50 and over 5k and beyond

April showers lead to May flowers (Read 7 times)

Art in AZ

Sunday was a rest day because of rain. It was a steady drizzle until around 3:00 when it finally stopped. But I did a few weight exercises a couple of times throughout the day to compensate for no running/walking. Spent a little time in the garage doing a couple of small jobs. Made dinner and just relaxed.

Monday morning did a solo 5 miles with a few exercises. Damp and cool out. Based on the retention ponds it looks like we got a decent amount of rain. A garden check had the soil wet past a couple of inches. And some of the pepper seeds are finally starting to sprout. I need to transplant some tomato plants. One of the areas I use to compost in has several small tomato plants growing. So a lot of mystery as to what they could be.

Di - I'll write up the recipe and post it. Sounds like the 3 days of dialysis is the way to go. Even though it means an extra day of driving and treatment. Mmmm. Shrimp tacos. Or anything shrimp. I wanted to mention before that all Mexican food isn't spicy. It can be if you want it that way. My shrimp tacos don't have onions in them. The nice thing about tacos is you can make them with many different ingredients.

Altair - I think like most things if you talk to 10 people, you will get 10 different answers/suggestions. Not that any of them are wrong, just difference of opinions of what they think works. I think, my non-medical opinion, based on nothing but what I think, is that what worked when we were younger might not be the best for us later in life. But we don't realize that until someone points it out to us. In the end, we are all different in what would work for you might not be the best for me. It's great that the PT is giving you ideas and suggestions to improve and modify what you were doing before.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Here's the recipe for the lemon blueberry cake.

Figured this way everyone can copy it when they like. If you do make this all feedback is welcome. Like what you did different.

Lemon Blueberry pound cake

Ingredients

Streusel topping                                                                 Lemon icing

¼ cup all-purpose flour                                                           ½ cup confectioners sugar

2 tablespoons sugar                                                                 2 teaspoons (or more) fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons packed brown sugar                                ½ teaspoon light corn syrup

Large pinch of salt

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Cake

½ cup canola oil (or oil of your choice)

1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoon baking powder

¾ teaspoon kosher salt

3 large eggs

1 cup plain Greek yogurt

1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)

2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Nuts if you like

Directions – This is the order I use.

I take a fresh lemon and make the zest by scrapping the rind (skin) with a scraper. Depending on the size of the lemon will determine the amount of zest you get. You can always augment with lemon juice. Then I squeeze the lemon to get all the juice I can. This juice is used in the lemon icing. Sometimes I’ll take some of the lemon pulp and mash it up and add to the batter. Depends on how lemony you want the cake.

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees when ready. I turn the oven on after I have set out all the ingredients

Streusel

In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, brown sugar and salt. Pour melted butter over dry ingredients and stir until mixed together. Set aside.

Cake

1. Brush 9”x5” loaf pan with oil. Line with parchment paper leaving extra on the long sides to aid removal later.
      2. In medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. If you want nuts in your bread, add them also. Set aside.
      3. In a large bowl, mix eggs, yogurt, lemon zest, vanilla and oil until combined.
      4. Pour dry ingredients into egg mixture and mix until just combined.
      5. Add 1 ½ cups of blueberries and gently fold until mixed in.
      6. Pour combined batter into loaf pan and smooth the top. Evenly add remaining ½ cup of blueberries to the top and gently press into the batter.
      7. Add streusel topping over the batter.
      8. Bake cake in oven usually 1 hour and 15 – 20 minutes. If it starts darkening too soon cover with foil for the last 30 minutes. Normally done when the tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
      9. When done, place pan on wire rack and let cool about 10 minutes. Then grab parchment paper and gently pull up and place on a wire rack. Remove parchment paper and let cool some more.

Lemon icing

1. In a bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and corn syrup until smooth and pourable thick.
      2. Pour icing over cooled cake and let sit until icing sets. Anywhere from 15 – 30 minutes.
      3. Then enjoy.

Changes I made last time

The recipe above is as suggested. It originally didn’t include nuts.

For the streusel

I used just a pinch of salt. Next time I plan to eliminate it completely.

For the icing

I used honey instead. Didn't have any corn syrup.

For the cake

I used extra virgin olive oil as that was what I had on hand. I couldn’t tell or remember a difference when I used canola oil.

