50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2023 - Run Resolutions and Race Reports (Read 8 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Az - You use the treadmill and other equipment more than the rest of us, good way to exercise when the weather is bad! I don't feel ready for 12 mile runs, I seem to be comfortable with 7 or 8 miles right now. Hopefully I will increase that distance and be able to take more rest days getting to the 35 mile week.

We must have gotten an inch of snow overnight! It covered the ground and stuck to the tree branches, but nothing on streets and sidewalks. Glad to have some snowfall to photograph, getting tired of the wet, brown fields. It was 31 degrees, overcast and just saw a few small flakes come down during the run. I did 7 1/2 miles.
    Fence, part of barn and the snow on the trees

I made this picture my computer background.

Whenever the wind blew small clumps of snow would fall on my head

Here is a slight hill and curve I ran on

Had to make a pit stop in the woods and saw these stately tall trees in the snow.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

Saturday got in 4.2 miles as usual. Cloudy and windy.

Sunday morning did 4.2 miles again with exercises. Sunny with a slight breeze.

Monday morning did 4.5 miles around the neighborhood walking around the different streets. Clear skies with clouds coming from the East. The sun was just behind the edge but never got past it.

It's been in the mid 30s in the morning here the past few days. Cars and roofs have been covered in frost. But tonight they are predicting a low of 28 degrees before morning. So I covered the tomato plants and hope it protects them. Hopefully they can handle this cold weather.

Di - Not in my area have there been any javelina. It's usually in the farther areas out. I think it was the Northern Phoenix area that had some kind of wild cat. A bobcat I think. Things like this pop up every once in a while. Makes for interesting news and videos.

Altair - The weather here has been strange and unusually colder than normal lately. Eventually you'll get to the point of doing more longer runs and can take an extra rest day during the week.

AZ - Weather mentioned Flagstaff snow total for January is 4th on the list with another week to go. At least it will help with the drought conditions some.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

dhuffman63

Trails

Art, we have bobcats here and a couple years ago there was a cougar sighting a little south of us.  Course I live in the middle of nowhere so wildlife is common.  I've seen foxes, coyotes, stupid deer and there's a place up the road with buffalo.  My DH has seen a lot more but he drives all over the 4 state area for work.

Art in AZ

Tuesday morning was another 4.2 miles with exercises. It was 29 degrees when I went out. Weather said it felt like 23 degrees. But the sun was out so that made it better. Tomatoes plants look OK so far. Suppose to be above freezing tonight.

Di - When I did construction and was in the outlying areas we would see coyotes, javelina, and other small critters from time to time. Hiking in the mountains we see big horn sheep, and I think it was a mountain lion once. It was on the ridge over and looking at us. Then there are the rattle snakes, gila monsters, big spiders, and occasionally hawks and red-headed vultures. It does get interesting sometimes when hiking. Closer to home I mainly see ducks and rabbits.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Wednesday morning it was clear and sunny so I decided to just go for a walk with no particular path picked. Did 6 miles walking through several neighborhoods, around the high school, and parts of the canal. Just walking around and listening to the music.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - Good neighborhood walks. When you say you listened to music do you use earbuds? What type of music do you like? Tomatoes can survive a frost, but not a deep freeze. You get different animals in those AZ mountains! Would like to see a Gila monster, the only poisonous lizard! I used to have a pet horned toad as a kid, do you ever see those?

Di - I have a friend here in upstate NY who says he tracked a cougar to it's den. One time my neighbor emptied his barbeque grease onto the ground and the lady across the street said she saw a cougar there during the night! I looked online and officially there are no cougars native to NY state, but one had wandered here from South Dakota! That's halfway across the country! Anyway, I sometimes worry what I'd do if I spotted a bear or encountered a rattlesnake on my run. I've never seen either one, but know they are in nearby areas.

