50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2023 - Run Resolutions and Race Reports (Read 8 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The Redactle game looks impossible to guess with that little information! As a teenager I liked to do the cryptograms in the newspaper, but this looks harder! Like Sudoku, I'm not sure if I want to spend all the time working out the solution to the game.

It's not (usually) as hard as it looks.  You keep guessing common words like there, that, she, history, america, europe, era, first, many, or whatever comes to mind, and you eventually see patterns that lead to more specific words, The blanks do give an indication of the length of words.  One puzzle per day, and it changes at noon Eastern time.

I'm not great at Chess, but it does look like you have a good strength advantage in that game. As to position, I'd have to stare at longer. Wink

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Monday morning did 5 miles around the neighborhood. I didn't get out until around 3:00. That's when the drizzle finally let up. But I stayed close to home just in case.

Tuesday morning did 4.4 miles around the neighborhood again. Cloudy, windy and cold for most of the walk. As I was finishing the sun finally came out as the clouds moved out to the East. Hopefully sunny most of the day.

First an update on AZ. I got a text from her Monday night. They got like 20 inches of snow in the Flagstaff area on top of what they already had. Their internet is out and the roads up there are pretty poor so she is staying inside right now. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.

Altair - Hit your weekly total again. Nice job. Good you were able to find the key after back tracking. Would have been embarrassing if no one was home when you got back to let you in.

Di - Wishing you the best. I agree with you and Altair. I made sure to do what I wanted when I was younger because I didn't want to look back and say I wish I did that. Enjoy life while we can as we don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Led - Good work with the trivia game. I haven't played that in a couple of years. We like Reuben sandwhiches also. That's why I tried the Rueben casserole. Takes a little more work but it was worth it. I'll have to try that game.

Nice mileage, as usual! Boy, AZ is socked in, without internet. Tell her hi for us, if you text back.  Snow or wintry mix is coming our way tomorrow.  Let me know when you're addicted to Redactle! Big grin

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

One more note. Since the time has passed, I can tell you that yesterday's Redactle article subject was Tonga.  I knew it was a south Pacific nation, but I had to Google to get it.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Az - I hope the snow gets cleared and your internet restored. Must get you feeling antsy being stuck inside.

Art - Drizzle, wind and cold does not motivate to get outside, but you got in some walks anyway! If my car is unlocked I can use the garage door opener to get inside without the key, but now I've hidden a spare key outside!

Led - Now that you provided the answer I can see the words do indicate the subject is a location and it is a big clue if you know how many letters are in the redacted spaces. I just won the Chess game by resignation, I was about to take his Queen!

There was a chance of rain and my legs were tired, so I choose a flat road and parked in the middle with the plan I would run out and back in both directions and never be more than 2 miles from my car. I did see a hawk or eagle on my drive there, but not on my run! When I got there it was 44 degrees, but lightly raining, thought I'd just run 2 miles out and back. I had a water resistant jacket on with a hood which protected me from getting soaked. Fortunately the rain stopped after a mile! After completing the first out and back I stashed the jacket in the car and continued in the other direction. On my way back, just before the 7 mile point, I got some sun! It was hazy at times, but by the time I finished and drove back it was nice and bright out! Wish I had started the run a bit later, but you never know about the weather. Garmin gave 8 1/2 miles, with yesterday's 9 miler I'm already halfway to my weekly goal!
          This taken when it was raining, I wanted to show the puddle that still had some ice along the water edge

I think the lower wooden part of this fence is for horses to jump over

I began to see some light from clear skies off to the West. The camera makes the rest of the picture dark when pointed at the bright sky.

You can tell by the light the sun was shining on this field!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Today's Redactle was a really tough one, for me at least. It required only one Google, but I couldn't have done it without. Some interesting past Redactles: dreadnought, Queen Victoria, and electric guitar.  It depends greatly on whether it happens to be in your field of interest and knowledge. Smile  I've learned a lot of stuff, though.

Altair, that's the plan.  I'm just treading water here waiting for a deceased donor as I just can not scare up a living donor.  It is what it is so I just go one day at a time.  I'm not sure about anyone else but having a chronic disease makes you appreciate all the other parts of your life.  I'm so thankful I was able to do the ultras I did and all of the traveling I've done in my life.  I've seen a lot of Europe and now there are places here in the US I want to visit.  Someday soon.

Hello everyone!

I'm back on online ....... till the next major storm, ha!

