50 and over 5k and beyond

Spring into April (Read 11 times)

"I thought planning to do an ultra was bad but this is ridiculous. I can't wait for a transplant."

Di:  oh my goodness!! That takes a tremendous amount of planning and coordinating time. Totally get the ultra planning difference. At least, with ultras, if you forget something, you could most likely buy it along the way.  Is there a clinic/hospital nearby your mom's just in case?  I'm sure you discussed it with your doctor. Regardless, it's great that you are not just staying home because of it. I know you have always looked forward to these visits and just taking some time away from work. You deserve it. Enjoy!!

Monday:  ran 8.2 miles.

Wed: 3 miles, then a step class. I was exhausted from who knows what?!? Maybe due to the weather. We had some snow flurries which melted by noon but the mountains got alot. It's really a gorgeous view from our front door.

Thurs: Took Bones with me and we finished a sluggish 8.1 miles on a trail which included Fat Man's Loop. Some portions of snow, slush and mud but mostly it was damp/dry. Only came across 5 hikers. A couple from Oregon who I had to help over some slippery snow areas along a ridge.

Today: rest.

Tomorrow: planning on meeting with the group to run near Sedona.

In the meantime, got our taxes done. Return on Federal but payment to State. Evened it out so not too bad.

I decided to paint the master bedroom and bath after all. It'll look better with fresh paint that will lighten up the rooms.

DH is hauling in dirt and leveling it with a tractor for a better foundation for his man garage.

The temps have been in the 40s but it gets pretty chilly when the wind picks up ....... which the snow contributes to. But we are getting more 'Spring-like' days however slowly. I can't wait to fully run on trails again.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Saw this interesting fact, the words "garden" and "yard" derive from the same root!

AZ - The doctor acknowledged that I've done a lot for my health, but I may need to do more! I think it will help as I start to increase miles over the summer. I'm not a vegan since I have some dairy, eggs and sea food, but I can make further improvements in my diet. I'm thinking there must be plant based statins that don't have as bad side effects.

Colder today, 41 degrees and windy, but mostly sunny! I went for a walk down to the Geneseo college campus. It's been a while since I walked around the paths and I saw many new buildings. There used to be a 5K that took place on the campus paths, but I don't think they run that race anymore. After walking campus paths I stopped at the Main St. book store and talked with some of my old friends. I told them I had surgery and was walking for a while until I can run again. FM, the bookstore owner, had his whole prostate and bladder removed a few years ago, but still plays tennis regularly. He thought it good that I went right back to exercising and mentioned that him and I are about the only ones of our age who remain atheletic. He does not count our friends who walk or hike, although I said that walking is a good exercise. My other friend, BC, who owned a spa and now lives in a mansion, does not understand the whole exercise thing, thinks it's too much work. I then finished walking back to my house, 4 miles total.
        Pictures of one of the fields my friends used to play sports on. The orange off at the far end of the field is a track, sometime I'd like to try running on it.

The student Union

One of the older buildings with some ivy covering and a vintage looking clock

The college green with the new science building in back

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

"After walking campus paths I stopped at the Main St. book store and talked with some of my old friends. I told them I had surgery and was walking for a while until I can run again. FM, the bookstore owner, had his whole prostate and bladder removed a few years ago, but still plays tennis regularly. He thought it good that I went right back to exercising and mentioned that him and I are about the only ones of our age who remain atheletic. He does not count our friends who walk or hike, although I said that walking is a good exercise. My other friend, BC, who owned a spa and now lives in a mansion, does not understand the whole exercise thing, thinks it's too much work. I then finished walking back to my house, 4 miles total."

Altair: very nice looking college campus  Sounds like a good visit with some old friends. It's funny how some friends will just dismiss running and others just shake their heads but a few will actually be happy for you even though they might not be runners but understand the importance of exercise. I really don't have too many 'friends' ....... I find most ppl boring, not interesting, and colorless and dull. Yes, I'm being judgmental. It's a chore trying to have a conversation with them because I don't have much in common with them .....anymore. They like to eat out, watch a movie and go to Wal-mart to visit family and friends. LOL!!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

AZ - I'm surprized you say you're not a people person, you seem to make a lot of friends on your runs! I like to eat at restaurants, watch movies and talk with friends at Walmart, but also have interests shared by few. I only know a couple of runners, and most of them not very well. It would be nice to have friends to run with.

A cold 27 degrees when I got up early this morning! It was sunny and warmed to 43 degrees by 1:30 when I did a 4 mile walk. My pace seems to be improving!
            Miles 2 and 3 were walking down this road to this 390 overpass and back

Stream and shack

Altair5

Runs in the rain

HAPPY EASTER!
              Daffodils are now blooming!

A carpet of star flowers!

Sunny today and 50 degrees. I did two walks, one with GF around the block of a mile and a half and soon after a solo walk to the High School and back, this time three and a half miles. Enjoyed the bird songs and warm sun!
              High School track, go Blue Devils!

Art in AZ

Thursday morning did 4.5 miles. Hopefully last day for sweats and long sleeve shirt.

Friday did 4.7 miles with exercises. Sunny, warmer and back to shorts and t-shirt.

Saturday did 5 miles with exercises again. Sunny and few degrees warmer. Later rode the bike to the store so 4.5 miles there.

Sunday was a glorious day for a bike ride. Ended up with 36 miles. Went from Mesa to Tempe Town lake and then into Scottsdale before turning around and heading back. Saw a lot of families out in the Scottsdale parks setting up for their Easter cookouts. Perfect day to be outside.