Yesterday I saw a large bird sitting on a branch in the woods behind my house. It was all puffed up and raggedy looking, maybe because of the cold. Looking in my binoculars I saw it was some sort of hawk. It had some black on the sides of it's tail and dark streaks on it's breast. I took a picture through my window and then went outside to see if I could get a better one, but just got one of it flying off. It had a light color on the undersides of the wings. Here are the pictures, I had to enlarge the part with the hawk quite a bit and they came out blurry. Led was interested if I had photographed a hawk so I am posting this. I still see them often, but they fly off almost as soon as I see them and can't get a good picture. Need like a telephoto lens!

I looked in my bird books. Because of the streaks on the breast I thought it might be a rough-legged hawk, but those are rare this far south. More likely it was this one, the Northern Harrier, rather common around here! Picture is not mine, found it online.

Art said he likes to hear of alternate interests. I just finished listening to a collection of remixed John Lennon songs called "Gimme Some Truth." I have long been a Lennon fan, but have not listened to his music for a few years. What amazed me was how he exposes such deep, personal feelings. I know contemporary artists sing about sensitive things, but these were raw emotions! Perhaps that is why I have not listened to his music too much lately, since I feel similar elements in my own life that can be hard to face. He has great music and lyrics, my favorite line: "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans!"

Tuesday I had a 7 mile run planned, but while looking for a place to park I backed up to close to a drainage ditch and had to call AAA to get me out! Not the first time I've made this stupid move and I was trying hard to be careful! Had to wait an hour for the truck to arrive and it only took a minute to hook up a chain to haul me out! By then I was in no mood for a run.

This morning it was snowing heavy, I'd say we got two inches. Shoveled my driveway, but did not brave the snowstorm for a run. I think I could use the rest, but may not reach my 35 mile goal this week unless I really step it up!

dhuffman63

Trails

I've not seen a cougar but I heard they introduced one south of here in a conservation area.  I saw black bears in FL but none here and I'm sure there are some.  With all my trail runs I never saw a rattlesnake, in fact haven't seen one since I was a kid living in FL.  Saw more wildlife as a kid living in FL than I have out here in the middle of nowhere.

In the winter we get a lot of red tailed hawks here and I love watching them. I really like the raptors. When we go to Wichita for work I count them and got as high as 30 during the 3 hours drive in KS.  Your pic could be a Cooper's Hawk.  We do have owls up in the trees and last couple of days a bald eagle.  I have one small dog so had to keep an eye on him while he's outside.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Di - I'm glad you never saw a rattler on your trail runs and I hope that indicates I won't either! I see a lot of raptors and have seen a bald eagle from a distance. I saw a lot of different owls when I lived on Long Island, but not here. There is a raptor observation center on the shores of Lake Ontario, just West of Rochester. The Cooper's Hawk is smaller than a Harrier and I estimate the bird I saw was large and had over a 3 foot wingspan.

Got out at 11:30 am for an 8.9 mile run. It was overcast, 29 degrees with some gusts of wind and a few snowflakes. The roads were clear, but had to be careful of icy surfaces when I went on sidewalks or by the side of the road. I did see a Harrier flying off, but it is too hard to get near an alert raptor to get a good picture and it was gone before I could even think about my camera.

Sunday: stayed home again. Another snowstorm ..... all night.

Monday: still snowing  Foggy in some areas. It snowed all day. We got about over 8 1/2 inches in our area. Other parts of town got more than 11 inches! Snowplows working overtime all day and night. There are ppl in various neighborhoods pleading for help from those who can clear their driveways. Most businesses and schools closed including college and university. It wouldn't be smart to be driving anywhere, so many ppl got stuck and/or in accidents. Just crazy!

Tuesday: bright sunny morning ...... just gorgeous with the snow everywhere. Snowplows cleared the main roads so the snow melts faster. Called wellness center to make sure they are open, they were so iIdrove into town in the afternoon. Ran 5.5 miles, then some resistence band excercises and TRX stretching.

Wed:  Ran 4 miles on TM. Then did the STEP class, whew!! DH left early morning to Barrett Jackson car show in Scottsdale. Just a one day trip.

Thursday (today): 3.2 miles on TM. Some medicine ball excercises. Had a zoom meeting this evening.

