50 and over 5k and beyond

October Runs and Workouts (Read 28 times)

justrundan

Well, I took it REAL easy Thursday; didn't run at all as I had to head to office to finish Wed charts before Thursday clinic started.  Still have Thursday charts to finish, but I did 6.4 this morning, 5 at race pace, or somewhere in that neighborhood.  Tomorrow long run may be split since it's my turn to work the Sat morning clinic.

Ray, wish I could 'sandbag it' like you do!   Yes, I'm hoping to improve on my HM time from last September, when DS and I did the Fox Cities HM in 2:13Tight lippedx.  I hope the race day magic helps me along, I'd like to drop under 2:10.

Chantilly- glad you're over the cold.  Enjoy the yard work, it's always better than moving the white stuff!

AZ- nice miles!  Is your race this weekend?  Good luck, you've been training well.

Have a fun weekend everyone

Dan

NH Runner

Friday, 10/10... yesterday's bike ride got me back on track, so I headed up the pavement for a 6 miler this morning.   If you remember the covered bridge picture I posted a while ago, today's run was an out & back that took me though that bridge twice.     Going out, it's just under 2.5 miles into the run and just before a 1/4 mile hill and the end of the third mile.    I wanted to add a little intensity, keeping with Ray's approach of more speed as the run progresses, but eased up with a 1/2 mile to go to catch my breath...   9:29, 8:46, 9:18,(hill) 8:36, 8:26, 4:12 and 4:54.   I'm gaining...

Ray... I'd have to sand-bag every mile except the one with the hill to have negative splits if there's a hill involved...     Excellent runs as usual!

Chantilly... I think our immune system is weakened in the days after a marathon or ultra and probably why you're a little under the weather.    I don't care, you're still my hero!  

Dan... your training seems to be going really well, won't be surprised at all to see a PR in your half.    And good luck with your busy schedule!

Chantilly75

NH Runner I think you have such scenic areas to run in.  Nice splits after your race.

(Everyone at work was coughing and carrying on before I left, so I think the race probably lowered my resistance to their germs plus airplane air quality is pretty low)

justrundan I hear you on the charts…they are the worst. Have a good long run.

Yes, leaves are always better than the white stuff.

rmcj001 I guess you had left some in the tank, but still have to be prepared for the hills, so….not really a sandbag IMO.

7 miles at the track at 5AM. Still a bit of a coughing fit.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Dan - Your training lately sounds like it has been pretty good, that's probably the most important thing.  Keep the positive thoughts and keep telling yourself that things are going well!  You'll do great!

NHRich - The numbers are looking so much better for you.  I know I dread the hills, but figure that breathing hard ends at the top and you get to skate going down - unless it's a race...

Chantilly - I think it wasn't so much sandbagging as much as I "zoned" out for awhile - tho, I'm guilty of taking some miles "off" to make it easier later.  Just checked Strava and it says GAP (Grade adjusted Performance) time for mile 6 was slower then mile 5 and mile 8 slower then mile 7. Yes, longer runs definitely stress the immune system and make you more susceptible to getting ill.

AZ - have a great race tomorrow!

10 mile tempo run today (slightly cooler then yesterday) in 1:20:33.  Friday's longer run I usually do the opposite direction on the Los Gatos trail. Which means instead of running the last few miles downhill I'm running uphill.  I could tell I was working hard 'cuz the sweat was in my eyes and I was sucking wind big time.  It was fun!

Ray

HAPPY FRIDAY everyone!

Yep, tomorrow is my 26k.  Rest day Thurs but did alot of stretching and some weights.  Today, Friday, I went for a very easy 3 mile run around the neighborhood this morning to loosen my quads and achilles plus to see which shoes I want to wear.  Still not sure .  We've had frost in the mornings all this week and barely 35 degrees.  But around 9 am, temps hover around 40 degrees the last two days so race day temps should be similar, YAY!! It'll be windy though.  I don't care, I just want it to be sunny!  It's suppose in the mid 50s for a high (after the race, ha).  Went to the expo to pick up bib and watch the 1k and 1/2k for kids , cuties, lots of run/walk/run, it does work, LOL!!  Then the 5k runners at 5pm. DH and I went out for dinner to plan where he should meet me on the course tomorrow ........along with half a million other drivers, I'm sure. Oddly, I'm pretty much at ease about this.  Just run my race and finish strong!

I haven't read all your posts yet but saw this and had to share!
              http://www.eventpromotions.co.nz/events/taupo-great-lake-relay/

So perfect for us and your significant others. Please, pls, pls, pls, pls???

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Good job on that hill!

az2mntrail Good Luck!

mKayc I'll have to read about that.

