Beginners and Beyond

A Long Penguin Weekend (Read 25 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Got 5 done give or take. I got iFit setup on my TM and did some sample runs. A couple in Paris, dome in Boston, one on the California coast, a couple of hilly miles in Utah, and finally a half in the English countryside.

If your interested in iFit and your TM has it they have a black friday special this weekend.

1-Yr iFit Membership $64 $99

Use Promo Code: BLACKFRIDAY

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sounds like fun PAD.  Do they have one to run with elite maraton runners?

3 for us this morning.  Holiday run streak #3.  Holiday decorating streak day #2.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Day 12 of the streak, day 1 of low HR training, 8.5 miles in the books. It took some time to get into a rhythm but once I did, I felt like I could keep going forever, so that was really nice. Didn't realize until mile 7 that I could toggle the screen on my Garmin to display my HR instead of listening for the alert that's set a few beats too high, so most of my run was still a higher HR than I should be running at, but I'll get the hang of it soon hopefully.

Yo D - joining the Maffers group now, I will let them know that you can vouch for me!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! On our way to Cocoa for the expo, carboloading and some sightseeing.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Happy Saturday Pens!

Just did a 1.3 mile "streak" run around the park by my apartment.

D- what race are you doing?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I am still in Washington State.  My Turkey Trot 5K report and photos are on the front page somewhere.   Took Friday off, recovering from all the beer and drink and food my favorite brother-in-law and I enjoyed on the holiday.   Saturday I woke up at 6:30 a.m. to a temp of 27 degrees with a 'feels like" temp of 19.    Nevertheless, got my gear on, went down to the river trail and got in 3.2 miles.  That flippin' wind was blowing like crazy off the river.  AND...it started snowing on me!  How rude of Mother Nature!    Well, I still prefer warm weather running, but I must say this was quite an 'exhilarating' run...felt like I was back in Ohio.  I was tempted to go a bit farther but I am not anymore the experienced "winter runner" like I was back in Ohio, so I felt 3 miles was quite adequate for this Texas runner who has not been in snow for about 20 years, better safe than sorry.    I did take some photos along the way and one nice lady took one of me with a bit of snow on my shirt and hat.  I will post those after I get back home next week, my in-laws' computer has some 'photo' issues apparently...it took me FOREVER to get my turkey trot report posted last night.  So I will just wait till I get home to post any more photos.

Meanwhile....3.2 miles done in some real winter cold.  All you 'real winter" people would've been so proud, seeing me out there holding my own against Old Man Wiinter.  I dunno about tomorrow though....the temp is dropping even MORE tonite.  Tomorrow morning a high of 15 degrees at 8 a.m., WTH?    I shall see tomorrow morning when I wake up if I am willing to get out in THAT!!  And the weather guy said today the snow would only be 'flurries" and then clearing skies.  Bu guess what? It's STILL snowing, 3 hours after I finished my run!  So obviously this local weather guy is an idiot.   But I shall deal, I shall deal...only a few more days and I will be back in the San Antonio sunshine.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Hey everyone. Finally back in Oregon, about 4 hours from home. I stopped at my favorite breakfast place. Luckily I ran 6 last night and 6 this morning on the hotel TM.  I am really thinking of getting a TM for this winter. Not that we have space for it, but maybe the garage would work? The ifit sounds fun though.

Photo of my FE with Jack is in yesterday's thread for those who haven't seen it.

PAD- Nice run! I was picturing you running all of those in the same morning. Smile

Food is here, catch you all later!

GinnyinPA

PAD - my TM has ifit capability, but I've never tried to figure out how it works.  Sounds like fun. I just put trail videos on the vcr when I'm in the mood to escape the basement.

Jerry - do you do a massive house and yard decoration scheme?  Do your neighbors drive by to see what you've done?  We have one neighbor whose house is worth a visit, and when we lived in MD there were a couple of areas we loved to drive by at Christmas to admire all the hard work.

Lauren - keep us posted on whether you like the low HR training.

Damaris - good luck at the race tomorrow.  Is there a half for your husband to run too?  Is he planning to do marathons soon?

sapf - I take it it's cold where you live?  Good job getting your mile in.

Scotty - even for those of us who live in colder climates, that sounds COLD.  Good job getting out and burning off some of the turkey and beer.

Melanie - loved the picture of you and Jack.  I hope your trip went well otherwise.

AFM:  Day 7 of my Holiday streak.  We woke to fresh snow again this morning, so we went to the county park with its nice paved trails and did 4.36 miles.  Still sore from the race, but by mile two, the worst was gone, though I still felt the hamstrings/glutes. Time to try Epsom salts, I think.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Nothing for me on Saturday.  Plan to get in a few miles Sunday morning and a planned penguin FE for Sunday afternoon ;-)

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Space Coast Marathon. Hubby is doing the HM. He will never do a full, allegedly.

Damaris

Worn slick here. Started the day with an early 3 mile run before hosting a houseful. Fed over 30 family members for our Thanksgiving dinner coupled with my dad's 90th birthday celebration. Crowd is lingering through the first half of tomorrow. Looking forward to a nap afterward and then an eight mile run.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Robert31320

Team TJ

3.3 Sunday morning miles done.

Now some breakfast, a shower, church, and FE later,

Running for TJ because he can't.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry - do you do a massive house and yard decoration scheme?  Do your neighbors drive by to see what you've done?  We have one neighbor whose house is worth a visit, and when we lived in MD there were a couple of areas we loved to drive by at Christmas to admire all the hard work.

Unfortunately, not a massive house, just tons of stuff inside the house.  We hardly put anything outside, except I put red and green bulbs in the garage lights.  We still have more to set up today.  

We are going to try a LR this morning, but the cold front is coming through so it might be a short run.

From the Internet.

Ugh. Shin was tender yesterday afternoon. I assume it's run streak plus different stress on the legs from running so much slower than I'm used to yesterday. Undecided right now as to whether I should go out for 1 mile later just to keep the streak going or break the streak already and take the day totally off (which would be my preference with a cranky shin).