Beginners and Beyond

In the DAILIES we trust (Read 37 times)

LRB

Zellie you are resourceful, definitely tell us about the bread!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I cannot lay in the bed for too long or my back starts to bother me.  It has been that way for a million years.

That is not a good way to start MT, do a better job consuming complex carbohydrates so that at least you feel like getting your head kicked in.  lol

Could be the remnants of the 80 mile week but you should be over that by now, no?

The solution for that, LRB, is to roll on your stomach and have the lady next to you walk on your back for a while. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Today's adventure involves converting "standard" to metric while running.  But trying to think about it made the run go by quickly!

So I ran the 0.9 miles to the gym today and joined.  My plan called for 9 with 6 at GMP.  I got on the TM, and of course it's in kilometers and there's no way to switch it that I can see.  Also, it's just in kph, not in minutes per kilometer.  So I decide to warm up for another 1.5 K, then do 10K as a progression run, starting at my LR pace (since I'm still adjusting to everything and not really wanting to push too hard).  I ran 5K at LR pace (10 kph, nice round number), then for the next 5K I gradually bumped it up until I ran my last K at 10.8 kph.  If my math is right I think GMP is about 10.5 kph.  Felt good the whole way, better as I sped up.  MP pace seems to be a happy pace for me.  At least for 6 miles, hehe.  Then I cooled down for 0.5 K and ran the 0.9 miles back home.

The gym didn't appear to have AC on, they opened the doors partway through, maybe to let air in?  But the treadmill was nice and smooth.  It felt so humid that one of my "never falls out" yurbuds came out and I couldn't get it back in, then the other one came out right towards the end.  Oh well.

I'd call today a running success!

There's also a delicious looking bread place that is kind of sort of on my way home.  I skipped it today because I wanted to make it back in time for the game, but that is definitely on my agenda for another day!

In a week it will all be old hat and you'll have nothing to worry about. Sounds like you're adjusting well!

- Andrew

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Word.

Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs Brr!

What's up with all the weight loss? I am on vacation, eating/drinking excessively, running only sporadically, and with no access to scale. Scary stuff, kids.

Speaking of breakage - I did run today. 8 miles, kind of slow & ragged (amazing what only 3 days off will do), but the knee was no problem. The test however will be running consecutive days without the pain coming back. So either I go again tomorrow to test it, or I stick to every other day for a while. We'll see.

Have a good day everyone.

Sorry about your pain issues, Dave.  That's what I have to do most of the time, because of this stupid arthritis, run about every other day.  Once in a while when I'm feeling really good - like this week, I can get away with a bit more - like my 3 days in a row running this week - but that doesn't usually last long.  I've learned to just get in what I can and appreciate it, and the rest will take care of itself.   Wishing you all the luck and a hopefully speedy recovery!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

You certainly know how when you want to.  lol

8 mile progression turned into a regression run.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

8 mile progression turned into a regression run.

It would have been all good if you ran backwards...  geeze.

@LRB

Last weeks 80, seems to have mostly gone just building fatigue over time, the body will respond.  A lot of this morning was mental, wasn't looking forward to it - first fast workout in weeks.  And so on...

I get to open next week with a 20 min tempo, I'll work on the mental prep. before then.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Simple question; why is there an F after the dew point?  And why in Jehoshaphat's name do you think this year will be worse?

The dew point is the temperature at which the water vapor in air at constant barometric pressure condenses into liquid water at the same rate at which it evaporates.  The dew point is a water-to-air saturation temperature.  So it is a temperature.

Thank Wikipedia.

I am done with court.  Ahhhhh.

Damaris

LRB

I get to open next week with a 20 min tempo, I'll work on the mental prep. before then.

I have a crap ton of those coming up, but unlike last year when I loathed the shit out of them this year I am viewing them as a challenge and looking forward to it.

LRB

The dew point is the temperature at which the water vapor in air at constant barometric pressure condenses into liquid water at the same rate at which it evaporates.

