Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

Marie, sorry you have to join us here, but welcome Smile   We totally "get" where you're at!  Hopefully things will continue looking up for you - a nice track sounds like a great rehab plan.

obiebyke

Hey Marie! Welcome! Good to hear from you, since I'm struggling with what I think is runners knee, too. Congrats on running a little bit lately. Keep coming back!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

Hi Marie!  I was diagnosed with Patellar Tendonitis, too, but they told me it was "jumper's knee".  Mine also came on during my first half, and I finished injured and found myself pretty much unable to run afterward.  In my case, I was able to get rid of it completely with about 6 weeks of physical therapy.  In the mean time, I used McConnell taping to hold my kneecap in place when I ran- that completely stopped the pain.  I still do my exercises and use the experience as a reminder that I should never be too busy to cross-train.

Thanks for the  welcome, everyone!  I live south of Philadelphia right on the PA/DE border and we had some heavy snow on Friday and today we got rain which totally iced the roads.  So my plan to try another 1.5 miles at the track is postponed.  I do have a Y membership but can not do the TM.  Today I will probably go swimming.

Zelanie - My SIL who is a PT recommended "brown tape", which is probably the tape in the video.  Do you still tap your knee before you run?  Does the tape sweat off?  Where do you get the tape at?  I would like to try this. So tired of Velcro road rash from my chopat straps!

Nevrgivup - Did you BQ? That is awesome!

Marie

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Marie (I was almost going to type "Frances" and, well, I'm still waking up so....) 

Anyway, I hope you're back soon as well.  I will tell you this (and hopefully this give you hope)......my left knee happened to hurt after a long run and for no really good reason.  In fact, the part that scared me the most was that for about 2 months, it literally gave me a sharp pain down the outer left side of the kneecap whenever I stepped weird.  (Scared the crap outta me).

Since then, that pain has gone away.  I feel general ache in both knees at times and I honestly think that has more to do with NOT running than anything else which is a little weird but my left knee now feels very strong.  I started riding about a month ago, got a new bike a couple weeks ago and have been slowly moving up from 5 mile, to 7, then 12, up to 14 mile rides and I'm literally riding *almost* every day.  (I do free weights and/or calisthenics on off days).  I have become very strong and feeling much better.

What I'm saying is I was VERY surprised to see that sharp pain go away because, again, it took at least 2 months for it to happen.  I thought for sure I tore something and there was no hope.  So if you can stay off the running part and do a long stint of running rest (swim, bike, etc.) I think you will experience the same.  Lesson learned to me is........SOMETIMES THE SOFT TISSUE HEALING CAN TAKE EVEN LONGER THAN A BROKEN BONE!!

P.S.  I've been complaining here about not finding a place to swim which my docs have advocated emphatically to me......well......I noticed the local Y (the only one in my area with a pool....outdoor, no less) had the cover off their pool with 1 person swimming in it.  I REALLY hope it's heated but I'm seriously considering hitting them up.  You're furthering inspiring me to do so, so thanks for that! 

Randy

Zelanie

The "brown tape" is Leukotape, and it is awesome!  The adhesive is apparently so strong that it's not supposed to go directly onto your skin, so you put a loose strip of "cover roll" down first, and the leukotape on top of that.  You should be able to google Leukotape and Cover Roll and pull up a combo pack for sale.  I also found that I didn't need quite as many layers as they have in the video.  The main thing, for me, was to hold the kneecap to the inside by taping it to the flabby bit of skin on the inside of my thigh.  If you get an ugly crease, you're doing it right.  For what it's worth, the patella strap never did any good for me.

I haven't had to run with tape for 5 months now, and that includes several races and all-time high mileage weeks.  I think what happened was that the tape helped support my knee until the exercises (mostly hip and quad) had a chance to work their long-term-fix magic.

The tape mostly stayed in place through everything.  There were a few very hot days in July when I would sweat it off partway through the run, but that was when I was running 6ish miles and it was in the 80s at least.  Even then, I think that only happened twice.  Plus, since I was already partway through the run, I still ended up only running a couple of miles without the support.

