50 and over 5k and beyond

May - meandering trails and country roads (Read 8 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

A couple of things I forgot to mention! Last Friday, May 12, was my sister's 70th Birthday! Saturday, she ran her first half, the New River Marathon in NC. I'm proud of her accomplishment and wish I had been ready to run it with her!

On Wednesday's run on River Road I saw several orange and black orioles! I rarely see these birds. I have thought about putting a half orange outside to attract them to feed.

Today it was 70 degrees and mostly sunny at 11 am and I did a 3.45 mile run. Some breezes helped keep it cool.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

Getting in the usual during the week.

Friday morning was another 4.4 miles with exercises. After the windy night we had did a little cleaning around the house. Chance of high winds and rain tonight so didn't bother with spending too much time cleaning. Checked the garden and several tomato plants have tomatoes growing. No red ones yet. I have cherry, roma, beefsteak and Cherokee Purple. Also several pepper plants have fruit. I have already picked some banana peppers. Pretty soon I'll have Anaheim and jalapeno peppers. The bell peppers seem to be slow. Some of the butternut squash are going good but the Kabocha seem to be slowly growing. One type of watermelon is starting to fruit while the other seems to be just sitting there.

AZ - Glad you enjoyed your Grand Canyon trip. We get a lot of people not prepared hiking down here. Even with a lot of signs telling them they need to bring lots of water, people think they know better. Until they get rescued and carried out.

Altair - Nice pictures again. Good for your sister. That was some weather you experienced there. Also, good news from the doctor visit. Yes, it it getting to that time of the year again. Mornings aren't too bad right now. Temps are around the mid 70s so starting to work up a sweat now. The city finally fixed the water fountain at the bike stop. So I can get a quick drink on the way home.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Saturday morning was nice out so I did 6.3 miles. Car needed a wash so I did that and then cleared the headlight covers as they were starting to cloud over a little. Then the usual stuff around the house.

Sunday morning went for a bike ride. Started on one of my usual routes but when I got to end of the canal I decided to go left and see what was out that way. Went by 2 recreation areas along the river before deciding to turn around and head back. Good bike ride as that area had several up and downs making me work a little more. Warm out but a little breezy so not too bad.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Sunday's noon walk was 12 miles along the northernmost sections of the Greenway Trail. It was sunny and 70 degrees. I had taken like 35 photos, but I'm only posting a few of the better ones here! Here is a map of my walk:

I parked in the Genesee Valley Park ( marked with a red dot) and followed the Greenway Trail south. The trail splits where it goes under a bypass, the Greenway is the trail to the right.

The Goodyear Blimp passed overhead just above the treetops on it's way to the PGA golf tournament! But my camera batteries were low and I had to change them missing the photo op. I walked this trail section for 2 1/2 miles. I then crossed over Scottsville road with the intent to follow a path down Scottsville Road to the other section of the Greenway Trail, but had an adventure, I mistakenly missed a turn at end of mile 3 and began walking these abandoned spur line tracks until it became impassable.

I cut over to some other tracks that were more along a clearing and followed them west starting with a rough area with puddles of discolored water and piles of junk.

Some graffiti on the cars, but nothing compared artistically to what I used to see on New York City trains!

I thought I saw the trail at end of mile 4 and followed a path through the woods a short distance before it ended at Black Creek. No bridge so I turned back.

Retracing my steps I continued west and then turned south following the tracks. At end of mile 5 I came out at a road and asked directions. I walked a short ways east on Ballantine Road and near the end of mile 6 found the Greenway Trail section and walked north. I had intended to walk several miles south on it as well, but because I had gotten lost decided it best to head back.

The trail went north along the Black Creek waterways before it ended at the railroad tracks.

