Beginners and Beyond

Soaked Penguin's ToosDAILY (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The university I work for is probably going to be crazy-crowded on Friday with this public release coming out...

Michelle Obama will speak at San Antonio's College Signing Day - SAN ANTONIO, Texas (KXAN) — Michelle Obama will be in San Antonio on Friday to speak at the fourth annual College Signing Day at the University of Texas at San Antonio. College Signing day is part of Destination College, a week-long event with free things to do around the city that Mayor Julian Castro started to attract more college students to San Antonio. The First Lady will talk to young student’s about the President’s ‘North Star’ education goal while she’s in Texas, a program which aims to make the U.S. the country with the most college graduates in the world again by 2020. Michelle Obama will ask people across the country to join the North Star movement on Friday, May 2 by sharing photos of themselves in college apparel on social media using the #ReachHigher hashtag. http://kxan.com/2014/04/28/michelle-obama-will-speak-at-san-antonios-college-signing-day/

Crowds, traffic, security....might be a good day to call in sick.... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Oh yes, and please southern people stay safe, and let us know any info you get on other penguins that are in the storms path.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

Yes, that kind if destruction is terrible to see, even on TV, and much worse when you are there in person.  I feel for you, Mitch, and for the victims.  I never want to go through that scenario again.

Scotty, seeing it first hand puts a whole new perspective on things. One of my coworkers lost his home in 2011. A bunch of us went over to help him "clean up" a little. He asked us to look for anything that appeared to have some value. Standing in the pile of rubble, I managed to find nothing. Trying to find stuff like a picture, a fork, or little what knots that you would have sitting on a bookshelf, were nowhere to be seen. It was literally building debris like 2x4's, busted up pieces of furniture, shingles, insulation, etc. , and everything was splattered with mud and sticks.

Another really odd thing that I seen, was an entire house, that was still in tact, but was picked up and moved about 2 feet. You had to really look at it closely to notice that something was wrong. There was no exterior damage what so ever.....weirdest thing!

hog4life

Cherie, wasn't it Joplin that was hit so hard? That was 2011 too, right?  I grew up real close to the boot heel, and I agree, the SW part has been getting hammered just like central Arkansas. When I was growing up in Arkansas, we rarely heard about a tornado, now, it's like how many this time?

On the subject of storms, and I think I mentioned it in 2011, but my employer has teamed up with a storm shelter provider to give us a big discount. But the best thing, is that my employer will do 100% financing with no interest and do payroll deduct for one year. I looked at them in 2011, and due to me being $$ tight, I had to pass, but maybe now I can revisit the offer. We make some of the steel that is used in the production of these storm units.

SheCan

Cherie, wasn't it Joplin that was hit so hard? That was 2011 too, right?  I grew up real close to the boot heel, and I agree, the SW part has been getting hammered just like central Arkansas. When I was growing up in Arkansas, we rarely heard about a tornado, now, it's like how many this time?

On the subject of storms, and I think I mentioned it in 2011, but my employer has teamed up with a storm shelter provider to give us a big discount. But the best thing, is that my employer will do 100% financing with no interest and do payroll deduct for one year. I looked at them in 2011, and due to me being $$ tight, I had to pass, but maybe now I can revisit the offer. We make some of the steel that is used in the production of these storm units.

Yes, 2011, Mitch.  My hometown is about 20 miles from there.  Joplin was the big news maker, because it was so extensive, but all the small towns around there had terrible damage, and really every year the tornadoes come through.  Those storm shelters are going up all over that area.  My parents, cousins, siblings all put them in just in case.  As much as the south gets them now, you really should, if you can possibly afford one, especially with your employer making it so easy to finance.  Gotta say, its really nice to hear about a company that does something like this for their employees.   That really is awesome.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, maybe FLOTUS will go on a run with you   !!!!

Never got close to 70F in Chicago and its raining and the knee is sore, so I'm postponing the run until tomorrow.  Maybe I will take a walk.  4 miles for Mrs Jerry.

DR, if you go to the Marlins game you can FE with DD and her inlaws   !!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Check this photo out.  A friend of mine, who also did the Fiesta run on Saturday, too this photo.  Check the guy on the left out, with the Sombrero in front of him.  He actually wore a  pair of Speedos but covered up the front with the sombrero to make it look like he was streaking and then his friend in police costume (you can see her in white shirt behind him) 'chased' him the whole way.  They were very popular with the crowd and got a lot of laughs and applause.

Photo: Check out the dude on the left that looks like he is only wearing a sombrero.