Di: So relieved the surgery went well. I agree with your reflection of appreciating life as we live it in the present. The memories are stored in a special corner in our hearts and we strive for the future. Giving gratitude daily makes for a good start for the day ......and I work on keeping it that way no matter what. You have been blessed to travel in Europe. Yes, there are many places in the US to explore and experience. I think we both were/are using destination races to do some of that. You never know if you'll pass that way again so I always try to make the best of the places I visit/run/hike/camp. You hang in there dear friend. Thank you for the update.

My goodness, we had major snowstorms one after another in the past two weeks but the ones earlier this week were a doozy! In our area, we got over 30 inches. DH managed to snowblow after each storm so it doesn't pile up too much for the snowblower to handle. The wind is the worst! It was gloomy and dreary for at least a couple of days but here in northern AZ, the sun always shines, yay!!

Monday -- Jan 9: Ran 7.1 miles on slushy muddy trail.

Wed:  Ran 5 miles on another slushy snow trail. Then attended a step class at wellness center.

Thurs:  Virtual Happy Hour with my running buddy in MN, woohoo!!

Friday the 13th:  Ran 4.2 miles with Bones on slushy muddy trail I ran on on Monday.

Saturday: There were only 4 of us who met at 7:30am, carpooled to Sedona and met up with the trail running group there. Ran Long Canyon, about 7 miles. Drier and soft dirt trails. Was remote and hardly anyone on the way in but on return run, hikers and cars parked along the narrow road. ugh!! DH went shopping as we prepared for the storm.

Saturday night till Tuesday night:  Due to the severe weather and bad road conditions, we stayed home. Wellness center and many other businesses were closed anyway, holiday on Monday. Got in some home workouts.

Yesterday, Wednesday: I split up my long run on the TM at wellness center. 5.2 miles, then a 30 min spin class, then 5.3 miles on TM, then lots of stretching using medicine ball and resistence bands, whew!

Today: planning on running at least 5 miles on TM at wellness center. The trails are too deep to run on. Another storm predicted tonight into tomorrow so I need to get this run in today. Roads may be bad tomorrow. But hope to meet with group for another run in Sedona on Saturday.

It sounds like each of you are getting in some mileage on foot and/or bike.

Thank you Art for relaying my message. It's good to have at least one RA runner, I have Di as well, cell number ..... just in case.

Altair is the energizer bunny here with all his miles, way to go. Love the photos, the cemetary one captures the gloominess of the day, and love the small sunlight through the clouds hitting the frozen lake. Glad you had Art for company on the forum. I actually don't mind being 'cooped up' in my house. I have lots of reading to do and stuff that keeps getting put off are being taken care of. DH kept busy with the snowblower and walking Bones around the neighborhood, visiting others. He also helps other neighbors to clear up their driveway.

Led: You and Altair are talking about games online? I have no clue about any of that. But it sounds like you and DW enjoyed a nice evening together.

Stay safe and warm everyone!

My next trail run is January 28, the Oracle Rumble HM in Oracle, AZ (north of Tucson). I'm carpooling with the women trail running group from here and we are staying for the weekend at the guest ranch nearby.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

AZ - Glad you're back online! Wow, you really got socked with snow and wind! At least you and DH were well prepared and didn't really suffer. Even Bones got some activity. Smile You always manage to keep active. I'm pretty much in awe of what you do on the trails and in the gym.

We only got about an inch of snow/slush/ice, and my 3 mile running this morning was slow and careful but good. Sage is even more cautious than I am! Wink  She is a worrier.  Most of the rest of Nebraska got hit pretty hard. I-80 was closed for a day from Grand Island to the Wyoming border - 416 miles.

Sorry for hijacking this thread with game talk.  I'll shut up about it now. Wink

Bet you'll have fun with the other ladies at the Oracle Rumble. Good luck in the race!

Here's ice on our service berry bush:

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Led - We went off topic with the games, but it's interesting to me! BTW, I started a new chess game, but not doing too well. Sounds like you avoided the worst of he slush storm, great you and Sage got out for a little run! Frozen buds look pretty in the sun, nice photo!

Az - Welcome back! Glad your DH kept up with the storms. Good for you to do some slushy runs and the TM when the snow got deep. I must be nice to run those trails with a group. Don't know if I'm the energizer bunny, my runs are slow paced and I'm only doing 35 miles a week. The sun on the ice picture was actually a snowy field, not a lake! I like reading too, just finished a 4 book science fiction series, Hyperion by Dan Simmons, each book was about 600 pages, so that's a lot of reading.

