Beginners and Beyond

Ubiquitous Wednesday Penguins (Read 20 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

40 minutes done. 4.78 miles but no strides today. Werd.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - I get used to the cold after a while, but the first few days is always a shock. I remember last winter when I was so looking forward to it getting above 30 so I could run outdoors, and if the sun was shining 40 felt warm.

Brilliant - you're going to some interesting places.  Any chance you can find a race there?  Probably not in Vail right now, but Hawaii?

Damaris - I definitely qualify as an older runner ;-) 58 next month.

Jack - speedy!

obiebyke - hopefully the winter challenge will help you get your energy back. Sorry you've been sick.

Scotty - I wondered where you had disappeared to.  Hope you had a good Veterans Day.

Robert - good thing you got your miles in early.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'll re read the section on the MAF amount and what do they recommend for older runners, hold on.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

OK, here is the formula:

180 - Age

• MINUS 10 if recovering from a major illness (heart disease, operation, or hospital stay) or under regular medication
          • MINUS 5 if injured, regressed in training, have allergies or asthma, or inconsistent in training
          • KEEP THE NUMBER AS IS if you have been training consistently for 4 times a week for up to 2 years (I don't get to do the MINUS 5 because of this)
          • PLUS 5 if you have been training for more than two years without any of the problems listed above and have made progress in competition without injury

So, technically, mine should be 146 but I try to keep it at a happy medium of 143 (180 - Age = 141 + 5 is 146).

If you have been running for 2+ years, I would add 5 to that number.

EXCEPTIONS:

The formula should be adjusted for anyone above 65.  PLUS 10 could be added

Use 165 if the person is less than 16

I would add the 10 to your formula and see how it goes, even if you are not 65.

Damaris

PADRunner

OK, here is the formula:

180 - Age

• MINUS 10 if recovering from a major illness (heart disease, operation, or hospital stay) or under regular medication
            • MINUS 5 if injured, regressed in training, have allergies or asthma, or inconsistent in training
            • KEEP THE NUMBER AS IS if you have been training consistently for 4 times a week for up to 2 years (I don't get to do the MINUS 5 because of this)
            • PLUS 5 if you have been training for more than two years without any of the problems listed above and have made progress in competition without injury

So, technically, mine should be 146 but I try to keep it at a happy medium of 143 (180 - Age = 141 + 5 is 146).

If you have been running for 2+ years, I would add 5 to that number.

EXCEPTIONS:

The formula should be adjusted for anyone above 65.  PLUS 10 could be added

Use 165 if the person is less than 16

I would add the 10 to your formula and see how it goes, even if you are not 65.

I was looking into this also,  and apparently I'm running to hard. I should be 136 but my easy runs are in the mid 140s and that's at a 10:30+ pace. My long runs are in the mid 130sat a 11:30+ pace. Sad

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think you are doing the LRs at the right pace, PAD.  Try to slow down the easy runs a bit and see whether you see progress.  He has a once a month MAF test that could be used to gauge progress.  I can post that if interested.

Damaris

Ah...this is where I belong with fellow Peguins. I ran 3 miles this morning in a clear KS morning at 19*. Loved it. Crazy or not...true. This after a two day rest post half marathon in 56*! Ha! Gotta love Kansas.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

PADRunner

I think you are doing the LRs at the right pace, PAD.  Try to slow down the easy runs a bit and see whether you see progress.  He has a once a month MAF test that could be used to gauge progress.  I can post that if interested.

Thanks, I found it online here.. I may try it on tomorrows run. Maybe 140 target for 5.

obiebyke

I'm thinking more and more that I may need to try heart rate training. I know my aerobic fitness is crap but it's such an ego thing to have to walk. I think it's worth it though for heart/lung health, though, right? And get faster in the long run? That formula puts my 180 formula at 133. Wow that's low. I have officially put an HRM on my Christmas list. *scurries away to LHR training forum*

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

tracilynn

Welcome to the igloo Kathleen!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

So my run tonight went much better.  It always does after a crummy one.  I think it's the little things that made the most difference.  Last night, I realized that I hadn't stretched or rolled in forever.  That makes such a big difference for me.  It's like I had a new set of legs today.

Brilliant

Damaris, thanks for the further info.  I should pull my book out and give it another look.  I could definitely do +5 because I've been steadily progressing for the last couple of years.  (not as fast as I'd like, but definite progress)

Ginny, great idea. Smile  I just found races for all 3 weekends.  (yes, even a Turkey Trot in Vail!) But these are all trips with friends & family; I'm not sure how much I want to go out of the way for them.  For example, my friend is renting the car on Kauai and I won't be allowed to drive it.  The chances of her wanting to drive me to a race at 7AM on Saturday morning are very slim! Wink

Kathleen, that is crazy cold.  I don't think I've ever run in anything colder than upper 30s, and my eyes were tearing up and lungs were burning.  I can't imagine 19.

Zel, thanks for the reminder...I've been pretty stiff and sluggish yesterday and today.  I'm going to go do some stretching and rolling and hope tomorrow is better!