Beginners and Beyond

FRIDAILIES Didn't Do It, We Swear! (Read 55 times)

BruceD555

Well, the 5 TM miles are in without incident. I turned the last mile into a mini-progressive to get the legs turning over and ready for tomorrow's 10k & it felt good. The weather outside, on the other hand, is looking ugly - rain and every once in a while some sleet to make things fun. Oh well, every March can't be like last year (we were in the 70s last March).

Train smart ... race smarter.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Doing a tour all day, so not sure if I'll run today either.  We will try to do packet pickup tonight.

Hope everybody is having a great.

Damaris

LRB

Oh well, every March can't be like last year (we were in the 70s last March).

We had a stretch of mid 80's for about ten days last March, which caused premature blooming of our apple and cherry crops and they all froze and were killed off the following week!

Don't want that again.

StepbyStep-SH

We had a stretch of mid 80's for about ten days last March, which caused premature blooming of our apple and cherry crops and they all froze and were killed off the following week!

Don't want that again.

I said the same thing to someone yesterday. Those days felt wonderful at the time, but it was heartbreaking to go to our favorite orchard last fall and see acres and acres of trees with no apples. The farmer lost 80% of his crop - basically all of his wholesale business - and said his banker was just very glad that he has a strong 'tourism' type business going with pick-your-own, wagon rides, kids' games, etc. to help with cash flow.

I would just like for it to not snow tonight on top of today's rain leaving me with a skating rink for tomorrow's long run.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

I said the same thing to someone yesterday. Those days felt wonderful at the time, but it was heartbreaking to go to our favorite orchard last fall and see acres and acres of trees with no apples. The farmer lost 80% of his crop - basically all of his wholesale business - and said his banker was just very glad that he has a strong 'tourism' type business going with pick-your-own, wagon rides, kids' games, etc. to help with cash flow.

I would just like for it to not snow tonight on top of today's rain leaving me with a skating rink for tomorrow's long run.

I had not realized other areas were affected as well.

+1 on the no snow.  They were complaining in the office today about it being in the mid 30's, and I was thinking to myself how low my standards have dropped since taking up running!

I am not affected negatively by those temps, now granted, warm weather running for mid-range distances is great (6-10 miles), but once you get in the 90 minute to two hour range, that heat sucks.

Rondog65

Hello all, 26 degrees when I got up this am (was in the 50’s for the past couple of days) and I just couldn’t believe it.  By the time works was done and it was time for my run it had warmed up to a steamy 36 degrees.  No more griping had a nice uneventful 4.7 mile run.

Ron

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Ball of Fury

Got in my easy 6 @ 9:15/mile, which was probably a bit fast but felt great!  I had to drag myself out the door for this one it turned out to be a great run...probably because it was 55 degrees and I didn't need 2 layers, hat, and gloves!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

DavePNW

Did 9 miles at 8:26 pace, in lovely 36 degrees with some kind of precipitation going on. It could not decide whether it wanted to be cold rain or wet snow, it just knew it wanted to be annoying. And after posting to someone earlier to make sure to wear a hat for her race that was going to be 40's & rainy, of course I went out with my head uncovered. Kind of fast for me, but this kind of weather does not inspire an easy pace. Plus I needed a pit stop when I was about a mile away from the nearest facility, that was an exceptionally fast interval. (Can't wait till the leaves come back on the trees....)

Dave

B-Plus

Great run AmiK, but that's still glove weather for me.

Package pickup is done, and also 5k in 26:57 w/ 1 stride. Hopefully tomorrow will be faster!

Ball of Fury

Lol...that's funny!  I had on one thing long sleeve tech shirt and capris and I was burning up!

Great run AmiK, but that's still glove weather for me.

Package pickup is done, and also 5k in 26:57 w/ 1 stride. Hopefully tomorrow will be faster!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

LRB

Did 9 miles at 8:26 pace, in lovely 36 degrees with some kind of precipitation going on. It could not decide whether it wanted to be cold rain or wet snow, it just knew it wanted to be annoying. And after posting to someone earlier to make sure to wear a hat for her race that was going to be 40's & rainy, of course I went out with my head uncovered. Kind of fast for me, but this kind of weather does not inspire an easy pace. Plus I needed a pit stop when I was about a mile away from the nearest facility, that was an exceptionally fast interval. (Can't wait till the leaves come back on the trees....)

Way to get it done!  It got nasty for a spell there.

8 easy for me tonight

Baboon

delicate flower

I set out to do an hour on the spin bike but my butt could only handle 50 minutes.  Way too much soreness in the ol' gluteal area and I couldn't go 10 more minutes.  At least my knee felt good!

<3

B-Plus

Ron - That sounds like about the same adjustment I'll need to make next week. Except I'll need to travel 3 times zones for that.

Ami - I'd probably wear tshirt, shorts, cap, and gloves in that weather.

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

So its apparent at this point that I'm not going to race tomorrow.  My chest congestion has worsened and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I step to that line, I'd be wrong to do so.  This is an extremely difficult thing to digest right now.  My races are what I train for.  If it's any use to anybody, don't mess with the grey areas when it comes to colds and flus.  I messed around inside of them and I'm paying the price.  I'm definitely not young anymore.

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???