Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES! (Read 39 times)

adkkev

That's because you're a delicate flower.

Here is what I use for running in the snow and ice:

DavePNW

I just use regular shoes on the snow. Ice is bullshit. I had a pair of YakTrax (OK they were an imitation bought at Costco), and the coils broke after 3 runs. They're great on icy hardpacked snow, but as mentioned useless on deep loose snow, and make a horrible noise on bare pavement (which probably also contributed to their breakage). If you run on the road in the winter, you will routinely encounter all these surfaces.

Dave

LRB

Last winter weekday outdoor runs were completely out of the question for me so I logged an all time high of miles on the belt.

DavePNW

Here is what I use for running in the snow and ice:

This is what I used for most of my weekday morning runs last winter, since I did not have a headlamp. I do have one now, but a bit nervous that it will illuminate enough to pick up icy patches, which you can avoid in the daylight.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning, MarjorieAnn....hope your day is going well!  And.....

Enjoy the easy day today, Cy.

Sorry about the tired legs, Phil.  Maybe when you run today, they will get 'attuned' and the piano on your back will be left behind.

Safe travel, Slymoon!

Hope your run and weights go well for you today, Damaris.

Yay for the legs feeling better, D2!  Enjoy the run today!

So you got paid to run this morning, lrb.  Nice!

Enjoy the PAD FE, Jack.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Crampons?  

Something like them, but I couldn't think of the other name so I said that name because that is a weird ass name that stays in your head. They had different ones in the new Trail Running magazine, but I can't remember for the life of me what they were...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

One of them looked like these

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

FreeSoul, chasing a toddler counts as x-training, doesn't it?

Snow already, Jay?   Glad I don't live where you do...I really hate that white stuff;  well, okay for a visit for a few days or so, but I don't want to live anywhere where snow sticks around for any length of time.  Enjoy your outside miles while they last!

Umm, Lily...why would you even have your laptop by a sinkful of water in the first place?  So you kind of gave it a new 'hard-dive.."    Hope your  miles today will help you cope with when the chips are down.....

Enjoy the SRD, B-Plus.   Too pucking bad about not getting to skate with the team.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It will be that time of year soon, damn.

Not for me! 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yes Scotty, it does lol... but at this point there is also running involved (for me) or more like jogging just to keep up with him. He is fast and he loves to run, I think we do 3-4 segments of 25-30 minutes of running/jogging around the shop a day. But tomorrow (and Friday) will not have any of that dang it.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

So, they took a case away from the bitch at work and gave it to me.  Now I have emergency hearings tomorrow and against instructions, she has not told me anything about the case, neither has she given me all the materials she has to date.

I like this communication strategy she has.

Damaris

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I just use trail shoes in winter, enough grip for me.  No speedwork when it's icy would be an obvious thing to consider.

I think YakTrax and such only make sense when you do not come into contact with dry pavement at all.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I just use trail shoes in winter, enough grip for me.  No speedwork when it's icy would be an obvious thing to consider.

I think YakTrax and such only make sense when you do not come into contact with dry pavement at all.

The reason I am thinking about it is because I will be doing ALOT of my training runs and hikes on trails this winter, since my next marathon is the Land Between the Lakes marathon next March (). Last year I tried to stick to the trails for as long as I could but the hard, icy snow with hiker's deep foot prints were killing my calves.

Plus I really wanna try these things 

Watch winter not even come close to last year's weather if I buy these things 

PRs

DavePNW

Watch winter not even come close to last year's weather if I buy these things 

It would be worth it.

Dave

adkkev

microspikes.

One of them looked like these