PAD, with the drought, they let you SHOWER where you are?  We have to use the public fountain...

Goodness, 2- 3 inches of rain!  Stay dry, Ginny!

DH is going to meet me at the end with a swimsuit  Gee, sapf, he's going to look pretty funny standing at the finish in a swimsuit...   Good luck with your upcoming half and hope the weather cooperates for you!

because a humongus wet dog is the friendliest kind!  And they smell SOOO good too, HsM

I don't have time to run in the mornings as I am at the office by 7am   Uh huh.  I have to be at work at 7 am too.  I just get up at 4 a.m. to get my run in and still have time to shower, change, etc.   Since you are MUCH faster than me, you should be able to do that too.      Of course, I don't nearly put in the miles you do either.

Good luck with the bodypump class, obiebyke!

Congrats on your miles Robert.  I hope you don't get tornadoes!

Enjoy that weather, SheCan!  AZ gets monsoons in July?  Weird.  Seems like it would be dry during summer months.

Scotty, maybe FLOTUS will go on a run with you.  Uh huh, right, Jerry.  That scenario makes me get mental images of the Secret Service tackling me after I call out to her on the run "Great Legs, Madam President!"    I think I better just stay put and behave myself.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Scotty, maybe FLOTUS will go on a run with you   !!!!

Never got close to 70F in Chicago and its raining and the knee is sore, so I'm postponing the run until tomorrow.  Maybe I will take a walk.  4 miles for Mrs Jerry.

DR, if you go to the Marlins game you can FE with DD and her inlaws   !!!

People go to Marlins games?

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Scotty, haha, awesome pics.  And yes, since I am still doing some work at midnight (from home), there is no way I can wake up at 4am or 3am to do 11 miles.

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - That is HILARIOUS!!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

LMAO @ Sombrero Man and the police person!  That's too funny!   Some people are so creative.

Enjoy that weather, SheCan!  AZ gets monsoons in July?  Weird.  Seems like it would be dry during summer months.

Yes, especially where we live.  It'll get increasingly warmer until then and boom the rains come.   When Phx and Tucson are burning up in July, it's usually really, really pleasant here like in the 80s.  Unfortunately, come the middle of August summer usually hits again with a vengeance.  So as the rest of the country cools, we're having our 2nd summer.

Cherie

GinnyinPA

In Tucson they used to say that you had to have 10 days of 100 degrees, and then the monsoons would begin.  Usually it was just after July 4 that the rains would start.

Scotty - love sombrero man.  Sorry about the water restrictions though.  I know Texas has been dry for a while.  My stepmother recently bought a house on a lake -- well it used to be on a lake.  Evidently the dock is now about 1/4 mile out of the water.  She's hoping the rains will come back and they'll be on the water again.  Given the 100 year droughts of the past, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mitch - I had friends who lost their home to a fire that took out the neighborhood.   They found a little box of junk jewelry afterwards, but that was basically all that survived the flames.  In some ways that's easier than our friends who got flooded and lost their home two years ago.  They had to go through everything in the house and try to figure out what was salvageable and what wasn't, and then deal with a few things that ended up moldy later on.  Easier to start from scratch.

HopesMom - Ben doesn't mind walking in the rain, but he loves to share it by shaking all over us.  We had a very wet walk this a.m.

Obiebyke - I'm glad you're starting to heal, finally.

Cherie - sounds like an ideal day for a run.

sapf - good job on the 90 this month.  My mileage is down a bit thanks to the taper and then post race easy week.

Robert - nice 3 a day.  Are you streaking?

No run today.  After driving all over town doing stupid small wet errands, I don't want to get on the hamster wheel.  BTDT

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

People go to Marlins games?

The Marlins outdraw the White Sox.  Must be the tourists.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The Marlins outdraw the White Sox.  Must be the tourists.

Wow.

11 TM miles.  When the TM sounds better, you know it's horrid outside.

Damaris

hog4life

Ginny, I would have to agree, starting from scratch sounds like the best thing to do is these type disasters.

6.65 miles with Bella, then 4.25 on the bike. I had my son's GoPro on my head this time. The one from the other day when I had it on a chest harness was too shaky. On the bike ride, I actually got caught in a pretty good downpour.

Anson, what would be a good 1/2 to do in Indiana close to you? I want to start thinking about some things in the fall. I've got the Smoky Mountains one in Sept, and was thinking about the 7 Bridges in Oct and the Savannah in Nov. Is there one in Dec?