50 and over 5k and beyond

March runs & workouts (Read 23 times)

rmcj001

Fletch - Nice race!  I think early on it is best to run w/o thinking about it too much and find out how the body reacts.  Plenty of time to get obsessive about it later   keep the training consistent and those times will keep dropping.

Chantilly - You're like the postoffice!  Miss consistancy.  Good luck with the wallpaper - are you putting up new wallpaper or painting?

Dan - I wish I could run with you all!  Sounds like you've got a great group!  Hopefully we'll be able to run together sometime!

adkkev - Your weather sounds SO cold.  Nice job getting the run done outside.

Rich - I know they say you're not supposed to push off, but it also depends on how fast you're going.  When sprinting, driving through the ground is important and push off is considered a must.  The barefoot guys will tell you to lift, not push.  No one looks really fast in that picture, so that much push looks excessive.  Dan is right about the guy in the white hat leaning the wrong way.  The background guy in the red shirt is landing with the leg well out in front, definite overstride.  When you land, your hips should be over your leg - strike is less important, but I think it is easier to do with forefoot/midfoot strike.

Sunday, 3/16, did my home to dish run.  Mid 70's temp got 11 miles in 1:40 and then walked 3 miles to home.  Cut about 10 miles off last weeks mileage, so almost 20%.

Ray

Nana_

I meant to come by here daily but the day gets away from me somehow.

I hope everyone's doing well. I'll go back and catch up on all the goings-on.

My beginner mode is showing some consistency

M, W, F was 15 minutes, 20 minutes, and then 25 minutes.

Sunday was LongRun day for me, up to the big 2.5 miler

So I hopped into a local 5K and walked the first 0.6 and finished off as my training run (run/walk) for the day.

Even PR'd over my last weekend's 5K ( as my LongRun 2-mile)

This week plans for a couple half-hour trainings and a 3-mile LR on Saturday, so I'll find a 5K and give it a whirl again.

2 weeks done, 29 to go until the HM for me

NH Runner

Monday, 3/17... 2 miles on the pavement today.   22 degrees, the wind was blowing and water and ice to avoid.  I ran 9:16 and 9:12 splits and finished with no issues, so will try running something longer tomorrow.

adkkev... my son plans to hike the A.T. from start to finish.   He'll be posting on Facebook once he gets underway, so it'll be fun to follow along.

dan... 3 vehicles in 4 miles, that's my kind of run!

Chantilly... I checked the accuracy of my treadmill this morning fully expecting it to be going faster than it says, only to find the opposite! lol  Ruined my day, now I'm working even HARDER than I thought   And you miss out on the fun of dodging vehicles, etc. when you run on the treadmill.  Good luck with the kitchen re-do.

ray... nice 11 miler!  I'm still up in the air about this form thing and wanted to hear what other people think.   There's a few overstriders in the picture though, eh? lol

Jo... don't look now but you're doing pretty darn good!  Keep it up!

Chantilly75

justrundan watch out for those spring fever drivers!

NH Runner you, too, be careful with those cars. I can't judge running form, I thought they look tired.

rmcj001 nice run length after your race. No more rain?

Jo_ being consistent is what it is all about.

5 miles.

Will paint the kitchen, wallpaper is a pain.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Hi everyone!!

Fletch:  AWESOME finish time! You will learn to go by how your body feels and when to go into higher gear to finish strong; CONGRATS!!

Ray:  nice race too!!  DW running any races soon?

Jo:  WAY TO GO!!  Having a race to run can be the motivating factor for many to keep up with training.  You did great!!

It was 30 degrees today!! YIPPEE!! 6pmh wind, felt like 25 degrees!! YIPPEE!  Cloudy but it was great to get out doors after the cold and snow flurries yesterday.  Finished 6.25 miles, 60 minutes, nice and easy.  Then on to my ZUMBA class.   This week should be milder temps.

Crazy Diamond

A whole lotta great running, training and racing going on from EVERYONE!  Sorry for not checking in.  Last week was filled with a head cold, travel and a 2-day migraine, ugh!

Fletch~Super race and PR!  You are improving by leaps and bounds.

adkkev~Great photo of you and DS.  Some nice miles outdoors for you, too!

