50 and over 5k and beyond

September Runs & Workouts (Read 21 times)

rmcj001

NHRich -  I only fly when falling off cliffs...The article was interesting.  I'm so bad on nutrition

Chantilly - 20 miles in 2 days!  Maybe more ?!  I'd be sleeping, great job!

WDRich - we're supposed to get some rain overnight here in the bay area, crossing my fingers and toes.

Az  Sorry to hear about Odie.  Some nice running on this trip!  Keep it up!

Yesterday was probably a bit warmer then I thought - high 70's maybe low 80's.  Today 90F, might have contributed to my darker thoughts during the run today.  8.2 miles in 1:12:40 - just glad that I got it done.

Ray

justrundan

AZ- so sorry to hear about Odie.  Hope the time in WA is relaxing and rejuvenating.

I read the nutrition article, but I think it has many holes in it:  Since my last physiology class was many years ago, I check with an exercise physiologist at the hospital, and a dietician.

-normal body pH 7.35-7.45- correct, this is slightly basic (7 is neutral)

-at a pH of 6.6, which they mention, you won't have to worry about your bones, because you will be dead.   Your body's systems don't tolerate that acidic an environment.  If someone comes into the ER and pH is less than 7.2, they are going to the ICU.

-When lactic acid is produced it is metabolized quite quickly by the liver, producing more energy, and doesn't have a net affect on pH.

-the kidney produce bicarbonate to buffer any excess acids; they can make the urine more acidic as well.

-The lungs are very able to get rid of the extra CO2 produced when we run.  The tidal volume (volume of each breath) and resp rate go up significantly, so the total air moved/min will get rid of the CO2 (unless someone has severe lung disease, but these people aren't out there running).

If this were true, we should see a rash of osteoporosis in distance runners/triathletes.  But weight bearing exercise like running is good for bones.  (osteoporosis is sometimes a problem in female runners who run to such a low BMI that they stop ovulating and having periods, but that's an estrogen thing)

I think most of those foods on the list are very healthy (not sure about all the grasses!  )  and are good for you, but you don't need them to balance the excess acid from running.   They  look like a very good source of B vitamins and antioxidants.

Happy running!

Dan

NH Runner

Thanks Dan, for commenting on that article.   It's unbelievable how much misinformation is on the web and glad you were here to set things straight!   I'll be more careful about linking to "helpful" information in the future...

Ray... If we were meant to fly, we'd have wings, eh?

adkkev

Hi Everyone .... I have been AWOL this month ... and after reading through all your posts I see that everyone is really going strong!!

Anyhow ... a brief rewind to the end of August ... my Dad passed away on the 31st, he was 94+ yrs old.  A bit unexpected despite his age ... but he passed quietly & peacefully.  He was a pretty low key guy, didn't want anyone to make a big deal out of anything, no services, etc.

We had a vacation planned and in keeping with my Dad's wishes, we went on with our plans.  Well, we HAD planned a vacation to Prince Edward Island but we discovered relatively inexpensive tickets to Anchorage so we had changed our plans from PEI to Alaska to see our son & his family.  So off we went ... spent a day exploring some of the area around Anchorage down Turnagain Arm, then drove up to Fairbanks to visit with our son & his family, spent several days with them doing all sorts of things, then drove back down to Anchorage & our flight back east. This year has been the wettest on record for Fairbanks but we were very fortunate to have sunny skies every day with temps in the upper 50s, low 60s ... and the fall colors were starting to appear everywhere.  Great times with our two grandsons (aged 6 & 2) ...

Here's a taste of our adventure:

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Will you be trying for a BQ at CIM? A net downhill course, I hear that it is a good race to make the attempt. It still seems too hot for SF.

az2mntrail Sorry about the loss of your dog. A difficult time for you.

justrundan Have a good run. Agree with no need for special nutrition for acid/base balance due to running. I don't like diets that call certain natural foods bad and others good. Everyone we know who is 80 years old ate bacon & eggs and coffee and all fruits and vegetables. But they worked hard, they didn't sit around watching TV and playing video games.

adkkev Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope he had a good life.  Nice vacation for you to see your son. Good picture.

NH Runner We like your links to articles. They are interesting and give something to think about.

13 miles. Next 3 days off due to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/18... 8 mile railtrail run today.   That's a mile longer than anything I've done since this latest comeback, so I'm happy.    The pace early on felt easy, but got my attention before the run was over.   11:29 first mile to warm up, then 10:10, 10:00, 10:00, 10:06, 10:10, 10:04 and 10:04.   Now it's time for a day off to let the last few workouts sink in...

az... sorry to hear about Odie, this stuff is never easy...

adkkev... so sorry to hear about your Dad.   Sounds like you made the right choice by heading North.   Time spent with family is always special...

