50 and over 5k and beyond

Oct '22 A little speedwork scarecrow? (Read 10 times)

Art in AZ

A quick stop in while I do some email migration work for a client.

Getting my miles in most days. Sunday morning it was a good day for a bike ride. Got in 31.3 miles. Part of it was on a different canal so saw new things. No car ride today. Adjusted the headlights last night and as I walked around the car I noticed no tail lights. That's not good. I looked at the wiring today and found one wire broke so far. Need to get the proper connector to fix it.

Altair - Since you mentioned exercise equipment part of the new canal went through Chandler and to my surprise there were several different exercise stations there. Looked pretty new as the paint was still shiny. Getting your strength back takes a while. I like the pictures of fall.

AZ, Led, Runwrath - Hi.

Back to work.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair: love the photos .... already signs of fall. Strength workouts tend to be neglected at times in my world too but I try to keep up with free weights and PiYo. Nice to have some exercise stations along your running route.

Art: hey ...... nice long bike ride. Taillights are important for sure  DH is replacing headlights too and searching for LED lights for his Chevelle Laguna. He's been driving his Chevelle although it needs more work especially the interior. But he's been busy with the front driveway which is looking better each day.

So my 3rd race of the year was on Saturday, The Soulstice "prairie" run 2022. It was moved to a different location due to the trail/road closures by the Forest Service from the wildfires and monsoon flooding.

Perfect chilly morning for a run with big clouds looming all day ...... some light rain later in the afternoon. About 224 trail runners. Most ran the short course,10k and the rest ran the long course,11 miles which I ran.

Very ROCKY mostly flat dirt road. I've been having some issues with my quarter-sized blister (which is a thick callous) on my right forefoot for a couple of weeks,  mostly after mile 8 or longer. I hoped it wouldn't be a problem but the blister got inflamed around mile 7 and then, I stepped on a very sharp rock with my left foot, double ouch! Had to take off my shoe to massage my feet. That slowed me down. I wore two socks because I had the wrong insoles in my shoes too.

I missed 3rd place AG by about 3 1/2 minutes. If I ran the 10k, I would have gotten 1st in my AG, ha! My 6 mile split time was 58:51. Oh well...... finished time: 1:57.

The event benefits Big Brothers/Big Sisters and always has a raffle post-race with awesome prizes for running, camping, hiking. I won a pair of hiking socks, and running socks, and bamboo utensil set (w chopsticks/straw/wire cleaner). Post-race food included grilled hot dogs, beer, etc or bring your own food/drinks (which I did) and chairs to enjoy the gorgeous day.

I met a hiker on one of my recent training runs and we met up a couple of times since for short hikes. She's more of a road runner but hasn't run in a few years. But would like to try a trail race on FLAT terrain, ha!! I invited her and she cheered me on and took photos. It was nice to have someone who was excited just to be at trail run event. 

I'm getting ready for my Grand Canyon North Rim camping/hiking.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Saturday, Oct. 11 - Got the Market to Market done. Got up at 3:45 am so I could park near the finish line and pile into the van with my team members by 4:30. No one was late or missing this year! (Last year our fastest runner called in at 3:30 am with possible covid symptoms, so we had regroup as a 7-person team.) For our first 6 or 7 years I was team captain, and had to organize it all, rent the van, drive, etc. Nice to have no responsibility other than to run this year! Anyway, we drove to Omaha and I, being runner #1 hurried to check in and pick up the "baton" - really a snap bracelet. Got a team pic at the starting line, turned on my headlight and taillight and I was off.

It was 32F, so I was happy to be wearing my fluorescent yellow running jacket for this one.  Stage 1 was 3.4 miles, flat, paved, a suburban trail. It was dark, foggy and a bit eerie with the runners' lights being about all we could see. A nice run, my fastest of the day, unsurprisingly.

Handed off to runner #2, and I could relax while we chased him and the next six runners.  We'd pile out at each exchange point and cheer for our finishing and starting runners.

Side note:  This is a real logistical challenge for the race organizers. They need to know the predicted speed of all the teams and spread them out so that there aren't 650 vans trying to park at the same time at the exchange points. There have to be teams of volunteers directing traffic at each place. They hire a data consulting company do do all the math for timing the team waves.

My 2nd run was stage 9, now out in the country but on a crushed limestone trail.  This was a grinding, 5.6 mile, mostly uphill slog into a light headwind.  Not so fast this time.  It ends, though, with a run across the Platte River pedestrian bridge, which is perfectly flat, probably 1/2 mile long, and scenic.

