Beginners and Beyond

NYC Marathon Runners (Read 92 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I likewise think that you'll be fine Lily.  Though like Kristin I tend to wear less clothing at races than others.

I will also be spectating, though I'll be just past mile 14 (right after you cross into Queens from Brooklyn).  If anyone has any requests let me know and I'll try to fulfill them :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The wind will be the worst on the Verrazano I think so definitely do arm sleeves. Yo may want them for the other bridges too in would think.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

lily, from what I can tell, Sunday morn NYC weather looks almost exactly like the Waterfront.  Perhaps slightly stronger NW wind, but it would be crosswind most of the way.

If you felt warm in the Waterfront, I would take that into account.  I was wearing longsleeves and shorts and was OK.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

lily, from what I can tell, Sunday morn NYC weather looks almost exactly like the Waterfront.  Perhaps slightly stronger NW wind, but it would be crosswind most of the way.

If you felt warm in the Waterfront, I would take that into account.  I was wearing longsleeves and shorts and was OK.

Crosswind?  I ran it last year (NY) and there was a headwind for most, if not, the whole race.

I am probably wearing a light long sleeve, mostly because I am not racing it but running it at a normal easy pace, so I will get a bit chilly.

Damaris

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

NE wind would be a headwind.  NW is forecasted so far:

Sunday 11/02

10% chance of precipitation.

Mainly sunny. High 46F (8C). Winds NW at 15 to 30 km/h (9 to 18 mph).

Crosswind?  I ran it last year (NY) and there was a headwind for most, if not, the whole race.

I am probably wearing a light long sleeve, mostly because I am not racing it but running it at a normal easy pace, so I will get a bit chilly.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

This may all change a hundred times between now and Sunday.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This may all change a hundred times between now and Sunday.

And we shall check every minute!  At least I am.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

Reassure me. If it's between 37F and 46F, sunny and windy and I go with shorts, singlets and arm warmers, I won't die of cold, right? I'm afraid to try it...

I would go with three layers...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

happylily

I would go with three layers...

Don't make fun of me, I'm a sensitive person. 

So far I have in my running bag: black arm warmers, gray arm warmers, white arm warmers with red maple leaves, black tee-shirt, camo lulu bra, red shorts, red plaid skirt, gray shorts, 3/4 Sugoi tights, long tights from Athleta, black racerback, long sleeved berry lulu tech shirt, Newton shoes, Garmin, sunglasses, 3 gels, one umbrella. Anything I'm forgetting for the race? 

I'll dress light as suggested and if I do not PR in this race, I'll blame you all for the advice.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

bluerun

Super B****

Don't make fun of me, I'm a sensitive person. 

So far I have in my running bag: black arm warmers, gray arm warmers, white arm warmers with red maple leaves, black tee-shirt, camo lulu bra, red shorts, red plaid skirt, gray shorts, 3/4 Sugoi tights, long tights from Athleta, black racerback, long sleeved berry lulu tech shirt, Newton shoes, Garmin, sunglasses, 3 gels, one umbrella. Anything I'm forgetting for the race? 

I'll dress light as suggested and if I do not PR in this race, I'll blame you all for the advice.

I'm not making fun of you!!  I wear more clothes while running than anybody you've ever seen.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

happylily

I'm not making fun of you!!  I wear more clothes while running than anybody you've ever seen.

Aww! Ok.  You remind me: I forgot gloves! I need gloves!

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Whew!  Disaster averted! 

Aww! Ok.  You remind me: I forgot gloves! I need gloves!

Talking about arm warmers, what brand do you use?  I've bough a pair of cheapo Asics once and haven't used them since 2010, they seem to be too warm/itchy.  I guess you get what you pay for?

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I am a big fan of CEP calf compression sleeves though 

happylily

I have two pairs from Lululemon. They are very warm, which I love. And they can unroll to cover my hands if I need it. I also have two pairs from Sugoi, they are thin, but hold well. I've worn them in two races and was very pleased with them as well. I have twigs for arms and I need xs. Not every brand offers a size small enough for my pitiful arms.

LRB

I don't know who you're asking this question to...

Me, of course. 

Sounds fine to me (even with the wind as long as the wind chills stay in the 30's) with maybe some throwaway bottoms while waiting for the start and a throwaway top for the first or second mile.  For what it's worth I waited 30 minutes in 36 degree temps and did not need the pants, and for my half last spring it was 27 degrees F and I wore the same thing.

Everyone is different though so in the end do whatever works for you, but I would be in heaven once mile 3 rolls around.