Wednesday had things to do in Rochester and needed a day of recovery. This morning we had some steady rain! By late afternoon I was about to set up the treadmill, need 17.5 miles by Sunday for my distance goal, but then saw the rain had stopped. I did not want to go too far from home in case it started pouring, so I made a route that went down some nearby dead end streets and loops, so I was never more than a bit over a mile from my home, but still managed nearly 5 miles! Overcast and 36 degrees with just a bit of drizzle in my first mile.
                    This stream is around the block from my house, rarely seen it so full!

A quarter mile from my house a Country Max store. I liked the colors in the clouds.

Almost home, my house is just beyond those trees on the upper left. This grassy area was flooded, water was 2 or 3 inches up on that hydrant!

Art in AZ

Wednesday morning the usual 4.2 miles.

Thursday morning 4.2 miles again. Then had breakfast and got ready for the dentist. Got there and they don't accept the new insurance I have this time. So need to look for a different dentist.

Led - Lucky most of the storm missed you. I don't mind the game talk. It's nice to learn others interests as you don't know when you will learn useful and fun. Hopefully that ice on the trees didn't cause any problems.

Altair - There were several areas around here that looked like your hydrant picture. Standing water because the ground was so wet. The canal path this morning was fine in most areas. If I stayed on the high parts it was just damp, but the rest were still wet.

AZ - I saw some pictures and videos from up there. With all the rain and snow we've been getting will certainly help with our water situation. Have fun in Sedona. We are thinking of taking a drive up there to see some snow among the red rocks.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

dhuffman63

Trails

Hi Art, my SIL lives in Mesa and she said there's been issues with the javalinas.  Have you had any issues?  I know when we lived in FL there were times wild hogs would come through and tear up the lawn.  One year we had a wild boar BBQ.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - Good 4.2 mile walks! Bad the Dentist does not accept your insurance. Our weather often seems similar despite you being in the Southwest.

Di - I read about how dangerous wild boars are, because when impaled they will run up the spear and kill you they used special spears with a crossbar to stop them. I once saw a loose pig on a trail and was scared, but it just went it's own way. I see javalinas are a lot smaller. Just found this video about 600 pound wild pigs from Canada invading the USA: super-pigs

Yesterday I went to the urologist and we discussed my prostate situation. I am now scheduled for surgery at the end of March.

Yesterday it was lightly raining. It stopped late afternoon, but by then was not motivated for even a short run. I was thinking how much like March the weather has been with hardly any snow! Tomorrow several inches are forecast for Rochester, but usually we get less.

Overcast, 31 degrees and very lightly snowing today. Nothing sticking to the roads and just a dusting on the fields. I needed to run 7 1/2 miles for my weekly goal if I do another 5 tomorrow. My pace was very slow at the start, but seemed to increase as the miles went by and the legs tired. Not worried about speed right now, just my distance goal. BTW, I just reached over 100 miles for his year!
                          The distant views look a little hazy from the light snow falling

I like the old barns

Snow did form a light dusting on the rocks

Some of the streams I crossed

Altair5

Runs in the rain

37 degrees and overcast when I went for a noon run. I did nearly five miles. This brings my week distance to 35.14 miles, goal once more met! I'm finding it a challange to complete 35 miles each week while dealing with appointments and bad weather. Wish I had more rest days as legs can feel sore by the end of the week. I did end up with no run rest days for Wednesday and Friday, but wish it had worked out to have the end of my week, which I set as Sunday, a rest day so I could get a fresh start on Monday. I think at some time I will be able to increase the distance of my runs and be able to have more than two rest days. Just think, if I did two 12 milers and a 11 miler I would reach 35 miles with only three runs!
                            I do this road about every week, so it can be hard to find different views to photograph. Here are some trees and reeds by the side of the road

And I turned after completing the length of the road to look back where I had just ran

Altair: way to keep at it each week …. And passing the 35 miles, yay! Yes, longer runs in fewer days will result in extra rest and recovery days. Good job on getting 100 miles already. Scheduling runs between weather related days and personal activities can be challenging. I like the contrast between water streams and snow, can really ‘feel’ the difference. Wishing you a good outcome and speedy recovery on the upcoming surgery.

Friday: 5.5 on TM at wellness center. Made it a ‘hill running day’ by running inclines between 2% - 6%. Then, usually I walk backwards for about 1/2 mile after each run on TM. Finished with some medicine ball exercises and band resistance stretching. 
                                Saturday: Predicted storm through the night brought about a couple of more inches of snow and so much colder than expected. So the roads were very icy. Decided it’s safer and smarter to stay home. So didn’t run with the group. 
                                Today: like Altair, I just wasn’t motivated to get a run in the cold. 
                                Another storm predicted tonight ….. hoping it’s not as bad so I can get a run on the TM tomorrow.