50 and over 5k and beyond

March runs & workouts (Read 23 times)

rmcj001

Chantilly - 12 & 10?  Nicely done!  Hope the hands feel better soon.  Hopefully you're done with the wall paper?

Rich - It will take a little while to get everything used to the new form, but it all sounds good!  Don't get to aggressive too soon.

Az - Way to get the run in!  Hope the weather isn't as bad as expected.

Wed, 3/19, 7.2 miles in 70 flat with work mate.  With about 1/2 mile to go sort of sped up a bit.  Thursday, 3/20, started out easy and finished strong.  7.5 miles in 62 flat.  Weather here is really mild.

Ray

adkkev

5 miles on the treadmill on the Y 'cause the weather isn't being very cooperative tonight.  Windy, chilly, snow showers.  Came out of the Y to find over an inch of white fluffy snow on the car ... the weather man said "clearing skies tonight" ... must be new code for "brace yourself for a little more snow".  Oh well ... so much for the first day of "spring"!

Ray & Chantilly!!  Nice runs over the past few days!!

justrundan

Chantilly- way to keep up the mileage!

AZ- glad you could get outside while the weather was better.

Ray- glad you "took it easy" on your coworker!

adkkev- The snow has bypassed us so far this week; hang in there.

First week in the new digs is done (not in the office today, nursing home visits)  Fortunately the entire week was not as crazy as Tuesday and Thursday!  The MA who works with me is off next week, good for her, she could use it after the last few weeks.  Her replacement isn't too used to my patients, and isn't as efficient, so we'll see how the week goes. 

Early morning runs 4 out of 5 days this week, 4.5-5.5 each morning.  Enjoy running in the moonlight!  2 mile warm up today, then 1/4 mile intervals with walk/jog in between.  Added in one of the modest hills at the end and made it up without walking.  Yay for me!

A new part of the job will be working in the clinic 1 Saturday morning every 2-3 mo, and tomorrow is my first.  Hope to use it to run from town to home after done @ noonish, so that will be about 7.5 miles, that'll be my LSD for this week.

Low 50's here today, then 30's and below rest of the weekend.

Have a great weekend friends.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Rich~Great to read the achilles pain is behind you and your running is going so well.

AZ~Nice running and x-training!  Ballroom dancing - lovely!  No surprise you are so agile on the trails.

adkkev~I had to giggle about all the "treasures" your boys left behind!  We're neck deep in LEGO!  I know it's been said before, nice days are on the horizon!

Fletch~Nice work throwing in the hill during your 6 miler!

Ray~Strong, fast and consistent!  Although we've had so much snow, the sw area of WI is already in drought conditions.  Hope you have rain soon.

Chantilly~Hope the menthol rub helped your handsAre you feeling more prepared for your FM?  Your mileage and training has been great!  Yes, unfortunately the migraine arrived with all the trimmings.  My RN sister surmised that the intense chlorine odor at the water park we were staying may have triggered it.  LOL on 6 degrees of Shumacher!  DH actually has a Bacon # of 3 from a crowd scene in a David Carradine movie.

Dan~Happy you're settling in, and got in some good running.   Looks like a great plan when you're scheduled on Saturdays.

Wednesday, 6 miles at the indoor track.  Warmed up for 1 mile, then ran 4 miles picking up speed on the straights, easy on the curves.  Followed up with 1 mile cool down.  Thursday, sunny and mild, ran 3 miles with DS2.   I'll take bike to the shop for a tune up today,  the bike paths are drying up quickly.  Need to strengthen the quads.  Tomorrow the final 10k of the winter series.  That means winter is over, right?

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

adkkev

Debra - I only mentioned what the boys have left in our attic ... in the cellar you'll find a large collection of Star Wars & Masters of the Universe toys ...

NH Runner

Friday, 3/21... 10 miles on the highway today in 1:40:07, pretty darn close to a 10 minute pace...   With 34 degrees and a 10 to 15 mph wind, it wasn't the best conditions for running, but tomorrow's forecast is worse with rain and snow.    With today's run in the bank, now I can do something easy on the treadmill tomorrow.

ray... you're right, I'll be taking it slow for a bit, getting used to this change.   It sure feels nice to be training again though, at any pace!  Nice runs as usual!

adkkev... I LOL over "Brace yourself for a little more snow."   It can be a challenge sometimes, eh? lol

dan... you had a great week of training.  Those 1/4 mile intervals give your body a nice change of pace, nicely done.

gito... do you cross train a lot on the bike?   I ride the railtrail some, but that's about it.   Another solid run on the track for you, good luck in tomorrow's race!

Chantilly... I Googled "Mickey" to find out where the name came from and it seems there was a certain Mickey Finn who owned a saloon in the late 1800's.   He took to adding a little extra to his patron's drinks and when they passed out, his employees would steal their money, then drop 'em off in the alley out back.   When they awoke the next day, they wouldn't remember anything from the previous night.  The testimony of one "Gold Tooth" Mary Thorton, a prostitute who worked in his saloon, was the undoing of Mr. Finn.

az... I'm familiar with Greg McMillan's web site, lot's of good training info there.   Nice run!

