Beginners and Beyond

My Boston 2014 RR (Read 77 times)

TL;DR summary:

Net Time:           2:52:46

Overall:              1210/31931

In Gender:          1144/17575 (Male)

In Division:          65/2919 (M45-49 Age Group)

RunJasonRun version:

Arrived in Boston Friday night and woke up early Saturday as my wife was running the BAA 5K. Huge race – 10,000 or so runners. I took a spot at the 3 mile mark to watch with my friend’s girlfriend as he was running also. We amused ourselves by listening to the splits of the elites and wondering if they would finish before the last person crossed the start line.

They did.  As the back of the pack was crossing the start/finish line on the left side, Dejen Gebremeskel beat Ben True in a photo finish with a time of 13:26 on the right side. Molly Huddle put the the hammer down with about .2 to go and won the women’s race in 15:12.

After that we went to the expo and I got my race packet and we walked around a bit. It got hard to move with all the people so we saw what we wanted to see, bought what we wanted to buy and got out of there.

We spent some time walking around Boylston and stopping at the sites of the two bombs. It was a little sobering to think about what had happened just a year ago. We also went past the Old South Church and one of the coolest things was happening. A couple of members decided a few weeks back to knit some scarves to give to runners. They made a facebook page and the Marathon Scarf Project went global. They received over 7000 scarves from 49 states and 10 countries to pass out this weekend to those running the marathon. All were blue and yellow and no two were alike. Yes I was wearing my 2013 jacket.

We then went across the street to go through the memorial exhibit in the public library. They were displaying a number of items left in Copley Square last year. It was very moving.

I needed to clear my head so we went back to the hotel and I went on a run along the Charles River, showered up and headed out for a nice dinner with some friends.

Sunday morning I got up and did a slow 25 minute shake out run and we did a little shopping. I didn’t want to be on my feet all day so after lunch I lounged in the hotel room watching the Bruins-Wings hockey game. We met up with a group of friends for dinner and before you know it was time get to bed.

Race day:

Woke up before my alarm like I usually do and got dressed. Turned on the TV to get the forecast and it looked like I was going to be running when the temps were mainly in the 50’s and creeping into the low 60’s at my finish. I’m o.k. with that.

With the new “no gear bag at the start” policy I was happy that it was decent weather even though I managed to weasel on to a run club coach bus again this year. I wore an old hoodie and sweat pants over my race outfit:  Brooks red singlet, Asics red split shorts, compression socks, Nike LunaRacer +3 shoes (I love this shoe for racing), Garmin, sunglasses, throwaway cotton gloves, and throwaway arm sleeves made from old socks .

It always feels to me like we drive 50 miles out to Hopkinton and I tried to shut my eyes and catch some sleep but manage to just stare out the window and think about the race. When we pulled in to the school the first clue that things were different was the very increased, very visible police and military presence. We rolled past a Vermont state police bomb squad van and parked in a back lot reserved for coaches which was a block from the athlete’s village at the high school. I stayed on the bus except to use the port-o-potty. Two helicopters were constantly circling above and about 8:30 I made my way to the village.

For those that care my breakfast was:   2 bananas, 2 granola bars, Gatorade, three bites of a bagel, and 2 Hawaiian bread rolls. I had one Gu 30 minutes prior to race and 2 Immodium AD pills one hour before race. I made three bathroom stops between 7:30 and 9:30. Timing was perfect this year.

We had to go through a checkpoint to get out of our parking lot and were scanned with metal detectors. As I walked up to the village along a sidewalk lined with National Guardsman I saw a number of policemen on the roof of the high school with binoculars scanning everywhere.  It was clear they wanted people to see the security presence. The village was jammed with people. Just packed and I’m glad I was only in there for about 10 minutes before they released those of use in wave 1 at 9:05. I discarded my pants and started the long walk down to the start line.

I stopped for a last bathroom break and entered my corral just a few minutes before the national anthem and introduction of the elite men. And just like that the gun went off and the race was on.

Here were my race goals this year:

“A” goal:    Overall PR (sub-2:55:08 from Twin Cities in 2011)     
    “B” goal:    Course PR (2:58:21 from last year)

At the beginning of the year I had aspirations of going for a sub-2:50. I was feeling really good coming off last fall and was ready to put in a big training cycle when one day my left hip starting hurting. It would feel better as it warmed up when I ran so of course I just ignored it. And then in February there was pain in my left hamstring and once in a while my quad. I decided to go see a doctor. Basically my left side is/was weaker than my right so I started being much more diligent about stretching, rolling, and doing some exercises she gave me. While it improved over time it impacted the volume of miles I wanted to do and so in March I adjusted my goals.

