Beginners and Beyond

Where are the MonDAILIES? (Read 48 times)

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Afternoon, All!

8 miles, relatively easy 9:29 pace, no intervals, no hanky-panky. I probably could have gone a bit farther, but I have a special UPS delivery coming today and I don't want to miss that.

In an unusual change of pace (no pun intended), I actually wore my heart rate monitor today. First time in over a year, I think. Anyway, My HR kind of settled into the 135 range, a couple of BPM slower the first couple of miles, and a couple of BPM faster towards the last couple of miles. I think I'll wear it a few times strictly to gather information.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

flarunner--nice 6!

Dtothe2nd, I'm pretty sure your 'low mileage' is my 'I would keel over,' but think of it this way: you'll be extra-fresh for this week.  Everyone needs a lighter week every so often.

Pink, I'm glad you get to take that cast off so soon, that's great.  Hopefully you'll be a lot more mobile.

Baboon--you seem chipper yet when I read your actual words they are less so.  Hm.  Hey, at least you can run now.

Robert--5.1, eh?  If it were me I'd do 5.15 cause I'm a nut.  Have fun with the pushups and crunches.

April--so enthused about marathon training.  Yay marathon!  er. better you than me, marathons are terrifying.

Just B.S. sounds like some nice recovery.  I don't think you'd need any more than that.  Not too sore?

Damaris--awesome running with the husband.  So great he's into it now.  I remember how psyched I was to do my first run with my dad (who I got into running).  Go easy on him, though. Wink

StepbyStep--ugh, 33?  That's... terrible.  At least you can hold onto the cool memory tomorrow? idk.

B Plus--good luck easing in.

Bruce, neato, glad you had such a great floaty run.  Love those... they're rare.

Oski--re: tapering I have two words for you: Online boggle.  (Is that just me?)

Marjorie, good luck traveling after that nice long run. Smile

LRB--that's quite the routine, are you rehabbing your hips or something?  (I used to do a ton of adductor/abductor stuff when I had piriformis syndrome).

Also... I didn't know it was THAT kind of chiropractor.  I thought they were supposed to make you less stiff.  Ahem.

Hey Ami, have a good upper body workout, nice to see you.

Zentastic, 10k recovery after a 10k race sounds impressive to me.  I'm always a wimp and take a day off after races.

RicG, hi there, enjoy your 6.

Tom, glad the run went well.  Don't worry about the lack of hanky-panky.  I think LRB is getting enough for us all today.  Wink

So today I split up my run around my workout.

I did 2.36 with some 1/4 miles at 9 mph and some strides at 11 mph before my weights workout.

Weights workout:

behind the neck jerk 3 x 5

full snatch 3 x 3

(I do the next two sets of exercises as a circuit, so one of each and then repeat)

front squat 100lb x 5, 120 lb x 5, 132 lb x 5 (but my depth wasn't great--they were kind of half squats, bah!)

seated row x 6

med ball slams x 30

step ups with 25 lb in each hand x 5 each leg

cable chest fly x 6

300m on the rower

and finally abs:

kettlebell Russian twist, 3 x 8, band-resisted situps, 3 x 8, med ball tosses 3 x 6

Then I did 2.64 miles with more longish intervals at 9.0 to finish it out.  Felt good and springy today.  I kind of like breaking up my run like that.

Need to work on my front squat depth, though.  I think I just wasn't used to going so heavy (132 is more than body weight, pretty rough).  I will get better next time.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LRB

LRB--that's quite the routine, are you rehabbing your hips or something?  (I used to do a ton of adductor/abductor stuff when I had piriformis syndrome).

Also... I didn't know it was THAT kind of chiropractor.  I thought they were supposed to make you less stiff.  Ahem.

I had a bout with hip pain (Bursitis most likely) last summer and fall.  It was determined that I had weak hips, adductors and abductors.  I was doing core work four days a week but now that the running season is in full swing I am essentially doing maintenance.  The hip pain issue has not been resolved however.

As far as chiropractors, I honestly do not know what to expect.  I would just rather not have anything to do with that done to me.  I will listen to what they have to say but my back is my strongest body part.  I don't want to go screwing around with it trying to fix something else.

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for starting today's thread, flarunner. Great job having done six miles before work.

Dave, terrific 10.6. I'm glad that things are better.

Sarah, I hope that the next three weeks go as quickly as the last week went.

Phil, have a great leg and elliptical session.

Robert, fantastic 5.1. Have fun pushing and crunching.

Tom, enjoy the six-to-eight.

AprilRunner, have a great start to marathon training.

