50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

I am so sorry this has been hard! Evidently there is a Forum for each string. My RR is on the My Last Run Was Forum. When I click on the link that I posted, the RR opens for me that could just be bc I am also subscribed to the string. I will post on your 50 and 5k Forum, also.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Ok. Thanks for all your patience! The RR is on your Forum.

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

WDWRich

Mary Kay- Found the RR.  Great job, and congrats on the finish!  Bummer about the weather, but you did it!

Don't drop that medal on your foot.  Smile

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

rmcj001

Try this.  Click on "User Groups".  Now click on "My Last Run Was".  You should see a list with "Home", "Forum", "Maps" etc.  Click on "Forum".  There should be a list of topics in the middle of the screen.  Click on "Flying Pig RR 5/5/13".

Ray

rmcj001

At the risk of giving things away.

Dan - Nice PR!  Way to smash through that 2:30 barrier and 2:20!  2:15 sounds within reach.

AZ - Only 3rd?  Smile  Congrats!  Get better soon.

MKay - Marathoner!  It's all about being mentally tough! Congrats!  Oh - I'm in SF Bay Area (South Bay and Peninsula - if you know the area).

Debra - RR please!

Saturday turned out to be the last day of our hot weather here.  Race time temp was around 75F at start of 1/2 marathon and a little warmer 30 minutes later for the 10K.  Usually I start after everyone has gone, but this time got near the front.  Talked to an 11 yo before the start how fast he expected to run and such.  He was aiming for under 55 and I told him I was shooting for under 50.  Announcer said the race was 6.3 miles long.  Wasn't sure 50 would be realistic given how warm things were.  Started doing mental gymnastics, 1 minute for extra length and 10 seconds per mile for heat or another minute.  50 was looking like a stretch - oh, well do what you can.  Race got going and probably went out a little too fast.  Hit mile 3 in 23:01 and tried to slow down a bit.  Hit mile 4 at 31:05, a little slow so tried to speed up.  Mile 5 was 39:05 - about right, but I thought I should try and speed things up or 50 was going to slip away.  Lap 6 read 8:05.  Tried to speed things up but legs just didn't have it to really get up and go and final .3 was at 7:45 pace or so.  Official time 49:14.67.

First half 24:05, second half 25:10.  Finished 27th overall and 2nd in AG.

Sunday did 13.1 mile run with DS1 in 2:01 in the morning (temp 59F).  This run includes the Stanford Dish run from miles 5-9.  We covered the first 6 miles in just over an hour and the next 7.1 in just under an hour.  Took that first hour for this old body to loosen up...

Ray

Art in AZ

AZ2MN - Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well during your race. Looking forward to the report.

Mary Kay - Congratulations again.

Ray - Great job on the 10K and a AG placement. Running in the cooler morning temps is nice, isn't it?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Mary Kay-  Way to go, woman!!  Marathoner.  And in such weather.  I'm a weather wimp, don't know if I could have done it in that weather.  Great job.

Ray- nice race, beating the 50m even with the longer distance.  Good job.

The race last Saturday was great, so well organized and supported.  The weather could not have been better.  DW & I met Debra from Milwaukee and her family before the race, was great to meet them and race together.

I had planned to run 3/walk 1 for the first 4-5 miles, but it was so crowded at the beginning that it didn't happen.  Fortunately I was able to settle in and felt comfortable right away; it often takes me 3-4 miles to get going.  I knew that 11:30ish pace would put me under my goal of beating 2:30 and when I started out running 10:30ish miles I was worried.  I ended up mostly walking a short distance after the water breaks, and not too long there.

Mile 4-5 included the largest hill; fortunately I had taken Debra's warning and trained on local hills and that helped tremendously.  I was able to power up it nicely and pass a  number of people.  DW was at the mile 6 area and was able to get a pic, and I planted a quick kiss as I ran by! Wink   Around mile 10 I started to feel like I was going to have to slow down, but maybe the GU kicked in, I was able to keep it fairly steady.  All of the splits were under 11:00, and I felt well enough to push the last mile in under 10, then the last .2 at an even faster pace.  Hands and arms felt kind of numb as I was finishing, but that passed quickly.  It is amazing how quickly the pain goes away after the race.

