Beginners and Beyond

2017 Goals, plans, intentions, etcetera, etcetera (Read 74 times)

DavePNW

So, 9 days left, where you at?

For the newcomers who weren't here at goal-setting time: feel free to make something up now, and then congratulate yourself for achieving it.

1. 2500 miles, again - this would be for 3 years in a row

2. PR at 4 distances, but unlike last year I'll put numbers on them - 5k (20), 10k (42), 13.1 (1:35), 26.2 (3:27)

3. BQ - but this time by enough to get in.

1. Yup. Currently at 2644, won't be much more. If I hadn't basically shut it down with 3 weeks left, would have hit 2800.

2. 50%. Gonna give myself credit for the 13.1 (1:35:16); blew away the 26.2 (3:23:39). Not remotely close on either of the others.

3. OH YEAH. BQ-6:21.

Dave

LRB

Well, what are we without goals? Lost is what we are. Lost I say.

Well, that about sums 2017 up for me; lost.

On the bright side, overcoming a severe case of plantar fasciitis in my right foot was huge. It's still not 100%, but it's in the 90s. If I can keep it there that will work for me.

The ankle injury in my left foot proved to be my undoing. I never did quite figure how it happened that fateful day in April, but in terms of racing and goals, my year was essentially over the moment it did. It too is not 100%. And due to the nature of what aggravates it, I am not sure it ever will be. That I can run without thinking about it most days though is a step in the right direction.

Through the first week of October, I had run 40 miles for five consecutive weeks only twice the entire year. That pretty much puts things in perspective.

In that regard, I am going to give using a coach shot, after it became clear last year that I could probably benefit from having someone other than myself to answer to.

I spent those four months thoroughly fatigued and unable to hit my training paces most days, which lead to mounting pressure and a sense of failure. Adding insult to injury is that I didn't make it to the start line of any of the races I had penciled in before my ankle injury. Ironic since the day that I hurt it, I killed that fucking workout and felt the best I had the entire year, so the tables were about to turn. Damn. #isuck

Half Crazy K 2.0

At this point, a PR in any distance. Figure out training that works for me.

Do short 5ks count, like a 2.4 miler? Cause that's all I got, otherwise, nope & nope.

Baboon

delicate flower

Sub-19 5K

Sub-40 10K

Sub-90 HM

Sub-5:00 70.3

My three big races are 70.3's.  No marathon on the schedule yet but I am kicking around the idea of Philly in November.

Fail on the first four but inching closer.  PR marathon in November with a huge BQ trumps everything else.

<3

DavePNW

Do short 5ks count, like a 2.4 miler? Cause that's all I got, otherwise, nope & nope.

I bet you set a 2.4 mile PR!

I set PRs this year at 2.9 miles, 3.25 miles, and 12.5 miles. 

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I bet you set a 2.4 mile PR!

I set PRs this year at 2.9 miles, 3.25 miles, and 12.5 miles. 

There was also a 12.8 mile "half". But if I ran the first 12.8 miles of other real halfs faster, does it count? Didn't really care about time in that one, it's a February trail race that I sign up for because it's cheap and one of my good friends lives less than 1 mile from it, so it was easy to convince her to also run it.

Kinda like the 2.4 mile. I know I have run the faster over that distance in many other 5ks.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I said I would get the mileage back to 2015 levels and I failed (thanks, meniscus surgery), but I also wanted to get my times back to 2015 levels and I did that!  Yay me.

Damaris

Cyberic

I had marathon last year, but I don't have that distance in my objectives this year. These two I had, and did not make.

- Sub 40 10K

- Sub 1:30 half

I'm going on a European vacation this summer again (Italy is in the plans) and dunno how much I'll run there.  If I barely run in my vacation, I will not race in Fall 2017 probably. In 2018 I'll probably take a shot at marathoning again.

Did not set big goals for 2017, it seems.

- I did not race the 10K distance, so a fail on the first one.

- 1:27:29 on a half in May. Boom!

I kinda said I was going to train through Fall 2017, and that is what I did. Rather consistantly, too, as the 3100+ miles I will reach in a few days kinda prove. Hopefully I have built a solid base in 2017 for race training in 2018.

Overall, I'm happy with my running year.

Coastal

Interesting year.

Had a few goals.  First one was to be able to train consistently and incorporate hill training.  I have chronic iAT thanks to stepping in a hole several years ago.  Managed to put significant hills back into my running so met that one.

A second goal was to redeem myself at a very hilly early April 10.5 mile race.  Ran it the year before and blew up.  It was unusually hot for us at that time of the year (close to 80 if I remember correctly) and a way too fast mile 7 or 8 cooked me.  Did OK, but my goal was to be prepared with similar mileage coupled with hill work.  Pneumonia came along and I coughed up a hernia which led to a repair rather than a race.

Next goal was a late Oct. half or 50K (depending on how the training went).  Worked back up and was doing very well until something happened with my knee two or three weeks before.  

I know better than set goals  

Now, for 2018....  

DavePNW

Now, for 2018....  

There will be another thread for that, you will have your chance. 

Dave

My goals for 2017 were:

1. Stay injury free. Accomplished this for the most part. Got through 2 seasons without issue. Only after my fall Half did I push it a bit too much on the hills and tweak my hip flexor. I'm pretty much fine now.

2. Sub-20 5k. Accomplished this in March of this year and then sub-19 in the summer.

3. Sub-1:30 Half. Accomplished this in April at the Asbury Park HM. Exceeded this goal later in Nov.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

GinnyinPA

Evidently I never posted on the thread, but I'm happy with the way the year has gone:

1. I'll reach 2000 annual miles for the first time.

2. Marathon PR and BQ

3. HM PR - and I finally broke 2 hours.

OTOH, my usual primary goal is to not get hurt, and currently I'm dealing with hamstring/glute pain that is going to make MRT difficult

DavePNW

OTOH, my usual primary goal is to not get hurt, and currently I'm dealing with hamstring/glute pain that is going to make MRT difficult

I never make this a goal, because what control do you have over it? Anyway I managed to stay healthy for the first 49 weeks of the year, so that's pretty good.

Dave

Cyberic

I never make this a goal, because what control do you have over it? Anyway I managed to stay healthy for the first 49 weeks of the year, so that's pretty good.

For the sake of argument, I think you do have some control over it, with the choices you make: the volume you choose to run, the intensity, and the recovery time you take.

For the sake of argument, I think you do have some control over it, with the choices you make: the volume you choose to run, the intensity, and the recovery time you take.

Completely agree. Some injuries are gonna happen no matter what you do but I think you can control a lot of it.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???