Dan~Hope the office move went well and you're adjusting to your new place.  Change - a constant in our lives, but it's never easy.  Coconut - beside politics, nothing spurs more debate!

Ray~Fantastic race and PR!  Always enjoy reading your RRs.  Your weather sounds wonderful, but sorry there's not much precipitation in the forecast.  Our record cold winter caused 93% ice cover on Lake Michigan and that helps raise water levels.

Jo~Belated welcome!  So happy you found our group.  Working the 5ks into your training is a great motivator.  Every year I sign up for a 6 race winter series to keep me going.  You're doing great!

Rich~My son's XC coach has the team place their hands behind their heads with elbows up during training runs.  It brings the chest up, hips forward and make it difficult to over stride.

Chantilly~Read your conversation with Rich about Shalane.  Did you read about her 15K record in Jacksonville last weekend?  47:03, amazing!  Jerry Shumacher is still her coach at Nike Oregon Project.  He ran XC/track at an area  HS and was a team mate at Wisconsin with my sons' coach.

AZ~30F - Wow, a heatwave!  You are a hearty soul to run in that wind.

Last week's hit-and-miss training is behind me, can't do a thing about it except adapt and move forward.  Very windy Monday, so ran a slow 10 miles at the indoor track, then picked up the final 2 miles to HM pace for overall 12 miles.  No quality sleep over the weekend because of the migraine, made for a tough run.  Tuesday, ran 4 on the parkway path.  Lots of brown grass and trash under all the melted snow.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Tuesday, 3/18... Ha!  6 mile run on the railtrail followed by 5.5 miles of XC Skate Skiing on the same trail...    Footing was a little loose for running, plus I wore Yaktrax, but my achilles was just fine.   I thought my form needed a little tweaking and it looks like I was right.    Skiing was with the usual suspects, the Tuesday Crew, 3 people skiing and 3 running.    This was a good day, I finally feel like this achilles thing is behind me!

Chantilly...painting and plumbing are both 4 letter words in my house, I'd rather cut my lawn with a pair of scissors...  Good luck with your kitchen project!

az... I had to Google Zumba to find out what it is and now I know, it's a workout!!!   Congrats. on the 6.25 mile!

gito... I used to get migraines when I was a kid and I remember my mother being laid up for days with them, they make life REALLY difficult.   And I'm familiar with running with your hands on your head, along with everything you mentioned, it also takes your arm swing out of the equation so you can feel your hips working like they're supposed to.   Was wondering where you'd gone, good to see you back!   And nice 12 miler!

A little cooler today at around 28 degrees, 7mph wind, feels like 20 but it was exhilarating to go for a short run to loosen up muscles and just because I could , AWESOME!! Nice and slow, 4.2 miles, 44 minutes with a 1 minute walk break at 2 miles. Thought of going 5 - 6 miles but told myself that it was a RECOVERY run.  oooohhh, the TEMPTATION .......... LOL!!

Deb:  Missed ya!! Glad you're feeling better.  I have not had a migraine for a few years (knock on wood), I think I finally figured out what triggers them.  It can be so distressing and crummy.  A vicious cycle too, as lack of sleep may play a factor but then you can't sleep because of the migraine, ugh!! But your recovery is remarkable ........a 12 miler, WOW!!  Way to go!!

Rich:  woohoo!! all gone, re: achilles.  I think your cross-training activities worked/strengthen your less used muscles to foster your running muscles.  Thus, improved overall performance.  Keep it up!!  Yeah, the Zumba moves can get your heart rate groovin' .  DH and I took ballroom dancing for almost 3 yrs but we haven't danced since we moved to MN, and as the saying goes, "if you don't use it, you lose it"  

Chantilly:  Do people still paper their wall?  haha!!! RE: Rich that he "rather cut the lawn with a pair of scissors?"  I know it's a pain to remove wallpaper.  Good luck on the re-do.  You are a powerhouse on the running, WTG!!

adkkev

Monday - 7 outdoor miles around town

Tuesday - 6.25 outdoor miles around town

Slightly warmer than it's been & so I decided to continue the outdoor runs under the stars until the weather goes downhill again ... like it's supposed to on Thursday.  Feels good to be running outside ... crazy as it may seem, I missed all those hills!