A sunny 41F this morning, wearing a tech shirt plus a sweatshirt, headband and mitts. Almost a bit too hot at the end of 6 miles. Now for coffee with the group. Next 2 days off/work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 1011... 11 miles this morning.   Mile #1 with Simba to get him his exercise, then another 10 on the railtrail for me.   38 degrees when I left the house and not much warmer when I got back.   Splits were high 9:00's & low 10:00's.   I'm happy with the run, that's the longest I've gone since getting hurt, so I really wasn't running against the watch.

Chantilly... yes, I'm very lucky to have the railtrail and secondary roads around here to run.    Local news says NH will have approximately 650,000 out-of-state visitors this weekend gawking at the Fall colors and scenery...   It's tough knowing how to dress for specific temperatures, isn't it?  If you start out feeling just right, within a mile you're too hot...lol

Ray... thanks!  I'm gaining.    I think the worst part about getting hurt is getting back up to speed again.   That and getting rid of the excess weight than miraculously appears when we're not looking...   10 miles @ tempo is a heckuva run, WTG!

az... hoping for great things for you in today's race, you are so ready!

mKay... I'll check that link as well, but doubt I'd be able to make it...

WDWRich

Hello All.

Finished up the week of vacation with family and grandkids.  Had a wonderful time, but didn't have much opportunity to train.  Got to the weight room on Monday with 16 yo grandson, 4 miles on Friday and 6.3 this morning.

Disneyland with little ones is precious, though it was hot on Tuesday and Wednesday (98 on Tuesday- ugh).

Temps are finally getting better here in SoCal.  Ray- how are they in your area?

Looking forward to normal training schedule this coming week.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

NH Runner

Sunday, 10/12... 5 mile easy bike ride on the railtrail for recovery.

Monday, 10/13... 3 mile railtrail run, splits were 11:09, 10:22 and 10:04.   Legs didn't like the 11 miler I ran last Saturday, so I've been taking it easy ever since...     I'm feeling pretty good today, so seem to have bounced back pretty quickly.

WCWRich... for what's it's worth, it was 29 degrees here in NH this morning...    Makes me wonder who's run in the most extreme weather here.   For me, it's -7 degrees with the wind blowing, back when I was slightly more enthusiastic about getting a run in...    Sounds like a good time with the kids and grandkids, good for you!

Rested on Thurs.  An easy 3 miler on Fri.  Maybe should have run the 3 miler on TH & rested Fri.? Who Knows?  I was actually relieved that race day was finally here!! RR report for Sat:  up at 6:30 am, drank fruit smoothie mixed with 2 bananas, yummy! DH and I planned our strategy on drive to event, easy parking at 8:45 am. The HM is getting ready to start at 9am; my 26k starts at 9:20am; FM starts at 9:40am. It's SUNNY, just a gorgeous morning despite the temps barely 40 degrees, breezy 12mph wind already, predicting to pick up to 25mph!! Had Nathan hydration waist belt with one bottle filled with Hammer Heed.  I left the other bottle with DH and told him we'll make the exchange around 10 miles. Decided on Montrail Fluidflow shoes (hybrid, very light, roomy toe area, been running in them all week).  I felt ready.  I know the tough part will be the last 3-4 miles.

After the Canadian and American anthem, the race is on!  Started my garmin as I crossed the mat in the middle of the pack.  Didn't hear the first mile beep.  Just kept with a group of runners I felt comfortable with.  Heard the 2 Mile beep: 8:59!! OH NO!! Much TOO FAST!! Mile 1 was 9:06!! Darn it!! I know this is going to affect me later. I was disappointed with myself.    Need to slow down!  I should have just taken a 1 min walk break to re-focus but I kept going.   Mile 3 was 9:13!!  Took a 30 sec walk break.  The wind was behind us so it felt great! As much as I tried to slow down, the pace seemed comfortable and 'easy.'  Mile (4) 9:24; Mile (5) 9:18; Mile (6) 9:23; Mile (7) 9:16. Beginning to feel a blister on my left small toe, are you kidding me?!? 1 min walk break at Mile (8) 10:05, and half of Hammer gel.  Mile (9) 9:19.  Still too fast, what the heck?!? 30 sec walk break to exchange water bottle with DH at Mile (10) 10:02. The wind picked up and it's a headwind for the rest of the course.  The toe blister is causing me to favor my right foot. Mile (11) 10:07, better 'pace.'  Mile (12) 10:41. The 'hilly' portions of the course begins, up and down for about 3 miles. Ate rest of the Hammer gel. Runny nose and I'm out of tissues.  Asked volunteers at each milepost and at least one of them would run after me with some tissues, how awesome is that??