Beth, sweet swim.

Damaris, have a nice nine-miler.

Shari, wonderful six-miler, but with long sleeves, tights, and gloves? Oy.

B-Plus, fantastic four-miler.

BruceD555, enjoy your recovery run.

Oski, enjoy riding and running.

Marjorie, terrific 10.8.

Zelanie, good luck with your knee.

Brrrrrrr, sweet six.

kristin10185, have a pleasant SRD.

Rick, great workout. Enjoy the massage.

Zentastic, congratulations on your race yesterday. Enjoy your easy 10K today.

Ric-G, bravo on the 6.5.

Tom, excellent easy eight.

scappodaqui, amazing workout.

I did push-ups as soon as I awoke. During my break, I did 1.65 slow and easy miles in 15:56.29. 9:40 pace.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I went to the gym on my lunch break. I did 70 pushups, 80 crunches, and 10 squat bar pullups (using the squat bar as my pullup bar, but I'm at an angle and my feet never leave the floor. Baby steps). I also did the bike for 20 minutes to loosen up my legs after my long run yesterday.

It's cool out - 55* and windy. Minus the wind, I love it!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I also did an hour of Pilates. She had me doing chin ups and pull ups While balancing on the step part of the Pilates chair. 'twas tough.

Marjorie

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crazy around here today as my cop-workers in my department are out, so I'm it. I feel like I've been trying to herd cats all day, lol!   Today is a rest day for me after my weekend.

Saturday, did Race #30 for the year.  Report and photos here:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/a9b6c00c8ee1477a9ce782cbbe09d1a1/resume#focus

Sunday, took the car to the garage at Fort Sam Houston for oil change, etc.  Dropped my change of clothes off at the gym first.  Then dropped the car off.  Then ran from the garage, did a loop around the military post for 4 miles, finished at the gym. After the run did a full-body weight training circuit.  Shower-and-change and then a half-mile walk back to the garage to pick up my car.    I"m done!  Wait, no I'm not..after dinner last night, Gail wanted to go for a walk, so we did an evening walk of 1.5 miles around the neighborhood.  Very nice weather, sun just going down, 64 degrees, light breeze, low dewpoint.   OK, NOW I finished exercising for the day.

Rest day today!

Well, Gail and I inadvertently grossed ourselves out last night.  We were watching a series on PBS (Mr. Selfridge) and right after that, this program came on called "10 Things" and this week it was 10 things about healthy eating.  So we watched...and the first thing they put on was this thing about 'visceral fat"  - fat which accumulates around the body's organs - and then, of course, they just HAD to show all the MRI and scan photos of that visceral fat  stuff.....yuk.. visceral fat is NASTY..and apparently the most dangerous for health issue concerns, etc...Tight lips.....I think that was what kind of motivated Gail to want to go for a walk before we went to bed, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

Basya, when do you race?

Running for TJ because he can't.

LRB

Scotty you know the rules; pics or it didn't happen.

flarunner

Good morning ladies, supp boys!

I got some side shuffles and monster walks done on the treadmill with the blue band for 27:00 minutes, then finished up with 50 lying leg adductor lifts each side which burned my inner thighs thoroughly!

I have a free massage tonight after work which I signed up for at a race expo a month ago, and almost completely forgot about.  Hopefully it works out but it 's at a chiropractors office and I have to listen to a sales pitch beforehand.  If he tries to get me to do an adjustment before she rubs me out, I will be walking out the door.  Homey don't play that snap my neck and spine shit.

My oldest sister is a chiropractor. And you know what they say... once you go crack, you never go back. Wink

YAYpril - B-Plus

6.05 miles done. They felt wonderful... except for the steady headwind from mile 2.25 to 3.75.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

9 miles with 2 bridges.  I was fast in this weather.  WTF?

Damaris

Push-ups, crunches, pull-ups, bike...great workout, AprilRunner. Also, brava on the 6.05.

Marjorie, that Pilates session sounds brutal.

scottydawg, enjoy your well-earned rest day.

Robert, my HM will be on May 26.

Damaris, indeed, how? Fast in your heat and humidity? Please share the secret.

5.25 miles done in 50:00.17. 9:32 pace. I fought to keep from going for a full hour or six whole miles...whichever would come later.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There is no explanation for this.  It's a day where the asthma is at bay.  The HR was at 5K pace (which I think it was a mistake) so I didn't behave today (having said that, it's good to misbehave once a week for people that never do speedwork like me, LOL).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Now my allergy shot mark is the size of a plum so I think I misbehave alright, LOL.

Damaris