Beginners and Beyond

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, an RR (Read 91 times)

DavePNW

People, what's with the math in your head? Don't you own expensive Garmin watches with gazillions  of features? Surely you have a virtual pacer feature or something like that! No? After all the basic features (time, distance, pace), that is the most important feature to me.

Mine is pretty basic anyway, but the problem is it only tells you what you've done, not what you need to do. Like I need to average x pace over the final 2.2 miles to achieve y finishing time. That's what I need. Not that I can generally do anything about it at that point.

Dave

LRB

IMaybe as time passes I may appreciate it more. I just feel I could've done a few things differently/better. And as you know with a marathon unlike a shorter race, you can't just turn around & try again in a couple weeks. WAIT, SOME PEOPLE CAN.

Actually it's okay, the marathon is your number one race distance so it makes sense that you are harder on yourself, no different than I am with my number one race distance the 5k.

I can appreciate the passion that you, lily and the many others who race it often have for the marathon and the drive to do better.  It is what will lead to success in future races for each of you.

Meanwhile I was okay with my race the moment I crossed the finish line and the further I get from it the better I feel about it.  That is odd because I can piss and moan about a race with the best of them but I left that event with great respect for what I had just done, even after falling far short of what I had hoped.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

What Dave said. Garmin only tells you where you are, not where you need to be.

People, what's with the math in your head? Don't you own expensive Garmin watches with gazillions  of features? Surely you have a virtual pacer feature or something like that! No? After all the basic features (time, distance, pace), that is the most important feature to me.

happylily

Just a final word to thank all of you for your good words and congratulations. One of the best parts of this community is that we get to share our stories and experiences with other runners, and in the process, are offered support, encouragement and advice. You have all been kind to me and I hope I can offer you the same in return.

LRB, thank you for your always non-judgemental advice and constant support.

Damaris, thanks a lot! You are like a ray of sunshine to me in our dailies. :-)

Cy, B-Plus, Jerry, Dave, thanks a lot, guys!

OOTB, thank you for your kind words. :-) Interesting about your sensation! I usually do not play around with my laces and had never had a problem with them before. This time however, it was a new pair of shoes, never tried on, and my SO remarked that they seemed a little loose at the base. He offered to adjust them for me and ended up lacing way to tight on both feet. Only one hurt, though. I didn't want to tell him after the race, because I knew he'd feel bad. But he read my RR and now feels guilty. Poor darling. It was my fault really, for not doing it myself.

onemile, thanks a lot. I know I sound like a clown when I write my RRs, but believe me, I take my training and my racing very seriously and I apply 99% of the known principles out there. It's just that sometimes I think we make way too big a thing over what we call universal truths. We are and will always remain recreational runners and nothing will change that. I was a 3:30 runner when I toed that start line last Sunday and no amount of even splits could have changed that. I finished a 3:30 runner, even with some uneven splits, because I knew it would work for me. Only better training can bring me a better time.

FreeSoul, thank you! I sincerely hope you have a great experience with your first. It doesn't matter so much what time you finish in, what matters is that you finish exalted and happy. You will do great!

Ginny, Julie in NZ and Phil, thank you so much!

Tim, thank you and congratulations to you as well!

Jay, hahaha... I come from an era when Quebecois were disliked outside of Quebec and I am always afraid that showing my colors in a city like Toronto will look like provocation. But times have changed and people are very respectful and welcoming, no matter where we're from. Next time I run in English Canada, I should proudly dress in blue and white fleur de lys. :-) Thanks!

TO, that's a good description of the course. I hadn't thought about the wind, but I guess there was a bit of it that day. I did find that there were a few inclines in the last miles that I would gladly have preferred in the beginning instead. The way you ran that half, you will rock New York City, my friend!

Scotty, thank you! I have been thinking about taking immodium. Not something I would gladly do, as I hate taking pills or any type of medication products, but for long races, maybe I will have no choice if this continues. I'll see in New York. Thanks for the advice!

Lauren, Jack and Brilliant, BinRunning and Mitch, thank you so much!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

Wear a habs jersey next time!

happylily

Wear a habs jersey next time!

Yes, that'd be cool! Great idea! Wish I had one for NYC. Maybe I'm going shopping this afternoon. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

Maybe just a cap or arm warmers, since they probably don't make running singlets.

LRB

Maybe just a cap or arm warmers, since they probably don't make running singlets.

She would need a little more than that as NYC has a strict policy against streaking. 

B-Plus

She would need a little more than that as NYC has a strict policy against streaking. 

FTW 

Cyberic

I have a Max Pacioretty jersey I could lend you. Of course, it would probably go down to your ankles Big grin

MI_Tim

I have a Max Pacioretty jersey I could lend you. Of course, it would probably go down to your ankles Big grin

Go Blue

B-Plus

Sorry for the hijack. Did you guys see Eric's blog post on #STWM?

http://www.ericgillis.org/2014/10/stwm-2014.html

Cyberic

I just read his RR. Well, he's a little better than me.

Jokes aside, nice to read a RR from an elite (to me 2:11 is elite).

LRB

I found his comments on the state of his quads at the 7k mark interesting, apparently dead legs is not just reserved for hobby joggers.  Also his disdain for racing with the Garmin and stating that he would not run another marathon with it.

Over all a good read.

B-Plus

I found his comments on the state of his quads at the 7k mark interesting, apparently dead legs is not just reserved for hobby joggers.  Also his disdain for racing with the Garmin and stating that he would not run another marathon with it.

Over all a good read.

I was going to quote that in the auto lapping thread!