Beginners and Beyond

Rita Jeptoo Failed the Drug Test? (Read 123 times)

Love the Half

One of my favorite videos......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BbPopNgz7M

That is fucking great.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

B-Plus

Love the Half

Wow.  That's about as candid of an interview as you're likely to see anywhere.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Baboon

delicate flower

http://running.competitor.com/2014/11/news/rita-jeptoos-agent-federico-rosa_117410

Looks like her agent is pissed off, frustrated, and disappointed.  So to paraphrase, he thinks she is guilty, he doesn't want to see the B sample, and will probably drop her as a client once the result is confirmed.

<3

I'm shocked, shocked, that her agent and coach had no knowledge of this and are saying everything they can to make sure everyone knows they were in no way involved.

Baboon

delicate flower

I'm shocked, shocked, that her agent and coach had no knowledge of this and are saying everything they can to make sure everyone knows they were in no way involved.

You'd think the agent would go to bat for their client.  I think of agents like Scott Boras and Drew Rosenhaus who would always back their guy (at least publicly) and say nothing negative about them to the media.  Blame the test, blame the process,  blame medication or a tainted supplement, but never blame the athlete.

<3

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

They sure do these things different in Italy.

tracilynn

I wonder if they will ever allow certain "enhancers" to at least level the playing field.

~~~~~~~

Traci

I wonder if they will ever allow certain "enhancers" to at least level the playing field.

There will always be people looking for an edge. The only way to truly level the playing field is to make nothing illegal.

Love the Half

Would I cheat if it was worth a few million dollars to do so and the likelihood of being caught was fairly remote?  Yep.  Sure would.  Especially if not cheating meant I'd barely be eking out a living.

catwhoorg

Labrat

People respond to drugs differently, so you don't level the playing field, you just tilt it at a different angle.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

admirable ethics.

Would I cheat if it was worth a few million dollars to do so and the likelihood of being caught was fairly remote?  Yep.  Sure would.  Especially if not cheating meant I'd barely be eking out a living.

happylily

admirable ethics.

Thank you for daring to say what I was thinking...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I respect LtH's statement.

Yes, obviously it is wrong and unethical but too many people eagerly stand on the soap box and proclaim "I would never.....!",  having never been in the position of those people who do cross the line. It's really easy to make that statement but read accounts of some of the Tour de France cyclists during the late 90's and 2000's. They were doing something they loved, got paid well for doing, and knew others were doping. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to keep up. The pressure to do it was substantial. It was their livelihood.

If I'm a Kenyan on the edge of the elites, scrapping together a few bucks to keep my goat farm going every year, I may be just a bit tempted to try something to help me drop a few minutes over 26.2 miles for those six figure payouts and sponsorship $'s that could possibly set my family up for a couple generations.

I'm not claiming that people are lying when they say they wouldn't use. Most obviously don't. I just don't think one knows for sure until you have been put in the position.

Question (and potential tangent to this thread): How do you define "performance enhancing" and where do you draw the ethical line?

Asthma inhaler?

Galen Rupp on thyroid medication?     http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/do-many-us-distance-runners-have-thyroid-problems

Cadaver ligaments used in ACL surgery?

Tommy John surgery for pitchers?

Altitude tents?

Alter-G treadmills for injury recovery?

Advil, Tylenol, etc.?

I could make an argument that we all use performance enhancers. The only difference is what we have decided is legal and "ethical" versus what we haven't.

Cyberic

Some people disagrre with your ethics, but I'm pretty sure I would too. It's easy to say "I would never" because I'm not in a position in which it could make a difference between being poor, or being rather rich and famous. I'm pretty sure that in their position, I'd do the drugs too.

But don't worry everyone, the only drugs I might take in the future years will more likely impair my running. If I visit the west coast, I might try some of the new legalized herbs they have down there