Beginners and Beyond

Wrothful Wednesday Penguins (Read 33 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dad on the run.

6.2 miles lastnight, ITB starting flaring up again. Came home did a 20 min stretch routine and was going to get up this morning and go ahead and get my run in for the day and be done. However after about .3 miles I could barely run. Can shoes cause ITBS? I bought a new pair of Reebok and have had issues ever since I bought the shoes. I've never had ITB issues before...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Jimmy YES the wrong shoes can cause (or at least contribute to) ITBS!

Unfortunately I need a URD....took one yesterday too but forgot to mention it here. I went to one of those doc in a box places by my bf's house Monday and got on antibiotics (sinus infection) and my GI system is very sensitive to antibiotics. I've been nauseous all day, with other very unpleasant GI side effects as well Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Jimmy, if you've had some sort of trouble ever since the new shoes, I say take them back. Hope you find a solution. Are you trying to push your pace too much?

Kristin, sorry for the GI issues, I understand these all too well.

I would like to get 6-7 after work tonight. I kind of heard a rumor yesterday that I might be on 12 hour shifts for another month or two. Don't they know I'm trying to train for a marathon? Geeze!!!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wroth:  in commotion; stormy.  And today that sure is what San Antonio is.  Started raining last night, wind blowing pretty good, and still continuing through today.   Temps here now are in the low 60s and that is about as good as it will get today.  Rain is supposed to clear out this afternoon a bit. I don't usually run on Wednesdays but I am going to take advantage of this cooler weather and get a run in.

Today's holidays:

Boss' Day - If you have a good boss, do something nice for him/her today.   If you have a bad boss...well....sorry!

World Food Day  - Global movement to end world hunger.

Dictionary Day - In recognition of Noah Webster, born on October 16, 1758.

Department Store Day -  Love to shop?  Today is your day!  In recognition of today, lots of stores will be having sales. The first department store in the US, by the way, was the Marble Dry-Goods Palace in New York City, established in 1845.  It took up one whole block.

National Feral Cat Day - in recognition of abandoned kitties and the importance of spaying/neutering your kitties. Gail and I have a feral cat program in our county.  We have an industrial park nearby to our neighborhood and unfortunately, uncaring, irresponsible folks go in there a lot to dump their unwanted pets.   At one time several years ago we had about 80 feral cats wandering around our subdivision.  We worked with the county folks and our neighbors on our street and rounded up nearly all of them with humane traps and got them all spayed and neutered.  They are then released back into our neighborhood with an ear tag to show they have been spayed/neutered and are now "protected" cats by the county.  The reason they are released back into the neighborhood is because they are very territorial and keep other cats out, so we won't be right back where we started, with new cats coming in.   So, with the county's help, a bunch of our street residents help feed them all to keep them around and then they just die off over the years from natural causes.  We have gone from 80 cats in our immediate area down to about 20 or so in the last 15 years.

dog, workplace, dental, coverage, bone, excitement, job, manager,

KEYWORD1  2012-03-12  gumby  character  characters  head  heads  slant  slants  slanted

construction, roof, dance, contractor, music, raise, manager,

bad boss cartoons, bad boss cartoon, bad boss picture, bad boss pictures, bad boss image, bad boss images, bad boss illustration, bad boss illustrations

bad boss cartoons, bad boss cartoon, bad boss picture, bad boss pictures, bad boss image, bad boss images, bad boss illustration, bad boss illustrations

hungry cartoons, hungry cartoon, hungry picture, hungry pictures, hungry image, hungry images, hungry illustration, hungry illustrations

alligator, reindeer, carnivore, Christmas list,

dictionary cartoons, dictionary cartoon, dictionary picture, dictionary pictures, dictionary image, dictionary images, dictionary illustration, dictionary illustrations

KEYWORD1  2011-09-29  cat  cats  feline  felines  pet  pets  animal  animals

KEYWORD1  2011-01-11  spongebob  spongebob squarepants  parody  parodies  purchase  purchasing  purc

KEYWORD1  2010-12-22  christmas  holiday  holidays  santa  santa claus  claus  kris kringle  st. nic

department store cartoons, department store cartoon, department store picture, department store pictures, department store image, department store images, department store illustration, department store illustrations

department store cartoons, department store cartoon, department store picture, department store pictures, department store image, department store images, department store illustration, department store illustrations

feral cat cartoons, feral cat cartoon, feral cat picture, feral cat pictures, feral cat image, feral cat images, feral cat illustration, feral cat illustrations

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Jimmy, could definitely be the shoes contributing, I agree with taking them back, maybe see if you can swap them for a model you're already familiar with?  Trying new shoes can be tough sometimes.  That's why I love runningwarehouse, they'll take back shoes that you've already run in (providing you don't abuse the policy).  I've returned two pairs, one for myself and one for my wife, with no issues.

Kristin, hope you feel better soon!

Mitch, tell them you'll work 12 hour shift, but that you'll need a two hour break in the middle of each shift so you can go run. Smile lol

AFM, had an absolutely fantastic run this morning!

Leave for San Diego tomorrow for two weeks for work, should be fun, already scouting out some running routes. Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Boss's Day.  We get ours roses so she will be human for 1 day.

Want to try again for a long run this afternoon.  Getting a cold, so maybe.

PADRunner

Morning all, .1 hard and 4 easy miles this morning. The hard was getting out in the cold dark rain! After I got moving it wasn't too bad.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about the ITB flare-up, Jimmy.  You seem to have been doing so well lately.  Yes, shoes can be a problem.  I cannot run in Reebok at all, their models just have never worked for me...always had ankle and AT issues when I tried reeboks. Hate those damn shoes!

What the heck is a 'doc in a box', Kristin?  Does not sound very reputable.   Sorry you are not feeling better, hope that changes quickly!

Hope you can get your miles in, Mitch!  12 hour shifts, that sucks.  Guess you are going to have to get long runs in by just making your commute a run to-and-from work.   Wink

Safe trip to San Diego, Dave!  Great place to run.  Visited friends there and really enjoyed all the running spots that were available.  Nice parks, run ocean-side, etc.

Good luck with the run later, Jerry, hope you can fight off your oncoming cold.

Way to get out the door, PAD, especially in that weather.   Winter, it is a-coming. At least for you, anyway.  MY winters here in San Antonio consists mostly of temps in the 40s and 50s, with just an occasional day or two near freezing temps.  Neeener neener neener.... Wink

obiebyke

My new shoes were, indeed, waiting for me when I got home last night. They're SO ugly but I love them: blue/lime/pink Mizuno Wave Inspire 9's. I got a good deal on them, and they felt great when I tried them on. Today the plan is an easy 5. I'm a little worried about this pain behind my knee, but I'm pretty convinced it's just tightness. I'll try to be a good girl and ice it after running today.

Jimmy and Kristin, hope you feel better!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Good Morning!

I'm back from vacation in Nashville and need to catch up on what happened over the weekend on here, but I wanted to get my post in.  On monday I got in a little over 4 miles.  I wasn't counting on the Nashville Sun feeling sooo hot. The temp was only 75, but the sun was just beating down... I definitely wasn't hydrated enough because by the time I hit 4 miles I was beginning to feel a bit dizzy, so I just walked after that.

Today I plan to do an easy 2 mile run!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Last night I ran 8.03 miles with my 7x400 intervals sandwiched in. My new Kinvaras should be waiting for me when I get home so I'm looking to put about 4 on the odometer!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Zelanie

Morning!  Mystery track workout tonight.  I do wish they'd send the workouts the night before so I could program my watch, but we can't have everything, right?  This morning I am taking DD out for breakfast, and then dropping her off to take the PSATs.  She has to take them at a different school since we will be out of town this weekend when her school is holding them.

Scotty- Thanks for getting us started!  I had a feral cat once.  She and her littermates were living in a blackberry bramble and not doing so well.  We caught her and after a week or so, she became a very sweet cat.  Not until after getting some good bites in, though!

Jimmy- The shoes could definitely be a factor.

kristin- Hope you feel better soon!

Mitch- Boo to 12 hour shifts!

D2- Sounds like a great time of year to be running in San Diego!

Jerry- What else can you do today that won't require you to breathe through your nose?  LR might be more pleasant than anything else you could do!

PAD- I hear you about that hard .1 mile!  Glad you got that one done!

obie- Hope you have a good run.  I think I've been able to take care of tightness behind the knee by rolling my hamstrings.  Hope you find something that works well.

kjtd- This time of year and with full sun, that would feel hot!  Good luck on your run today!

Dad on the run.

Unfortunately I bought the shoes from Dicks and believe I'm past my return policy.  We usually buy shoes from zappos. With a 365 day return policy and free shipping both ways it's hard to beat. We have sent back about 5 pairs of shoes before we found the right ones for my wife.

Hog - yesterday's run was at a 10:15 Avg pace, so I don't think it's going to fast that's the issue. I may try a few miles tonight in my Brooks pure flow and see how my leg feels.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Haha scotty that is what I call those walk-in medical facilities that a lot of regions have. They have regional chains and depending on what area you're in they're called things like "Patient First," "Convenient Care," "Urgent Care," "RightTime," they are big places with a ton of doctors and nurses and  pharmacy on location that have either long hours (til like 11pm) or are open 24hours and take walk-ins. We don't have them in NYC. I like them if you know what you need and don't want to have to wait to get an appointment at your primary care physician....for example if you just need antibiotics.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to