Later, I saw on the map of my walk I had just missed the trail when I had followed the tracks west at mile 3 1/2! It was only a half mile east along the tracks to Scottsville road and I found the path back north by the side of that road. Luck had changed and I found a dirty twenty dollar bill sitting on the path! Around mile 7 1/3 I saw an entrance to Little Black Creek Park and when I entered realized this was the point where I had missed the turn earlier! I picked up the trail and retraced my walk, only just before the end of mile 9 I chose an alternative trail which had some nice views of the Genesee River.

Crossing a bridge over the Erie Canal and there is a view of another bridge and a boat.

When I reached the Genesee Valley park I saw I had only done ten miles because I did not do the whole planned route after I got lost! I've been increasing my long walk by a mile each week, so to reach my goal I walked the Riverway Trail along the west side of the Genesee River for a mile until I came to the Erie Lakawanna Bridge.

Here is the pedestrian path over the bridge to the eastern side of the river.

Followed the trail on the other side of the river, here the path runs between two huge fallen tree trunks!

After crossing the Waldo J. Nelson Bridge I was back where I started and had done my 12 miles! I still have over 4 miles left of the northern part of the Genesee Valley Greenway Trail to complete, just south of this walk. Maybe I'll do that walk next week. The southern part of the trail runs down to Pennsylvania, so I have distance yet to walk if I want to have done the entire trail!

dhuffman63

Trails

Well I made it back.  While it was great seeing my mom and brother, it was basically the trip from hell.  After getting up at 2 am for my 6 am flight from Tulsa is where it started.  TSA was interesting as I have a drink for dialysis called Nepro and I had one in my backpack.  TSA had a problem with it until I explained it was for dialysis.

Get to the flight and we all board and it appears there's a mechanical issue so they kicked everyone off.  When to the desk and after standing in what felt like a mile long line I got book on a new flight but not back in first class, no, now I'm in row 29 in a middle seat.  3 hour delay.  Get to Dallas and they had my wheelchair waiting.  They pushed me to the side and left me there.  I sat for about 10 min with no one coming by so I said screw it and walked to my connection...in a different terminal.  Luckily I had enough time.

I'll just say doing manual exchanges while traveling sucks.

Leaving Gulfport we all got on the plane and the AC wasn't working.  So an hour delay while they fixed it.  I did not have much time between flights and it was very anxious.  Landed and off at 6:10 and my connection was boarding at 6:09.  Luckily again the flights were 4 gates apart.  Made it in time and wasn't the last one on either.

I was so good to be home to all my own stuff.  I learned that traveling on dialysis is difficult at best if not downright impossible the way air travel is these days.

For our audits, we spend a week and drive there so I'm taking my cycler and made a better list of what to bring.  Again I know it'll be difficult but it'll show me whether or not traveling should be done.

Art in AZ

Monday morning did 4.4 miles with exercises so nothing special.

Tuesday morning did 4.2 miles with a walk/run session. Mostly run. Just getting out in the morning before I take on the rest of the day.

Altair - Nice long walk there even though it was a little mixed up. At least now you know where the turns are and what to expect. Based on your pictures that's a scenic walk. Even dirty it's still a twenty-dollar bill. Enough for some lunch money.

Di - After that trip I bet you're glad to be home. It isn't easy trying to depend on others when things start to go off track. I think driving should be easier after what you experienced.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

AZ - Glad you enjoyed your Grand Canyon trip. We get a lot of people not prepared hiking down here. Even with a lot of signs telling them they need to bring lots of water, people think they know better. Until they get rescued and carried out.

Art ……. and Altair: Yes, the GC hike is almost always not taken seriously with many. Physically, many can do it but only if they are smart in their abilities to make sure they are hydrated and eating properly. PM was an untra runner years ago and he still thinks he can take on brutal hikes with little effort and hydration. He’s hiked in other countries as well. He hiked a different trail that I thought was more difficult considering his condition. I’ve hiked that trail before. But he kept saying he’s done it before, blah, blah, etc. We didn’t think having a beer and then some wine helped with the hydration…… MM  finally talked him into drinking electrolytes. I found out later that his family struggles with depression and alcohol. 
                Anyway, just relieved he made it out safely.

