Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies: If you don't have something nice to say about the weather, don't say anything. (Read 43 times)

Just B.S.

Hike in the woods with pooch done now trying to warm

up with herbal tea .

ongrats Shari !

Great running Lily and Dave!

Has anyone here ever been to Austria? Found a Sept

marathon and although I would have enjoyed the hell out of a group trio to Italy, Austria was always the #1 choice for me.

Baboon

delicate flower

Bunch of running fools in today's dailies.  

<3

Hip Redux

Hike in the woods with pooch done now trying to warm

up with herbal tea .

ongrats Shari !

Great running Lily and Dave!

Has anyone here ever been to Austria? Found a Sept

marathon and although I would have enjoyed the hell out of a group trio to Italy, Austria was always the #1 choice for me.

I have!  We spent a week in Vienna!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't know how you (and Dave) can do 20 with no water. I did 16, with two breaks for at least a couple ounces of water, and I am still getting a dehydration headache now. They don't hit me until a few hours after a run, but if I don't get enough water during a long run, my head feels like it is being split later in the day.

I've never run in weather cold enough to do even 3 without water, haha.  Call me a camel.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have also been to Vienna.  Worth the trip and if the marathon is around the city, is very scenic as well.

Damaris

Just B.S.

I have!  We spent a week in Vienna!

Smile Was it fabulous?

My first thought is fly into Vienna spend a few days then head to marathon city (Wachau) then Salzburg (my

Must see city) then into Gemany or Switzerland.......that's as far as I have gotten Smile. Just found this race today and

Its the first one I have found that interests hubby and fits our time frame. Neither of us is interested

In big city mega marathon like Berlin.

Probably Germany because if our son ends up going school in Switzerland as he has been mentioning lately , we

Would likely visit if he is there for a year.

Hip Redux

Vienna was wonderful.  It's also very expensive but not unlike the rest of the EU (at least against the dollar!).   We stayed in the city mostly, and took in the museums, churches and various mansions.

My favorite part of Vienna was seeing Klimt's The Kiss.   Wow.

We split the time between Vienna and Prague.  I LOVED Prague.  Wayyyyyy cool city.  It's a short train ride from Vienna.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Just had a 2 and a  half hour nap...... and I am only getting up because I am hungry.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Just B.S.

Vienna was wonderful.  It's also very expensive but not unlike the rest of the EU (at least against the dollar!).   We stayed in the city mostly, and took in the museums, churches and various mansions.

My favorite part of Vienna was seeing Klimt's The Kiss.   Wow.

We split the time between Vienna and Prague.  I LOVED Prague.  Wayyyyyy cool city.  It's a short train ride from Vienna.

That's the kind of info I am after! Will do some research on Prague! Thanks.

I am a huge history buff and lover of castles and museums. Our tour guide in Ireland always

seemed surprised at how much I knew and I was always surprised how little other people knew.

I always research the heck out of my travel destinations.

Hip Redux

That's the kind of info I am after! Will do some research on Prague! Thanks.

I am a huge history buff and lover of castles and museums. Our tour guide in Ireland always

seemed surprised at how much I knew and I was always surprised how little other people knew.

I always research the heck out of my travel destinations.

You might like this then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Castle

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Castle  (actually called Schronbrunn Palace, but the umlaut seems to be giving the weblink some trouble...)

Yugo18

Hello, dailies.  I hope everyone has a great, relaxing weekend.  I ran easy 11 miles, enjoyed it, and now on to the rest of the free-time day!  Yay!

Vienna is a beautiful city, incredibly historically and culturally rich, and I second (third?) visiting all the museums and other landmarks.  I wanted to add that, with its most famous classical music past, going to the opera in Vienna is a magical and unforgettable experience.  I also somehow ended up with tickets to a ball (yes, like a real straight-up pre-20th century ball) and that was crazy and awesome.  Might be worth looking into.

outoftheblue

Zelanie -- Hope your pup figures out a way to "do business."  I have one dog that absolutely hates to be wet and she's gone almost 2 days without going during rainstorms.   She would probably would have gone even longer but i forceable take her out on the leash and keep walking with her until she relents.  She's finally figured out that its better to go as soon as take her out on the leash, then to spend half an hour out in the rain petitioning to go back inside.

Step -- Nice job on your race!  I'm with you on the water.  If I don't drink enough I get terrible headaches later on as well.

Life is good.

Just B.S.

You might like this then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Castle

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Castle  (actually called Schronbrunn Palace, but the umlaut seems to be giving the weblink some trouble...)

I actually know if it! OMG beautiful!

Yugo thamk you, Hubby usually goes along with whatever I dream up but pretty sure I would get resistance

With a ball! LOL

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sleep is over-rated, I keep telling myself that. 16+ miles is crazy and in this cold - blah lol. Here in a bit I am going to have a couple of shots of Jim Beam Hardcore Cider (yummy) and really get my arse kicked.

Kristin - Continued prayers. I'm sure just having family there will be a comfort and distraction for your cousin. It is good that you can be there for him.

FS - Congrats on a solid race after so many "warm-up" miles!

16+ miles on the day for me: 3+ pre-race, 5-mile race, and 8 more to finish it out. I am amazed that I only feel tired today, because DH & I had a GREAT night out with friends last night. Wine tasting (probably had the equivalent of 3 glasses there), then dinner, where between 6 of us we finished off three more bottles of wine. Didn't get home until nearly midnight, but I was up at 5:30, and made it to the race site to start my run by 7. This was the final race of a 3-part series. The first two I ran in 43:24 and 43:23, but I actually dropped more than a minute this time to finish in 42:06 - still only about :20 faster than my goal marathon pace for this spring, but as part of a long run, I'll take it.

Re: the weather? Something nice? It's above freezing now? Does that count? The windchill isn't, but the air temp is.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Beth, like Oski, I fell in love with Prague. I ran the marathon there but it's in May. I "think" there may be a half in the city in September. I have friends who live there, the man is a runner. I could ask him about races there if you want. Vienna is THE city I want to do on my next trip to Europe. Our neighbours visited there a few years ago and although they swore they would never set foot in either Germany and Austria (they are Jewish and lived through WWII in Holland), they had nothing but good things to say about Vienna. They love classical music, so that helped soften things up for them.

Shari, what a great running day for you! I don't remember ever being able to run extra miles after a race. It's like I shut down mentally. It takes a lot of will power to do what you did today! And you ran a great time to boot! Also no way I could drink wine like you did, go to bed at midnight and race early the next day. That's the difference between young and "mature". :-)

FreeSoul, congratulations! You are doing so well with your training! I can't wait to see you race this spring!

Dave, congratulations on your 20 miler! I've run a lot of LRs in the past 3 years, but I remember my first ones and I would most definitely stop AT LEAST 3 times to drink, pee and take a gel. It took me a couple of years before I stopped drinking and fueling. What you did today is no small feat.

Oski, congrats on your second fastest 7 miler since 2012! That's a great sign that you haven't lost much fitness despite the pain and having to cut down the miles. I hope you become totally pain free soon. I know how frustrating it must be for you.

Zelanie, power outages? Argh... Those suck... How many dogs do you have and how old are they? I wonder if they remember what winter is like when summer returns or if it's like something new to them every time snow and ice returns with winter. Dogs are awesome, but they can be dumb as well. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010