50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2022-cooler days? (Read 12 times)

Happy September 

A sunny cool morning in northern MN. Quiet easy 4 miler by myself. Great run. Have a beautiful day 

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Led - You should have more energy for runs when the body is not working to cool down from the heat! Nice to get out early to see the sun rise! Not sure why your tomatoes aren't looking good. Generally they grow like crazy once it get hot in the summer. Blossom end rot has more to do with the tomato turning black on one end, I think flowers setting has to do with night time temperatures.

AZ - Thanks for starting the month! See you are already enjoying cooler weather!

Went out to pick tomatoes from my garden to cook down into sauce. Unfortunately I waited too long to pick some and they already had started to rot! No worry, I have plenty, but hate to waste any. Missed some cucumbers also, taste bitter and are seedy when they get too big. After doing some yard work I rested on my deck and saw a squirrel crawl under the netting I had over the garden! Don't feel like fixing it now, but next spring will have to build a better cover for the top of the garden.

Sunny and 72 degrees at 11:30 am when I did my run. Must have had some cognitive issues, I ran 1/5 of a mile before I started my tracking watch! Then I mistakenly decided I was running in the wrong direction, so ended up running a small part of my route twice! When I had run all around the route and reached where I had turned around, I stopped my Garmin and did a 1/5 mile walk back to the car, perhaps good to do a little walk after a run to clear out fatigue toxins from my legs .
      Here is where I started. Look at the Giant flag at this car dealership! The truck next to the pole gives an idea of how big this flag is!

Almost toppling over, I think this is an old road marker

Showing the sky gives a idea of conditions

I knew there was a hill on this route, instead there was a number of small hills, none particularly steep or high, but cumulatively they took a toll! Legs are sore now!

Looking off into the distance a oval cloud

Past this brewing company. Never heard of "Rising Storm" beer, maybe I'll look for a six pack!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

Thursday morning got in 4.2 doing the canal route.

Friday morning did 4.4 miles.

Saturday morning did 5 miles doing an extended canal route. Weather has been warm in the morning but drier. So a little better. But the afternoons have been hot. Then spent a couple of hours cleaning the backyard an putting it back in order after the patio roof job. Then off to a grandson graduation party.

AZ - Sunny and cool is nice.

Altair - Have a Rising Storm for me. I always try local craft beer given the chance.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Happy September Everyone,

I've been really slack with entering my workouts in RA lately. I'm trying to catch up today. Just popping in to say Hi!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - Good runs, nice the mornings are drier at least for the canal runs. What is the running surface? I just imagine a path paved with asphalt. The supermarket has a set of shelves where you can select individual bottles to make your own six pack of beers. Good way to taste a variety of craft beers!

Wrath - It can take time to enter all the workouts once you fall behind. Good luck getting it all done!

Led - Congratulations on passing 1000 miles for this year! Hey, the bunny is still over 200 miles ahead!

Well, the local race I usually do, the Oak Tree, ran this morning. Did not run it this year nor did I get up early enough to see it. Was falling asleep to a movie last night, but was wide awake after I got ready for bed. Read a book until I felt like sleeping.

A bit of moisture in the air this morning, felt water drops like a light drizzle. Overcast, 71 degrees and slightly foggy when I set out for a short run about 1 pm. I drove to where I wanted to run and a mishap when I parked my car on what looked like a grassy area. The tall weeds hid a ditch and my car fell in and was stuck! I called AAA and they pulled it out.

I was going to abandon the run after that, but needed to use up some nervous energy from the adrenaline rush when the car fell . Some quicker paces than usual in the first mile and a bit faster overall, but only did 3 miles!
            You can see there is still a bit of fog in the air from the hazy views

At mile 2 looking back at the hill where I started. See my yellow car?

And this is Hunt Hill, near the end of the run and my car is behind the hill, just past the crest.

dhuffman63

Trails

So I've been trying to do my 30 min walk and so far I got in 30 min Sat and again today.  I think for now every other day should be doable.  Tomorrow I go see a dietician who hopefully can advise me on how to put on some weight.  I think if I can get the right fuel in then I can do my 30 min every day.