I'm getting ready for the weekend. Carpooling to Oracle, AZ with 3 other ladies tomorrow, it's about a 4-5 hr drive. The 5th person is already in Tucson. My niece lives/works in Tucson, she graduated from U of Az last May, and she is going to cheer me on. YAY! A runner I met at the Vail Colossal race last month is also running in Oracle so it will be great to meet her again.

Will catch you all when I get back! Take care and stay safe. Have a great weekend! 

Art in AZ

Thursday morning did the usual 4.2 miles. Sunny and cool out so was a nice walk.

Friday morning did 4.2 miles with exercises. Did some work in the morning and finished up around 1:00. Since I had to go to the bank, decided a bike ride was in order. So got in a 14.2 mile bike ride also today. Sunny with clear skies. Saw a lot of other bike riders out also. Everyone must have thought it a good idea also. Saw something new on my walk. A chicken was walking buy the canal. First thing I thought was dinner and then figured it got loose from someone's yard.

Altair - I have a wrap around the head set of earphones. It doesn't pop out if I get sweaty and bounce around too much. I have tried a few regular ear buds but none of them would stay in place all the time. I'm a rock n roll type of guy. I like most music but when I'm out running or walking I want something upbeat with a good tempo. It's stil a little cool for the snakes and gila monster to come out. When I do see them they are in a sunny spot soaking up the rays. Trying to mind their own business. I don't think I have seen a horned toad around here. Most of the time I see something and think cool and move on. When I see the big birds, it's usually on the top of the high tension electric towers looking around or just floating along with the wind currents.

Nothing like a small mistake to ruin your plans. Good that it wasn't worse. Fresh snow on the ground does look nice and can be a serene feeling.

AZ - Flag is really getting snow this month. But it can be a bit of an inconvenience also. Nice that the place was opened so you could some running in. Good luck this weekend. The weather in Tucson should be to your liking for your race. Enjoy time with your running buddies.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Az - Too bad the heavy snow kept you indoors, but you got in exercise at the wellness center anyway! After all the treadmill running you will be happy doing the Oracle Rumble out on the Santa Catalina mountain trails! Good luck tomorrow!

Art - After some rainy days everyone wants to get into the act when the sun shines! I suppose Rock N Roll is ideal for running, but I'm thinking of putting together some classical music to listen to on my runs! Anything to distract the mind when you start to feel fatigued.

On Facebook there was a runner concerned about a Florida race he's doing in a park loaded with crocodiles! People responded they would be largely dormant this time of year, as long as you did not try to pet them!

It is strange to see the sun after a long span of overcast days! It was bright this morning, alas, the clouds had returned by 2:30 pm when I got out for a run! Procrastinated too long and missed the sunshine! It was 34 degrees and I decided to go long with a 10 1/2 mile run! I figure if I do like 9 tomorrow I'll reach the 35 mile goal for the week and have a rest day on Sunday when it's supposed to rain anyway. A bit further than I've run lately and had some hill climbing. I was all wore out by the end of the run, hope I'll be ready for another 9 tomorrow!

Run took me past the big field with the oaks that the half I do, the "Oak Tree Half Marathon", is named for! Here's views from different roads:

After descending I went up this hilly road. climbing 200 feet in two miles with yet another 100 feet before I got home!

I saw a heron fly off as I passed a creek. Then, a hazy sun peeked out after the 6 1/2 mile point.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A mix of morning temps - a couple of mornings 11F and 14F, but most in the 20s in the past week. A few patches of ice to be wary of. Tonight it's supposed to snow, then rain, then snow again, temp staying around 32F. Sage & I will probably run to and through the dog run in tomorrow morning's precipitation. That said, we're WAY below our normal winter snowfall amounts.

