Beginners and Beyond

Question of the DAILIES (Read 47 times)

LRB

A big green blob is bearing down on my area, this is going to be close...

I saw the first bolt of lightening just before mile 2 but knew it was well north of where I was so I stubbornly continued on to the turnaround point of 4 miles.

There was thunder and lightening from mile 2 on I just took a chance that I would beat the worst of it.

It began raining at around mile 5 but nothing too significant. As luck would have it, the skies opened up around 15 minutes after the conclusion of my run so it all worked out this time, phew!

DavePNW

Great, consistent splits there Dave. I did not fare so well this morning.

3 x mile @ 5k, target = 5:52

Actual:  6:00, 5:53, 5:52

I really struggled to get into a groove with the first one, but I'm glad I finally got it.

Well you certainly nailed the last 2 pretty good.

I am certainly not looking forward to the mile repeats coming up on the schedule in a couple weeks, starting to get tough already with the 1000's. Plus a bit of a challenge to keep track of 2.5 laps on the track. Accidentally it the lap button at 800m on one of them, realized it when looking at my watch & managed to recover. I think starting with the 1200's I will program my watch & do it on the road. Maybe. I'm kind of developing an affinity for the track.

Dave

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Scotty I think it was around that up here as well, but had an ok breeze so it wasn't horrible.

Ended up dropping around 6 lbs and couldn't eat all the calories back before I crashed.

8 easy today in a few after the DDs swim lessons.

B-Plus

I find it way easier to keep pace on the track, but I hear you about the longer ones there. That's why I usually hit the roads for anything above 800.

I check my watch every 200 on the track, and have never had an issue with stopping too early, since I know I'm not as fast as the time would indicate if I was 1/2 a lap short.

DavePNW

I find it way easier to keep pace on the track, but I hear you about the longer ones there. That's why I usually hit the roads for anything above 800.

I check my watch every 200 on the track, and have never had an issue with stopping too early, since I know I'm not as fast as the time would indicate if I was 1/2 a lap short.

I keep an eye on my min/mile pace on my watch, but it does not show time/distance of current lap, only total time/distance of the run. I am pretty sure I can't change this on the 210.

Dave

LRB

I am certainly not looking forward to the mile repeats coming up on the schedule in a couple weeks, starting to get tough already with the 1000's. 

Try not to look too far ahead because it can become overwhelming.  Try to focus on the next run, the next mile, the next quarter,  the next step.

If you do that, when you get to that run with that same mindset it's business, and you get right down to it.

B-Plus

I keep an eye on my min/mile pace on my watch, but it does not show time/distance of current lap, only total time/distance of the run. I am pretty sure I can't change this on the 210.

Aw that's too bad. The only thing I have showing when I'm at the track is current lap time. I basically turn my Garmin into an expensive timex.

LRB

I have lap pace, lap time, distance and overall time. I could not remember but that is why I went with the 410 because you can customize 3 screens (4 really) with 3 fields each.

Zelanie

Hey guys!  I am done, done, done with the "speed" section of Hansons!  Today I ran the popular 3 x 1 mile workout that all the cool kids are doing.  Since I had missed the first time this workout came up (due to HM recovery), I went into it kinda nervous and not sure I could actually pull it off.  But that run is done, and I don't have to run at that pace again until after my marathon. Smile

Next week begins the "strength" section, so 6 x 1 mile instead of just 3, but they will be so much slower!

Phil- Nice job staying consistent with getting your track workouts in.  Everything else will come with time. Smile

D- Have a good RunPiYo!

B+ - Better to start soft and nail the last ones than to wither and lose pace as you go, I think.

Lily- Good luck on the 400s!  12 is a lot of repeats, good thing they go by quickly!

Marjorie- Nice job getting out the door early!

LRB- Glad you were able to get home in time!

Dave- The nice thing about the mile repeats is that there's only 3 of them, so they really do go by quickly.

Sly- You continue to impress, as always.

Scotty- Nice run!

LRB

Congrats on the promotion Zel.  lol

B-Plus

I recall doing 5 x 1 mile @ 5k in the 80 mpw hansons plan last year. It seemed to drag on forever.

happylily

Zel, I hate that 3x1600m @ 5k pace workout and I've been known to skip it once or twice in the past. Let it be a great confidence builder for you. You made it through. Bravo!

I had quite an ugly run myself. The 12 miles turned into 10 because my legs were very sore. Not sure why that is. I should have brought my foam roller with me on the trip, but I didn't think I'd need it. Anyway, not only were the legs very stiff and achy, but my pace was off and I could only average 6:49 mpm for each of my 400m intervals. I'm pathetic. I'm on vacation, I should be full of energy, but I've been running slower than usual. The temperature at the gym was very cool, so it had nothing to do with that. Oh well... c'est la vie, n'est-ce pas? At least I'm running, instead of being injured like I was last summer. I'll run an extra 2 or 3 later today, when I come back from my walk.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

I recall doing 5 x 1 mile @ 5k in the 80 mpw hansons plan last year. It seemed to drag on forever.

That's crazy! What's the point of doing 5 miles at 5k pace before a marathon? I bet LTH would not agree (he does not like the 3x1600m workout. I can only imagine what he'd say about 5x1600m intervals! )

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Baboon

delicate flower

That's crazy! What's the point of doing 5 miles at 5k pace before a marathon? I bet LTH would not agree (he does not like the 3x1600m workout. I can only imagine what he'd say about 5x1600m intervals! )

Yeah but he hates everything.

<3

LRB

That's crazy! What's the point of doing 5 miles at 5k pace before a marathon? 

That is essentially a VO2 max workout, an important aspect of racing regardless of the distance.  One would not stop training the body's ability to deliver oxygen to its working muscles because they are running a marathon.

Of course the deeper you get into training, the more you do race pace specific stuff but you absolutely want to give these type of workouts your best shot early on during MRT.