I used ¾ cup of sugar. Again couldn’t tell any difference.

Salt was just a large pinch of regular salt.

I didn’t have any plain Greek yogurt so I used sour cream instead. I thought it had a slightly different taste to it. In a good way.

I added all the blueberries at once. Just mixed them in slowly. The batter was thick enough I didn’t worry the blueberries would settle to the bottom.

I added about a ½ cup of chopped walnuts. Might add more next time. We liked the crunch and added flavor.

This freezes well. After it cooled completely, I cut it in half and froze half of it. After a week we took it out and had it for breakfast and tasted just as good when out of the oven.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - Thanks for starting April! Drizzly days are good for weight exercises indoor. The wet ground is good for the garden. Mystery volunteer plants are interesting. Conventional wisdom is to pull them up as they could carry disease, but sometimes I let them grow. I'll save the cake receipe and if I ever make it I'll send you feedback, sounds delish! You are right that what worked well when we were younger might not be so great now. It's a delicate balance between getting a good workout and injury.

I enjoyed Lasagna for Easter dinner and then we watched The Ten Commandments on TV. I recall seeing it in the theater a a kid. Ate a chocolate bunny for dessert.

Back to doing the run/walk today. Following the plan, warmup exercises and stretches, then walked to the nearby nature preserve, 3/4 of a mile away. On the grassy paths I did two minute runs times seven with one minute rest intervals. My walk back was longer because I became disoriented and took the wrong exit out of the preserve. So 1.2 miles of running with 4.59 miles total overall distance.
        The paths through the preserve are softer than running on the streets.

Paths went through the tall, golden grasses

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

dhuffman63

Trails

Surgery went well.  I can feel a "thrill" that's what they call the vibration which means it's working. Better than the non working fistula.  I have a scar from that on at my elbow crease that will never go away. It's rather ugly but I call it a battle scar. I also gave my doc an earful about this before surgery which may not have been a good idea . It hurt for two days but is a lot better today. No more pain pills, only Tylenol now.

Art, thank you for the recipe.  I printed it out so I can add it to my collection from on line.  I did get a copy of the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook.  I used to have one but gave it to DD when she moved and I miss the recipes. That's where the banana bread I used to make is there.  DH went to the grocery and got me a lot of bananas now I have to wait for them to get really ripe.

Altair I think when we are younger since we bounce back from injuries and illness we tend to believe it'll always be that way and then BAM we hit middle age and find we don't quite. That goes to diet and no exercise at all.  People think they'll live forever. I've seen people ask all sorts of things on the internet when going to a doctor, as poorly as I think of them, would have been a better option.

I know the elite runners, run, but there's nothing wrong with a run/walk if it keeps you out there like you want to be. I still don't have my TM put together, something I need DH to do, so I'm stuck walking around in the house.  I'm back to being steady after the surgery so now I get up and walk around every 50 minutes.

Art in AZ

Tuesday morning did 4.6 miles solo with exercises. Was cloudy out but no more rain. At least for a while. They are talking about another storm system for this weekend.

Wednesday morning back to the 1.2 mile warmup walk wife and then 3.4 for me with a few exercises. Waiting for the phone company tech to get here to look at the phone line again. Or should I say for the sixth time. The line keeps going dead with no dial tone. Luckily we have cell phones that we use most of the time. The landline is mostly used for when we want to set appointments. The lines somewhere between the house and the central office are old and get corroded. So they have to try and find a clean pair to use each time. I'm ready to ditch the landline but wife wants to keep it.

Altair - Running on soggy ground does feel better. Absorbs the shock nicer than pavement. The mystery plants are tomato plants. Since I throw most of what's in the garden into the compost area, I'm not sure which of the tomato plants these seeds could be. Might be cherry, Cherokee, big boy or roma. I'll transplant some and see what I end up worth.

Di - Great news that the surgery went well. Wife makes banana bread once in a while. She has to plan for it as bananas usually don't last too long around here.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Di - Glad the surgery went well and dialysis will be easier with the working fistula. Scars can be ugly, but at least you're surviving. I have a lot of recipe books, I should start trying some of them out. I'd like to make some Indian and Chinese food. I know running gets more difficult as we age, more recovery time, slower speeds and greater risk of injury. On the other hand, I know my fitness goes down quickly when I stop exercising. Many runners use the Galloway method and the claim is made that their overall pace is improved by having recovery walks.