My goal was <2:30, but my secret goal was <2:20 and it looked good on my Garmin as I was finishing.  the official clock said 2:21 something but I was about 3min after the start before I crossed.  Official time was 2:18:42, 10:36 pace, almost 1:30 faster than the pace for my first HM last fall.  Felt so much stronger finishing this one, had to walk quite a bit in the last mile last fall, but ran so much of this I was pleased.  Placed 44/59 in my division, so not great, but getting better! Big grin

I think it helped knowing someone in the race.  Debra was in front of me most of the time, and we ran together a little, and I was in from some.  I always have trouble spotting someone to pace off of, and our training times have been similar.  So thanks Deb!!

And finally, success at posting photos!

Nice heavy metal medal!!

Best bling to date!

Coming into mile 6, just before the kiss!

Coming in for the kiss on mile 6!

Dan

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Nice bling Dan! Congrats on a great race.

Mary Kay, I still haven't found the RR but contrats anyhow....I'm really proud of you!!

Az, sorry you were under the weather. Hope all perks up soon.

Ray, great race!! whoo hoo you are fast!

Kathy, good to hear you are getting some link time in. I know you enjoy it.

Hi Rich! Hi Art!

Debra....you are a running machine! I'm anxious to read your RR.

Have I missed anyone else...if so, I apologize. Consider yourself included in my thoughts!

I'm still out here just plugging along. Did hill repeats today.....oh thrill. What doesn't kill me will make me stronger. Evil Right!

It was nice running weather: overcast, a few sprinkles, slight breeze, 62 degrees. It doesn't get much better than that for running.

Still busy w/ the folks but getting a bit of a break next week as I'm headed to Chicago area for painting convention. Saint Charles, Il. I noticed there was a half marathon close by on Sunday, but don't guess I will be able to do it. That would have been nice to add IL to my short list of HM states.

Keep putting one foot in front of another and a smile on your face. We are some of the fortunate ones who have discovered the joy of running.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Crazy Diamond

Ray~Fabulous run!

Dan~Great pics!  Don't you love the medal?

Mary Kay~MARATHONER.  Shall I say it again.....MAR-A-THON-ER!  So proud of you!!!

AZ~Great HM for you.  Feel better soon!

DS2 and I both down with bronchitis, we sound like a couple of barking seals.  No running.Cry  Here's the RR promised.

On Friday my family made the 3 hour drive through pockets of heavy rain to the Door Peninsula.  Picked up our race packets at the town hall and settled in at our condo rental located near the state park entrance.  Enjoyed dinner of Beer Cheese Soup (how Wisconsin!) and great bread.

Awoke on Saturday 4 hours before the 10am start to stretch and check on the weather report.  Good news – mid 50F degrees, mild wind and sunny skies called for.  Breakfast included strawberry cereal bar, banana and coffee.  Decided to wear SS tech t-shirt, running skirt, ½ zip to keep warm until race start and Brooks Pure Flow 1(my last pair).

We arrived in the park at 8:45 am.  Festive atmosphere w/ music playing, radio DJ interviews, excited runners queued up for a last minute visit to the porta-potty (lots of ‘em)  and others gathered for group photos.  It was great to meet Dan (justrundan) and his lovely wife in front of the large course map.  As nice in person as he is on the thread!

Made the short walk to the start line and joined the 2:25 pace group.  This was the first year the utilized pace groups in an attempt to “clean-up” the start area.  My plan was to stay with the group until 10k and then decide if I should stay with them or move ahead.  Last year I ran a 2:31 here as my first HM.  I hoped to run at least 2:24, or shoot for 2:20 if I was feeling strong.  If I could hold a 10:40 pace, it would work out.  The start horn blew promptly at 10am, and I crossed the mats 2 minutes later.  The first 4 miles of the route travels along the closed park roads and the cobblestone shoreline of Green Bay.  At 1.5 mile first aid station, I broke away from the 2:25 group because so many stopped for water!

The park was just waking up from a long winter slumber.  Only 2 weeks ago, 6” of ice packed part of the route.  The RD had planned an alternate route if it didn’t melt by race day, luckily it did.  At 4 miles we begin a long climb to the top of Sven’s Bluff.  The bluffs are the western edge of the Niagara Escarpment, a large bowl of rock of which Niagara Fall is the eastern edge.  Did you like your geology lesson class?  Dan and I would catch up with each other periodically and check on our progress.  We encouraged each other to “kill the hill” as we charged up the bluff.  Dan’s numerous hill repeats during training were certainly effective because he whipped that hill!  At the top of the bluff the local Parrothead club dressed as Pirates w/ a huge pirate ship, manned the aid station.   As we descended the bluff, numerous enthusiastic spectators flanked the route at the course crossroads.  Many were holding encouraging signs, clanging cow-bells and lots of kids offered high-fives to the runners.   I have never received so many high fives!