Di - I think we forget how much it takes to plan a trip with something like your current situation. A lot we sometimes take for granted. Good that you are going to visit family and have some time off from work.

AZ - Hopefully we are now into that time of year when the weather is great so we can spend a lot of time outside. I see your bedroom remodel had another 'just one more thing'. The Arizona room here has me thinking it's time to do some remodeling there. Trying to decided what else I could do with a couple of walls instead of drywall.

Altair - Sounds like your recovery is going well. Now you need to wait for the next test result to see if you need to do anything further. Interesting that garden and yard derive from the same word. Just shows how languages change over the years. Same thing here with peoples attitude to exercise. They either get it or they don't. Even with the results in front of them.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

dhuffman63

Trails

Well made it back into the office.  Rough start though, forgot to brush teeth, forgot hearing aids, low tire warning.  My mouse at work was dead but IT didn't come in until after 8 so I had to use the pad to do anything.

On the plus side, I ordered a case to carry my cycler (for travel) and it shipped, should be here on the 12th. I see my kidney doc and the PD nurse on the 19th and she should have a packing list for my trip to my mom's.  I think this time since I'll be doing manuals I'll need to check a bag.  So I got some airpods so I can track my luggage.

AZ, that's one of the things my PD nurse is coordinating and will give me contact info.  Course I'm impatient and don't want to wait til the 19th but I've bugged her enough with other stuff.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - 36 miles is a nice long bike ride, great to do on a beautiful Easter day! Lots of families go to the parks when spring warms up!

Di - Rough start, but you will get it together for the office work. Same with the supplies for your dialysis on your trip and visit, you are right on top of things!

It was sunny and 63 degrees at 2:23 pm and I walked for 4.4 miles.
                    Here is a hill I climbed

Mostly residential with houses on this road, but found this view.

On the way back, the hill from the other direction!

Di: it’s nice that you have such good support from your nurse. Smart idea to have tracking pods in your situation. Hey, do you get to board first? 
                      What a bummer start for your work day. Forgot to brush teeth?!? But you did at work, right?? 
                      I’m sure you can’t wait for your trip.

Altair: nice walks each day. Nice colorful photos.
                        It’s a good thing we have running in common. Those are the ppl I tend to meet. I wouldn’t say ‘friends,’ just running buddies. I don’t go to movies, prefer to eat at home, DH does all the shopping. I’m still wearing a mask when I have to go indoors. It’s a great excuse to avoid people 

Art: We are finally getting spring/summer weather up here. You’ve been consistent with getting great daily runs and/or biking. Is the canal path paved? I remember it not paved but mostly hard packed dirt/gravel. Are you seeing any benefits from the exercises when you run?

Friday and Saturday, I took rest days. So didn’t join the group run in Sedona. Just didn’t feel like going there again. 
                            Sunday: 12.2 miles w Bones. Drove to different trail that has 3 loops which can get you about 11 miles if you stay on them but I took some out and back trails. It was very warm but that was intentional. My upcoming trail race on Sunday is predicted to be in the high 60s and 70s. I was very happy with my run. Hydration was perfect. Got to trail early afternoon so the early birds already left. Still a good number of hikers and mountain bikers but was alone most of the run. YAY!! 
                            Monday: nice quiet 6 mile run on a different trail with Bones. Beautiful sunny day. Then, finished painting the bedroom and bathroom and doors. It looks really nice, with lighter shade which really brings out the new wood flooring, and stained wood door frames. I’m thinking I’ll paint a couple more walls in the front room as well. I actually enjoy painting. DH is glad b/c he doesn’t. He made some space with his tractor to build a greenhouse ….. or a bigger garden. His ‘terrace’ foundation for his man garage looks very nice too.

dhuffman63

Trails

AZ since I paid for first class, yes I get to board first but I'd get to through the medical disability.  I hate sitting in main cabin so I just sucked up the cost for first class.  Yes, my nurse is great.  I bought her a gift card to show my appreciation.  There's always someone available when I call so I try and only do so with things I can't handle myself.  Since I see my kidney doc every month now I write down questions to bring with me but if it's truly important I call.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

First a correction, on the 7th I said the temperature was near 90, should have written near 80. I went back and edited the post.

Az - Good to run on quiet trails on nice sunny days! Your home renovations are coming along nicely! It is easier to talk with people who share common interests, but I enjoy most people! Then again, I spend much of my time involved in my own pursuits. I haven't been to a movie theatre in a long time but like to watch my DVDs. Just watched an adaptation of Dicken's Nicolaus Nickleby.

Decided on a shorter walk today, just three miles. It was sunny when I started a 2 pm, but very windy and there were open fields all around me. It was near 70 degrees, so did not feel cold in shorts and tee shirt, the wind felt refreshing. The road I was on did have heavy truck traffic, but the shoulders were wide. Midway on the walk my surgeon called, but he could not hear with the wind and traffic. I'll have to call him tomorrow; I have some concerns. By the turnaround at 1.5 miles it had become overcast, but still was warm. The warming trend will continue this week, upper 70s on Friday, but Sunday will be colder and maybe wet snow coming next Tuesday.
                                Walk began by crossing the bridge over the Genesee river.

Some of the trees in the big fields

They were spreading manure at the turnaround point! Here a tanker is loading up the spreader.

Although it has been drying out the past few days there are still puddles out in the fields

Furrows