Beginners and Beyond

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, an RR (Read 91 times)

DavePNW

It can also be a relief depending on how you look at these thngs.  I mean once you have accepted that your A or B goal is gone there's nothing left but to hang tough and do your best.

It's funny, I have vivid memories from each race of the point where I fully realized that my goal time was not gonna happen, and there was nothing I could do about it. (Because it happened in all my races so far.) Do other people have this?

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't think I could run with a pacer.  I start way slower than I finish and I run huge negative splits if I can breathe throughout the race.  For those reasons, I can never be a pacer either.  they would kill me.

Damaris

LRB

It's funny, I have vivid memories from each race of the point where I fully realized that my goal time was not gonna happen, and there was nothing I could do about it. (Because it happened in all my races so far.) Do other people have this?

Well I have run in a billion races so no, but there are a few (mostly when the pace group drifts off) that stick out absolutely.

happylily

Dave, I have this weird habit of not looking at the actual accumulated time on my garmin. I just look at the splits individually. And since they are generally all over the place, I'm never certain of what is happening. I just do my best, and prefer not knowing the outcome. I only find out my finish time when I look up at the clock at the finish line. Of course, I already know beforehand whether things went well or if they went wrong. But I don't have a clue of the exact finish time. I look up on the big clock, then I look at my garmin for the chip time. On a few occasions, it has brought me some very pleasant surprises. Other times, the number on the clock is actually worse than I had suspected, but I think it's better that I found out at the end. I might have given up mentally otherwise.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I don't look at accumulated time mostly because it stops making sense the longer I run, and after mile 21 or 22 forget it.  lol

B-Plus

I don't look at accumulated time mostly because it stops making sense the longer I run, and after mile 21 or 22 forget it.  lol

I should try that. Then I don't have to struggle to do math in my head at mile 23.

happylily

Exactly! I remember once, in Hamilton, I reached the 23rd mile and looked at the accumulated time on my garmin, I was shocked to see 3:00 exactly. Only 3.2 miles to go. Then I started thinking "Julie, you've worked hard so far, harder than you had expected you would. It's ok if you take a few minutes to walk. You deserve them..." I finished the damn thing in 3:32:something. It took me 32 minutes to cover 3.2 friggin' miles!!!!  It would have been better if I had NOT looked at my garmin.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I always try not to look at it.  In Chicago, I did and for some reason I thought I was finishing way later than I did.

I won math titles in HS.  Sniff.

Damaris

DavePNW

Well I have run in a billion races so no, but there are a few (mostly when the pace group drifts off) that stick out absolutely.

I should have specified I am referring only to my 4 marathons. (As I have met or exceeded my goal in every other race!)

Dave, I have this weird habit of not looking at the actual accumulated time on my garmin. I just look at the splits individually. And since they are generally all over the place, I'm never certain of what is happening. I just do my best, and prefer not knowing the outcome. I only find out my finish time when I look up at the clock at the finish line. Of course, I already know beforehand whether things went well or if they went wrong. But I don't have a clue of the exact finish time. I look up on the big clock, then I look at my garmin for the chip time. On a few occasions, it has brought me some very pleasant surprises. Other times, the number on the clock is actually worse than I had suspected, but I think it's better that I found out at the end. I might have given up mentally otherwise.

Yeah this is me too. Kicking myself for not doing a better job looking at accumulated time on Sunday, since if I could possibly have cut off 30+ sec, I would have made it 3:39: xx instead of 3:40: xx.

Dave

happylily

I should have specified I am referring only to my 4 marathons. (As I have met or exceeded my goal in every other race!)

Yeah this is me too. Kicking myself for not doing a better job looking at accumulated time on Sunday, since if I could possibly have cut off 30+ sec, I would have made it 3:39: xx instead of 3:40: xx.

See, things like that make no difference to me. I have two 3:40:something and I was hugely happy when I got them. It never crossed my mind that it would mean more if the numbers were 3:39:something. They are just numbers...

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I only look at the elapsed time if I have a pace bracelet with mile splits.  Otherwise, I just try to keep each lap/mile pace at or under target.  It's a lot easier than doing math late in the race.

My brain stops working anyway around Mile 20 in a marathon.  It's a mental sport, you know, so we're all insane.

LRB

I have two 3:40:something and I was hugely happy when I got them.

He should be too but has been hanging around the wrong damn crowd this year. 

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

DavePNW

See, things like that make no difference to me. I have two 3:40:something and I was hugely happy when I got them. It never crossed my mind that it would mean more if the numbers were 3:39:something. They are just numbers...

In reality, I suppose maybe also not as big a deal to me as I tend to think it would be. In the HM I did 6 weeks earlier, I really wanted to break 1:40, and ended up with a big negative split and strong kick to finish at 1:39:51. Which of course I was pretty psyched about, but it turns out I still say I ran a 1:40 because it seems ridiculous to call it a 1:39.

I only look at the elapsed time if I have a pace bracelet with mile splits.  Otherwise, I just try to keep each lap/mile pace at or under target.  It's a lot easier than doing math late in the race.

My brain stops working anyway around Mile 20 in a marathon.  It's a mental sport, you know, so we're all insane.

I had big ideas going into the race, but you get into it & it all kind of falls apart. I was even thinking about using manual lap at the actual mile markers to be more accurate. Ha ha as if those seconds would've mattered. (Good thing I didn't as there were a few mile markers I never saw.) And yeah in the last few miles I don't even want to look at my watch.

He should be too but has been hanging around the wrong damn crowd this year. 

Maybe as time passes I may appreciate it more. I just feel I could've done a few things differently/better. And as you know with a marathon unlike a shorter race, you can't just turn around & try again in a couple weeks. WAIT, SOME PEOPLE CAN.

Dave

Cyberic

I should try that. Then I don't have to struggle to do math in my head at mile 23.

People, what's with the math in your head? Don't you own expensive Garmin watches with gazillions  of features? Surely you have a virtual pacer feature or something like that! No? After all the basic features (time, distance, pace), that is the most important feature to me.