Di: good lord!! What a nightmare. You made it through the whole mess though, YAY!! Glad your work doesn’t involve flying, right? The visit with your family went well so that’s the best part of the trip. Another year till the next one. You’ll have it down on auto mode.

Altair: very nice photos. The path between the tree looks (to me) intentional for an artistic purpose. And at least one lucky day for finding $20, wow!! Your walks sound more like exploring ….. and finding areas with additional history and leading you to new discoveries. That’s what I love about running trails. “Let’s see where this goes.” 
                    Congrats to your sister on running/finishing HM. It would have been amazing if you did the run with her but there are other races so …… 

Art: still staying pretty consistent on the daily runs. You’re better at it than I   I love all those tomatoes, yummy! And it seems your jalapeños are growing better there than in my garden. I know the temperature difference makes a huge impact. My summer squash are doing well. The recent rain sure keeps our area cool. 
                      Let me when/if you decide on a trail run up this way. 

Our MN/SD trip was long and tiring but my running buddy’s wedding was lovely and wonderful. Very small, close family and friends. Backyard reception. I was known as the “matchmaker” …… 

We drove through Led’s Lincoln NE. Mr Bones dreads these long road trips and didn’t want to leave the hotels, haha!!

My running buddy, CS and JM met at a trail race. I had been wanting to run a trail race in western North Dakota. I asked CS if she was available and we decided to camp and run. At our campsite, JM had his tent next to ours and we introduced ourselves and found out he was running the race as well. After the race, we had dinner and talked over a camp fire where I sneaked away to call my DH. And the rest is history. 
                        CS is actually who I called my “only friend on MN.” We have so much in common as far as our love for adventure in the outdoors and trail running. 
                        We left the next day to southern SD. DH hitched up the flatbed trailer with the ‘57 Buick Super. Hauled it all the way home to northern AZ. Loooooong drive but the weather was very cooperative, mostly cloudy with sporadic rain to and from our destination. 
                        I ran about 4 miles on hotel TMs. And ran 5 yesterday and planning on another today. 
                        On our way home, we picked up my mom in NM. She is visiting with us till Friday. 
                        Tomorrow, we are hauling our Harley bikes to Red River NM for a Bike Rally. Our husband/wife friends in Los Alamos will be joining us. 
                        June should be less busy……

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grand-canyon-hiker-woman-dead-rim-colorado-river-back-in-day/

Thought I share this with you all. Happens every year. Very sad. I know it's a risk on a one day down and up the GC but I'm overloaded on water/electrolytes/food compared to others ........ not just for me but just in case others are low ..... which has happened. Many don't keep up on the news about water ....... and if it's available at the 3 mile and 1.5 mile rest stops. They aren't right now. No matter how fit and conditioned one thinks he/she may be, the exertion on a very high temperature day in the GC can take a deadly toll on the body if you're not prepared.

I ended up NOT running today. Taking care of my mom (has early dementia), took her on a drive, and getting my harley bike ready, and packing, and making a healthy dinner took up most of my day. It's a windy day here but sunny and cool breeze. Lots of work/noise with dozers/loaders in the flood mitigation project around our neighborhood. Getting ready for the monsoon season.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Di - Airports have problems. Several time my luggage was misplaced, and They delivered it the next day. Once they told me I had missed my connection and to go rebook a flight. When I got to the desk they said my flight hadn't left yet and to hurry back to board. By the time I got back the plane had left and I had a 4 hour wait until the next flight! With driving to the airport and going through security for short flights the total time may not be much less than driving the distance! I have not flown since 2001. With medical issues and the equipment, you must have, the airport screwups become more serious. Glad you enjoyed seeing your mom and brother!

Art - Good consistency with your runs, walks and exercises. Getting lost is a good way to learn an area. A twenty used to be enough for several meals, but it doesn't go as far now! With the dirty bill I may have to do some money laundering!