Noon, and time to gobble down a sandwich, so that I could have time to digest before my last stage.  I drank I think, 4 bottles of water and a bottle of Gatorade during the race (and more afterward).  Getting warm now.

Stage 17 was on very familiar turf, the MoPac, where I do many of my long runs.  Legs not so peppy by now, and I'm feeling a bit of a side stitch. Sad  Ran through it - experience has told me that it will usually go away after a while.  This was 3.9 miles.

Now I'm done, and allow myself to eat cookies and another banana and lots of H2O, while we support the remaining 4 runners.  We do have a final 1/4 mile stage where the whole team makes our triumphant final run over a bridge to the finish line.

Final team time: 12 hours, 26 minutes, 78 miles.  Stayed and ate at the finish line party, then returned the van and drove our captain home.  Long day.

I'll respond to some of your posts later.

Art in AZ

Monday was a rest day as I had early work.

Tuesday morning git in 4.4 miles with exercise. Got home and had breakfast and did a little work and remembered I needed to go to the bank. Since it was still nice out decided to ride the bike. Did 12.3 miles. A double exercise day. Or a two for Tuesday.

AZ - Nice job on the trail race. Luckily you didn't incur any other difficulty. I know running on rocky surfaces can be difficult at times because of the way we try to keep our feet in good positions. Nice to have someone there to cheer you on.

Led - That was a long day. Staggering the starting times was essential. I can imagine the traffic jam if they didn't do that. Everyone had a good time and you'll have stories to tell others.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - 31 miles is a long bike ride! Nice to go on a different canal, makes it interesting! My cousin lives in Chandler! Exercise stations are a cheap way to get fit! Nice to add in a bike ride to the bank. I just got a "retro overtime" check from work, although I've been retired almost a year! I'll follow your example and do a bike ride to deposit it!

Az - Excellent 11 mile trail race, so did you miss hills on the flat prarie course? The dirt roads I run on sometimes have like inch sized stones, they don't hurt my feet, but can mess up my balance if my shoe lands on one. Have you tried using like a circle of moleskin around the blister? That seemed to have eliminated what looked like a corn between my toes. Interesting that the faster runners are often in the longer races! Lucky you to win raffle prizes! When I do the local half I always seem to win something, I wonder if I'm so sorry looking after the race they have me "win" something out of pity! Good you made a new hiking friend!

Led - The Market to Market sounds like it was a fun event! I Tried to find the name of your team in the race results, the Turtles? Well, I magnified the photo and see you were LI-COR and your team was actually a few seconds faster than 12:26:00. Never did a relay, a race starting in the dark or ran using headlights! Interesting with such a long race to go from sub freezing to warm conditions. The planning of the race seems complicated and they were lucky that all went well!

With cold weather season on the way I decided to focus on finishing up most of the yardwork while I can. I had a lot of piles of tree limbs. The cherry wood I cut to smaller pieces and placed in my wood pile. The rest of the wood I've been using to build up the slope from my yard to the woods, which is several feet lower than most of my yard. I have covered part of the piled wood with twigs and then leaf and grass clippings so I can walk over it into the woods. The deer like to lie on the new soft surfaces. I also picked and dried herbs from the garden and put them in jars. I've been mowing the yard and going over leaves in some areas and I started to save a pile of mulch for the spring garden. Today I was clearing some wild grape vines and turned around and a deer was just a few feet away eating the grapes! Guess it has no fear of me! Note the wild grapes are mostly a thin covering over a big seed, not too good for human consumption! One issue I had was the bolt holding the lawnmower blade fell out and I can't find it! I'm using Gorilla tape to hold the blade on, it seems to be working!

Today it was sunny and in the low seventies! I've been slacking on my running with healing from the teeth extraction and the yardwork, but had to do a run on such an excellent fall day! Wore shorts and, for maybe the last time for a while, I went shirtless! I did a 4 3/4 mile loop. Not being consistent for a while I did feel tired by even the less than 5 mile distance, but when I looked at my pace later I did see I was going faster than I thought! Felt good to feel the sun and warmth! This time of the year can often be chilly and overcast.
            Stubble left on a corn field and those hills in the background are on the other side of the lake (which you can't see from where I took the picture)

Some horses by a silo and barn

I like to take a picture of one of the roads I'm running on to show you. The trees are still mostly greenish yellow, but just a few have turned red or orange

A big puddle and perhaps two hundred Canadian geese, maybe gathered together for migration?

