to change your name to "The Iron Lady with the Iron Stomach."   What a day you had yesterday!  Wow!   And no, skiing doesn't bother my achilles, but the loose footing today was starting to.

ray... do you need us to pay a visit to your co-workers?  Rough 'em up a little so they know enough not to leave you behind again? lol  Awesome running as usual!

Official weigh-in today after 2 weeks of eating less, I'm down 4 pounds.

Chantilly75

rmcj001 those co-workers knew you needed a 5 mile walk...they were just helping you get into shape.  nice workouts.

NH Runner nice run in the cold.  Have you read about this race series?  www.newenglandchallenge.org  Looks interesting.

4 miles with son.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Rich - Sounds like the holiday weight is coming off.  Read an article how putting on weight in the off season was good for a runner (to a point of course).  Gives you reserves when you start the training schedule.  Good job!  No worries on the workmates - I'll just go a bit faster on our next run together just to see who can keep up with the old man 

Chantilly - That series sounds interesting.  Looks like they still have lots of room in the 1/2 marathon races.  I could see doing the 1/2's, might need to check with DW to see if she might be interested in doing next year...

Definitely tweaked the calf a bit.  Put on some compression socks and rolled it out several times.  Had planned on running 3-5 miles lightly today, but decided to change it to a walk (discretion...)  6 miles in just over 90 minutes (includes stops at bank and picking up lunch).  A little cloudier today, but still close to 70F.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Ray