Our renovation project is finished & now we've moved onto our bedroom ... my wife has begun to strip the old border from the walls & then we'll spackle the holes, etc., and paint.  We'll also be installing a new floor, probably laminate over our existing floor.

One thing we've discovered is that we have too much stuff & so we've been 'downsizing' as we move along ... and our attic is going to be challenge once we get up there & start cleaning things out.  A bit of the stuff up there belongs to our two grown boys ... like a complete drum set, hunting gear, baseball cards, soccer trophies, more baseball cards, etc.  Looks like they're going to have to make some decisions about their 'stuff'!

Deb - nice runs over the past two days, especially after the migraines, etc.!!

Rich - good to hear that the Achilles is much better now.  Hope your son has a successful AT hike!

Az - another couple of good runs for you too!  Sounds like your weather is moderating a bit?

Jo - keep up the good work!!

Chantilly - how did the painting go?

Fletch

Deb - missed you.  Glad you're feeling better.   Way to follow up those "downer" days with a strong 12 miler!

Rich - nice workouts. Sounds like you may have beat the Achilles problem.

adkkev & Az - Glad to hear you're both getting some nice days to run outside.  Good work.

Chantilly - Way to stay consistent.  How's the kitchen coming?

Dan - love those rural roads.  Good work.

Ray - Don't know what a "home to dish" run is, but I like your miles and pace!

Jo - Keep it up - you're doing great!  I like the idea of finding a 5k for your long weekend run.  Gets you accustomed to race day.

Travel day Sunday to celebrate daughter's birthday, and to visit with DW's parents.  Wanted to run after work Monday, but it was pouring rain, and 35 degrees.  Heat wave for some of you, but too cold for this southerner.   It was still cold this afternoon, 35 degrees, but at least it wasn't raining.  Ran a route today that I haven't run before.  It was nice, but MUCH more hilly than my usual routes.  6.3 miles in 1:02.

Hope you all have nice weather, good health, and safe runs!

rmcj001

Rich - Don't know about form either.  I tried once to video myself running on treadmill - probably should have got my wife to take the video.  Didn't get me much.  Glad the achilles is healed!  Looking forward to seeing those mile times dropping.

Az2mntrail - Glad to see you out running enjoying things.  DW will be running a half a week from Saturday, a hilly run.  I'll be doing 5k this time...

Jo - good to see you working smartly.  Be careful with the races, they're addicting

Chantilly - First thing we did when we bought our house was to take out all the wall paper.  Bathroom looked like a kleenex box...Like the runs, training seems to be going well.

Debra - I'd happily trade you some temperature to even things out.  Know you all have had it rough this winter.  Nice mileage!

adkkev - Always something to do around the house.  Great that you've been able to run outside.  Hope things are too bad the rest of the week.

Fletch - Nice time when you throw in the hills.  Hills are free sprints, they are your friend.  The "dish" is the large radar telescope at Stanford, it sits on hill.  It is a big loop that is just under 4 miles if you return to the gate that you entered.  It's very up and down with first mile have about a 300' elevation change (all up).  Starting from my house it is about 5 miles to the gate.  This weekend wanted to do at least 10 miles but no more then 11 to not exceed weekly mileage plan.

Monday, 3/17, 7.5 miles 1:03:18 - wanted to keep things at an hour for 7 miles and dawdled a bit too much at the start, so last mile was quicker then I should have.  Tuesday, 3/18, trying to get in a little speed work so broke things into 2 runs of 4 miles on TM.  First run was progressive run finished in 31:09 with last mile at 6:55.  2nd run also progressive, but tried to even it out more last 2 miles were 7:34 and 7:26 to finish in 31:54.

Ray

Chantilly75

az2mntrail nice runs with your weather improving. How does your dog like the weather now? Zumba is good cross training.

gito57 Sorry about the migraine.  Hope you weren't throwing up, too, and that you feel better.

BTW: I actually "grew" out of migraine headaches and only get the shimmering lights for 20 minutes now, maybe a couple times a year.