Approaching mile 6 I felt strong and my pace was 15-20 seconds faster than plan.  At 10k the clock read 1:05 which was my finish time at my last hilly 10k race in March.  Too fast, and I remember thinking I’m going to crash and burn in the next 6 miles.  I tried hard to rein in my pace during the next 2 miles as we are on a long straight-away deep in the park filled with tall white pines, aspen and birch trees.  The silence of the woods was broken by the strains of a bag piper (Freedom!) and another large crowd of spectators located along the park golf course.  At 8 miles I took one Hammer Apple-Cinnamon gel and water.

As we approach the 9 mile marker we are on the bluffs once again.  The views of the islands that dot Green Bay are breathtaking, and the dunes of Upper Michigan are visible across the bay.  The descent from the bluff is steep and I am careful to not fly down too carelessly and do a face plant.  At the base of the hill there are still plenty of spectators cheering runners.  Mile 10 is my favorite part of the park.  The route winds through a grove of 100+ year old cedar trees that arch over the roadway, creating a canopy of fragrant greenery.  It feels like we are in a Gothic Cathedral, but more beautiful because it is at the hand of nature.  I remember thinking this is a road course AZ would like!

Mile 11 we begin to retrace the first 2 miles and climb a short but steep climb at the 100 year old Eagle Bluff Lighthouse. I run half way up, then swiftly walk to the top.  Grab one last cup of water from the final aid station.  The breeze off the bay is chilly but welcome at the end of the journey.  The first few miles of 10:15-10:20 pace are returning to haunt me during mile 12, but the gorgeous views along the shore keep me going.  I take a recovery walk of .15, okay, let’s bring it on home to the finish. I pick up the pace the last mile which is down hill to the finish.  At .4 to go, I see my 2 sons and DH and they encourage me to push it just a little further to the finish line.  Close to the finish line, an announcer called out my name, hometown and age when I came in.  Cool -- I felt like a rock star!!  The RD placed the medal around my neck w/ congratulations.  Garmin reads 13.19 miles @ 2:19:36.  Official time was 2:19:10.  I am thrilled!!!  Splits were between 10:10 to 11:03, with mile 13 @ 10:10 pace.

Grabbed a Gatorade at the finish and walked to the Runners’ Concourse to meet up with my guys.  Lots of hugs & kisses and asked how every one did.  DS1 also ran the HM, DS2 and DH the 5k and everyone PR’d!  DS1 and I take a recovery walk/run through the campground area, get our finish time receipts printed and grab some food.  Chocolate milk, water, Gatorade, sliced oranges, bananas and assorted BIG cookies – yum!We caught up with Dan and his DW.  Dan ran an awesome race.  He ran super strong, especially on the hills.  WTG Dan!  It was great running together.  We drove through the park and DSs challenged me to climb to the top of the 75-ft Eagle Bluff look out tower.  I believe there is a moment of time after you run a distance race when your judgment is suspect!  My son and I ran 13.1 miles then we climbed the 110 stairs to the top of the tower.  Oh my quads!  The view from top is stunning, and we stayed up there for awhile to take in all we had done that day.  Back to the condo for a Diet Coke w/ LOTS of ice, and DH and I enjoyed the sun on the deck.  Everyone ate a great dinner and then to hear a great band at one of the two parties held for the runner’s in Sister Bay.

Thanks for indulging me with my long winded RR.  I LOVE this race, and am so blessed to be able to participate in it.

RUN STRONG FRIENDS!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Dan and Debra - Thanks for the wonderful race reports and congratulations on the great times!  One day, I hope to meet one or more of our on-line friends at a race too.