Art in AZ

Sunday and Monday morning did 4.2 miles on my usual route. Sunny, bright sun and very warm in the morning. It's been pretty hot during the day so have been doing the some outside, some inside routine. With this hot and dry weather I'm back to watering the garden every day. Some plants are having a hard time with this weather. I have 2 mini watermelons on one of the plants so far. They get morning sun and in the afternoon they are shaded. So that helps some. With this weather I'm not starting the winter stuff yet. I'll wait a couple more weeks and see if it improves any.

Altair - The paths along the canals are packed dirt and stones. Though the city has been slowly improving one side in different areas to a paved multi-use path that is also lighted. The Albertsons grocery store near me has that option of making your own six pack. Every couple of Fridays they have a $5 Friday where they put several items on sale for the day. Usually they have a few varieties of beer to choose from. I'll pick up a six pack if it looks or sounds interesting. Haven't had a really bad one yet, but have had a few that I didn't like the taste of. But I certainly didn't waste them either.  Luckily your car wasn't damaged and just your ego was bruised a little.

Di - Good luck with the dietician. Hopefully she has good information to help ease back into your routine.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Golly, this is my first post in September!  The three day weekend has been pretty good, running-wise. Eight miles Saturday, seven Sunday, and six today made my 7-day miles approaching 40, more than I've had in a while. Mixed up the courses for both the dog and myself, and that helps our motivation.  The rest of the week will be light mileage, as I taper for a 10K Friday evening.

Altair - Sorry you got stuck.  Good thing you had AAA, but waiting for them usually takes a chunk of time. I hadn't even noticed that I passed 1000, but thanks. You're right, I'm waaay behind the pace bunny!  It won't be possible for me to do 50 miles a week the rest of the year!  I sometimes fail to get my watch started, and have to adjust my log accordingly - happened to me today, and I had to manually figure out and add the distance missed, using the RA "Measure Course" feature.  It was 0.34 miles that my watch didn't log.  I think those gigantic flags are pretty ugly - there needs to be appropriate proportion between the flagpole height and the flag size. There's a freeway gas station that has a flag that practically drags on the ground, it's so big.  Anyway, why do people have to scream how patriotic they are? I'm dubious.

Hi Wrath!

Di - 30 minutes every other day is a good routine for you. Hope dietician will be helpful.

Art - If Arizona has a hard time handling heat and drought, we may be in for some tough times.  Watermelons need water, right?

We recently did a make your own six pack at Trader Joe's - a mix of ciders and ales. Good way to try things without getting a six pack of something you might not like.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Di - 30 minute walks every other day will keep you fit, but if you could do 30 minutes every day that would be better! Hope the dietician has an answer!

Art - Your hot and dry is a contrast to the damp cool weather here! Hope it is not too warm on the morning runs. So do you prefer the packed earth to the paved path? I did not at first like the often bitter taste of the beers with heavy hops, like an IPA, but sometimes I found the citrus like flavor refreshing. Yes, driving the car into the ditch was an embarrassment.

Led - 40 would be very good weekly millage, I'm sure increasing distance will help with the 10K! I had like a 40 minute wait for AAA. Not too long, but would rather have been running! Looks like you do like me and make an estimate when you forget to start the watch. I think the big flag is more of an advertising gimmick than it is to show patriotism. The car dealer is next to route 390 and the cars passing can see the flag from a good distance.

Yesterday I harvested from the garden. I cut up a bowl of tomatoes and boiled them down into sauce. I picked string beans and lightly steamed them. The sauce and beans were split into plastic storage bags and then frozen for later use. There was light drizzle most of the day.

I ordered a new Road ID. The one I had I lost when the Velcro strip wore out. My sister had gotten it for me and she was surprised it had come off my shoes, but she just has one pair of running shoes and just keeps the tag on them, I have like 5 pairs in rotation and have to switch the tag each time! The new tag I'm getting goes on the band of my Garmin watch, so I won't have to move it, it is held by loops, not Velcro and I think it will be more secure.

Still overcast at noon today (Tuesday) with the feel of drops of moisture in the air. Rather cool also at 65 degrees. Decided to do a short run on a road near the river. Very flat for a mile, then a 165 foot climb over the next half mile to my turn around point. At the end of my run I turned onto side street with hardly any traffic and very flat and tried to accelerate to a 7 minute mile pace. Not quite, got to 7:30mm momentarily. Now that is still much faster than I usually run, typically slower than 12mm, but I need to work on this.