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

It was a warm 70 degrees like yesterday, only overcast. I did a walk around the block which included going into the park to exercise. No progress on what I could do, like Art said it takes time. At start of walk I accelerated for a few moments to a 4.4 mph speed, which if I were to walk a marathon would let me finish in a six hour time! It was difficult for me to attain that speed walking, hard to imagine maintaining it for six hours!

After a bit of rest I went out again for a short run. Did well the first mile with a 10:51 split, which is fast for me right now. Hopefully I can work on getting a bit faster and being able to keep the pace for longer distances. Did a bit over 3 miles.
              Fall grasses and trees

Green field with flowers

Art in AZ

Another 4.4 miles with exercise Wednesday morning. Pretty much a repeat of Tuesday. Quick garden check and everything looks good. Thinned out the onions and carrots.

Altair - An early Christmas gift from work. Put it to good use. It's nice to see the exercise stations but I wouldn't expect many cyclists to be stopping and using them. Walkers on the other hand would find them convenient doing their outing. Enjoy the nice weather while you can. We all know what's coming.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Since M2M I've been pretty low on mileage, but legs felt pretty peppy for my 3 miles this morning, at 45F.

I'll do some catch-up here now.

Altair - I've got the perfect picture for your cat dreams. It might give you and others new cat dreams:

Looks like your Strava graph matches the Garmin graph pretty closely. You know, here on RA you can select how much smoothing to apply on your charts.  Good you got your dental work done, though it takes something out of you for a while.  We have a park in town that has exercise stations. I wish it were closer to my home so I could run it every day and work on my upper body more, with pull-ups. I did a lot better a few years ago, when I had a gym membership.  I don't know what hunt races are, but they might have been fun to watch.  Glad you got your long-overdue overtime check. Buy something nice for yourself.

Art - My company did an email migration from Lotus Notes to Outlook like, 15 years ago. Still using Notes for a bunch of other things, but starting the process of archiving all the engineering documents to pdfs as they move to a new PDM.  (Others - I apologize for the shop talk.)

Az - Congrats on the Soulstice!!  Great time on 11 miles with a blister and other problems!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - You're doing good as usual. I don't really see anyone using the exercise stations. Fall can have the best running weather, but the transition to freezing cold can happen quick!

Led - low miles make for good recovery. Nice cat picture! No more cat dreams, but yesterday deer resting in yard all stood up on alert  and were staring at something, we waited to see the source of their concern, a bear, a coyote? Soon a white cat sauntered by! RA has no pace graphs as far as I know, did you mean Garmin? I suppose if I increased the smoothing it would match the Strava graph better. Dental work is not quite done, have two appointments next week! Hunt races are like ones where horses jump over fences and across streams, a Steeplechase is an example. Never went to one, but have seen the horses do go down Main St. during race morning to drink at the bear fountain.

I was looking at my summary and it seems that last Wednesday's run put me over a thousand running miles for the year! Took me longer than Led to reach that, but things happened.

Partly cloudy and  54 degrees at 11 am when I left for my run. Funny to see people in heavy jackets, I wore shorts and a cotton tee. Run included exercises in park. Jogged from station to station. Not much progress, but was able to increase the one where I lift my weight by extending up my arms, before I could do only 3, but today I did 5! My run also included strides. My first attempt to accelerate to a 7mm pace failed, only got to 8:40. On my way back on a slight downhill I tried again and achieved a 6:25mm pace! I only was that fast for a moment and the GPS pace for such a short distance is questionable. Still, it may be fun to see what the Garmin records as my fastest pace. In the last mile of my run a man called me over and said he's been watching me run past his house for years. He gave me advice, said I look down too much and keeping my head up would give better running form. He said I take short steps and thought I should do "skips" at the start of my run, where I step lifting my knees up high. Turns out he is a running coach and recognized me from when I went to school here in the early seventies! He used to play Lacrosse with some of my friends. Temperatures got up to 60 degrees shortly after I returned home. These are ideal temperatures for running!

Here is part of the slope at the edge of the yard I'm building up. Earlier this summer I showed where I had piled logs cut from limbs and branches here. You can see where I cover those with twigs and in the center grass clippings and leaves. The aim is instead of a steep drop-off to the wood to eventually have a grassy slope.

Some more of the exercise stations in the park. Been using this balance bar, walk across several times. Trick is to maintain center of balance over bar and keep ankles firmly steady.

Here is where I rest my forearms and hold onto handles and try to lift my legs up. I still can only lift then a little partway. There are several exercises you can do at this station, but what the white bar in front with the black roller or the round metal stool are for I don't know! 

