Beginners and Beyond

Rita Jeptoo Failed the Drug Test? (Read 123 times)

Cyberic

There will always be people looking for an edge. The only way to truly level the playing field is to make nothing illegal.

I agree 100%

Baboon

delicate flower

Would I cheat if it was worth a few million dollars to do so and the likelihood of being caught was fairly remote?  Yep.  Sure would.  Especially if not cheating meant I'd barely be eking out a living.

Serious question, but I wonder if Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, etc would agree with this.  They made their money but are universally despised, have received death threats, are booed everywhere, taunted by fans, their kids are taunted at school, they have very little respect among the general public, and their respective sports have turned their backs to them.  I wonder if they think the money was worth it.

<3

happylily

Serious question, but I wonder if Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, etc would agree with this.  They made their money but are universally despised, have received death threats, are booed everywhere, taunted by fans, their kids are taunted at school, they have very little respect among the general public, and their respective sports have turned their backs to them.  I wonder if they think the money was worth it.

Worst of all would be your kids losing respect for you. Assuming you raised them well, of course.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

It's easy to look back and have regrets. It's easy to say I would never do that because look what happened to those guys.

But at their height of popularity they were THE MAN. Adulation, money, power, etc. Those things are very intoxicating and history proves they can be very destructive. Those that have those things never believe it is going to end badly. They absolutely thought it was worth it when they started and probably right up to the point they were caught. Hell, Armstrong* probably still thinks it was worth it.

*I'm on record as thinking Lance was a d-bag long before he was busted. He always struck me as an arrogant prick and I was in the camp that always thought he was doping.

B-Plus

Some people disagrre with your ethics, but I'm pretty sure I would too. It's easy to say "I would never" because I'm not in a position in which it could make a difference between being poor, or being rather rich and famous. I'm pretty sure that in their position, I'd do the drugs too.

But don't worry everyone, the only drugs I might take in the future years will more likely impair my running. If I visit the west coast, I might try some of the new legalized herbs they have down there 

Since I will never be in that position, I don't have to worry about this temptation. I wonder if I would seriously consider it. I probably would have to be near the end of my career and be guaranteed a multimillion $ payday. Of course if everyone's cheating, then who's to say the other dopers aren't better?

RSX

I would disagree about McGuire being universally despised. Even at Congress, I don't recall him lying as he wasn't there to talk about the past. When he became a coach for the Cardinals he admitted using long before most of the others did. He didn't throw anyone under the bus like the others did. I despise Armstrong more than the rest as he ruined careers.

B-Plus

No more marathons

admirable ethics.

Yawn - SOS - see here:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/ac77e8e6b9b64563b8c9c96bf3b715e5/0

Officer of the court?  nice example.

Would students cheating on history test be given a pass because if they fail they won't earn a decent living?

Bah.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Question (and potential tangent to this thread): How do you define "performance enhancing" and where do you draw the ethical line?

Thankfully I don't need to define that, WADA does it for us in terms of what is allowed. (in terms of athletics anyway. US Prosports have different, much laxer rules and unions that seem more interested in protecting their dopers, than trying to ensure clean competition)

Caffeine - whilst demonstrated to be performance enhancing in endurance sports is fine.

OTC pain pills again are fine. There is an ongoing debate about tramadol, which currently isn't banned, but I woudl argue should be.

Altitude training, and altitude tents are OK and these can boost blood red cell counts.

Taking EPO is not.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Thankfully I don't need to define that, WADA does it for us in terms of what is allowed. (in terms of athletics anyway. US Prosports have different, much laxer rules and unions that seem more interested in protecting their dopers, than trying to ensure clean competition)

Caffeine - whilst demonstrated to be performance enhancing in endurance sports is fine.

OTC pain pills again are fine. There is an ongoing debate about tramadol, which currently isn't banned, but I woudl argue should be.

Altitude training, and altitude tents are OK and these can boost blood red cell counts.

Taking EPO is not.

You missed the point of my question. I wasn't asking what was and wasn't on WADA's list. I know what those answers are.

What I find interesting is what we determine to be "good" performance-enhancing stuff and what is "bad" performance-enhancing stuff. All of those things I've listed could be argued to boost performance. I understand (I think) the need for guidelines and rules but your parenthetical comment is what I was kind of thinking about - situational ethics.

Love the Half

The appropriate question is not, "would you cheat?"  The appropriate question is, "how high do the stakes need to be in order for you to cheat?"  If your life, or the life of your child was on the line, you'd cheat without blinking.  Thus, you would cheat.

I would cheat if not cheating meant a life in poverty and cheating meant I could make millions.  You might choose poverty (although you might think differently if you had grown up poor in a third world country).  My guess is that most people when faced with that choice will choose to cheat.  My guess is that an even higher percentage will cheat if they assume that their fellow competitors are cheating.  It is easier to be morally pure when your livelihood isn't on the line.

(I have a friend who left competitive body building specifically because he knew he couldn't be competitive at higher levels without taking drugs.  Mind you, this was back in the late 80's/early 90's when he made that decision and testing regimens were non-existent then.  I don't know about today).

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I respect LtH's statement.

Yes, obviously it is wrong and unethical but too many people eagerly stand on the soap box and proclaim "I would never.....!",  having never been in the position of those people who do cross the line. It's really easy to make that statement but read accounts of some of the Tour de France cyclists during the late 90's and 2000's. They were doing something they loved, got paid well for doing, and knew others were doping. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to keep up. The pressure to do it was substantial. It was their livelihood.

If I'm a Kenyan on the edge of the elites, scrapping together a few bucks to keep my goat farm going every year, I may be just a bit tempted to try something to help me drop a few minutes over 26.2 miles for those six figure payouts and sponsorship $'s that could possibly set my family up for a couple generations.

I'm not claiming that people are lying when they say they wouldn't use. Most obviously don't. I just don't think one knows for sure until you have been put in the position.

Question (and potential tangent to this thread): How do you define "performance enhancing" and where do you draw the ethical line?

Asthma inhaler?

Galen Rupp on thyroid medication?     http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/do-many-us-distance-runners-have-thyroid-problems

Cadaver ligaments used in ACL surgery?

Tommy John surgery for pitchers?

Altitude tents?

Alter-G treadmills for injury recovery?

Advil, Tylenol, etc.?

I could make an argument that we all use performance enhancers. The only difference is what we have decided is legal and "ethical" versus what we haven't.

To me, a performance enhancer are those that give you an edge.  An asthma inhaler, for example, does not give anyone an edge, it improves the poor breathing capacity to less than 100%.  If it would increase breathing at above 100%, I would say it is performance enhancing, but they never do.  And they are among the list of medications one needs to report and get an exception for.  Silly.

I remember one guy told me oh, now you have an inhaler, you're cheating.  Right, like going from 48% breathing to 54% is cheating.  OMG!  Make way for me, I'm going to win the race now.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Baboon

delicate flower

Asthma inhaler?

Galen Rupp on thyroid medication?   

Cadaver ligaments used in ACL surgery?

Tommy John surgery for pitchers?

Altitude tents?

Alter-G treadmills for injury recovery?

Advil, Tylenol, etc.?

I AM PROOF THAT THIS IS A PERFORMANCE ENHANCER.

<3

I AM PROOF THAT THIS IS A PERFORMANCE ENHANCER.

I threw that in there just for you!