My Race:

5K split:        20:25  - these are official splits from the race
    Mile splits 1-3:      6:39, 6:32, 6:27 - these splits are from my Garmin

Starting in corral 4 there were more runners in front of me this year. I wanted to go out at 6:35/mile for the first 5K but I did get a little quick during mile three. I did have to weave around a few more runners than I remember in the past but not too bad. Hit my 5K split right about spot on. I also shed my gloves and arm sleeves by mile 3 as I could tell it was a bit warmer than last year. And no clouds in the sky to help block the sun.

10K split:    40:38       (20:13  5K)
    Mile splits 4-6       6:25, 6:30, 6:25

I had decided before the race that after the first 5K I wanted to try and pick it up and run 6:30’s to the hills of Newton (mile 16). I settled in and started taking in the race. The nice thing about having run this before is that I knew what to expect from the course. And at this point I could already tell that the crowds were going to be bigger than ever.  I took Gatorade at miles 1, 2 and 4 and water at mile 6. 

15K split:    1:00:50   (20:12  5K)
    Mile splits 7-9       6:25, 6:34, 6:27

I continued on pace through this section and had a Gu (Chocolate Outrage) at mile 8 with water. I also moved to the right side of the course to get in on some shade from the buildings through downtown Framingham. I was happy at the point where I remembered I stopped to pee last year and realized that wasn't going to happen this year.

20K split:    1:21:00   (20:10  5K)
    Mile splits 10-12       6:33, 6:28, 6:22

It was in this section when I started to wonder if my legs were going to stay with me. I’m breathing fine and not laboring but it just feels like something is off. I concentrate on pace and spotted a friend from MN ahead of me. He had started in corral 3 and I gradually caught up with him and we ran together for about a ½ mile. We exchanged pleasantries but I had a little more aggressive goal today so I move on. That was a nice diversion though.

25K split:    1:41:09   (20:09  5K)                  Half split:        1:25:21            
    Mile splits 13-15       6:22, 6:30, 6:32

Natick is packed with people. Overall this had to have been the largest crowd to watch a Boston marathon. The Wellesley gals are once again out in full force and this year they have hundreds of signs taped to the guard rail on the left side of the roads as well. Always one of the loudest spots on the course and it helps as I still feel a little off. Hard to explain as I am staying on pace. Maybe I'm just going nuts. As I pass the 25K clock and the Half clock in downtown Wellesley I see that I am actually a little ahead of where I wanted to be. The hills are coming and I am happy with being able to have a little more cushion. I am taking a little water at each stop and for the first time grab a cup to dump on my head.

30K split:    2:01:47   (20:38  5K)

Mile splits 16-19       6:23, 6:34, 6:42, 6:38

Hitting mile 16 I’m pretty pleased knowing that I’ve done the past 13 miles in just under 6:30/mile pace. Big positive for me mentally. I’ve got a little different plan for the hills this year and that is to slow down a little more going up and use the downhills to reclaim some time. In the past I think I’ve tried to go a little too hard up and then just use the down to recover. The first hill goes by quickly and I’m feeling good. The second hill is the one that got me last year and I’m focused on that. Much better this year and as I crest the top I make sure I pick it up on the downhill into the mile 19 clock. I am pretty much alternating water and Gatorade at the stops now. I notice the Gatorade has been mixed a little strong so a couple times I have grabbed a water as well.

35K split:    2:22:49   (21:02  5K)
    Mile splits 20-22       6:47, 6:51, 6:33

The third hill looms and up we go. It was during this climb I started feeling like I was much stronger than last year. In fact I’m actually feeling pretty good. I remind myself that anything can happen and I press on. I use the flat around mile 20 to settle down a bit and then it is up Heartbreak Hill. I passed about 6-8 runners in the first half of the hill and I’m sensing things are going pretty damn good. As I hit the top I really concentrate on using the big downhill and my mile 22 split shows it. This is much different than last year and I pick up over 30 seconds during this 5K in comparison. A year ago my quads were begging to stop but not today. They are definitely sore but it is different this year. Much better.