Tuesday, another walk to and around the park. It was 48 degrees and lightly raining, did 1 1/2 miles.

Thought this photo of the reflections off the tennis courts in the park shows how wet it was from the light rain

Physical therapy session today. I discussed with PT about doing the May half using a run/walk. She said I could try it, with a good amount of walking I should be able to finish, but if knees start to hurt I'll have stop. She told me to increase my running to 7x3 minutes with minute recovery walks between. After the PT exercises ‪I used the treadmill, since it's raining outside. I did 4 x 2 minute runs and 4x3 minute runs, with warm up, recovery and cooldown walks. Did two miles total with about 20 minutes of running and 20 of walking. Slowly getting back to being able to run, but miss doing the long distances.

Hi everyone! I'm still around. Busy with family regarding my mom. And, trying to get some good training runs in. May 10th Elden Crest 38 is getting closer and closer. Been reading your posts.

Di: Such GREAT news that surgery was successful, and you're already feeling better. I have scars on my legs mostly ...... but I'm not vain enough to cover them up, LOL!! When I say it's from running trails, people get it ......and become curious for stories, haha!! I had a nervous chuckle about you giving a lecture to the surgeon BEFORE surgery: I'm sure you aren't the first or last one. It's really wonderful that you are having better days. Yes, get DH to put the TM together. That will be a huge change from your basement, right. Eat lots of banana bread to gain the needed weight too.

Art: it snowed againj!! We need the moisture for sure but it really messes up my trail running days ....... oh well, spring is poking around the corner. As usual, your consistency is still on track ...... yay!! Keep is up!

Led:  yep, that's what you get for enjoying the view for sure!! I'm use to it though ....... then just work through the healing stages. Hey, any plans on running a race in AZ or maybe southern CO??

Altair: I agree with Art ...... and it takes patience to come back from injury and incorporating different ways to get back to running. Every body has its limits but also our body can bounce back if given proper and guided methods. Ways to recover from injury has come a LONG way ....... but I sense some reluctance to try new methods. I've never believed in 'no pain, no gain' ...... it's so archaic IMO. I, for one, believe in the 'claim' of the Galloway method ........ it's just a start. Once your knee can handle longer runs, you don't have to take walk breaks. Stay present and work towards your goal. Glad the PT gave you the go-ahead for the HM. Just run your own run (and walk). Your knee will thank you post-race.

Irishguy:  hope you are doing well.

Last run posted was March 23, Saturday with the trail running group.

March 24: it SNOWED!!

Mar 25: Drove to wellness center, massage, then 6.2 miles on TM, then super circuit class.

Mar 26:  another light snow day, mostly flurries which melted quickly once sun appeared.

Mar 27: drove to TH with Mr Bones; finished 8.5 miles with up and down hills, whew!!

Mar 28: wellness center, massage, 4.2 interval miles on TM, then TRX yoga class.

Mar 29:  DH and I had our taxes done. Always a relief! Had to pay....... expected it.... but we also have lunch after "a tradition" according to DH, haha!

Mar 30:  last group run in Sedona, finished 7.5 miles. It felt like summer compared to leaving my home and it's still not even 40 degrees. Starting April, group runs will be here in the north country and Sedona group will be coming up.

Mar 31:  It SNOWED again! Only 5 inches in our area but the mountains were covered with snow, fog and wind. BRRR!

April 1: on and off snow flurries, sleet and rain. But I drove to wellness center before the weather got worse. Massage, then 4.2 intervals, Super Circuit class.

April 3 (today): couple of zoom meetings this morning. Planning on trail run in a few minutes, Mr Bones needs the exercise, he's getting lazy, LOL! 
                  Update: finished 5.5 miles and wind started to pick up. Ran up and down east side of hill to avoid west side wind. Sunny though, and warm. Good run 

dhuffman63

Trails

Hi AZ nice to "see" you . You've been getting a lot of snow. But you are still getting in the exercises, good for you. Does Bones like the snow? The few times we had snow my dogs still went out and plowed through it.

I'm having a heck of a time renewing a prescription. Pharmacy won't do it without the doc's approval. So I called the doc's office and was told the dialysis center does that.  Called them and they said call your cardiologist. I do not have a cardiologist. My kidney doc is the one who prescribed it in the first place.  It's for cholesterol which has tested great lately.  I've been going round and round with doctors lately and it really sucks.

