50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Hey, all. Thank you everyone for your kudos on the marathon!! That was a great feeling and it lasted about a week but it always seems that what goes up must come down. I've had a few short runs and have struggled to enjoy them. This better stop bc I have other plans.

Rich - "Don't drop that medal..." ahhahhaha! No kidding!! Srsly! You're so ready for your 10k! You'll beat that 58!!

Ray - I lived in the Bay Area in the 70's for 9 yrs. Congratulations on your amazing 10k time and AG place!!! You are doing some very strong road work! When is your HM?

Art - Morning runs around 6:30? That is dedication!! i can't imagine having to head out at 3:30 for my long run.

Dan - Loved the Pix, especially the one of you running uphill!! Congratulations again on running such a strong race and I am still drooling over that medal! Such excitement, planning for two wedding parties!! Great job killing those hills in your race and your runs!

Marie - Nice to hear from you and that you're still at it! Strong hill work!!

Debra - Congratulations on your Awesome, awesome HM and time!! 110 stair challenge? That's some running high! Sorry about your chest cold but you did a great job pushing through it! Nice strong 8 miler and what a wonderful Mother's day treat from DS1!

I have 3 easy miles planned but it's 91 and humid, of course. Started a Flat Belly cleanse today, a 1200 cal. diet for four days with no salt or sugar and a lot of other stuff. I'm going for a walk after this post and see if I can adjust my attitude because it's in the dumps.

Strong, safe and happy runs, all!

Mary kay

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Happy MONDAY everyone!!

Still resting from the Fargo HM; planning on a short run tomorrow.  It has been raining for at least 3 days now, soft rain, thus high humidity and temps.  Apparently there were some medical emergencies for some runners in the FARGO event, related to the humidity.

Ankle is healing well after the vino, I mean R-I-C-E the last 2 days, LOL!!

We are leaving for Orlando for a dental conference, have a benefit 5k on Friday morning.  It's an annual event,  very small, not timed but some totally serious runners with their garmins!! LOL!

Registered for a half marathon TRAIL race on June 8th in Brainerd, MN.  I am excited about this as it will be my first trail race here in MN and since Jan. in AZ!!

You all are doing awesome on your summer training goals!!  Stay safe, cool and hydrated!!

Art in AZ

Thought I would stop in before going in the garage to do car stuff.

I see everyone still running with a few of you having races soon. Good luck at the races. Nothing happening here running wise. I still get out but not as much or as far. Kind of in a funk running. I just don't have the desire to run much for some reason. At 67 miles for the month right now, it looks like I won't make my goal of 100 miles a month. But I plan on trying.

Debra - No summer races planned. I looked at the schedule and didn't see anything that really jumped out at me as being fun or interesting. I keep checking just in case. A few Fall events have started showing up.

AZ - Ouch! At least the ankle was just sore. It could have been worse. See, your luck is changing.

Good running to all of you the rest of the week.

Just heard on the news about the tornado by Oklahoma City. I feel sad looking at the pictures.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Good grief, that tornado was huge!! So awful!!!

3 mi. along the river. Heat was a little lower and there was a breeze off the water! Was suposed to be easy but 12:15; 13:35; 14:35. My lactate threshold is 12:55. Need some consistency! Felt great first mile.

So i have a question. Its been 15 days since the big race. Today's run was my 5th and every time my legs have hurt - after 3 mi and even after 2. Not bad pain, just new muscle pain. Is that normal?

Mary Kay

Sad Heart sank hearing about Oklahoma and the children.

Raining for most of the morning but not bad to run in with temps in the 40s but got into the 50s later in the day.  Had to drop off dog at kennel, run errands in town, recycle, and it stopped raining when I got home, headed out the door, the breeze picked up making it pretty 'ideal' to run in but still soaked to the bone after my 4.5 mile recovery run, 44:00.  Ankle took about 1/2 mile to get use to it but it felt ok.

Art:  run in Flag!!

Mkayc:  rest.