Cheers everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Debra:  just loved your RR!! And to be 'thought of' at mile 10!! I was cheering you both on while reading the RR, especially on the first hill, WTG!! You do convey your love of running this race, such detailed description of the course is tempting me to make the trip next year and join you two!  CONGRATS to a beautiful run and finish time!! The event made more memorable with DS running too!!  Such encouragement and shared passion is awesome!! And now you and DH are ill, sending wishes of a speedy recovery.  You deserve the rest and also CONGRATS on the 35 yrs of bliss, that's so wonderful. So happy for you on a joyous weekend.

Dan:  ditto! and whoa!! on the bling!! glad your DW took a action photo of you, you're looking strong, and how thrilling on you running strong on that first hill, makes all those hill repeats worth it, right? CONGRATS on your PR too!! That kiss from DW must have been something, I should try that with my DH!! Thanks for sharing the 'secret.' LOL!! Awesoome job on the strong finish!!

It's just so cool to read about running a race with someone from the forum!!  Big grin

My last training run was last Thursday when I returned to northern AZ from PHX.  I made it back in time to join the all women trail running group on Thursday night for a short run of 4 miles, others ran another 2 or 3 miles.  I thought I took it easy but that 'killer hill' within two miles is pretty notorius and is part of a course in a couple of the summer race series so it's a challenge.  I ran it all the way, pretty slowly but it felt great!  The evening was pretty chilly at about 8,000 ft.  Got home and tried to sleep but felt 'achy' and finally took a couple of aspirin around 2 am.  Slept an extra hour but finally got on my way to NM, feeling sluggish, tired, and throat kinda sore, feeling pretty irritated!!  Why NOW?!? darn it!!  Made it to friend's house, went to bed at 8:30 PM!!  Another restless night, feeling more sluggish, chilly, tired, a little congested, right ear/throat kinda achy. Maybe I should have taken ibuprofen but not much I could do about it by the time I got on the shuttle bus for the 25 minute ride to the start line.  Made a friend with another female runner and we chatted and hung around together prior to the race. Weather is nice, a slight breeze, about 45 degrees, pretty clear, a predicted high of about 78 degrees!!  While waiting for our HM to start at 8:30 am, the first FM runner runs by!!  Just incredible, he looked like he was 'jogging' ....and a few minutes lates, a couple of marathon relay runners run by!!  When are we starting?!? The HM shared the same course as the FM.  We start with the 'rock' in the background that the community gets its name from, Shiprock.  Just awesome view, all desert, no trees.  Very similiar to Forrest Gump when he runs near Monument Valley in the movie.  Finally, we are on our way.  I started mid pack, first mile: 9:22, too fast so I slowed down as I started to finally settle in a more comfortable pace. I noticed my friend pass me around mile 3.  I decided to take 1 minute walk breaks after each mile considering how I was feeling and re-evaluate at mile 10.  Had half of the hammer gel around mile 5. I reached 7 miles, 1:06, not bad, right? We make a turn at this point onto the main 4 lane highway which leads into the town of Shiprock.  Took rest of hammer gel. The area is full of supporters, photos being taking, water/snack station, relay runners waiting, vehicles lined up in the on side and center of road, security/police officers dot the course as well.  My brother yells out my name and takes photos, and I yell to him to meet me at mile 11 or 12 so I can give him my hydration belt.  At mile 10, every muscle/joint is aching, have been wiping my nose for most of the way, telling myself how much I "hate running on paved road" because the soles of my feet are aching as well.  Took a second hammer gel (thank goodness I put it in my belt), pace is fading as I checked my time, 1:33.  I knew I was not gonna make sub 2:00 but told myself to just run it! Took last one minute walk break at mile 11, gave my hydration belt to my brother but kept the other half of the hammer gel which I took at mile 12.  I picked up pace last 1/4 mile as it turns into dirt/sand and then paved again last .2 to the finish. Passed a few runners the last mile, sprinted last 1/4 mile, finish in 2:02.