AZ - Glad your trip was safe, and you enjoyed the wedding! Great you found a trail race to run with friends in ND. Have some quality time with your mom and enjoy the Bike Rally! I hope PM learned a lesson! A beer may be fun to have afterwards but would not choose to have it before a race or difficult hike, especially with having wine as well, from my experience I know it's not good to mix wine and beer! I don't know how hot the day got, but even a warm day can be brutal with heavy exercise. I had to look up the rim to river Grand Canyon hike. Nearly 17 miles with 4,800 feet of climbing! The temperature can reach 120 degrees! Said to be more difficult than running a marathon! Recommended to take two days to complete. I think I could tolerate the heat and distance, but all that climbing! Too bad people do not properly prepare, and some pay the ultimate price for their mistakes. I use the RA map feature to plan all my runs and hikes, but the maps don't show all the trails and paths! I did have to do some exploring, which can be both interesting and worrying.

Getting ready to plant my garden and I spent all Wednesday, from 9 am until 7 pm, with a couple hours break during an afternoon shower, plus Thursday morning working on it. The fencing had a hole which I repaired. Then the path between the raised bed was weeded and I did some work on the boards and bricks they rest on. Then I dug out the biggest weeds in the beds and turned the soil over with a spade. The beds were then covered with leaves and grass clippings I had saved as a mulch to prevent more weeds. Usually this task takes more time, but the soil was not too dry and hard or too wet and muddy.

Some plants already growing! The tall plants to the left are garlic. I planted the bulbs last fall. In back of those is lettuce, which came up on its own since I let a plant go to seed last summer. The yellow flowers are from kale which survived the winter and started regrowing, I'm going to let these go to seed and see if it produces more plants. In back of that are walking onions. The bulbs it produces are small, but it comes up every spring.

I purchased plants from the nursery yesterday! My favorite Brandywine tomatoes and Early Girls, King Arthur and Red bell peppers, yellow squash and zucchini, Bush Crop cucumbers, chives, English sage, curled parsley, regular basil and Thai basil, which has a licorice-clove flavor. I'll plant some beans when it gets warmer. However, we had a frost warning, and I was advised not to plant the seedlings until it warms up on Saturday. I brought the tray of seedlings indoors overnight.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Now for my activities this week!  I decided for now to decrease the distance of my walks and runs, except for the long walk, which I increase by a mile each week and the long run, which increases by half a mile each week. The others are kept short for recovery.

Monday was a recovery from the long walk, Sunny, 70 degrees and I did a 1.94 mile run.

Tuesday, with similar weather, was just a walk of 2.44 miles.

Wednesday was garden work.

Thursday, after some more garden tasks I did my long run with a lot of small hills and a 250 foot difference in elevation from low to high point. It was cooler, only 57 degrees, but sunny. Legs were still sore from my long walk Sunday and I found myself taking a brief pause to rest at the top of each hill. Good the high point was just before my turnaround, so second part of my run was largely downhill! I did my goal distance of 7 miles! Will go for 7 1/2 miles for next weeks, maybe on a less hilly course!

Worked on mowing the lawn today and then did a two mile walk. Sunny and 65 degrees out. Resumed cutting the grass after the walk, but handle of lawnmower broke and it's now held on by Gorilla Tape! I don't know if I can replace this, may look for a new lawnmower.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Did more mowing today, it seems it's almost time to start again by the time I finish the lawn! Put the clippings in my garden. Sun was hot today, but soil is moist under the mulch. In the evening I set the screen house up on the deck, keeps the bugs off and gives some shade, and we had like a picnic dinner outside. Listened to Spanish guitar played by Manuel Barrueco and then some Dave Brubeck live jazz combined with the sounds of the backyard birds!

I also did a run at 11 am. Sunny and 70 degrees. I did almost 3 miles.