I assume these dried cornfields will be harvested to feed cattle

This view of Route 390  from an overpass shows fall trees

Silhouettes of trees against the clouds and sky

Hello everyone  

Just wanted to check in. I returned from my Grand Canyon camp/hike yesterday afternoon.
                      And, went for a short 4.5 miles with Mr Bones. 
                      Felt good to loosen up the body from driving. 
                      Will post more later. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I did 2 with the dog and 6 solo this morning. I think that's an appropriate amount, considering my HM is a week out.  Temps in the 40s and 50s this morning.

Altair: Here's the RA pace graph (today's run). In the upper right where it says Average __ data points, it seems to default to 15. Change that to 100 and I think the graph is more useful.  And I think Garmin's instantaneous pace on my watch at least, is useless.  I think you are on the right track with your pushing your pace periodically. You probably didn't know how to take it when that guy started telling you how you should be running.  Hope he didn't come off as arrogant or anything. Maybe his pointers will be helpful.  That exercise equipment looks interesting.  It's newer and in better shape than the stations where I sometimes run.  I think we're getting a new set soon in another park in town.  Congrats on getting over 1000!  Let's see, I'm over 1100.  You and I might get 1400+ for the year.  Pretty pictures!

Az  - Hi!!

Others - Hi to you all as well!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Az - Welcome back! I'm sure you had a great time in the Grand Canyon, how about you post some photos?

Led - Your races seem to be every few weeks! Well, good way to keep in good running shape! The park equipement is years old and some of it has been removed, for instance, there were bars close to the ground to use for push-ups that are gone, maybe a tripping hazard? I'm sure you will surpass 1400 miles for 2022, but, unless I drastically up my game, I expect only to surpass 1150 miles.

A lot for me to analyse regarding your other comments. I don't mind getting advice, but ultimately I do things my own way. I looked the fellow up online and he is a running coach at RIT. I think his comments on lifting the knees and upright posture are suited for racing short distances, but maybe not best for me in preparing for a marathon. The best form for running seems a manner of controversy, but looked at this post on Facebook just yesterday which to reduce injuries advocates using short strides and faster cadence to increase pace and also recommends  slightly forward lean.

Now I do think I tend to lean over too far, but, particularly on sidewalks or rough trails, I have to look for tripping hazards. The coach said I should look look for them ahead, but sometimes you have to be close to see them. I think for long distance race the form should be as energy efficient and low stress as possible. So I will get to like a 180 cadence at my fastest and land almost flat on my feet to reduce stress. That said, I do find myself lifting the knees higher and increasing my stride length as I attempt the faster paces. I do agree with Led that it is beneficial to vary your pace because if you run at the same speed you adapt to run easy at that pace, but the body has to work more if you mix it up. I think my limitations on pace right now have more to do with endurance and muscle strength rather than cardio since I don't feel out of breath on these short fast distances.

I did find the pace graph and even a run map when I looked at my workout data, never noticed I had those at RA! Interesting to control the data point averaging! I think Strava and Garmin let you do this, but it is easy to click a button to modify on RA! The graph does get smoother with less spikes as you average more points! The graph for averaging just one point gave Led a sub-4 pace at one point! Not too sure of that accuracy, but for fun I will continue to count the fastest pace on my strides as being somewhat useful!

Looking at the 1 data point graph it looks like a new point is made every 1/100th of a mile. In my strides I seem to maintain the fast pace for two data points, 1/50th of a mile. Looking it up I see a mile is 5280 feet and just remember "5 tomatoes" ( 5, two, m-eight, Os). So the distance I am at my fast pace is 1/50 of that, 105.6 feet. Now that is really too short to count, but many do intervals of 1/8 of a mile which would be 660 feet. I mentioned a flat area where the telephone poles are .05 (1/20th) of a mile apart, that's 264 feet and 660/264 = 2 1/2. So to do eighths of a mile intervals I would need to maintain the fast pace for two and a half telephone poles distance. I'll have to try and see if I can do this! Sorry, blame Led for making me do all this analysing!

Art in AZ

Thursday morning did 4.2 miles. Nothing special but felt good getting out.

Friday was a rest day because of early work.

Saturday morning got in 4.4 with exercises before doing some garden clean up before it started raining. Rained on and off through the afternoon. Rain cooled off the temps a little but the humidity went up.