You all take care and stay safe.  Gotta finish packing for our Orlando trip tomorrow.

Crazy Diamond

AZ~Great to read the ankle is holding up.  Safe travels to Orlando and have fun "sprinting" the 5k -- I know how you love 'em! Wink  The trail HM in Brainerd should be great, you will be in your element.  I've only been there once, but recall it being beautiful country.

Mary Kay~It's only been 15 days since your FM, it took a big toll on your body.  Take it easy, girl!  Where's your resting heart rate at right now?  If it's up, keep thing light and easy.  You'll be back to regular running soon and stronger than ever!

Art~Sorry you have a case of the running doldrums.Sad  We've all been there, it will pass.  Keep on the look out for a race to do, you never know what might spark a little fire! Smile

Tried a different route for my 6 miler this morning.  I need a safe route to run twice a week from home in the early morning hours.  Usually I"ll drive 10 - 20 minutes to run where I feel comfortable, mostly from unleashed dogs.  I feel pretty good about this route,for the most part sidewalk along a heavily traveled boulevard.  It even has a few hills to keep the run interesting.  Maybe, as soon as DS2  is on summer vacation from school he can join me.   14 yrs. old ... hmm,???  He'll still be sleeping!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Mary kay- I will add my voice to those saying you need to rest more after the marathon. It exhausts you physically, and often emotionally & mentally. Rest. Walk. Bike. Get a good massage or 3. Smile

AZ- enjoy your time in Orlando but really enjoy your upcoming TRAIL race!!  Back in your element.

Art-  I know how that 'funk' feels, kinda there a little now as well. The energy will return.

Run strong.

Dan

saratg

You are all so inspirational "funk" or "no funk" to me as I rebuild following hip replacement.  I dream of trail running in Brainerd, MN!  I've spent many happy hours in that neck of the north woods.  I'm slowly building speed on my treadmill.  I've got a plan & I'm inching my way through it. Building my base.

WDWRich

Art - We've all been through "down" periods.  I'm sure it will pass.  Perhaps once you see a race that catches your attention?

AZ - Orlando!  One of my favorite places- though not for running purposes.  Have a great time!

Mary Kay - Take everyone's advice and allow for some recovery (both physically and mentally).  It will pay off in the long run.

Debra - A 14 yo getting up early to run during summer vacation?  Good luck with that one. Smile

Ran just over 9 miles last Saturday.  Felt great for the first 5 or so, then the legs decided to turn to lead.  Probably because I had been doing a lot of speed and race pace runs in the past two weeks in prep for the Patriot's 10k this coming Saturday.  Will just do a couple of easy runs this week so I'll hopefully be fresh for the race.

Happy running!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

justrundan

Debra- Good luck with the early morning runs with DS2!  Maybe if HS CC coach required it....  Wink

Rich- Good luck with that 10K tomorrow!  That speed training will pay off.

4 miles Monday, with miles 2&3 @ race pace.  9 mile LSD today.  Couldn't force myself out the door @ 0500 on T or Th.  Hope to get in some miles each day this long weekend.

Run strong this weekend friends, and let's remember those who have fallen for our country!

Dan

dyykjt1

Good grief, that tornado was huge!! So awful!!!

3 mi. along the river. Heat was a little lower and there was a breeze off the water! Was suposed to be easy but 12:15; 13:35; 14:35. My lactate threshold is 12:55. Need some consistency! Felt great first mile.

So i have a question. Its been 15 days since the big race. Today's run was my 5th and every time my legs have hurt - after 3 mi and even after 2. Not bad pain, just new muscle pain. Is that normal?

I agree with everyone else mKayc! Actually is was almost 2 months after my FM before I could run 3-4 miles comfortably! My body just did not want to do it! Also, I was about as exhausted mentally as I was physically. The training takes more out of you than the actual Marathon itself, but all of my injuries, aches and pains came to fruition during my Marathon and for the weeks after. Give your self some slack and down time. Your body will love you for it! Smile

Crazy Diamond

Rich~Have a strong and enjoyable 10k race tomorrow!  Looking forward to reading your RR.