Once I was feeling good, I started leaving the tape off for the shorter runs, then ditched it altogether when I was sure the pain wasn't coming back.

Thanks for the  welcome, everyone!  I live south of Philadelphia right on the PA/DE border and we had some heavy snow on Friday and today we got rain which totally iced the roads.  So my plan to try another 1.5 miles at the track is postponed.  I do have a Y membership but can not do the TM.  Today I will probably go swimming.

Zelanie - My SIL who is a PT recommended "brown tape", which is probably the tape in the video.  Do you still tap your knee before you run?  Does the tape sweat off?  Where do you get the tape at?  I would like to try this. So tired of Velcro road rash from my chopat straps!

Nevrgivup

I did not BQ. I have volunteered for the last 3 years and was granted an invitational entry via an essay I submitted about the experience I had in the medical tent this past April. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hello Marie! Welcome! Sorry you're injured, but you have come to a place where you can feel free to whine and vent.

I got to do the stationary bike at the gym today! It felt amazing to get some cardio in and blood pumping to my muscles! That was the happiest I've felt in a long time! I am going to try a spin class tomorrow morning I think because the bike felt fine. I will tell the instructor I am injured and may not be able to do everything she tells us to if I feel like it;s too much for me. But I really enjoy spin class, I discovered it a year ago when I had ITBS and couldn't run because it hurt too much but could do spin and elliptical. I continued to do spin class as crosstraining once a week after I resumed running from the ITBS, but kind of stopped going after I resumed a more rigorous running schedule. Looking forward to going tomorrow!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

Great, Kristin!

I like to spin too!  (we have a spin bike in our living room 24/7 lol)  My only suggestion with the spin class would be to stay seated - probably too much to put full weight on your feet, otherwise you should be able to do the rest of it!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Great, Kristin!

I like to spin too!  (we have a spin bike in our living room 24/7 lol)  My only suggestion with the spin class would be to stay seated - probably too much to put full weight on your feet, otherwise you should be able to do the rest of it!

I was thinking that actually....telling the instructor that I probably was going to do the whole class seated.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

LRB

Then when I started following my favorite threads, my comrades there didn't really get where I was at.  So I am so glad I found this forum!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Marie

We aim to please, and you are welcome.  That will be $272.67.   

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Dang........I went to the Y with the pool today.  While they do keep it heated & the place is certainly less crowded than the local gyms, my jaw dropped a little at their prices.

$60 one-time membership fee

$31/month for ages 22-54.  (Whaooaa???) 

$9/day if you choose to just use daily (3 days in the month & you're practically there) 

Granted the L.A. fitness & 24 hours fitness are $99 down and $30/month but I was still just a bit surprised.  That's some real money.  Not exactly the "Y" I remember it to be.  Maybe I'm stuck in the 80's? 

Randy

LRB

Dang........I went to the Y with the pool today.  While they do keep it heated & the place is certainly less crowded than the local gyms, my jaw dropped a little at their prices.

The $9 daily (It is $10 here) worked for me as I only went once or twice a month.  But even if I went more, I like being free and not having a commitment.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Redrum I used to belong to a Y that didn't have a pool and it had a joiner's fee that I believe was comparable but I joined during a promotion that was waived, then it was $35/ month. The JCC where I found a pool is basically a Y just not a YMCA it's a YM-YWHA (Young Mens and Young Womens Hebrew Association as opposed to Young Men's Christian Association) is $31/month and a $50 joiner's fee or $12/day so almost the same.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

The $9 daily (It is $10 here) worked for me as I only went once or twice a month.  But even if I went more, I like being free and not having a commitment.

I can see that.  Though what were you doing only once or twice a month??  (Pickin up chicks?) 

Seriously, though, maybe I'll ask if they ever do a promo cuz otherwise, it'd almost be the same as joining a 24hr fitness where I could hit the pool at my convenience vs a scheduled group of time blocks.

Hmmmm.......gotta think on this one.

Or just commit to freezing my gnads off & go to the in-laws & swim in their unheated pool in the middle of January.  

Randy