Wow! 6 degrees of Jerry Shaumacher…. (do you know the game of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon?)

NH Runner Hope you continue to do well outside in prep for your HM.

I hired some old geezer my age to do the painting.   I have scraped wallpaper for a total of 8 hours and it still is not finished. 

adkkev nice outdoor runs for you. I imagine you missed your starry nights, as well as those hills.

I hired a painter, he will come next week.

Fletch_NC  good pace for  6.3 miles.  Nice to run a new route to mix things up.

rmcj001 some good speed there…are you sure you are not looking at that Strava data? 

12 miles on the track. I was tempted to go outside, many of the streets are pretty clear, not the sidewalks, though…so will wait.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday. 3/19... 6 mile road run today.   A decent hill in the 3rd mile and a decent headwind the last 2...  I was ok with that, just happy to be running like a fool again.   Splits were slower, my new and improved running form will take a little getting used to... 9:45, 9:39, 10:06, 9:46, 9:48 and 10:08.

adkkev... you've come through winter REALLY well.  Your outside running is impressive, good for you!

az... Ballroom dancing doesn't seem like it'd be the same workout you'd get from Zumba, I was sweating just WATCHING Zumba dancers...   Congrats. on the 4.2 miler...

Fletch... they tell me hills are your friends.   Some friends, eh?   Nice run!

ray... it seems like there's a dozen correct ways to run, each of us just has to find the one that works best for us.   In my case, I was overstriding.   At first I tried to fix it by running with a faster cadence, but all that did was get me overstriding with a faster cadence...   Now I'm just concentrating on lifting my feet with my hamstrings and driving with my hips.   All I can say is it's a good thing I'm not in the Boston Marathon this year, I'd probably win the whole Enchilada!    Nice workout on the treadmill!

Chantilly... ol' Geezer, eh?  I hope you're paying him well, he'd probably rather be outside on your lawn with a pair of scissors...    Nice 12 miler!

It felt much cooler than 30 degrees (per weather channel), 12mph, felt like 20 degrees.

Some snow flurries this morning and busy with work so didn't run until after 4 pm but finished just when DH got home, yippee!!

Decided to run today because of the predicted snowstorm Thurs and/or Friday, thus colder temps for weekend!!

Finished 4.5 miles:  1/4 mile warm up, 10:02, 9:46, 10:01, 9:44, 1/4 mile cool down, WHEW!!

Then about 40 minutes of stretching, light weights, core exercises, foam roller.

Chantilly:  There are a couple of dogs in the neighborhood who want to start a fight with Odie so DH has been walking him the OTHER way in the evenings.  I think it's smart of hire help as renovation can become so overwhelming.  We had our AZ home redone, half ourselves, half with contractor, took FOREVER between business travels and work, Bamboo flooring alone took 2 months because it had to 'acclimate' for at least two weeks to the temperature (winter) .  But the finished work is fabulous!!  Incredible 12 miler, WTG!!

Rich:  I tend to read articles by Greg McMillan (Running Times) who has his company based in Flagstaff, AZ, one of the best places in the world to train.  I like his practical advice geared to 'master runners' and use his Even Stephen workout when I'm on travel and stuck in a hotel with a TM.  He talks about form but I agree that each of us have our unique way to compensate for specific needs that our body allows.  AWESOME splits!!

adkkev:  Hope the upcoming storm isn't too bad this time around.  Your consecutive running days have been great!! I really miss running hills .....lucky you!!

Chantilly75

NH Runner new and improved running form sounds good.  Hope it works out for the achilles.

RE: old geezer:  every handyman I hire seems to be a wizened 60+ man with a pack of smokes in his pocket….and, I suspect…a mickey out in the truck...

az2mntrail Hope those other dogs smarten up and stay on their leashes.  The dog walkers in my area don't seem to have a problem meeting other dogs when they are all outside after supper. Even the pit bull just runs along beside the bicycle and doesn't bother anyone.

I have been to some open houses in Scottsdale, since we take a week's vacation there a lot of winters. Your house must be very nice.

10 miles. My arthritic hand is quite sore from the wallpaper scraping and had to put on some menthol rub this AM.

Sonata Arctica