Kathy~Great advice to Mary Kay.  I'm making note of all of the wisdom shared by you Marathoners.  Still contemplating one for next year.  How's your running going?

Dan~Great job getting out there this week -- the weather has been crazy!Shocked  Only in the Great Lakes region can you have 80 degrees and 78% humidity on Tuesday,  then frost warnings with potential lake effect snow possible on Friday!

saratg~So great to hear from you! Smile  Wise plan and good progress on building a strong base.  Visualize those beautiful trails while on the treadmill to keep motivated.  Your 2 pups are adorable.

Busy week with DS2's 8th grade graduation and all the activities at the close of the school year.  Did more walking than running this week, but hoping for a regular routine next week.  Gotta make it happen!  This business of not getting my miles in is making me "cranky'!Angry

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Kathy-  you're right about the prep for the marathon taking more out of you than the actual race itself. I was proud I finished the race, but more proud about all those hours bearing down the road on Saturdays, when might have enjoyed something else more (like a MC ride, AZ?). And thankful for DW putting up with me being gone so much during that training!  Smile

Debra-  speaking of marathons, if you are considering one for 2014, think about Fox Cities marathon in September '14.  After doing the HM this fall I'm pondering that one for a long range plan. I've been told by DS&DIL who live there it has amazing support the entire route.

4 miles Saturday, the first 3.1 @ race pace, 28:46. guess that distance training helped speed as well. 5.5 miles today, but didn't take it as easy as I told myself I should after the hard run.   Mary Kay, I don't  always take my own advice. Surprised

Have a great week all! Run strong & safe.

Dan

Saratg, you are an inspiration! I've always heard replacements weren't strong enough for running. It makes sense that you should be able to run if you gradually ease into it. Good for you for trying !

Thanks for the sage advice from all, particularly Kathy, Dan, Rich and Debra! Kathy you did disappear for a while after the Goofy challnge! I'll ride this out because I trust you guys are right and I'm not giving up on something I love this much just because I hate it for the moment. Also, there could be many other things stealing my happy.  Its allergy season, I'm dieting, I'm stressing two promotion interviews this week and spent a lot of time talking a good friend through having his mother commited only to learn her dementia is from advanced lung cancer. "Rest" is a four letter word when it takes me away from crucial things. Maybe next week.

Promised myself some intensive short run work after the race so I can build speed so I've "run" six of the seven days this last week but off today. Tomorrow is speed work. Interviews Wed and Thurs. Power shopped for interview clothes today. Actually had them already but at full price so took them back and rebought them at 40% off and then got a second bunch "because I saved so much." But started the day with a really fun parade so it wasn't a complete bust. Tons of scout troups, 2 dog lovers' orgs walking their owners, boys riding some very high unicycles, a band called "Santa's Goodie Bag" that looked more like Santa's dirty laundry - but sounded good- and a fine showing from first responders. Everyone here throws candy!

Have been eyeing the Fox Citie's medal and have yet to see MI so Dan, Debra, and anyone else, I'd definitely consider that for next fall!

Run strong and happy, my friends!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

dyykjt1

Mary Kay...that was Marie that did the Goofy Challenge! Smile I in no way want to take credit for her accomplishment!

It does sound like you have your hands full now. Also...maybe you could try some cross training to strengthen different leg muscles than those that are used for running. I have cut my running to 4 days a week and doing some cross training and it is really helping my tight hip flexors! It is so hot/humid in the deep South in the Summer that I do not sign up for any races at all. My next event that I am signed up for is in early November and is a HM. In the meantime, I am trying to balance out my muscles, loosen my hip flexors, give my MN time to quiet down and nursing an extensor tendinitis from 6 HM in less than 3 months this year! Black eye

I will be watching all of  you racing and cheering you on! I have a lot of pool time planned with my 4 granddaughters this summer and a lot of golf with my hubby! Looking forward to all of it!

Kathy