Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES! (Read 39 times)

Watch winter not even come close to last year's weather if I buy these things 

OMG PLEASE BUY THEM.  Big grin

LRB

If I ever get anything I would start with the spikes One posted. The problem with that though is there is rarely a completely covered path on which I run on, so the ice or snow is usually in patches along the way.  That is the reason I never got around to buying them last year.

onemile

If I ever get anything I would start with the spikes One posted. The problem with that though is there is rarely a completely covered path on which I run on, so the ice or snow is usually in patches along the way.  That is the reason I never got around to buying them last year.

I run mostly on cleared roads/sidewalks with occasional patches of ice with the ice spikes - They do wear down after about a month and need to be switched out but it helps me run without worrying about falling when it's dark and I can't always see the ice and sometimes it might be all ice for a short stretch or snow covered ice.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Don't worry Jay, I have pretty much talked myself into it 

Our roads were hardly ever icy for that, I just wore my trail shoes for those. But I want to stay on the trails for as long as possible this winter, and I am including 2-3 days of 5+ mile hikes (which would involve runs) on the hilliest trails in my area (John James Audubon State Park) so something like microspikes would definitely help.

I really like the Hillsound FreeSteps6 (http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/freesteps6-traction-device/ ...... ....)

And the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra ( http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon-ultra/ ..... ....)

But I really, really want to try these http://en-us.atlassnowshoe.com/snowshoes/run  (Just because  ....... )

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I say this here right now, as I know the rule not to wear new clothing to a race. I did wear these socks during yesterday's 3 miler and they were quite warm in 70 degrees. They are the same brand of my usual running socks but just a  teensy bit thicker, I know what I am wearing for the race but have been debating on the socks as my shoes are the very airy ones and I am worried my feet will be numb halfway through Sad

The only problem is during the run I kind of felt my ankles getting rubbed raw so I am in between a rock and a hard place...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Cyberic

I just use trail shoes in winter, enough grip for me.  No speedwork when it's icy would be an obvious thing to consider.

I think YakTrax and such only make sense when you do not come into contact with dry pavement at all.

I spent last winter with my normal running shoes and it was really dangerous at times. This winter I'd like something with a little more grip, but like you, I think anything metal is slippery as hell on dry and wet pavement, and is effective only if there's ice all over. So winter running shoes with metal studs would probably be as slippery on pavement as YakTrax and such...

So you use trail shoes and those are better than normal running shoes on icy conditions?

Cyberic

Bought these on sale online on Sunday

Weird looks. Got them today by mail so I ran 5 easy in them. I like them. Will do tomorrow's speed work in them. If I orderd for 100$ and more there was no shipping fees, so I ordered a singlet too. Now I have two.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Our roads don't really get bad ice wise, and I slow down a lot more.  I am probably going to regret saying this, but so far I have not slipped and bust my ass on icy roads (YET).

PRs

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Yes, they definitely have more traction on ice and snow than my normal road shoes.  It's almost like the difference between all-season and winter tires.  I would not go crazy in them, of course.

My problem is, the trail shoes I used (Mizuno Ascend) were a ruggedized version of Mizuno Elixir, and both have been discontinued.  The replacement, at least for the road shoes (Mizuno Sayonara), does not look very promising.  So I will have to find some other trail shoes.

These were not technical trail shoes, more of a road/trail hybrid.  They did not have a rock plate and such.  But they weremuch  better insulated, and had lug treads and rubber toe bumper that wasn't on the road version, the Elixir.

So you use trail shoes and those are better than normal running shoes on icy conditions?

happylily

Talks of winter already? 

10 @ 8:07 pace. It left me a little tired, not a good sign... But tomorrow will be recovery pace, then no running until Sunday, as is my habit.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

I obviously don't even need ice to fall & hurt myself.

Dave

LRB

I say this here right now, as I know the rule not to wear new clothing to a race. I did wear these socks during yesterday's 3 miler and they were quite warm in 70 degrees. They are the same brand of my usual running socks but just a  teensy bit thicker, I know what I am wearing for the race but have been debating on the socks as my shoes are the very airy ones and I am worried my feet will be numb halfway through Sad

The only problem is during the run I kind of felt my ankles getting rubbed raw so I am in between a rock and a hard place...

Has your feet ever gotten numb before? And if your ankles are already getting rubbed raw after only 3 miles then you are not between a rock and a hard place at all, the decision has been made for you.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Has your feet ever gotten numb before? And if your ankles are already getting rubbed raw after only 3 miles then you are not between a rock and a hard place at all, the decision has been made for you.

Numb from cold, no but I've normally worn warmer socks and I usually have a few days of cold to get used to after summer running. This week has gone 83, 67, 63 and steadily drops to 30 degrees Saturday morning so I am left trying to remember what I comfortably wore in winter. But I did find a pair of thicker/warmer socks that I wore a few time during winter last year. I will take them along with me just in case.

PRs

Cyberic

Yes, they definitely have more traction on ice and snow than my normal road shoes.  It's almost like the difference between all-season and winter tires.  I would not go crazy in them, of course.

My problem is, the trail shoes I used (Mizuno Ascend) were a ruggedized version of Mizuno Elixir, and both have been discontinued.  The replacement, at least for the road shoes (Mizuno Sayonara), does not look very promising.  So I will have to find some other trail shoes.

These were not technical trail shoes, more of a road/trail hybrid.  They did not have a rock plate and such.  But they weremuch  better insulated, and had lug treads and rubber toe bumper that wasn't on the road version, the Elixir.

Thanks. I think I'll go to the store and check them out instead of buying online without seeing.

Cyberic

Might try normal sheet metal screws underneath normal running shoes and try that in really icy conditions ( not very often)

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

I 'll experiment with retired running shoes so if it doesn't work too well, it will have cost me close to nothing.