A couple of mountain lions have been caught on people's security cams passing through Lincoln. One had a tracking collar, so they know that he eventually ended up in Springfield, Illinois. There, the wildlife officers decided that it was a threat to people and their pets, so it was captured and taken to a wildlife sanctuary. Coyotes and foxes are common sights in town. No javalinas or gila monsters around here, but they say armadillos are working their way into Nebraska. Back where we used to live in Colorado, we coexisted with rattlesnakes - they were quite common. My philosophy was generally live and let live, but I did kill one that had taken up residence under the greenhouse floor. With young children playing about, coexisting with that one wasn't a good option. We had bull snakes, too, that liked to steal our chicken's eggs. I didn't kill them, but I would catch them with my snake pole and relocate them.  Horned toads were pretty common, too. We considered it good luck to spot one of them.

Altair - Congrats on 100 miles! I'm not quite there yet. Good job on your weekly miles, and all those hilly miles! Nice winter pictures, and you caught the hawk pretty well, considering. I saw a heron flying overhead this evening (I was just in a parking lot, on my way to do some shopping).

AZ - Crazy weather you're getting! You've got to have a lot of flexibility in where and how you train. I'll be cheering for you too!  Good luck at Oracle!

Art - Hey, a chicken can go out for a stroll, too!  Of course, it might want to consider how tasty it looks to those hawks perched high above.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Led - Brave of you and Sage to go for a run when it's 11 degrees! Hope your run tomorrow is with snow, I think that's better than getting soaked in the rain! So the horned toads were in Colorado, but Art has not seen them in AZ. I guess you were a kid when you thought it lucky to see one! Reminds me of the lucky toad statues with coins in the Chinese restaurants! We used to think it fortunate to spot a praying mantis, supposedly it was a 75 dollar fine to kill one! Without a telephoto lens my hawk pictures are rather indistinct. You do know the closeup picture is from the internet?

Partly cloudy and 35 degrees when I started my run. Course was running south down a hilly road and back, not as much a climb as yesterday with only 80 feet difference between low and high points, but a lot of small hills do take a toll. I saw more sun as the run progressed and would have felt hot but for some strong winds! Legs really tired by the end of the run and I took a lot of rest stops. Map gave 9 miles for this route, but Garmin recorded 9.41 miles, but I did walk off the road a few times to take pictures or adjust my running pants. The drawstring gave me trouble, getting too loose and my pants were slipping down. The 9.41 miles did give me a 36.35 mile total for the week, more than my goal and I only did 4 runs to get there! Tomorrow will be a rest day and it's going to rain.
                            The same tree from opposite sides. The first picture shows the rocks the farmer piled by the tree, the second picture lets you see a distant view.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

None of the precipitation that was forecast materialized, nor did the 32F predicted temps,  Instead, I got to run at 3F with a north breeze this morning. 1.6 miles for the doggie and me was sufficient. This afternoon it has warmed all the way up to 8F. Yesterday was better; 2.3 miles with the dog and 4.1 solo, and it was 23F. Prediction for tomorrow is 3F again. Oh boy.

Altair - I think the belief that horned toads are lucky goes back to the native Americans.  I also think praying mantises are good luck. My dad had a story from when he was in the Army, stationed in the Philippines, of a large praying mantis that took up residence in his tent on a pole situated under a light, which of course attracted other insects as dinner. The mantis was something of a pet for him.  Yes, I picked up that the hawk picture was a stock photo, but your hawk in flight gives a sense of the motion of flight, similar to what we might catch out of the corner of our eye.  Hawks can be tricky to identify. The one I'm most confident of is the red-tailed hawk. Does it have a red tail? Then it's probably a red tailed hawk. Smile  Nice oak tree pics.

AZ - Waiting for what I know will be an interesting report!

Art in AZ

Saturday morning just a short 3.9 miies. Then the usual miscellaneous stuff in the yard, garden and garage.

Sunday morning did 5.9 miles. Walked farther on the canal before I turned around. More yard work meaning pulling weeds that have grown the past week. Then it's garage time.

Altair - Some more good runs for you and beating your goal for the week.

Led - I vaguely remember freezing days like that when I lived in Illinois. Speaking of doggies, I usually see the neighbors walking their dogs before they head off for work. Quite a mix of dogs out running in the grass area.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