50 and over 5k and beyond

December Runs and Workouts (Read 17 times)

justrundan

AZ-good luck with the race!  Can't wait to read the RR.

Ray- now that's wet!

NHRich- nice 5 miles outside.  I got 6.3, but nowhere near the pace you keep. 

Chantilly- nice double.

Deb- hope all is well, very busy time of year!

worked Saturday clinic till noon, then ran 6.3 on the riverwalk, 41 degrees and foggy/light mist.  Nice for a run.  Rest day tomorrow will just be 1-2 slow miles, prob on TM.

Dan

Chantilly75

NH Runner Have a merry Christmas party!

rmcj001 That's a good picture of the rain!  Take care of the knee. It was good to you this year.

justrundan Good distance out in the foggy/mist. Any ice on the river?

8 miles at 6 AM

4 miles at 11 AM with son.

5 minutes stationary bike

10 minutes weights

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

sluggo

John

Well done, Ray. Very nice pic.

CIM Race Report 12/7/2014

BQRay

John
        www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

sluggo

John

Hello all,

I can't keep up with your, it seems like daily, postings but I can at least say I do look once in a while and read (most of) what you post. As far as I can tell, you are all cooking!

Three runs so far this month. Missed the last down pour and the snow flurries.

Lots of time off after 12/18.

John

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Chantilly75

sluggo  Good that you are still getting out there. It takes awhile to make a habit stick.

7 miles. 

Saw "man with ponytail" at the track this morning. He's 60's, balding, with a wonderful grey ponytail entwined with a leather braid.  We always greet each other, but I don't know anything about him.  He runs about 30-40 minutes and does weights all winter.

Sonata Arctica

WDWRich

Hi All!

Went north to visit daughter and her family this weekend.  She and I went out for a 5-mile run yesterday morning.  She's been training a lot lately and has run several races of 10 miles or above recently as well.  I had to work hard to keep up with her, but I guess that's how it's supposed to be given that she's 30 years younger than me.

As Ray mentioned, more rain is coming in to CA the early part of the week.  I'm hopeful I can get in my training run tomorrow before it gets too bad.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

NH Runner

Monday, 12/15... took yesterday off due to a slight burning sensation at the back of my left heel.    Ran 7 miles on the highway today, cooled the last mile.... 9:23, 9:01, 8:50, 8:37, 8:35, 8:35 and 9:55.

Dan... 6.3 miles is a very good run, regardless of the pace.

Chantilly... time with family is always special, I had a great time at the party.    Your "man with a ponytail" reminded me a of a 60 something man I see at a lot of races.    He's got a ponytail as well and regardless of the weather, always races with no shirt on....lol  Nice mileage the last couple of days!

Sluggo... do whatever you can, your literally miles ahead of Couch Potatoes.

WDWRich... my kids have dabbled with running, but never to the point where we could go out for a 5 miler together.    That run with your daughter was special, congrats!

Fletch

Hello, friends. Finally finished all of my school work for the semester. I'm on winter break until January 12th. So I took a minute to catch up on the postings from the last couple weeks.

NHRich - Glad your form change is working out for you. You're really getting in some good miles. I've heard about the Covered Bridges HM. Sounds like a beautiful run!

WDWRich - We've been seeing the news reports about the flooding and mudslides in CA. Hope you missed the bad stuff. Very nice to be able to run with your daughter!

Chantilly - You are getting some good workouts - running and cross training. RE: "man with ponytail" - people-watching is one of the things I enjoy about running, especially in our little downtown area. I run through there sometimes, see someone interesting-looking, and will pre-occupy my mind for the next 15 minutes making up stories about them!

Sluggo - Keep it up. I second what NHRich said - you're "miles" ahead of the couch potatoes!

Dan - Hope you enjoyed the warmer weather in Florida. Nice job keeping the holiday streak going. The 6 miler on the riverwalk sounds like a nice run.

Ray - If you're a "tired old man," then that's what I want to be when I grow up! Enjoyed the RR. How did you make out in the final standings for the ZOOM series?

AZ - I hope things went well in Texas. Looking forward to the RR.

Things were really hectic over the last 10 days, but I somehow managed to keep the Holiday Streak intact. It has taken some effort. A couple days were 2 miles on the TM late at night, after I finished a school assignment. Finally had a break Friday and got out for a beautiful 7 mile run through horse country. At about mile 4, I took a break to step over to a pasture fence and "scratch a few horse ears." They seemed to enjoy the attention, and I enjoyed the break. Next time I do that run, I think I'll take a few apple slices for them.

Holiday Streak is now at 19 days. December mileage is at 50, with a goal of 105.

Run safe!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 12/16... met with the Tuesday Crew today, some to run the railtrail and myself and another guy to XC ski.   4 miles total, it's a great alternative to running.

Fletch... thanks!   You're doing well to keep the streak alive, good for you!

az... can't wait to hear how your marathon went...

rmcj001

Dan - nice 6.3!  Good to see you're using the TM and keeping the streak going!  Keep it up!

Chantilly - LOL!  You got some good miles in there.  Good Job!

Sluggo - Thanks!  Good to see you getting a couple more runs in and avoiding the bad weather!  Keep going, you're doing well!

WDRich - Gotta like the rain we've been getting!  Nice run with the DD, priceless!