Mile (13) 11:49.  Quads and calves are beginning to scream with start of some cramping. Blister is pure agony, and neuroma on right sole is awake and joins the rebellion.  Mile (14) 10:48.  Downhills helped but, now, right foot is getting numb!! Damn it!!   I take about 10 sec walk break when I feel some cramping. Gave DH my cap and hydration belt.  Had to walk the last 'steeper hill' on Mile (15) 12:04 - my slowest and hardest mile.    Could feel the 20mph headwind as I crossed the bridge over the Mississippi River.  Grateful for my own 'personal pacer': a 30ish female runner who I kept within my sight since mile 12.  I could see she is just as tired as I am as she takes brief stretch breaks here and there but she stays ahead of me.  I wanted to catch her.  However, it's strange that at the same time, I was 'rooting' for her to keep going so I would keep pushing as well.    I could see the finish and picked up my pace as did my female pacer, YAY!! Mile (16) 10:17.  But it was longer than the 16.1 miles.  Turned out the course was actually 16.69 miles (my garmin read 16.78).  That's almost 17 miles!!  YIPPEE!! Made it, whew!!  Got a free post-race 10 min massage.  I had two goals 1) 2:40 finish, give or take 10 minutes, 2) finish before the first marathoner.  LOL!!

My official finish time was 2:47:31.  Overall: 108/220.  Overall female:  59/140.  AG:  6/16.  10k mark was about 54 min; HM mark was about 2:08.  My quads and calves, blister and neuroma took the most beating in Mile 13 & Mile 15.  I finished before the first marathoner, HAHA!! But overall, it was a great run, no hydration issues.  A couple of 15-16 miles training runs would have prepared me much better but this helped me get over the hump of 14 milers.  Shoes are great for a 10k! LOL!  So the search continues for long distance road shoes. I still have trouble starting out too fast.  But I'm happy and satisfied with my effort and time despite my dislike of paved road running, OUCH!! I recovered very well.  Rested Sunday with lots of stretching.  Blood blister on small toe and 'regular' larger blister on right neuroma area are both sensitive and need to heal, makes me walk funny, LOL!!  Sorry for the LONG post.

NH Runner

Congrats. az!    Your quick pace early might have effected your over-all time, but you hit your goal and ran a solid race!   Who races in a 20 mph wind anyway!?   Loved the race report and proud of you, 16 miles ain't no walk in the park, even without the wind, you did really well!!

Congrats. az!    Your quick pace early might have effected your over-all time, but you hit your goal and ran a solid race!   Who races in a 20 mph wind anyway!?   Loved the race report and proud of you, 16 miles ain't no walk in the park, even without the wind, you did really well!!

Thanks NHrunner!  It was a great run!  I was trying to run by 'feel' but it seems like my body was thinking a HM, not an 'almost' 17 miler.  In any case, I need to keep that in mind .........and maybe start in the back, LOL!!  Maybe it was the wind at my back that made me run faster from the beginning, HAHA!!  Could have done without the wind after halfway when we came out of the State Park which was lined with trees as windbreakers.  You could tell how windy is was by just looking at the waves on the lake. It was a glorious day regardless. 

NH Rich - so sorry for DW's health problem! How frustrating and scary!! Glad you found time for your trail run and DW got the right treatment!

Thx about the pix! Everything I do is slow. Just saying. Nice 8 mi wind run! Hate running in the wind!! Great job with your training and splits!! Congrats on your double digit mileage!

Dan - So the Rails to Trails is Nov 2d? You have the distance and speed. It will be so interesting to see how the race goes.

Az - nice runs!! Your discipline is so amazing!! Congratulations on your great race finish and time! What a dramatic time you had with all that rebellion!! Excellent job pushing through! DH is such a good supporter!!

Chantilly - glad you're feeling better! So sorry you were congested. Take your time coming back. Its so easy to catch something after a race that I try to take EmergenC daily before and after.

Ray - Is it sandbagging when you get slower going uphill or gravity pushing down on you? You can do this BQ and you're on the right path. You'll get it done. Left foot, right foot. No sprained ankles, hammies, or quads!

WDWRich - Little ones trump just about everything, don't they? I don't know how parents of young kids find time to train. Glad you enjoyed your vacation!

This is part 1

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

WDWRich

AZ - Great race!  Sorry you had to deal with the blister and other issues, but you pushed through it all to an excellent finish.

Mary Kay - Yes, little ones can certainly throw a monkey wrench in one's routine, but I wouldn't trade those times for anything.  Smile

Weather looks good for the next week or so here in SoCal.  Highs in the 70s and lows in the 60s.  Yipee!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54