Chantilly75

justrundan you seem happy to be outside. Run/commute will be handy for your mileage.

gito57 nice run on the track.  Biking will help out, for sure.

Good luck on your final winter 10 Km!

adkkev hope you didn't get much snow.

NH Runner ....not that kind of mickey....I guess I meant a hip flask. Steady 10 miles on the road. Did you have to concentrate on the form?

Easy cruising for 12 miles on the track with the Moody Blues and Pink Floyd.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Chantilly... nice run!   Yes, I'm being super careful not to aggravate my achilles, so am paying close attention to form.   And who knew what a Mickey is, eh? lol

Crazy Diamond

adkkev~Lots of Star Wars here, too.  DH's mom tossed his Spiderman #1 comic book and he's never forgotten it!

Chantilly~Bet that 12 miles did cruise by.  It doesn't get better than Moody Blues and Pink Floyd!  Brit Floyd is in town tonight ... wish I was going.

Rich~Nicely done on the 10 miles.  Occasionally I bike to work, and enjoy biking on weekends with DH & boys.  WI has an expanding trail system.

Walked 2 miles on the parkway before the weather turned.

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

4 miles recovery.  Rest day tomorrow.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 3/22... started out on the treadmill with the idea of doing a recovery run, but felt good @ 1.5 miles and decided to add a short interval session to the workout.   60 second walk breaks followed by 60 seconds @ 7 mph.   I kept that up for a mile, then pulled the plug.   Pace was slower than my last 5K pace, waaaay back last summer...

Took rest day on TH.  Predicted snowstorm came through late that night into FRI morning, snowed all morning, took another rest day due to 20+mph winds but felt good and glad I ran M/T/W.

Woke up to a gorgeous SUNNY day today, sub-zero temps over night into next week. I just couldn't resist getting out for a run in winter wonderland!    About 10 degrees, 13mph wind, felt like -7 degrees.  Ran on the neighborhood road where there is more traction on the snowpacked road.  Icy patches in the open areas so stayed on extreme shoulder without slipping into the ditch, yikes!!  I dressed just right for my run which makes all the difference.  Finished 6.1 miles in 1:05, YIPPEE!! 

adkkev

6.1 miles around town earlier this evening as the sun set & some clouds moved in  .. windy, temp in the mid 30s.  Just got some snow flurries in the morning & that was it.

Granddaughter (aka "the princess") is sleeping over tonight ... we watched Frozen together ... she was very concerned about the fate of the "snow monster".

Crazy Diamond

Yesterday final winter series 10k.  Weather was 33F, overcast, with 15 mph wind.  The course is located in lake country and featured a few hills.  10k was a double loop.  DS1 headed out at 10:00am for the 5k.  He was pleased with his time of 21:24. The combined start of the 10k and 15k was delayed due to a large number of 5k walkers still on the course. Heated high school was close to the start/ finish to stay warm. Road conditions were pretty good, except for a few pot holes (the herald of spring in WI!) marked by cones.  The hill on the back side of the course is an elevation change of 150 ft for approx 3/4 mile and was sheltered from the wind.  The headwind was brutal  in some areas.  I did okay on the hills, surprising due to all the indoor track running the winter.  It would have been better with some hill work outs, though!  On the second time up the larger hill, I used the signs as goals.  "Just make it to the next sign and walk".  Got to the sign and ran to the next sign until I crested the hill.  One more medium hill at 6 miles and the finish line was visible around the circle drive of the high school.  Finished with a 1 second PR of 60:28.  Feeling confident that under 60 minutes may be achievable.  My time was good for 2nd in AG, too!   Enjoyed a chocolate chip cookie and banana.  The series awards were presented, a cute hat with the series logo.  Great series, awesome cause to support and good people to enjoy running  with during winter.

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Sunday, 3/23... 7 mile railtrail run today.   Not the best conditions with the wind, cold and slippery trail, but the next couple of days are supposed to be even worse, so it made sense to get out today.   Nice easy pace just to get the miles in...   And the scale says I'm down another pound.   I'd dropped 6 before my achilles acted up, but had gotten away from trying to lose while my achilles had me shackled.   Anyway, I'm down 7 and would like to lose another 5, if anybody's got healthy snack ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.   It's between meals that gets me in trouble...

az... don't you just love running in the snow?   Do you ever have drivers who won't give an inch even though there isn't another car in sight?   I had that happen the other day, a snowbank on one side of me and a woman using her vehicle like a weapon on the other.  Nice 6.1!!!

adkkev... can't comment on the Snow Monster, but we have a few Princesses stopping in here once in a while as well.   They make my day!   Nice run in the cold!

gito... not much doubt you'll go under 60 in a 10K.   That course sounds tough with all the hills, to PR the way you did says a lot about your training, congrats!!   DS1 is fast, eh?  That's a great time for 5K!