Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES! (Read 45 times)

DavePNW

Ortho PA says the injury is to the meniscus, not MCL, though I do have more "play" in the MCL on the injured knee than the other one. Nothing shows up on x-rays, so he ordered an MRI and a follow-up with the surgeon to see if it is a tear (=scope) or a less severe injury (=PT/strengthening). Meanwhile, non-impact activity as tolerated until we know what it is, but they'll get me back out there. Hopefully the insurance OK for the MRI comes through quickly so I can get it scheduled in the next week or so.

And he reaffirmed what I already know about my workout routines: time to get back to strength training and yoga for the joint support and range of motion.

Not sure if you remember my deal in 2013. Knee pain that would not go away, PT which did not help; finally got an MRI  and a very small meniscus tear turned up. Ortho #1 said the only real solution was surgery, although could try a cortisone shot first. Saw ortho #2 (in the same office!) for follow up 6 weeks later. He said the tear was not consistent with my pain, and small tears can often be asymptomatic, especially with people who are in good shape. Actually by that time the pain had started to go away on its own, and I ended up doing nothing. Moral of the story is to get a second opinion.

Dave

LRB

Time for my first venting of this marathon cycle.  I am only in week 4 but so far I am not feeling it.  In the past I was "Cool! I get to run 15 miles today!" Now I'm "I have to run 15 miles today, dammit."  I think part of (or all of) the problem is that I am having such a crappy year at work and I think it is wearing me down. Hopefully, I will get my mojo back, and soon.

Vent over.

Or that you are just not into them things (long runs). That is the problem for me, I fuckin hate them with a capitol F. lol

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Or that you are just not into them things (long runs). That is the problem for me, I fuckin hate them with a capitol F. lol

You could be right. I used to look forward to them. Now, not so much. In any case, I am going to stick with it and try to kick ass on race day. After that, we'll see. It could be my last marathon for the foreseeable future (though I have said before). I signed up for a HM on March 8 so we'll see how that goes. Besides, Jay has motivated me to grow a marathon mustache for this cycle and I don't want to give up on that.

LRB

Besides, Jay has motivated me to grow a marathon mustache for this cycle and I don't want to give up on that.

Meanwhile I just shaved my signature goatee and now look like a damn munchkin. 

DavePNW

Meanwhile I just shaved my signature goatee and now look like a damn munchkin. 

Think of the improved aerodynamics!

Dave

From the Internet.

You could be right. I used to look forward to them. Now, not so much. In any case, I am going to stick with it and try to kick ass on race day. After that, we'll see. It could be my last marathon for the foreseeable future (though I have said before). I signed up for a HM on March 8 so we'll see how that goes. Besides, Jay has motivated me to grow a marathon mustache for this cycle and I don't want to give up on that.

That is an excellent reason to stick with marathon training, haha Smile Hope you find your mojo soon!

LRB

Think of the improved aerodynamics!

Which is why I did it, of course.

From the Internet.

Lauren, you can do this!  Once you get the muse, you'll do the thesis in strides and bounds (trust me).  Good luck!

I hope it shows up ASAP, I want to get as much done early as possible so I can spend the few weeks leading up to my defense just editing/tweaking things. Fortunately science is a whole lot of description, so I'm just hammering out the descriptive stuff now with the hope that it will lead to some inspiration for the introduction/discussion sections.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Time for my first venting of this marathon cycle.  I am only in week 4 but so far I am not feeling it.  In the past I was "Cool! I get to run 15 miles today!" Now I'm "I have to run 15 miles today, dammit."  I think part of (or all of) the problem is that I am having such a crappy year at work and I think it is wearing me down. Hopefully, I will get my mojo back, and soon.

Vent over.

Yeap, when life or work sucks, I feel that way.  Think of running as your stress reliever.  Maybe that will help?

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I want to run tomorrow (so badly), but I wonder if I should stick to the plan I now have until no pain is present....... decisions, decisions.....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I want to run tomorrow (so badly), but I wonder if I should stick to the plan I now have until no pain is present....... decisions, decisions.....

Well, DUHHHHH.....do you need a good....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

We can only put forth that type of effort so many times a year without some sort of reset.  Some of us are more resilient than others.

Going through similar 'issues' myself.

Wink

Vent over.

DavePNW

I just shaved my signature goatee

Jay has motivated me to grow a marathon mustache

Time for a controlled scientific experiment - impact of facial hair on race performance!

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Not sure if you remember my deal in 2013. Knee pain that would not go away, PT which did not help; finally got an MRI  and a very small meniscus tear turned up. Ortho #1 said the only real solution was surgery, although could try a cortisone shot first. Saw ortho #2 (in the same office!) for follow up 6 weeks later. He said the tear was not consistent with my pain, and small tears can often be asymptomatic, especially with people who are in good shape. Actually by that time the pain had started to go away on its own, and I ended up doing nothing. Moral of the story is to get a second opinion.

I would be suspicious of talk of a tear if this hadn't been a traumatic injury, but landing from a jump, hearing/feeling a pop and having the knee collapse under you is a sign something not good happened. And then having it again go out and that knee unable to support weight for a few days ...  I will ask for a second opinion before anything gets cut open, but I also want this to heal, not just be mostly pain-free, but not completely vulnerable to every twist or jump I attempt.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

From the Internet.

Time for a controlled scientific experiment - impact of facial hair on race performance!

Send me the data, I'll analyze it!