Beginners and Beyond

Memorial Day MonDAILIES (Read 51 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on the 7, flarunner.

Bruce, I hope you don't get as much rain as we have gotten in the last 3 days!

Enjoy the SRD, Step!

I am in West Memphis, Arkansas this morning...  I know it well, LRB!  I used to be stationed at Blytheville Air Force Base many years ago!  I am sure the whole area has changed quite a bit since I was there in the late 70s.

Congrats on the 14, Damaris.  Sorry about the bad migraine and nausea.  Surprised you can even run when dealing with that!

Way to go on your run, April!  Yeah, you sure are right about we runners.  However, Monday is normally a rest day for me...but since Gail kicked me out from underfoot, I thought I might as well just go run, lol.

That sounds delicious, Robert!  Enjoy!

Sorry you are not feeling 100%, Basya.   You still LOOK great though! You hottie you.... Joking

Good luck with your first day of marathon training, B-Plus!

Sorry about the dive-bomb mosquitoes and bites, Marjorie!  With all the standing water we have in San Antonio right now, I can relate!  Gail gave me this Avon spray-on stuff (non-toxic, no deet, etc) that works really well, and I keep that in my car for whenever needed - when I go to local parks, etc.   Can't remember the exact name of it right now, but you might do a search, you can probably find some online.

Congrats on your run, Andrew.  Your weather sounds really nice!  San Antonio is dealing with 'Miami' heat and humidity and dewpoint  right now, gaaack!  So sorry for that family's loss.

Enjoy the no-run day, DaveP.   Nice you got some yoga and walking in.

Way to go on your run, Zelanie; and... way to behave yourself!

Congrats to you and DW on your 10K, Jack!

Oski, congrats on your race!

Off to do a few things around the house and then will be back and read race reports.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I just got in from my run.  I enjoyed it much more than I would have had I tried dealing with the rain.  I did 8.35 miles total, including 6x10 second hill sprints - a sure sign that real training is right around the corner.

Jack...Nicely done!  Look forward to reading more about it.

Scotty...Hope you're enjoying your memorial day.  Enjoy the house work.

Oski...Great job...off to check out your RR.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Hip Redux

After lunch, I did a quick 15 mile bike ride with the DH, and then mowed the lawn.  Almost ran over a family of bunnies... that would have been a real downer, but thankfully I missed them.  Ugh.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Jack and DW!

Hi, guys.  Still dehydrated from the stupid migraine but watching a movie with DH made me feel a bit better.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Glad you miss them!

In here, people drive over duckies.  Very sad.  I have played cop several times saving as many as I can.  And that's inside my complex where people are driving 50mph instead of 20mph.

After lunch, I did a quick 15 mile bike ride with the DH, and then mowed the lawn.  Almost ran over a family of bunnies... that would have been a real downer, but thankfully I missed them.  Ugh.

Damaris

DavePNW

I hope you mean with your car, and not with your lawnmower. Because any bunnies to slow to get out of the way of a lawnmower probably don't have Darwin on their side anyway. And it would definitely be a downer to clean that off your mower blades.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

These are photos of Brackenridge Park, one of my favorite local San Antonio parks to run in.  With all the rain we've had over the last few days, these photos show some of the high-water areas in the park.  I ran in this park this morning...and had to make a lot of detours!

This picnic area is usually dry

This bird has a new water perch

Normally, you can run/walk on this sidewalk the whole length of the park.  Part if it is now underwater

This picnic table will be an 'island picnic area" till the water lowers

I normally can run over this footbridge to get to the other side of the park.

There is a road somewhere under all this water, used by traffic to get from one side of the park to the other when the water is at normal levels.

The other side of the park where the road comes out.  This park bench is usually in a dry area, providing a nice view of the river.

Usually you can see all of this metal structure in the water.

Another flooded-out picnic area.  This one is by Kohler Pavilion, for those familiar with the park.

Fast moving water going past the tree and yet another isolated picnic table

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Looks like Miami in the Summer.

Seriously, is everybody OK? Any houses lost?

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Looks like Miami in the Summer.

Seriously, is everybody OK? Any houses lost?

No houses lost, thank goodness.  Some had their lower levels flooded and some water damage, but none washed away, etc.  Lots of vehicles got stuck in water - mainly because they were idiot drivers who went around the road barriers, thinking they could make it through the water.  Those folks will get a nice big 'rescue bill' from the city fire department,  not to mention having to pay the $500 city fine for going around the traffic barrier.

Sadly, we had 3 fatalities, with the youngest being an 18-year old young man, who went under the water and was not found until the next day.

Hip Redux

I hope you mean with your car, and not with your lawnmower. Because any bunnies to slow to get out of the way of a lawnmower probably don't have Darwin on their side anyway. And it would definitely be a downer to clean that off your mower blades.

Oh, no, lawnmower.   They were babies and were hidden in the long grass (lots of rain here lately) and I only saw them when they scampered in front of the mower.    I've already had to deal with two dead Peter Cottontails on account of the dogs, I really don't need any more circle of life lessons!

Scotty - those pictures are nuts.  Wow.  I hope everyone is safe.

Hip Redux

For you cycling fans....

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/may/25/bike-tweets/

Live coverage of the National Cycling Championship in Chattanooga.

We're watching this now!  (DH DVR'ed it)

B-Plus

Wow, that's a lot of water Scotty! It's raining at a decent clip here right now, but not like what you guys had. What a day to kick off marathon training.

SIAR - I'll stop meddling in your thread now. My excuse is that I was helping you to keep it bumped.

I was thinking if going to yoga for runners after my run later this evening, but screw it.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow, that's a lot of water Scotty! It's raining at a decent clip here right now, but not like what you guys had. What a day to kick off marathon training.

SIAR - I'll stop meddling in your thread now. My excuse is that I was helping you to keep it bumped.

I was thinking if going to yoga for runners after my run later this evening, but screw it.

Haha no, I appreciate it. I'll get back there when I have the laptop out again. I'm actually leaning towards trying 4 weeks of what's in the McMillan link I posted. That's more in line with what you wanted. I couldn't tell, was the mikeymike comment a compliment or dig? I'm good either way, just curious ha.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

B-Plus, enjoy the eight.

Marjorie, terrific 10.1. I hope that the bug bites are healed soon.

Brrrrrrr, beautiful tempo run.

Nicole, enjoy the time in your in-laws' area.

Damaris, I'm glad that you're feeling better.

Tom, beautiful ten.

kristin10185, congratulations to your dad!

DaveP MI, bravo on the yoga.

Zelanie, I'm happy that the two TM miles went well.

scottydawg, busy Memorial Day weekend you had there.

Jack, congratulations to you and DW!

SIAR, excellent 8.35.

Oski, fun impromptu ride. Being surprised by the bunnies must have been terrifying.

I slept more today. At the gym, I began tapering upward. I did two sets of each weight-training exercise and forty push-ups. I felt good enough that I went ahead and did a full forty-five minutes on the AMT. I still have to do my ab work for the day.

I'm looking forward to running and lifting more tomorrow.

At the gym, I saw a guy wearing an elevation training mask. I'd been thinking about buying one myself, so I asked him what he thought. He raved about it. I really want one now!

Will run for scenery.

Same as last week : my LR was good, body felt fine, then the next day SO SLEEPY!

I googled around a bit and it sounds like maybe I need to eat after my LRs.  I drink tons of water, but don't have much of an appetite.  I've still got some pounds to shed, so I usually wait until later when I'm hungry.

Anybody have experience w/ this ?  Does post-LR nutrition make you feel better the next day ?

Happy M-day, what's left of it.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!