My friend met me and we got some chocolate milk, bananas, I had 1/4 of sub sandwich they were serving!! We waited for awards.  Can you  believe I got 3rd in my AG, female!!  Are you kidding?!? I congratulated the second place runner who was grinning from ear to ear, and a "I finally beat you?"  She deserved it with a time of 1:56.  She noticed I had my home in MN and that the elevation probably affected me.  The first place in our AG finished in 1:52. I did mentioned/predicted that if anyone kicks my a$% for first place, it would be a 50 yr old, and so she did, LOL!!  My brother took a photo of me getting the award which is a Native American pottery instead of medals.  He then tells me that my nephew's wife also ran her first HM!!  She had just finished and came up to me, "I can't believe you run HMs all the time, this is tough!!"  I hugged her on her finish and she wants to do it again, with a training plan. YAY!! Oh, my new friend got first place in the 40-49 AG with time of 1:47!! How cool is that!! I left after the awards, feeling worse by the minute.  Drove the 30 miles back to friend's home, ate a little, cool shower, and iced my knee, took ibuprofen, and dozed off and on for rest of day. Slept better but next morning, woke up congested, slight fever, chilly but not as achy or sore.  Decided to stay another day.  Feeling better Mon. morning. Usually it's a 5.5 hrs drive trip but took longer than that as I stop to rest, walk around to stay awake. Mon. evening, feeling crappy again but woke up Tuesday morning feeling much better.

But the day turned chaotic around 11 am.  DD called from Phoenix that SIL is in the ER!!  I told her I'm on my way, so just threw the same clothes I had just washed and dried from the trip back into bag, had not fully unpacked so threw everything in the car.

DD didn't hear him get ready for work so she checked up on him and found him still in bed, she went to shake him and saw that he was soaked in sweat, couldn't hear him breathing, lips were blue; she thought he was gone.  Called 911, a police officer was nearby who arrived and tried to revive him but no response, firefighters arrived and couldn't revive him either; paramedics finally arrived and took him to nearest hospital about 8 miles away while DD got bags for the GDs packed with help from crisis team.  I met them in the ER, and he's slipping in and out of consciousness, tests are takes, MIR, EEG taken in afternoon (why so late?), no diagnosis yet as of last night. Lots of speculations from the 'experts' but family is waiting, frustrated with all the conflicting reports.  I'm watching the GDs. But thank goodness, SIL is more alert now, he can't remember what happened since midnight Monday night when he fed the baby. He's not in ICU now and, today, we are waiting for the specialists to give us a diagnosis .........

Will give update when I get one, hugging grandbabies and DD alot. She is so scared and the uncertainty is not helping but she is strong. I totally relate per DH's latest health scare in the last few months. Ran 4 miles last evening, it helps me cope and to be thankful for the strength and support of family and friends.

justrundan

AZ- O my how scary for you and DD!  Will pray for all of you.  I know how frustrating that lack of clarity in Dx can be.  Hang in there, so great you were there and  not in MN!  re: Door County, it would be a great race to do!  Or we were considering the relay the weekend before from Oshkosh to Green Bay, with Debra and other folks from the forum.  Either would be fun.

Debra- Great RR!!  You describe it all so well, especially the cathedral of cedars in the last few miles.  You're right, it was cool to hear them announce our names and hometown as we came in.  Didn't expect to hear "Baraboo"!   The treats afterward were great!  I kept going back for chocolate milk and cookies! Smile  You were very brave to climb that look out tower after HM!!  Hope you and DH are feeling better soon.  I sent PM with pic attached.

First run since HM this morning, 4 miles in the quiet of the dawn.  So peaceful!

Run  strong friends!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

AZ~Oh, I am so sorry you all have to go through this.  My heart goes out to you, DD and DSIL!  Prayers said for a correct but speedy diagnosis and treatment.  (((hugs)))

Dan~Your 4 mile run sounds great, hope it was enjoyable. Re:  climbing the tower.....brave, no....foolish, yes!  DS2 and I continue to "hack" away, and I am chomping at the bit to get out and run again.  Congestion too deep in my lungs, so wouldn't be wise.  Think I'll take the bike out, though.  I need to get my legs moving!

Marie~Glad to hear your running is going well.  Enjoy your trip to Chi-town.  Hope you were able to take advantage of running at the lakefront during your stay.

Rich~It would be great to visit San Diego and run with you!  DH was stationed at Coronado and lived in Pacific Beach for a while.  He has described beautiful places to run there.   All the best on your upcoming 10k.

If anyone is racing this weekend, RUN STRONG!  Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mighty Master Moms and to those of you who are like a Mom to someone, too.

Quo Vadis?

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Debra!!!! You killed it lady! whoo hoo, great race!

AZ, congratulations on the AG place. sound like the awards were really nice.  So sorry to hear about SIL. I know your entire family is reeling from shock and uncertainty. All of you are in my prayers.

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!