50 and over 5k and beyond

May 2016 runs and workouts (Read 8 times)

adkkev

Monday - 5 mile run on the nature trail

Tuesday - another 5 mile run on the nature trail.

My wife was walking on the nature trail this morning & saw two foxes off in the distance, across a plowed field.  She got some pretty good photos of them too.  (her Nikon CoolPix has a pretty good zoom on it)

Supposed to be in the 80s for the rest of this week .... early taste of summer.

justrundan

5 miles on country roads yesterday and today, had later start to the day so I didn't have to rush as much as usual.

back to the usual schedule tomorrow.  

80's and possible thunderstorms most of this week, so that week of spring went by quickly.  Better than the snowflakes we had 2 wk ago.

You all have a great week!

Dan

Art in AZ

I got in 5 miles on Monday morning before I started with other things.

Tuesday was a rest day because of an early class.

Was planning to run this Wednesday morning but got involved in the home office and here it is lunch time.

Dan - Glad the weather and schedule has been better for you. My run Sunday was in the low to mid 70s I think. This whole week we have been about 10 degrees below our average of 99 degrees this time of year during the day. So the morning temps have been pretty nice to run in. But never fear, the temps start going back up this weekend.

adkkev - Sounds like both of you had a good time on the trip.

Ray - Getting runs in around family activities is something I know we can all understand.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

HI everyone!!  Finally home in northern AZ since yesterday.  IT WAS WINDY!! for most of the drive on the Interstate from Albq., NM.  There is/was a couple of fires and I could see the smoke on my drive from Winslow, AZ.  So didn't get my short run in.  But today, it is still windy but not as bad as yesterday, the wind shifted the smoke away somewhat but I ran on a different mtn trail that didn't seem to be in the middle of the smoke.  Finished 6 miles this morning.

Saturday:  HM trail race at Palmer Lake, CO was great!!  It is part of the Colorado Endurance Series.  My Denver friend accompanied me on the drive there, she's never been to a race!!  After registering, we wander among the few vendors setting up at 6:30 am.  The HM didn't start until 8 am and the 10K at 8:15.  Went to a Hoka shoe vendor.  Turns out that you could actually 'run' in them for the race to give it a try!!  They are used shoes with very few miles, they looked new to me.  So against the cardinal rule of 'don't try anything new on race day," I tried out the Challenger model.  Very light and cushioned.  The first half of the race was flat, dirt packed with small pebbles, a few large mud puddles under the shadow of the few trees that lined up the trail (melting of the snow).  The first of 3 aid stations was about 1 mile, and the second was about 3.5 mile turnaround, and we passed the 1st one again.  I carried my small Nathan handheld with a couple of salt tabs and grabbed a packet of sport beans at the 2nd aid station (yay!!). I took one minute walk break after every 2 miles.  "Injury area" feeling okay and I'm wearing calf sleeves which seems to really help.  After 6 miles, the trail became more rolling hills in 'OPEN SPACE' region.  Then mile 8, 9, 10 was LONG gradual UPHILL with switchbacks!!  It felt ENDLESS!!  Reached elevation of at least 5500 ft. which really didn't bother me.  It was the FULL SUN exposure of the second half that zapped my energy (and of others' from the comments).   I took more walk breaks, counting to 60 seconds of jogging, then 30 secs walk breaks till I reached the top, mile 10!! The view was gorgeous!!  It would have been great if there was an aid station up there.  I ran out of water, my Nathan was leaking the whole time!!  The sport beans were life savers. Downhill portion was pretty steady and controlled, my 'injury' area was beginning to complain so slowed down once I reached a more leveled trail.  Finally reached the aid station around mile 12, drank a cup of water and continued on. It was HOT!! No breeze! My 'goal' was to see if I could finish under 2:30 and the last half mile, I sprinted in and finished 2:28:37.  Overall 96/143.  I placed 9th out of 12 in AG (first 50-59 was 2:00:25).  51/89 gender place.  I was happy with time and effort considering this was my first trail race this year.  5 months of patient but frustrating training runs to heal from this weird injury.  It was kinda emotional for me when I thought about it in the end.  I know I could have pushed it but ran it smart so not to risk re-injury.  It's feeling okay, lots of foam rolling.  This trail race was not technical at all so it was actually the ideal race to see if my injury would survive the distance and no major problems the next day.  The Hoka shoes were great in cushioning on the flatter gravel/dirt portion but didn't have the response on the heel portion, IMO. I think it's better for technical trails.  I got a pair of Hoka compression socks as a thank you!

My next trail race is the Sacred Prayer Run 10K (and 5k) on June 4th.

adkkev

Nice race report Az!!  Nice to get to try out some different shoes too.

