Beginners and Beyond

Plenty of extra time in the morning to start the TuesDAILIES (Read 41 times)

Zelanie

Morning!  3 yesterday, and I am going to be very naughty and run 3 today too. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

She went down with her cousin to visit their grandmother and help her settle in for the winter.  I don't think she's had a lot of free time.

Awww, poor thing.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Dear Dailies.

Today I am going to run 35-40 minutes and do six strides at the end.  Today's run will be on an old, cinder track. Lots and lots of red dust, yes sir.

Sorry for all the soreness, marathon runners, but it is to be expected. Smile

DavePNW

Like everyone I suppose, I have quite a good system of what to wear at what temps. However I always forget over the summer & have to re-learn them every year. I will say 45 is long sleeve tee & shorts, since we've had plenty of that already. Pretty sure jacket weather does not start till <20. My jacket is nice & toasty warm, I used it with a single long sleeve tee down to subzero windchills last year with no problem. Looking forward to those days coming back!

Dave

LRB

Like everyone I suppose, I have quite a good system of what to wear at what temps. However I always forget over the summer & have to re-learn them every year. I will say 45 is long sleeve tee & shorts, since we've had plenty of that already. Pretty sure jacket weather does not start till <20. My jacket is nice & toasty warm, I used it with a single long sleeve tee down to subzero windchills last year with no problem. Looking forward to those days coming back!

Last winter was absolutely God awful to train through! If we get anything like a normal winter for these parts I'll be happier than a pig in slop!

Baboon

delicate flower

We all are different but I would not expect to need a jacket until it drops below 27-ish.  Of course that depends on the length and type of run but the 20 degree rule (dressing as if it were 20 degrees warmer than the actual temperature) has never failed me.

I wear gloves around 45 degrees or less, 2 pair or a heavier pair of at 38 or less and so on.

MTA: that first mile always sucks but you usually warm up nicely.

I agree that what I wear also depends on the nature of the run.  This morning was meant to be easy and I didn't feel like being cold.  Also, the "jacket" I was wearing is very, very light.  Makes a windbreaker look like a parka.  I've got several pairs of these light running gloves I bought at Costco.  Love these things.  They do just fine until temps get below 20, then the heavier gloves come out.  I can tolerate any part of my body being cold except my hands.

http://www.costco.com/HEAD%C2%AE-Digital-Sport-Running-Gloves---Grey.product.100131299.html

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It might take me a couple freezing runs but i remember my system pretty quickly.

LRB no kidding, though i did feel pretty damn badass running in sub zero temps and finally getting my very own frosted eyelashes 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

45F is LS weather for me as well.  But for a marathon or a hard effort, wouldn't SS be better?  I am wondering because my PR race was in 42F, I wore LS, was freezing the whole race, but it was windy.  If I get low 40s in NY and I'm not planning on running this one for a PR, LS???

Damaris

adkkev

Gloves at 50 degrees?  At 45 degrees?  Seriously??  Gotta get to 35 before I go out with gloves on & I usually shed them after the first half mile or so.

Baboon

delicate flower

45F is LS weather for me as well.  But for a marathon or a hard effort, wouldn't SS be better?  I am wondering because my PR race was in 42F, I wore LS, was freezing the whole race, but it was windy.  If I get low 40s in NY and I'm not planning on running this one for a PR, LS???

I'd wear shorts sleeves and gloves, and possibly arm warmers.  That's what I'll do if Philly has those temps (fingers crossed).

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Gloves at 50 degrees?  At 45 degrees?  Seriously??  Gotta get to 35 before I go out with gloves on & I usually shed them after the first half mile or so.

Yes, because the hands move the least when running and are freezing and numb no matter how long I run. When I have tohold the leash to my canine running buddy, I need my hands warm and able to move

But I could wear shorts down to 45, I just sometimes choose not too.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Not at 50 and sometimes not precisely at 45 which is why I said around 45 which is dependant on the wind chill which can sometimes get into to 30's and I am definitely not running in that without gloves.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wore gloves at 35F one time and I had to take them off my hands were hot.  But that was Miami 35F with 100% humidity.  The marathon I PRd at (in Ft. Lauderdale) had 42F and 20mph winds.  My hands even with the gloves were two icicles.

I ran in 7F in Chicago with gloves, no sweating.  I was sweating from the clothes but not on the hands.  Ha.

And that 35F in Miami was 4 years ago, back when we still had Winters.  Lowest now has been 67F.  Sigh.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'd wear shorts sleeves and gloves, and possibly arm warmers.  That's what I'll do if Philly has those temps (fingers crossed).

I was thinking sleeveless with arm warmers but not decided yet since the weather keeps showing up as 65F and that's too fucking hot for that!

Damaris

happylily

I dressed like a polar bear last Sunday in Toronto. I looked ridiculous.  But my clothes were hardly wet when I finished and I never felt the urge to lower my arm warmers. Meanwhile, all the elite women were in their little skimpy attire, showing off. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010