Beginners and Beyond

IT Band Strap (Read 402 times)

runmomto3boys

I've been dealing with IT band issues for a couple of weeks now, although I think I am finally turning a corner b/c I am starting to string together some decent runs.  Anyway, my PT suggested an IT band strap and mine should arrive today.  If you used one in the past, did it offer you any relief?  I feel like it might be annoying to wear, but I am not sure b/c I don't have it yet.  Let me know what your experience was!  Thanks!

Oh, this is what the one I bought looks like:

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hope it works for you, Heidi.

delicate flower

I bought one when my ITB was acting up, but I ended up returning it unused.  I decided to just let the ITB heal and get strong.  I didn't want to have to depend on the strap.  Knock on wood, once it healed I have not had a problem since (going on a year now).

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I heard some people like it and some people hate it.  Hope it works for you.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That is another point.  ITB happens due to an underlying issue.  Find the underlying issue, and the ITB goes away.

I bought one when my ITB was acting up, but I ended up returning it unused.  I decided to just let the ITB heal and get strong.  I didn't want to have to depend on the strap.  Knock on wood, once it healed I have not had a problem since (going on a year now).

Damaris

I have had excellent luck with IT Band straps.  They are not a cure-all - I still have to modify my training (i.e. reduce running, stretch, etc).  But with the IT band strap, I can continue running versus my IT band eventually locking up so badly I can't run through it.

delicate flower

That is another point.  ITB happens due to an underlying issue.  Find the underlying issue, and the ITB goes away.

For me, I just overdid.  A ski vacation mixed into heavy marathon training was too much for my ITB to handle (I was a noob runner).  Backing off for two weeks fixed the ITB.

<3

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I have a friend who swears by it, but have heard others thought it made no difference. I think you'll hear mixed opinions. It's worth a try.

runmomto3boys

I have that taken care of (I've been to PT for it).

runmomto3boys

I have had excellent luck with IT Band straps.  They are not a cure-all - I still have to modify my training (i.e. reduce running, stretch, etc).  But with the IT band strap, I can continue running versus my IT band eventually locking up so badly I can't run through it.

THAT is what I wanted to hear - especially from someone who runs as many miles as you do.  Yay!  I am hoping I am through the locking up stage, but we'll see tonight.  Thanks a bunch!

Jerry: Thanks!

Phil: I appreciate hearing your experience!

Flippy: Thanks!

I have used it in the past and agree with everyone that it's not a cure. You're sort of just delaying your rehab by running with an ITBS injury. Take some time off, work on your core, figure out what the issue is.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I always have a chuckle at the guys that wear one on each knee, one on each elbow, sweat bands on their forearms and head.

Yes... I have seen that more than once.

Misty

I have that same strap! I was having some mild IT band problems back in April and it really helped me run more comfortably.

Misty

Bless your heart.

xor

I have that taken care of (I've been to PT for it).

What did he/she decide the issue is? And what are you doing?

Add me to the list of people who said "eek", and honestly.... welcome to the side effect of going from "March, 0" to high mileage and marathoning so quickly.  You will get through it and you are doing the right things.  Fingers crossed.

bluerun

Super B****

I swear by those.

They don't help if it's REALLY bad, but I feel like it does help prevent it from getting to that point.  (And yeah, it can get annoying sometimes... but I'd rather be a little annoyed than in excruciating pain.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog