Beginners and Beyond

Clif Bar Mountains 2 Beach Marathon RR - Debut for Mrs. Klompus (bad pics added) (Read 99 times)

B-Plus

Congrats Green Machine! Great marathon for Mrs. K. That was so close and I hope you get to run Boston together one day.

Bin Running

Congrats to you both.. Finishing a Marathon with your loved ones is so cool.. I am sure you and your Mrs will relive this race over and over again.. It will be a cool story for your grand children..

"This one time, your granny and I decided to train and run a Marathon together.. "

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

meaghansketch

Awesome job, congrats to you both, and especially your wife on an amazing sub-4:00 debut!  She was lucky to have you pacing her, I am sure it helped her both rein it in at the beginning and keep it up at the end.  Very good consistent splits up until the end, and even though there was a little bit of a fade at the end, that's almost to be expected for first-time marathoners or if heat/sun becomes a factor.

Congratulations!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats Jack and Doris!  And way to stick with her, Jack, and help her get it done.  You two make a nice team!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

DavePNW

Outstanding race, and great story. Major props to Mrs K - for the fade to not begin till 23 in a first (or any) marathon is pretty damn impressive. And based on the splits, there wasn't really a major slowdown till 26. And even that was nothing like the late-race collapse that some of us have experienced. NTIWKAAT. And big props to Mr K - to go out and run a marathon as a pacer, knowing you are not going to be able to do your best is a sacrifice, you should be earning a lot of points for that.

Definite cause for celebration in the Klompus household. Tip calculators for everyone!

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Believe me, they are MUCH appreciated and help keep me going. Smile

LRB: Yes, she has stopped eating, but last night while she was making dinner, she told me she wants to do another one! That did not take long at all. Those 32 seconds will not be soon forgotten. I think with the experience she now has and some more miles under her belt she will get that sub 3:55.

redrum: When is the next 5 or 10K?

Brr: I'm glad my wardrobe choices are so entertaining for you. Smile

meaghansketch: You pretty much nailed it. The heat wore her down and running by the finish and out again did not help either.

DaveP: Hey, who couldn't use a good tip calculator?  Lol...

tracilynn

Oh man. 32 seconds. No way she is NOT gonna do another one. I think you will be pacing her again sooner than you think. She already knows this but hasn't broken it to you yet   Trust me she is plotting. Haha

Such a great debut. Love the pics and the RR.

You're funny!

I Wonder when runner dd will tackle the marathon?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Baboon

delicate flower

Seems to me that She-Klompus is a bit of a natural.  It took me three marathons to get under 3:55, and here she goes and bangs one out just like that.  Sooo close to a BQ, too!  She really held it together well.  Most first timers don't hang on for that long.  Great job pacing her and trying to keep her dialed back, Klompus.  Also, the race started at 62 degrees?  That's warm.  You've seen my whinefest RR and yours was warmer.  Given she doesn't have the volume or solid base, I think she'll BQ pretty easily in her next cycle.  Also, congrats for marrying up.

<3

DavePNW

It took me three marathons to get under 3:55, and here she goes and bangs one out just like that. 

+1

Although keep in mind she was trained & paced by the man who founded The Klompus Klub, For Those Who BQ Their Debut(TM) .

Dave

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Great report, nice job from the Klopmus's.  If running wives are HOT, how'd she land a dude like you!  What I find in this story is that you both have given your kids the athletic gene, the bug to keep active, which will help them their entire lives.  Wouldn't surprise me that in 20 years or so one of your kids (hopefully sooner) runs a HM or a full marathon.  And the tradition then continues on......

Dreamn

Congrats to you and DW. Those final miles were absolutely deflating and demoralizing. Enjoy some R&R. Hopefully DW is proud of the fantastic race that she ran and her ability to tough it out.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've run one marathon set up like that and it's cruel to be that close to the finish and have another 1.5-2 miles left to run. I see another running couple vacationing all over the country, if not the world, running races together. Congrats on Mrs. K's first. I hope the official race pictures include a great one of the two of you finishing together.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Nice job!

Yes, passing by the arch on any race is cruel and evil!  But nice job in any case!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Seems to me that She-Klompus is a bit of a natural.  It took me three marathons to get under 3:55, and here she goes and bangs one out just like that.  Sooo close to a BQ, too!  She really held it together well.  Most first timers don't hang on for that long.  Great job pacing her and trying to keep her dialed back, Klompus.  Also, the race started at 62 degrees?  That's warm.  You've seen my whinefest RR and yours was warmer.  Given she doesn't have the volume or solid base, I think she'll BQ pretty easily in her next cycle.  Also, congrats for marrying up.

?!?! LMAO!!! Thanks for the compliment (I think)  Smile

Traci: Umm.. it didn't take long. Her plotting is complete. She has her eye on a marathon in September.  Also, DD wants to run marathons with us but not until she is done with high school in a year.

DaveP: You beat me to the trademark!

fourouta5: Actually, our older DD, who runs XC and track, has already run a HM with us. She ran a 1:42 without even trying. It was pretty cool.

wc: Funny you should that say because I have family in Germany so we are going to try for the Berlin or Munich marathon on our next trip.

Thanks again, everyone.

DavePNW

Actually, our older DD, who runs XC and track, has already run a HM with us. She ran a 1:42 without even trying. It was pretty cool.

NOT COOL!

(J/K, actually amazingly cool.)

Dave