4.5 mile run on the nature trail with some walking around afterwards.  Sunny, breezy, and warm!!  80+ degrees!

adkkev

Thursday -  3 mile run on the nature trail, 1.5 walk thrown in there too.  Saw a mid-sized painted turtle laying her eggs beside the trail.  I wonder if the eggs will get dug up by one of the other animals that frequent the area ... didn't seem like a very protected spot at all.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

rmcj001

Two official days left to my running week and already a shade over 50 miles. Tuesday, was a nice cool day and watch was giving bogus distance and mile times, which made me mad and run faster, result was just over 10 miles in just under 80 minutes. Rest of the week has been easy runs, but all over 10 miles. Hoping to keep things up over the weekend and may finish out the month on a good note.

Az - Nice race report and congrats on a race well done!

addkev - gotta like the foxes! DS2 and I saw a California grey fox at a night race a year ago (they can climb trees).

Dan - That sounds warm for you this time of year. We've been a bit cooler here, tho this weekend it should get into the 80's.

Art - Hope the home office didn't get in the way too much...

Ray

justrundan

10 miles on DWD trails this morning. Originally planned to slowly do the entire race but shouldn't have done 4 mi on TM with hills yesterday.  Legs didn't want to do the last 2.9 mi section and I was back at the parking lot anyway.  Really needed water, it was muggy today.  Maybe next weekend I'll plan it better. 

AZ- nice race report and very nice race.  You will be so ready for these hills.  Enjoy your time in the SW.

Ray- wow, 50 miles already this week.  nice!

adkkev-  is the nature trail close to your home?  Nice you can use it readily.

Have a good weekend everyone,and remember the reason for the holiday!  Run safe

Dan

Art in AZ

8 miles Friday morning to sort of make up 3 days rest.

3 miles Saturday morning before starting on things around the house.

13 miles this Sunday morning. Sunny, slight wind made it feel a little cool. Run felt good, not terribly tired at the end. Woke up a little after 6 and figured to get the run in early. Started at 6:40 and finished at 8:39 according to the clock in the kitchen. So not a bad time at all. Only 5 months to the Haunted Half. Now to just get through the summer that is starting now.

AZ - Nice report and run there. See the gradual training ramp up paid off. A good race and no further injury. I think that's a good idea to let the runners test run a shoe. That would be great to get a lot of feedback right after using the shoes. Good luck at the Sacred Prayer Run.

adkkev - good running on the trail and the wildlife sighting as a bonus.

Ray - I'll echo what the others are saying. 50+ miles in less than a week. Wow. Sounds like you're maintaining nicely for the next race.

Dan - It's still a good practice run and next week will be better. It always helps to have the time to adjust to the conditions before a race.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Monday did 18 miles on the bike. Mostly a relaxing ride until a road bike passed me. Got my competitive spirit going and tried to catch up. I did but only because he had to wait at a light.  Followed my normal route back at a more pedestrian pace.

Tuesday morning decided to take a rest day and relax before getting ready to visit some clients.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Hi everyone!  After my Saturday HM trail race in CO, I left on Sunday and stayed till Tues. visiting DS/DIL and a couple of friends in Albq. NM.  Made it to northern AZ home on Tuesday, WINDY, WINDY!! for most of the drive on the interstate!  Ran on Wed, 6 miles. On Thursday, met up with Trail Divas for a 5.5 mile run starting around 8,000 ft and running down to 7,000 ft.  It was AWESOME!!  Rest Friday and drove to Phoenix to visit with 2 granddaughters and DD.  Picked up DH who flew in on Saturday morning.  Sunday and Monday, we drove to NM to attend two nieces' graduation receptions and visited family.  We returned LATE LATE Monday night.  Planned on running about 12-14 miles on Tuesday but barely made it to 9.5 miles!! I was so tired BEFORE I even started. Felt 'OK' with 1 min walk break after every mile till 6 miles then my feet/legs felt like cement!!  I  had to sit a couple of minutes a couple of times. No energy at all.  Walk break every 1/2 mile the last 3 miles. The 'heat' around 80 DEGREES!! didn't help either!! OMy goodness!!   Between AZ/NM, we lose/gain an hour and that hour sure affects my sleep.  I don't feel like I'm getting the rest I need to run at this elevation but I'm trying! So I rested yesterday and drank lots of COLD water.  Today, I will be meeting the Trail Divas again for a 5.5ish miles but I will get in a few miles before, would like to run about 10-12 miles today.

All sounds well with each of you.  Have limited time on computer at library.  Will check in when I can.  Be safe and stay cool!!