AZ the surgeon seemed to take my "demands" well but I was serious.  I do not want any surgery on my right arm as that's the only one they can do BP and lab work at the hospital or other places. Luckily this AVGraft seems to be working unlike the fistula he did. I was at a point that I'll keep the chest catheter or nothing. I'm tired of all these surgeries.

At work my group and payroll are supposed to do an "Eclipse Party" with pizza, fruit, veggies and viewing. I don't get my "return to work" until the 18th when I have my 2 week checkup.  I'm supposed to be able to drive next week but they don't like you there without the magic paperwork. So I'm working from home currently which is okay but I miss out on stuff. The dogs love me being home though.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm tapering again for another 10 mile race, the "Early Bird Run" in Omaha, 7:30 am Saturday. I'm gonna have to get up at 5:00 am to get there in time for packet pickup. The three spring races are pretty much the extent of my training plan for the half that will be May 5. I've been dealing with a chest cold the last 4 days, so hope it's pretty much cleared up by Saturday.

We had paella for our Easter dinner with the kids & grandkids. Lots of good seafood and flavorful rice.

Art - Thanks for the Lemon Cake recipe. Looks really good.

Altair - Are you buried in snow? Are you in the path of totality for the eclipse? Your PT is keeping you plenty busy! That should get you beyond your injuries and improve your running generally. Anxious to see your future postings about it. I think my feet stay pretty close to the ground, too, and I don't know if I can change it much. I don't have a lot of spring in my muscles anymore.

Di - Are you in the eclipse path? We aren't getting off our butts and driving 8 hours to view this one, but maybe we should. Scared me when you said they said you had had a stroke. Only after I re-read your post did I realize that wasn't what happened. So glad your new surgery seems to be successful. Hope that means easier times for you in the future. Getting the runaround from your doctors is the worst. Someone needs to take charge and get your prescription situation straightened out. We went through a period when most of DWs prescriptions were being sent to the wrong Walgreen's location, for no apparent reason. We told both locations they were messing up several times, but it kept happening.

AZ - You are so busy! Wow!  Rock those leg scars! They're conversation starters! Big grin  I can't say when or whether I'll get down to AZ to do a race. Seems what little travel we do involves meeting family somewhere. The Alaska trip was an exception.

dhuffman63

Trails

Good luck Led.  You did so well at the last I hope this is the same. I believe we are in 95% of the path.  Since I have to work from home until I get the "return to work" on the 18th I'm not doing anything but staying inside for it.

Altair were you affected by the heavy snow at all? The news said Maine and NH had quite a wallop.

Don't have much going on right now. I might try and make the banana muffins on Sunday to take to dialysis on Tues. I like to give the nurses/techs little treats to say thank you. I have two neighbors I'd like to take a banana bread to say Hi!  Depends on how my arm feels. Since the graft is in my upper arm from my elbow to armpit it's a little tender.

Doc said I should be able to drive in a week so maybe I can start driving myself to dialysis next week. It's nice being driven around and all but I do feel bad for DH having to leave work to pick me up at 10. I like being independent, I like doing what I want, when I want. I hate the 10 lb restriction and the fact that doing chores is difficult. I feel like I'm a burden sometimes.

DH's sister and husband are coming to visit on the 15th and plan on staying in the guest room. Not sure what they plan to do around here...maybe go to some casinos...there are plenty. I have to work...trying to save my PTO days...and/or go to dialysis.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Reports of some of the things happening in this area:

At 10:23 AM today, there was an 4.8 magnitude earthquake in New Jersey, about 40 miles west of New York City. It rattled NYC and could be felt in Boston and Baltimore. I don't know if it was really noticable here in the Northwestern part of NY state. The epicenter was close to where irishguy lives, maybe he will post about what he experienced.

As far as the heavy snowfall goes, we did not get a lot. The ground was warm and wet enough to melt most of it, so just patches of snow on the grass, but I saw snow on branches of the trees this morning. Railing of the deck looked to have about two inches. As of noontime it all seems to have melted away.

