Beginners and Beyond

Why do so many runners frown upon the TM? (Read 237 times)

LRB

You must still be hungry, because you ate the half this time.

Docket_Rocket

Damn it. I need coffee!

Either that or I'm a TM elite athlete.

You must still be hungry, because you ate the half this time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nevrgivup

Thanks for all your thoughtful responses.  After reading through this, I realized how silly I am to care what other people think. If they have something to say than they aren't worth my time anyway.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

YAYpril - B-Plus

A coworker of mine runs sometimes - he's finished 2 HMs. He seriously frowns upon the treadmill and refers to it as "not real running." Screw him - I'd rather run on the TM than not run at all. I don't love it but I watch Netflix on my phone so I stay moderately occupied. I need to use one tonight because it will just be too cold for me (I have lots of cold gear but no face protection). Tonight is 7 miles with hills, so at least I'll get to push a lot of buttons to keep it interesting.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

For me, the treadmill is exceedingly boring. Yes, I can immerse myself in television while I run. Yes, when the weather stinks, I use the TM. Yes, it's convenient and doesn't require a road trip. But given the choice, I'd much prefer running outdoors.

So, I use the TM, but I prefer outside running.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I cannot stand the TM but I think I am going to make myself learn to like it. I am having a really tough time getting over ITBS, so it is probably a good idea to do a little tredmill running when I am able to tolerate running again....softer surface, no camber, can elliminate hills completely. It would also allow me to do only a few mins of running, then do something else that won't irritate the ITB as much and get a full workout in. Whereas getting all bundled up in winter running layers to go outside for a run that will probably be less than a mile would be a huge pain in the ass and I'd spend more time getting ready than actually running. I'm in no position to EVER criticize how anyone chooses to run. I think it's great if someone is runnibg...outside or the TM. My gym has an individual TV on each TM so maybe with a show to watch it won't be so bad.... we'll see.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mmmmm...beer

I don't care for running on them, but sometimes you have to (like when I'm out on a ship, or in a hotel and it's over 100* outside).  I'm looking to pick one up to keep in the garage, with a tv on the wall it shouldn't be too bad.  It'll be handy for when the weather is really nasty.

Last week I was able to run for an hour on a tm without music, just staring at the wall.  Can't say it was the most enjoyable experience I've ever had, but at least I got the miles in.

I certainly would never look down on anyone for exclusively training on a tm.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Pfffttt.  I run in that outside all the time.  Just Do It!

I don't care for running on them, but sometimes you have to (like when I'm out on a ship, or in a hotel and it's over 100* outside).  I'm looking to pick one up to keep in the garage, with a tv on the wall it shouldn't be too bad.  It'll be handy for when the weather is really nasty.

Last week I was able to run for an hour on a tm without music, just staring at the wall.  Can't say it was the most enjoyable experience I've ever had, but at least I got the miles in.

I certainly would never look down on anyone for exclusively training on a tm.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

TM running fits my personality. I like being in control and giving a purpose to each one of my runs. My TM allows me to do that. I have raced in many many different environments and types of weather and have mostly done well enough so far. I can't say that TM training has really had any negative effect on me, if not for the fact that it has made me 100% batshit crazy in the head. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Butter Tart

I hate running on treadmills.  To me, it's boring & tortuous and I will not do it.  I see treadmill running as being a different activity from outdoor running.  To me, the treadmill is to running what the stationary exercise bike is to riding a bike outdoors.

That said, I don't fault anyone for running on a treadmill.  If you enjoy it, you should do it no matter what anyone thinks.

I agree with this 100%. For me it feels nothing like what running outside feels like, it's a different activity altogether. When I finish a run on a treadmill I don't feel like I've "gone for a run", just like a stationary bike doesn't feel like "going for a bike ride".  The only reason I can occasionally make myself tolerate it is because it will keep me in "running shape" so that I stay fit for what I really want to do, which is run outside.

Docket_Rocket

That's how I feel.  Especially since the TM is so easy as compared to my outside conditions I don't feel like I've pushed at all.

I agree with this 100%. For me it feels nothing like what running outside feels like, it's a different activity altogether. When I finish a run on a treadmill I don't feel like I've "gone for a run", just like a stationary bike doesn't feel like "going for a bike ride".  The only reason I can occasionally make myself tolerate it is because it will keep me in "running shape" so that I stay fit for what I really want to do, which is run outside.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Damn it. I need coffee!

Either that or I'm a TM elite athlete.

I love that gourds TM elite!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

How does autocorrect make "you're" gourds!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

MrNamtor

I can't say that TM training has really had any negative effect on me, if not for the fact that it has made me 100% batshit crazy in the head. Big grin

LOL. I don't even have that excuse.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Bwahahaha!!

How does autocorrect make "you're" gourds!