Views from both North and South sides of the bridge as I crossed the Genesee River.

Some leaves changing to fall colors already!

From the top of the hill overlooking the valley

And here is where I am going downhill. This shows the road I was on, some traffic, but the shoulders were nice and wide.

dhuffman63

Trails

Yes Altair I know every day is better but at this point all I can manage is every other day and some days even that is a struggle.

The dietician wasn't much help at all.  No real "plan" just some print outs of info I already know.  I need to all more food but again some days that's a struggle.  I'm sick and tired of this kidney crap.

Yes Altair I know every day is better but at this point all I can manage is every other day and some days even that is a struggle.

The dietician wasn't much help at all.  No real "plan" just some print outs of info I already know.  I need to all more food but again some days that's a struggle.  I'm sick and tired of this kidney crap.

Di, ugh your kidney trouble would try the patience of a saint! You clearly know a lot about what is best for you. I wish the experts could be more helpful. Hugs.

I ran my longest run on Strava on Monday! Since I've been running for longer than I've been on Strava, this is not that much of a landmark run, but I'll take it - 9 miles. 

We made it to our northern AZ home last night. Left MN on Friday after signing closing papers. What a nightmare with the buyers up to the last day  but such a relief to get out of Dodge finally.  Have no attachment to northern MN so good riddance. Long drive. Spent 2 days with DH’s aunt in SD. Was tough leaving each other. She’s the only one we are close to. Stayed the next night in NE, then southern CO. DH is still not over whatever he has and Mr Bones hates long car trips so he wasn’t feeling well either. DH drove the UHaul truck while hauling his Focus. I followed with the big Dodge truck. What a wonderful feeling to be home and sleep till whenever….today.  But I’m still on central time so up early while the boys slept in. One of our neighbors helped us unload the UHaul. What a huge difference; the couple of big heavy items would have taken us all day. Since UHauls are independently owned, we have to return it to Sedona, ugh!!! Can’t stand Sedona; I have to follow DH. No running for some days. Just too busy and exhausted each day with the move. Have a massage scheduled tomorrow. Need it!

The flooding has left quite a mess in our neighborhood but lots of work by the county in repairs and future mitigation efforts are slowly getting done whenever funding is approved. Our driveway got the worse of it. But with all the rain, the weeds, brushes, etc are overgrown and surrounded the houses. The least of the  concerns I’m sure, for the neighbors who are stressed out with the damages from the flooding. 
                            Need a few days to readjust to being home permanently. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

We made it to our northern AZ home last night. Left MN on Friday after signing closing papers. What a nightmare with the buyers up to the last day  but such a relief to get out of Dodge finally.  Have no attachment to northern MN so good riddance. Long drive. Spent 2 days with DH’s aunt in SD. Was tough leaving each other. She’s the only one we are close to. Stayed the next night in NE, then southern CO. DH is still not over whatever he has and Mr Bones hates long car trips so he wasn’t feeling well either. DH drove the UHaul truck while hauling his Focus. I followed with the big Dodge truck. What a wonderful feeling to be home and sleep till whenever….today.  But I’m still on central time so up early while the boys slept in. One of our neighbors helped us unload the UHaul. What a huge difference; the couple of big heavy items would have taken us all day. Since UHauls are independently owned, we have to return it to Sedona, ugh!!! Can’t stand Sedona; I have to follow DH. No running for some days. Just too busy and exhausted each day with the move. Have a massage scheduled tomorrow. Need it!

The flooding has left quite a mess in our neighborhood but lots of work by the county in repairs and future mitigation efforts are slowly getting done whenever funding is approved. Our driveway got the worse of it. But with all the rain, the weeds, brushes, etc are overgrown and surrounded the houses. The least of the  concerns I’m sure, for the neighbors who are stressed out with the damages from the flooding. 
                              Need a few days to readjust to being home permanently. 

So glad you're done with MN and finally home for good!  Give yourselves plenty of rest as soon as you can!  Thanks for the update!

I ran my longest run on Strava on Monday! Since I've been running for longer than I've been on Strava, this is not that much of a landmark run, but I'll take it - 9 miles. 

Runwrath:  good for you!! 9 miles is still a great distance.