So what does that mean?  In English this time.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

So what does that mean?  In English this time.

small numbers means I look like I peed on myself.

big numbers looks like I was peed on. ***(by a group of people... like bukaki but not so much um... yeah)

***Edit prompted by DR.   Wink

****Not that I am inferring DR knows anything about bukaki...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

small numbers means I look like I peed on myself.

big numbers looks like I was peed on.

Yeah, that.  The higher the dewpoint, the more OPPRESSIVE it is.  Don't you remember?  The highest (theoretically) a dewpoint can be is 90F.  For example, it can never be anything higher than 90F and 100% humidity because that will only exist in theory. The highest recorded is around 84, I think.  More than 80 is dangerous for people with asthma.  I have run with 80 dewpoint.  It is dangerous.  I often run in 77-79 dewpoint.  If you think a high dewpoint makes you look like you were peed on, >77 dewpoint makes you look like you just came out of the shower where you showered with clothes.

Oh, and the higher the dewpoint, the less the body will cool itself.  Because it cannot.  And that you can never acclimate on.  You will always have problems cooling yourself in high dewpoint no matter how many times you suffer through run in it.

Damaris

B-Plus

I'm just glad you guys stopped abbreviating with DP.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm just glad you guys stopped abbreviating with DP.

What else could it stand for? 

I am lazy, I will always use the abbreviation.

Damaris

meaghansketch

Baboon- I hear you on 68 dewpoint.  Nice workout.  The good news is you're still in good shape; there's no real reason to jump into marathon training yet if you feel you're not ready for it.

Lily- Enjoy your miles!

Damaris- I didn't even know Five Guys was in bankruptcy!  Hope you can get your running schedule back to normal soon.

LRB- Thanks for the input--  I wish I had slowed down on the T portion so I could have finished the workout but it's going to take a little time to adjust to the temperatures.  I was adjusted to the 60s, now I have to adjust to 70s and humidity.  Nice miles!

Brr- Congrats to you and your wife on your anniversary!

Lauren- so sorry to hear about your former teammate.  Nice workout and congrats on your DH being preapproved for a mortgage!  I am very curious about that process, having never gone through it myself (but maybe someday?)

Scott- Nice 'long' run!  Yes, 68 dewpoint is a lot for me (at least at this point in the season).  In August I'll think differently, I am sure.

Dave- Glad the knee was no problem, hope it continues to behave

Slymoon- Sorry the run sucked, I was feeling it too.  There will be better ones.

Zelanie- Nice miles!  I'd call it a success too. I grew up with metric, but after 20 years in the US I have trouble converting back to it.  Time to sit down with a calculator and do some pace conversions, maybe?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Baboon- I hear you on 68 dewpoint.  Nice workout.  The good news is you're still in good shape; there's no real reason to jump into marathon training yet if you feel you're not ready for it.

Lily- Enjoy your miles!

Damaris- I didn't even know Five Guys was in bankruptcy!  Hope you can get your running schedule back to normal soon.

LRB- Thanks for the input--  I wish I had slowed down on the T portion so I could have finished the workout but it's going to take a little time to adjust to the temperatures.  I was adjusted to the 60s, now I have to adjust to 70s and humidity.  Nice miles!

Brr- Congrats to you and your wife on your anniversary!

Lauren- so sorry to hear about your former teammate.  Nice workout and congrats on your DH being preapproved for a mortgage!  I am very curious about that process, having never gone through it myself (but maybe someday?)

Scott- Nice 'long' run!  Yes, 68 dewpoint is a lot for me (at least at this point in the season).  In August I'll think differently, I am sure.

Dave- Glad the knee was no problem, hope it continues to behave

Slymoon- Sorry the run sucked, I was feeling it too.  There will be better ones.

Zelanie- Nice miles!  I'd call it a success too. I grew up with metric, but after 20 years in the US I have trouble converting back to it.  Time to sit down with a calculator and do some pace conversions, maybe?

Only the local franchise not the national company.

Damaris