Geneseo, Buffalo and Rochester are all in the path of totality for the eclipse. Emergency preparations are being made to handle the crowds of people flocking to the area to view the eclipse. I am stocked up with groceries and filled my gas tank. l cancelled today's PT appointment and will not be going anywhere until after the week of the eclipse.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

AZ - Some nice trail runs, I really miss doing the longer runs, so I'm very jealous! Think we are getting tired of the snow and cold weather. It does require patience to come back and when you've done training the same way for years, it's hard to change your ways. I thought that doing a run/walk is kind of a cheat, I am reluctant to count the distance as a "run". I also question if you are serious about having a fast time if Galloway's method is the best choice. But no question that for a beginner or a person recovering it is probably the best choice. I'm certainly don't like to push into the pain zone, but can be hardheaded and stuborn sometimes, as I guess many long distance runners are. Hope your Mom is doing alright.

Di - Getting the run around with filling your prescription does suck. The Pharmacy should have contacted the kidney Doc who originally prescribed it for you. I don't blame you for wanting to have at least one arm without surgery. I have a swollen vein in the crook of my right arm and don't like to have a blood pressure cuff or get a needle on that arm. Good the dialysis is going well and you will be able to drive. Too bad you'll miss the eclipse party.

Led - Not sure if you or AZ do more races! The races are good training for a half. Hope the chest cold does not slow you down Saturday! I had to look up "paella", I don't eat chicken, but might like the shrimp version. Older runner like us often do not lift the knees up very high, but it is hard to change one's running form.

Thursday I did my walk to Highland Park, the nearby park I've been using a lot lately. It was damp and overcast, 44 degrees and I walked 1.6 miles.
                            Some of the sections of the paths were filled with water from the rains.

Today was time for another walk run, which I try to do every other day. After the warm up of stretches and marches that the PT wants me to do,  I walked to the park. It was overcast and windy, 38 degrees with some occasional wet snowflakes, then ran for threes minutes followed by a one minute recovery walk times 7. Total distance was over three miles. It is frustrating when I recall the long 8 mile runs that I used to enjoy. The various exercise and stretches are good for my legs, but not as much fun as just running.
                            Dark cloud over parking lot

dhuffman63

Trails

Altair it's not cheating if that's all you can do. I've tried several times and just can't run but seems the run/walk was doable. Not sure if I'll ever do a race again but I'm just taking each day as it comes. I wear 24/7 a silicone bracelet on my graft arm that reads "NO NEEDLES :: NO BP. On the other side it reads You are stronger than This. If you are ever unconscious this will keep them from using your enlarged vein. I had a different one from RoadID that had emergency info that I wore on my trail races as I went to them by myself.

If you want to use bananas and want them to be really ripe they take forever.  If you buy some to eat you get maybe 3 days before they turn brown. I have a bunch on the counter and I'm waiting to make the banana bread until they are really ripe so it tastes good.

As for the stupid refill situation I think I'm taking the two the nephrologist prescribed (ones I have arguments about) and having my PCP prescribe them. The admin at the dialysis center said they are the ones who do all my prescriptions now but not the cholesterol ones...said I should talk to my cardiologist. I don't have a cardiologist. Since my cholesterol has been great maybe I can stop taking them.

Art in AZ

Thursday morning just 1.2 miles because wife had early eye doctor appointment.

Friday was just me getting 4.8 miles. Weather was cooler before it turns colder later.

Saturday morning temps back in the mid 40s but was sunny so it felt nicer. Got in 5.3 miles. Going out for a family birthday lunch.

Altair - Even though we get older doesn't necessarily mean we have to accept the side effects. With the focus on doing things right and paying attention to our body we can still get great results. Consistency is what I read in an article about an older runner who still gets great times in his outings. The Galloway method has enough supporters that I wouldn't think of it as just for beginners. You're still running and competing in the race. I saw enough of them doing that during some of my races. Isn't the goal to finish the race? So what that you had to walk some of it. That just means that you keep working at it so the next one you can run all of it. Patience padawan. Endure we must. Hopefully the crazy weather goes away and we actually can enjoy spring weather.

Di - If its not one thing it's another. You have to wonder sometimes why something that should be simple gets messed up so bad.

AZ - The state has been getting different weather the past few years. At the beginning of the year they were predicting this kind of weather because of the El Nino weather pattern over in the Pacific Ocean. Looks like they got in correct this time. All of us have certainly benefited from the extra moisture. Those these cooler temps right now could be warmer.

Led - Good luck today with your 10 mile race. Good practice run for your half.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