Beginners and Beyond

Clif Bar Mountains 2 Beach Marathon RR - Debut for Mrs. Klompus (bad pics added) (Read 99 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Actually, our older DD, who runs XC and track, has already run a HM with us. She ran a 1:42 without even trying. It was pretty cool. 

Is this the one who doesn't have a really high competitive drive and just does this for fun?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Is this the one who doesn't have a really high competitive drive and just does this for fun?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

That's the one. I did an RR on this last summer. We were on a trip to Montana and she ran the HM. This was before XC pre-season training started and her coach told her to run it at 70%. She was taking selfies, stopped to talk with kids who were passing out Gummi Bears, and when she got cups of water, she even ran back to the table to give them the cup. It was her first race and she didn't know you could throw the cups on the ground! Cute kid...

happylily

It's the kid who was immortalized by Cherie in a beautiful oil painting.  Kids like her make us look so slow. Gotta lov'em... 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Baboon

delicate flower

It was her first race and she didn't know you could throw the cups on the ground! Cute kid...

We don't like her.

<3

happylily

We don't like her.

LOL...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Not quite right

Grats Jack and wife Smile

Ric-G

that was truly excellent for a debut marathon....congrats to your wife and your pacing....well done!

marathon pr - 3:16

outoftheblue

Wonderful RR Jack.   Your description of your wife trying to push through those last miles and the crowd urging the "Green Machine" on, made my eyes go a bit misty.   Congrats to you both!

On a small aside, I loved your t-shirt at the packet pick-up.  I need one of those for my brother.

Life is good.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wait...they have mountains named for an Energy Bar?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Do they have a 6 hour canned marathon plan, Jack ?  

hog4life

Jack, you guys look great! Congrats to both of you.

Love the Half

That's really not a blow up in the last miles.  It's a bit of a fade but that's what you'd expect from a lower mileage plan.  Add in the heat and it looks like she ran a terrific race.  I'm trying to link to the video "Marathon: The Day After" but there seems to be a problem with it.  If I find it without a problem, I'll link it and I think she'll get a good chuckle from it.

Here we go.

Marathon: The Day After

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

That's really not a blow up in the last miles.  It's a bit of a fade but that's what you'd expect from a lower mileage plan.  Add in the heat and it looks like she ran a terrific race.  I'm trying to link to the video "Marathon: The Day After" but there seems to be a problem with it.  If I find it without a problem, I'll link it and I think she'll get a good chuckle from it.

Here we go.

Marathon: The Day After

Heh heh... Exactly.

Congrats "Jack and Doris"!

That is one heck of a debut for Mrs. K, no doubt that she'll get that BQ next time.

Congrats to you and Doris! I can completely see you two running down Boylston together some day. Good luck.