40K split:    2:43:45   (20:56  5K)
    Mile splits 23-25       6:40, 6:37, 6:43

And this 5K was almost 40 seconds faster than last year. I can’t believe how much better the last 10 miles of this race have felt compared to last year. Weird considering the first half of this race I didn't feel that way. I am now passing more runners and the crowds are larger than I can remember. I really wanted to run well today for many reasons and I’m doing it. Mentally my mindset is "finish strong" compared to "just hang on" from last year. And then for some reason, during this stretch, Martin Richard’s face pops into my head. I can’t help but think about everything this day is about.

Finish

Mile 26:           6:24  (finished at 6:06/mile pace down the stretch)

I see the Citgo sign and am cruising. My legs just start to go and Commonwealth is crazy with people cheering. Both sides of the road are packed and it looks like a tunnel as I approach the right on Hereford. I see my wife and friends in the their usual spot on the corner but this year they are surrounded by dozens more people. I wave and hit the up slope to Boylston. When I turn left on to Boylston I can’t help but get a little emotional. It is so loud, there are so many people and the memories of what happened on this street last year and the fact that at this point I know I have a big PR that well….I just can’t help it. A number of times I turn a little to the crowd and clap back at them. It is just a very cool scene.

And I cross the finish line in 2:52:46

PR by 2:22

And a sunburned right shoulder as I completely whiffed on putting on any sunscreen.

Thank you for a great weekend Boston. You came back bigger and better than ever.

DavePNW

Congrats again on a tremendous race Fuzzy.

What a time to come up big.

Dave

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thank you Fuzzy.  I hope you realize how connected this makes us mid-packer runners feel with the speedier folks.  I am so glad you experienced the emotions and good vibes that were well deserved.  They came through you RR so thanks.

Your photo from last year still is the best running picture evah.

B-Plus

Congrats Fuzzy and thanks for sharing. The way you described your race and the course make me even more eager to go next year.

LRB

Your photo from last year still is the best running picture evah.

The one with the flag in the background?  Oh yeah!

Nice race Fuzzy but even nicer race report.  Smooth and easy!

What's next?

workinprogress11

That's great that it all came together for you so well.  Congratulations on the PR!  I loved your description of running the hills as that concept is foreign to me coming from somewhere completely flat. I want to know too...what's next?

Love the Half

What?  It was warm and you didn't blow up?  That can't be right.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nice report, Fuzzy.

Congrats on a very strong race and on the PR especially, heck of a day for it.

Last year, the crowds were unbelievable, but you're right, they outdid that by leaps and bounds this year.  So awesome that you were able to open it up and kick it in hard down the home stretch.  I'm happy for everyone who got to be part of that on *our* day, a day of celebration, unmarred by tragedy, the way it should be.

happylily

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your special journey. (ok, that was a joke. I know how you hate that word. lol...)

Boston graced us last year, and you graced Boston this year. You did fantastic, Fuzzy. And you look a hell of a lot better than Richard Simmons.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Ric-G

great race...great report....great result...congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow... those memorials must have been powerful. The scarf? Too much.

That is one hell of a race. To PR like that is great. What a great trip you guys had.  I hope you able to enjoy the atmosphere and the incredible emotions of the race and the crowd. In order to PR like that I would think most people would have to be completely dialed in mentally, but it sounds like you were on cruise control the entire way.

Great race, Fuzzy.

GinnyinPA

What an awesome race experience for you.  Congratulations.  Thank you for bringing it to life for the rest of us.

runwell3

Congratulations Fuzzy on an incredible race!  Your huge pr was the perfect way to honor the spirit of the entire weekend & year of healing.  Your race reports are as awesome as your running and i always learn a lot from them, thanks for sharing your experience.

Your paces through the Newton hills barely fall off at all...i gave back so much time there that it was just too easy to give up hope for a good (for me) finish time.  It seems that i work much harder, but go much slower.  How much do you ease up on the uphills?

Anyway, congratulations again.  It was a privilege & an honor to have run behind such amazing athletes on a day that i'll never forget.  (still smiling)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats, again, Fuzzy!  Great performance!  Thank you for sharing your experience at the race. Made me wish I was there.

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

Great job Fuzzy!  Congrats on an outstanding race and PR!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!