Sunday morning did a 30.3 bike ride doing the Tempe Town Lake route. Turned out there was an Ironman going on so was able to see a little of that. It rained Saturday afternoon where it was a steady rain. Which was nice because it watered the garden pretty good and really cleaned up things by washing away all the dust.

So the rain Saturday night/Sunday morning wasn't really necessary. First because it woke us up. Second was it sounded like a really strong storm that lasted for a while. Third because it made a mess everywhere. It hailed during the storm because when I went out in the morning to check on things I saw a couple of spots where there were still small piles of hail. But what I also saw was that storm shredded the garden. I do mean shredded. The garden really took a beating. Leaves ripped from the plants, lots of leaves with holes in them and a few tomato plants that are just stalks. It will probably be a day or two before I have a good picture of how things will be.

Led - This last migration was the worst I have done. Too many issues trying to move people's email and data from Google to Microsoft. Thankfully it is finished now. Good that your legs felt peppy after the M2M and before your half.

Altair - That white arm with the bar is for exercising your legs. Put the bar in front and push your leg forward. Having the machines present allows you to try different movements to get a full body workout. Individual running stride is hard to determine by yourself unless you can have someone film you while running. Having that person comment on your running, to me, would be a benefit. That someone with some coaching experience actually called you over and offered his advice sounds like he wanted to help. Either that or he was lonely and wanted someone to talk to for a while.  My thought is if I feel good running and nothing hurts it must be OK. If I start to feel something then I think my body is trying to tell me something.

AZ - Looking forward to hearing about the Grand Canyon trip.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

dhuffman63

Trails

I've not been doing much of anything.  I am on the list now for a deceased donor kidney.  My brother did not pass the test in order to donate to me.  He feels awful about that but I knew it was a long shot and I'm not upset about it.  It's a big choice to make to donate an organ and it's not something I would have asked him or really anyone for.  I'll provide information about being a living donor and risks that may be there but I'm also willing to wait for a deceased donor to come along.  If I have to do dialysis in the meantime then that's what I'll do.  I want to live to see my granddaughter graduate HS at the least.  I'm going to visit next week and can't wait.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - Good runs and another impressive bike ride! Nice to see a little of an Ironman! A steady rain is good for the garden, but hail can destroy plants! I'm sure they will come back. You cleared up the mystery of what that bar was for, but don't think I need leg exercises. I think the coach called me over because it bothered him I was not running correctly. What I think is that by running distances we train ourselves to run with maximum efficiency. As I do faster runs my form will change to what seems easier to me. Still, I take any advice under consideration!

Di - Your brother deserves credit for trying to help. I hope you live to see GD graduate and more! We all have goals we want to do before the end. Enjoy life and have a good visit next week!

I've been working on the leaves every day, they are still falling, so it is an ongoing chore. The ones in my yard I go over with my lawnmower and have started a pile to use as mulch come spring. I also have raked up ones along the grass down the road in front of the woods. Those I am using to build up the slope between my yard and the woods. Weather has been in the mid to low fifties, but today it was 35 this morning and only warmed to 48 degrees. This weekend warmer temperatures in the low seventies are expected! Want to enjoy some long runs during that weather!

Saturday we were in Rochester most of the day. Did a short walk to the park after dinner and did some exercises before it got dark.

Sunday I did a run to the park and jogged around and did the exercise stations. I intended to run several more miles, but just felt very tired so just went around the block. About 2 3/4 miles total.

Monday I finally did the bike ride to the bank to deposit my check! Round trip was only a bit over 3 miles.

Tuesday I had a dental consultation in the morning. I have a crown which has to be removed and then she can do several fillings. Good news is none of the teeth will need to be extracted. Later I went on a short walk with GF, but she only wanted to do less than a mile.
                                At end of walk I took this photo of the orange leaves on this maple tree in my yard.

The forsythia bushes seem to produce a few flowers in the fall, although we think of them blooming yellow early in the spring.

Cloudy at 3 pm today and 48 degrees. My route had me speeding downhill 300 feet passing behind the college campus and then slowly climbing back up! Strava said I averaged a 9:13 pace on a quarter mile segment that was the steepest part of the downhill. I think the strides I've been doing have helped increase my pace, although I did feel some aches in my left calve muscles this week.
                                More than half finished with my run and going uphill through the campus I pass girls practicing field hockey

Took a break after steepest part of the hill to walk in the campus. Here is Sturges, one of the older buildings

And behind the building Ivy has grown over some windows, the ivy turns red in fall.

Looking down with the valley seen in the distance here is one of the dining halls

And this is one of the student residential buildings with a bright red bush in the foreground.