NHRich - Good miles and x-training!  Keeping the fitness level up is important!

Fletch - Gotta feel good that classes are done.  Awesome job on you Holiday streak.  You and Dan are doing well on it.

Az - We're all waiting to hear that RR, hope everything is well.

Sunday, Woodside Ramble Half Marathon, took this more as a long run/tempo run.  Beautiful day for the race, low to mid 50s and clear skies.  Nice trail run with mostly up for first half of race and mostly down for last half (1/4?) Especially loved the smell of bay leaves on the trail was really, really cool.  Went up slowly, there was a fair amount of single track and at the beginning no one was passing.  Started in the back and around mile 1 sort of took off and started passing people.  Kept moving up slowly all the way up the mountain (hill really) and near the top it leveled out a bit and just kept pace with the runners in front of me.  Hit the turn around and was holding pace until near the aid station I could feel someone coming up on me.  They stopped at the aid station and I kept going.  Once we hit the downhill section I just opened it up a bit and passed everyone I could see (maybe 6) until just before the finish where there was bit of uphill and felt a bit tired.  Could see a guy ahead of me and was gaining a little, but finish came up sooner then I thought and wasn't enough time to run him down. No worries, we were chipped and turned out tho he beat me gun time by 10 seconds, I had lower net time.  2:05:10  and 3rd in AG.  DW came in at 2:19 and also 3rd in AG.

Monday URD, barely moved.  Tuesday - if I run will be TM, but maybe another URD.

Ray

Chantilly75

WDWRich It is nice to run with our kids, isn't it?  Hope the rain is just what you need for the plants, etc.

NH Runner You must have got enough snow for the skis to get out for 4 miles. How many miles is that rail trail?

rmcj001 Another good result for you!  Nice finish for your wife, also. Have a good rest.

Fletch_NC I used to love horses as a girl.  My friend had a couple on her farm. Good job keeping up the holiday streak.

9 miles at 5:30 AM

3 miles at 10 AM with son.

(for some reason, 23 yr.olds don't like to get up and run at 5 AM 

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 12/17... damp, raw day with on and off rain, but I got in a 5 miler on the road.... 9:23, 8:53, 8:36, 8:28 and eased up the last mile in 9:35.   The wet heavy air made it tough to breathe...

Ray... thanks!   I'm looking for a happy medium between training and rest days to get back into shape, but it seems like it's taking forever.   I dunno, maybe it's just the cold air and extra clothes this time of year that's making me work so hard...lol   A half marathon so soon after a full?   Wow!   Congrats to you and your wife!

Chantilly... the railtrail's 10 miles long.   I used to run a full length out and back while training for a marathon, but there are times when the deer flies can make that run a real adventure...lol  Your son's not a morning person, eh?   5:30 is a little early for a run. lol  I used to love going out the door for a 20 miler at 5 am, I'd get 3 miles out of town before the sun came up.    Another excellent training day for you, WTG!

rmcj001

Fletch - Forgot to say about Zoom - Don't know, for real - they haven't posted anything since Aug 31 on the series.  The one person I know who seems to track this seemed to think I did really well.  Of, course - he was hoping I got first, 'cuz that means I wouldn't get the age group award and he's in second .  He did mention the winner gets a jacket...

Chantilly - Funny how the kids never want to get up.  DS1 is going to try and get a bit serious and BQ - only has to run a 3:05!  I think he can do it, but it is going to take a lot of miles.  Nice double yesterday!

NHRich - Nice 5 miler!  Getting there.  I think our roles have reversed a bit since the first time we started conversing.  I think I was just about to do or had just finished my 2nd Half-Marathon and you were in the middle of your 70 mile weeks.  Lot of miles and pain since then, but we're both still going 

Tuesday night got 4.25 easy miles in on TM watching "Run Silent, Run Deep" - yes, Chantilly - watching old movies on B&W 17" tv with Mom, remember those days very well.  Miss them and her too...

Wednesday, easy 8 miler - well mostly, last mile was sub 8.  It's been raining quite a bit here and squeezed the run in inbetween rain showers.  Still lots of "large" puddles to avoid and paved trail blocked by same in several places.  Think they said on the news we're at 2x normal precipitation thus far.  Just needs to keep raining with the short pauses inbetween...

Ray

sluggo

John

Chantilly - don't give your 23 yr old flack about a 5 AM run. I gave those up years ago. I guess the 5 AM crew is still meeting on Tue & Thu.

Rich - it has been raining a lot in Salem, MA too. I find it odd that you can not easily breath in the rain. I don't like STARTING a in the rain but I like breathing the wet air.

Ray - how do you run a treadmill? I guess one can learn.

Ran 5K last night. I have not run that far since Nov 11, 2013!

John

WDWRich

Ray - That was a great time for a hilly HM.  Good work!

Sluggo - Glad to hear you're up to 5k.  It must feel rewarding to reach a milestone like that.

Fletch - The horses were a great reason for the stop on your 7 miler!

Chantilly - IKWYM about the younger folks not wanting to get up early for a run.  They just don't know what they're missing.  :-)

Regular 3-4 mile training runs done this week without interference from the rain.  Weather looks dry for the next week or so.  Planning a 8-miler tomorrow.

Cheers everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54