Chantilly...thanks.   I don't intentionally post bad info, but don't want to waste people's time here either.   Maybe in the future I'll add a "For What's It's Worth" to the link...  Thanks again to Dan for setting things straight.

You're tearing up the track lately, nice run!

rmcj001

Chantilly - The weather in the Bay Area is a bit freaky.  SF is almost always much colder then other parts (except for maybe Pacifica) and I work near San Jose (40 miles from SF) where the weather is much warmer.  Where I grew up, Vacaville (about 50 miles from SF out in the valley) is even warmer.  But, 90F is much warmer then average. CIM is a net downhill and if the calculators are close, based on SF marathon time I should be down closer to 3:33.  Those midweek distances your putting in are impressive.

Dan - It's good that there is someone in the group that has some actual knowledge 

Adkkev - My condolences.  Doesn't matter if it is expected or not, losing a parent is hard.  Nice pic!

NHRich - Damn!  That's a pretty consistent pace!  Enjoy the off day!

We got a bit of drizzle overnight.  Temps are a bit cooler, but humidity is way up.  8.4 miles in 1:08:45.  Retiring my VFF Komodos after 1708 running miles.  DW ordered new VFFs Tuesday and should be at home when I get there.  Now at 108 miles for September, meaning I now have 12 consecutive months of running 100 miles or more.  Should break 1500 miles for the year tomorrow.

Ray

WDWRich

Dan - Thanks for the additional insight on the nutrition article.  Very helpful to get a different take on these things.

Ray - We got some drizzle here this morning as well.  Temps have cooled by almost 20 degrees, but it is still humid.

DW is having a garage sale tomorrow morning, so I'll help her with that and run on Sunday morning instead.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

rmcj001

WDRich - Yes, very humid.  Good luck with the garage sale.

Fri, 9/19, 10.7 in 1:30:22, temp mid to high 70's but humid.  Totally soaked when I got back...

Enjoy your weekend.

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 9/20... after taking yesterday off, I thought I'd be good to go today, but Thursday's 8 miler must have been too much, too soon and my legs were still sore today.   Ended up running 3 easy miles on the railtrail and when I got home, my wife told me Simba had whined at the door for quite a while after I left, thinking I was going to take him with me.

So... another 1.5 mile walk with Sim to ease my conscience...

justrundan

Looks like September weather is agreeing with most of us!  (Sorry for you folks in SoCal)

5.5 Friday, 5.3 today, then another 3 mile hike @ Devil's Lake this evening with DW, DS and DDIL.  Birthday celebration for DDIL and I today.  Way too much very rich dessert!  Rest day tomorrow.

Deb- was your HM this weekend?

Dan

rmcj001

NHRich -  Recovery runs are for recovery, nice and slow.  Walk with the dog icing and probably really good for recovery.  There's no real rush, you're doing great.

Dan - Nice runs!  The walks and family time, priceless!

Sat, 9/20, 6.5 miles in 55 flat in the late evening, dark by the time I got back.  Sun, 9/21, 4 mile progressive run on the TM 1st mile was 9:02 and last mile 6:55 - was smart kept a small towel with me to wipe off the sweat off.  Mon, 9/22, got up early to get a run in since I have a dentist appt today, 65F but was way tired (at least mentally) 6.5 miles in about 58 minutes (hard to say battery died on garmin just past 4 miles).  DW had to do a practice hike on Saturday, so got a 5 mile hike in then.  Sunday she had to help lead a hike of about 10 people, so got another 4.5 - 5 mile hike in.

Ray

NH Runner

Sunday, 9/21... 5 mile railtrail run, splits were 10:37, 10:00, 10:23, 10:31 and 10:37.

Monday, 9/22... 4 mile railtrail run, splits were 11:44, 10:26, 10:19 and 10:06.    Decided I need to calm down and slow down for a bit, yesterday's run was a struggle because I'm trying to rush this come-back.    Today's run was better, ran relaxed and didn't try to push the pace.

Dan and Ray... Nice training the last few days, Happy Belated Birthday Dan!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Good running there, realize that it is tempting to push the pace.

rmcj001 Congratulations on your streak of 100+ MPM.

Some of my running group are planning on going to CIM, but the first week of Dec. is not good for me.

justrundan  Happy B'day!

9 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/23... 5 mile road run, splits are quicker due to better footing than the railtrail... 9:40, 9:01, 9:06, 8:56 and 9:03.

Chantilly... nice run!   We've got a local race coming up that's right up your alley, a 50K that's run partially on the railtrail that I run.  The majority of it though is on trails through the woods.   There's also a half marathon the same day, but I'm not even fit enough to tackle that...