Beginners and Beyond

In a situation of war, should normal rules and ethics apply? (Read 109 times)

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

Read this

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's being debated in a very safe English court where most people have never had a fight in the street, never mind experienced a war zone.

However it's brutal and horrible.

Thoughts?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That is definitely beyond beginners.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

What is there to discuss? He killed a man who was not a threat at the time they found him. He was found guilty by the court of England.

Shakespeare once wrote the word c***? I didn't know that...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

You are incorrect.  It's a Court Martial.  He was tried by military officers and non-commissioned officers who have indeed experienced a war zone.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

From the "for what it's worth" department, I can say as someone with 30 years in uniform that rules do apply even in a war zone.  Those rules are frequently flexible and a soldier never gives up the right of self-defense but there are always rules of engagement.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

catwhoorg

Labrat

You are incorrect.  It's a Court Martial.  He was tried by military officers and non-commissioned officers who have indeed experienced a war zone.

This.

The evidence was there, he was judged by filks who have been there.

He is a disgrace to the uniform.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Thoughts?

Having seen a video of "the enemy" beheading a captive, my thoughts are that war should not be "played" by any rules.  It should be fought to complete and utter victory or unconditional surrender, and waged only in the most dire of situations.  Wasting human life on political posturing is what's truly criminal.

"You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us."

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Everyone knows that all is fair in love and war. Big grin

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

RSX

Crap my favorite site got switched to R&R.

delicate flower

Did you know the original title of War and Peace was War, What Is It Good For?

<3

Hip Redux

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

(seemed appropriate in this thread too)

happylily

Here we go again... Typical B&B answers... Nothing serious ever must be discussed. You force me all to go into L&O for my dose of interesting discussions. See what you do to me? Big grin

Hip Redux

Here we go again... Typical B&B answers... Nothing serious ever must be discussed. You force me all to go into L&O for my dose of interesting discussions. See what you do to me? Big grin

No one ever changes their mind in internet debates and most of the time, people use suspect facts and debate the same points over and over lol.  To me, it's a waste of time (and esp. w/religion and war).   I would much rather be amused.  Big grin

Hip Redux

Also - this.

happylily

No one ever changes their mind in internet debates and most of the time, people use suspect facts and debate the same points over and over lol.  To me, it's a waste of time (and esp. w/religion and war).   I would much rather be amused.  Big grin

I change my mind all the time after reading other people's opinions. For example, from now on for me, it's going to be: "Merry conifer Day!" Everyone likes a tree, right? Big grin